• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well, to be fair Ridley isn't just a dragon in space, he's a radioactive pirate zombie robot mutant space dragon by the time he's Omega Ridley. If you count his invisibility in Super Metroid, he's a ninja too.
But yeah, fluffy birdley didn't really feel necessary to me, and I don't really like to imagine that there was a time when Ridley was cute.
Well baby Ridley was never necessary. It was one of several things Other M just put out there for no reason other than *shrug*. And really I wouldn't call that thing cute. It's like Diababa with fur with the dieting habits of a vulture.

EDIT: Space pirates seem to be their own species and are more insect-like, so I'd guess they probably don't. Maybe there are like. Space pirate larva or something else horrifying.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Part of me wonders if Ridley has a 4th Mega Evolution form.

If he'd stop dying and coming back to life as Space Jesus maybe we'd find out.

D

Deleted member

There were more "Ridley can't be playable"/"Ridley is too big" threads in the Brawl era than there is today, and think what I was doing at this time while you're being flamed about him not being included

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Wow, @ IsmaR IsmaR , your grammar has really improved since Brawl days, eh? :laugh:

Space pirates seem to be their own species and are more insect-like, so I'd guess they probably don't. Maybe there are like. Space pirate larva or something else horrifying.
I'm assuming that the ones from the different Prime games are different "species" adapted to different planets. I'd like to think of them as the "true" Space Pirates, with Zebesians being mass-produced supersoldiers built to operate on a Mother Brain-type hive mind.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Wow, @ IsmaR IsmaR , your grammar has really improved since Brawl days, eh? :laugh:

I'm assuming that the ones from the different Prime games are different "species" adapted to different planets. I'd like to think of them as the "true" Space Pirates, with Zebesians being mass-produced supersoldiers built to operate on a Mother Brain-type hive mind.
So they're just like Metroids? (Different variations depending on the planet and environment in which they grow up in)

Actually, I wonder if that's why Ridley was a Furby...

majora_787

Smash Hero
It's hard to say, since space pirates in general love using different species in their army either way. They probably are different, and Draygon and the Zebesian pirates were just picked up on Zebes for the Zebes operation or something.

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
I think Ridley is playable in the game, for the sole fact that Sakurai has teased us about him NOT being in the game. There were other popular characters that Sakurai debunked bluntly, like Waluigi and Skull Kid. I feel like if Ridley was not playable, Sakurai would have outright said it when showing the boss character thing. He teased Palutena, only for her to be playable, like he teased Ridley. I don't see why he would purposely tease us like this, unless there was some sort of big payoff...

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
My video's name isn't fitting? :/

Also... Ridley.
Well...it technically is just Ridley vs Ridley since new Ridley is not a clone like Other M Ridley was...but video`s name isn`t important.
EDIT: Space pirates seem to be their own species and are more insect-like, so I'd guess they probably don't. Maybe there are like. Space pirate larva or something else horrifying.
Wasn`t they reptilian creatures that wear insect-like armor, not insect-like creatures?..Maybe my source isn`t right one...
Why does Ridley sound like Garland? Lol

Basically what happens past 2000 is the page display becomes really messed up, and phantom pages start popping up. It's really not that bad, but it's quite annoying.
Because i used Garland`s voice.
...At least this thread will become truly big enough for Ridley...
Part of me wonders if Ridley has a 4th Mega Evolution form.
He becomes Bahamut-Ridley-Zebesian-Awesomeness-Somethingsomethingdarkside-Boba Fett hybrid that can bake cakes! Oh...and he becomes too big...to be disconfirmed.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeh, at any point Sakurai could have SHOWN Ridley in a large size doing boss things and gone "We'll cover bosses like this one later" or something. But he deliberately didn't. Because he couldn't. Because he's not a boss.

Hell they didn't even have to show him doing boss things. They could've shown him appearing from the background and we'd have known.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't understand you, Metroid fans should be happy we got Zamus, 3 assist trophies and Ridley as a boss, geez you're so ungrateful. Hey, why Sakurai hasn't confirmed Adam and Anthony yet?

Neo Zero

Part of me wonders why more bosses haven't been shown actually. Even if Ridley was a boss which he's not that's only two. Maybe that's why Star Fox, Kirby, DK don't have stages yet retro ones don't count.

I know that's sarcasm Zoroarking, but it annoys me that people really do think like that, especially when the boss is a glorified stage hazard

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I don't understand you, Metroid fans should be happy we got Zamus, 3 assist trophies and Ridley as a boss, geez you're so ungrateful. Hey, why Sakurai hasn't confirmed Adam and Anthony yet?
Why not KJ? He was a pretty cool guy. Dies for some reasons, gets tossed into lava and isn`t afraid of everything. Or Sylux. He is a pretty cool guy too. Appeared in a single game and isn`t afraid of everything. Or why we need yet another Metroid character when we can have Shadow, Tails, Snake, Grey Fox, Krystal, Goku, Vegeta, Naruto, Geno, Goomba, Daisy, Waluigi and other VERY important characters?

Note: i have nothing against some of those characters

majora_787

Smash Hero
Part of me wonders why more bosses haven't been shown actually. Even if Ridley was a boss which he's not that's only two. Maybe that's why Star Fox, Kirby, DK don't have stages yet retro ones don't count.

I know that's sarcasm Zoroarking, but it annoys me that people really do think like that, especially when the boss is a glorified stage hazard
"WOW BE GRATEFUL YOUR METROID STAGES EVEN HAVE STAGE HAZARDS"

But yeah it is weird. The evasion of Star Fox, Kirby, and DK stages, hell we don't even have a Wii U Zelda stage do we?

Also we don't have a way of knowing but I think Dark Emperor is a boss. So that's two, three were Ridley a boss which he's not.

Neo Zero

"WOW BE GRATEFUL YOUR METROID STAGES EVEN HAVE STAGE HAZARDS"

But yeah it is weird. The evasion of Star Fox, Kirby, and DK stages, hell we don't even have a Wii U Zelda stage do we?

Also we don't have a way of knowing but I think Dark Emperor is a boss. So that's two, three were Ridley a boss which he's not.
Delfino Plaza Skyloft

Though I forgot Dark Emperor so we're even :p

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Maybe they could make some sort of human/Ridley hybrid, like from alien?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I don't understand this logic.

When Kid Icarus gets a boatload of new items, people are clamoring that Palutena, Medusa, Dark Pit, and Hades are all but confirmed to be playable.

When Metroid gets a couple of items, THAT'S too much.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Even if I forgot Skyloft, we're out a lot of stages from other franchises. We haven't even seen this game's Yoshi's Island stage. Don't even tell me it's not Yoshi's Island. Even the one stage that wasn't called Yoshi's Island had Yoshi's Island in the title.

So I mean Sakurai's doing a pretty good job keeping bosses secret even without these shenanigans.

EDIT: Can I want Ridley AND Medusa and not be in trouble :c

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Even if I forgot Skyloft, we're out a lot of stages from other franchises. We haven't even seen this game's Yoshi's Island stage. Don't even tell me it's not Yoshi's Island. Even the one stage that wasn't called Yoshi's Island had Yoshi's Island in the title.

So I mean Sakurai's doing a pretty good job keeping bosses secret even without these shenanigans.

That's because it's secretly Ridley's New Island as a stage.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Eh, probably. There's nothing wrong with wanting someone playable. Unless you're choosing them over someone more deserving.

And even then, the only things that really gain my ire are people who exist solely to claim that there's no way a character will never EVER make it in. Even the really stupid characters.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Eh, probably. There's nothing wrong with wanting someone playable. Unless you're choosing them over someone more deserving.

And even then, the only things that really gain my ire are people who exist solely to claim that there's no way a character will never EVER make it in. Even the really stupid characters.
Good thing Ridley's not a character. After all, that's why he's the only one who can't be resized or made playable. :troll: The only villain who is always a boss who is better off a boss, the only dragon who needs to be five times Bowser's size, the only character who needs to be excessively human and have a vibrant personality, etc.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Rule number 388: Ridley will always be an exception, he cannot be smaller, he cannot be a boss and character at the same time, he can't get over Anthony, Rundas, etc

D

Deleted member

Good thing Ridley's not a character. After all, that's why he's the only one who can't be resized or made playable. :troll: The only villain who is always a boss who is better off a boss, the only dragon who needs to be five times Bowser's size, the only character who needs to be excessively human and have a vibrant personality, etc.
Don't worry, we can always upsize the world around Ridley, I mean, EVERYTHING can be resized but him, so I guess this works

majora_787

Smash Hero
Don't worry, we can always upsize the world around Ridley, I mean, EVERYTHING can be resized but him, so I guess this works
But Ridley will still be like hundreds of times bigger than a Pikmin. He'd be way too big in Smash even if the world got bigger. :troll:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So, how would you guys have determined Metroid Representation in this series? For me, it would have been like this:

Super Smash Bros. 64
Playable Character(s): Samus

Stage: Tourian (Mother Brain is a stage hazard, Metroids will float in the background)

Item(s): Screw Attack

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Stage: Wrecked Ship (Work Robots make a cameo and they can be used as platforms over the spikes), SR388, Tourian (past stage)

Item(s): Screw Attack, Grapple Cannon (Works as a better tether for characters with bad recovery, or as an easier method of grabbing people)

Enemies: Zebesians, Kihunters, Metroids, Zoomers, Rippers

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Playable Character(s): Samus, Dark Samus, Ridley

Stage: Norfair (Ridley's Lair basically), Phendrana Drifts, Sanctuary Fortress

Item(s) Screw Attack, Grapple Cannon, Power Bomb (think Smart Bomb, but with less knockback and greater range)

Assist Trophy: Metroid (they still make an appearance as a common enemy in the story mode)

Boss: Mother Brain
In case if you ask, Zero Suit Samus is just a collectable trophy.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS

Stage: Pyrosphere ('cause it's such a good-looking stage), Phaaze (for Wii U), SR388 (past stage for 3DS), Sector 5 (for 3DS)

Item(s) Screw Attack, Grapple Cannon, Power Bomb

Assist Trophy: Metroid, Rundas, Phantoon, Mother Brain (because she has to make an appearance in each Smash game somehow!)

Enemies: Zebesians, Kihunters, Metroids, Zoomers, Rippers, Space Pirates (Prime design), Ing Warriors, Phazon Hoppers

Boss hazard: Either Queen Metroid or Nightmare. It could be different on both versions, I haven't decided on that.

Last edited:

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Well...it technically is just Ridley vs Ridley since new Ridley is not a clone like Other M Ridley was...but video`s name isn`t important.
I named it that just to give more obvious differentiation between the two. That's all. ;)

I'm totally agreeing with the idea that his supposed "boss" appearance was all just a hoax. He's trying to trick us, don't you see? Then... when all our guards are down... Ridley will make his triumphant playable appearance in Sm4sh!

Last edited:

Neo Zero

So, how would you guys have determined Metroid Representation in this series? For me, it would have been like this:

Super Smash Bros. 64

Stage: Tourian (Mother Brain is a stage hazard, Metroids will float in the background)

Item(s): Screw Attack

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Stage: Wrecked Ship (Work Robots make a cameo and they can be used as platforms over the spikes), SR388, Tourian (past stage)

Item(s): Screw Attack, Grapple Cannon (Works as a better tether for characters with bad recovery, or as an easier method of grabbing people)

Enemies: Zebesians, Kihunters, Metroids, Zoomers, Rippers

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Stage: Norfair (Ridley's Lair basically), Phendrana Drifts, Sanctuary Fortress

Item(s) Screw Attack, Grapple Cannon, Power Bomb (think Smart Bomb, but with less knockback and greater range)

Assist Trophy: Metroid (they still make an appearance as a common enemy in the story mode)

Boss: Mother Brain
In case if you ask, Zero Suit Samus is just a collectable trophy.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS

Stage: Pyrosphere ('cause it's such a good-looking stage), Phaaze (for Wii U), SR388 (past stage for 3DS), Sector 5 (for 3DS)

Item(s) Screw Attack, Grapple Cannon, Power Bomb

Assist Trophy: Metroid, Rundas, Phantoon, Mother Brain (because she has to make an appearance in each Smash game somehow!)

Enemies: Zebesians, Kihunters, Metroids, Zoomers, Rippers, Space Pirates (Prime design), Ing Warriors, Phazon Hoppers

Boss hazard: Either Queen Metroid or Nightmare. It could be different on both versions, I haven't decided on that.
How we view Sm4sh Metroid Representation

This is how the rest of the internet thinks we view Sm4sh representation though
Playable: Ridley, Meta Ridley, Omega Ridley, Roidley, Ridley in Strikers Outfit

Stage: Norfair, Pyrosphere, On Mecha Ridley's Back

Items: Metroid Stuff

AT: Kraid, Mother Brain, Samus, Dark Samus

Enemies: Space Pirates, Kihunters, Metroids, Samus

Boss Hazard: 8 Bit Ridley

D

Deleted member

Stage: Norfair, Pyrosphere, On Mecha Ridley's Back

Items: Metroid Stuff

AT: Kraid, Mother Brain, Samus, Dark Samus

Enemies: Space Pirates, Kihunters, Metroids, Samus

Boss Hazard: 8 Bit Ridley
I think you put Kraid in the wrong spot.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

I agree with you in this....with the exception of Ridley in Daisy's striker outfit....that outfit is WAY too evil....even for Rids.

Last edited:

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
I haven't written here for a while ... soooo ...

RIDLEY

that's all I had to say.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223