• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
How could you not want an incredibly slow tiny boss that degrades a character? m8, b grateful tht he's evn n ths gaem, and be happi 1nce Anthony m8kes it. Freaking casual skrub.

Please note that the above is sarcasm and I in no way, shape, or form share this opinion.
I can imagine the same scenario with Brash the Bear instead of K. Rool (IF he were to be leaked as a boss character on the new DK stage). :troll:

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
PERCENT.

PER CENT.

OH MY GOODNESS. I JUST FIGURED THAT OUT. PER ONE HUNDRETH. OH MY GOODNESS. Am I happy or angry I'm not even sure.

yosharioIII

Smash Apprentice
You know, if they DO put in Ridley (which at this point, would literally turn my stomach into fireworks) I'm sure Sakurai would explain in video about who he exactly is. Like how he's a super cunning genius and the leader of the space pirates and the most recurring Metroid character besides Smaus herself, and not a mindless monster, or some random boss, or "another dragon" (OR EVEN A POKEMON FOR THAT MATTER). And then, after Sakurai says all that, everyone'll be, "Ohhh. Cool. I never listened when anyone else said it, but now that Sakurai said it, it's fine. Ridley's cool. I like him." Imagine it. Mm. 'Cause it's probably never happen D:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
You know, if they DO put in Ridley (which at this point, would literally turn my stomach into fireworks) I'm sure Sakurai would explain in video about who he exactly is. Like how he's a super cunning genius and the leader of the space pirates and the most recurring Metroid character besides Smaus herself, and not a mindless monster, or some random boss, or "another dragon" (OR EVEN A POKEMON FOR THAT MATTER). And then, after Sakurai says all that, everyone'll be, "Ohhh. Cool. I never listened when anyone else said it, but now that Sakurai said it, it's fine. Ridley's cool. I like him." Imagine it. Mm. 'Cause it's probably never happen D:
That seems very logical

Meaning Sakurai instead will have Ridley fight Charizard in his trailer because why not, DRAGONS SON.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
How could you not want an incredibly slow tiny boss that degrades a character? m8, b grateful tht he's evn n ths gaem, and be happi 1nce Anthony m8kes it. Freaking casual skrub.

Please note that the above is sarcasm and I in no way, shape, or form share this opinion.
CASUL? R U COOL YET? TIME TO PWN SOME N00BS.

RIDLEY NEEDS TO GET BACK UP AND PWN THE REST OF THE SMASH CAST

EVERYTHING YOU COULD EVER WANT

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Does anyone else find it worrying that Ridley looks gigantic compared to Charizards shadow in Greninjas trailer when attacked by Keldeo.

Can someone put my worrying at ease please?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Does anyone else find it worrying that Ridley looks gigantic compared to Charizards shadow in Greninjas trailer when attacked by Keldeo.

Can someone put my worrying at ease please?
Have you seen my size comparisons?

Though most likely inaccurate due to lack of access to Smashley's model, my scales tend to make Ridley...not so boss-sized. On more than one occasion, people have complained that my sizes were too small.

Based on this pic, Ridley's tail should be as thick as Samus's cannon.

And I doubt that a boss-sized Ridley would have a tail this skinny.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Still, those wings. When you look at those and then Charizards shadow, the size difference, its huge.

Can you look at Charizards shadow in the trailer and do some comparisons? It would probably be better since not only is Charizard in the air, but he has a similar build to Ridley and footage would be from a similar build of the game.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Still, those wings. When you look at those and then Charizards shadow, the size difference, its huge.

Can you look at Charizards shadow in the trailer and do some comparisons? It would probably be better since not only is Charizard in the air, but he has a similar build to Ridley and footage would be from a similar build of the game.
I wouldn't worry about wingspan. Ridley can easily just store his wings in the foreground and background.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ok you need a Charizard size for shadow here you go

Excluded the wings since those are too confusing to his real size.

Charizard is almost as big as Ridley shadow to me, not to mention Charizards shadow is stretched the same way as ridleys.

I mean check this out

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
RIdley's wingspan is not generally an issue. The thing is his body is seeming to be slightly smaller almost than that of Bowser (unsurprisingly). His wings of course can be folded up and are not required to be hitboxes.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I've been thinking.

Sakurai has been willing to manipulate shadows in order to tease his fans, as seen in the Mewtwo/Greninja case. Perhaps he might be temporarily using the Other M model to throw us off the trail?

majora_787

Smash Hero
That was video taken from gameplay. It would be significantly more absurd for Sakurai to deliberately doctor game footage to something totally different than it would be to mislead in a CGI trailer.

Neo Zero

I've been thinking.

Sakurai has been willing to manipulate shadows in order to tease his fans, as seen in the Mewtwo/Greninja case. Perhaps he might be temporarily using the Other M model to throw us off the trail?
I thought similar, only I thought the Shadow might of been rigged to show a certain size in a build just for that one clip. Sakurai's so confusing.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Just wondering, where do you suppose Ridley is in the video clip? As far as he can go without being off the edge of the stage, or a little bit between the center and the edge?

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm thinking he was going from the right platforms to the left platforms, since I'm under the impression that like in the Charizard picture- Actually. Yeah, looking at that Charizard picture earlier, Ridley would have had to be just left of center stage and then moved left, possibly to a platform. I'm not 100% sure on this because that Charizard picture is from a FD Pyrosphere picture, but.

Neo Zero

We've seen Pyrosphere's platforms move before correct? Maybe he's just on one of them while it's near the center/left side

majora_787

Smash Hero
As far as I know, the Pyrosphere platforms are 100% static.

So looking at it a bit, relative to center, Ridley is probably just up and to the left of where Charizard is in the above screenshot. Any way we could maybe estimate where the platforms on the normal version are relative to that?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
As far as I know, the Pyrosphere platforms are 100% static.

So looking at it a bit, relative to center, Ridley is probably just up and to the left of where Charizard is in the above screenshot. Any way we could maybe estimate where the platforms on the normal version are relative to that?
Don't really have the tools or will to science up anything now, though this pic might help.

I'll transparent a better pic in a few moments, give me time.

EDIT: THAR WE GO

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
It seems like whatever Ridley was doing wasn't involving platforms. It seems like he was too far out from the left platforms to be using them. So I guess he just jumped out of a hover.

Neo Zero

It's actually fairly close to the center. If he stood on the very edge, his Shadow could maybe be around there?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Though really it doesn't matter if Ridley is able to jump out of a hover assuming jumps don't carry over. (i.e. if he had three jumps, he could jump and then hover and depending on if the hover counted as a jump he could jump out of it once or twice.)

OR maybe it's a special move with a few seconds of slow horizontal flight. I dunno, but I imagine if it was a special move it would PROBABLY make Ridley helpless and he wouldn't be able to jump out of it.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
All the shadow analysis just hurts my head. I can look at it a million times and still come out not knowing what's going on. I just want a 100% confirmation or deconfirmation. Beating around the bush isn't helping either us or detractors at this point, Sakurai.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Thats alot of shadow trickery Sakurai is doing, Well back to being confident Ridley is playable :colorful:

Although its a shame that the size couldn't be bigger, best case scenario is that Roidley is a boss while Ridley is playable. But Roidley playable is still better then nothing (especially if its concept Ridley like it kinda looks like.

Can I have a role with the lounge? I frequent Gamefaqs often so maybe I can be like foreign affairs or something :p

majora_787

Smash Hero
All the shadow analysis just hurts my head. I can look at it a million times and still come out not knowing what's going on. I just want a 100% confirmation or deconfirmation. Beating around the bush isn't helping either us or detractors at this point, Sakurai.
Yeh, guesstimating mechanics and actions is a pain when people already have an iffy enough time getting actions out of Pac-Man and Pail of Seafood's reveal trailers. But it's all we have to do to pass time for the next 80-whatever days.

EDIT: It's pretty apparent that Roidley is either playable or we don't have playable Ridley of any kind. And it's probably the former given the size speed behavior and general requirements of a "boss" in these parameters.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Not sure if this'll help, but I got a vanishing point on that particular shot.

Maybe we can better distort it?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
OK everyone, I'm going to show the size comparison between Ridley and Charizard on gamefaqs, how do you think they will react?

Top Bottom