• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
They're both big boys as well as recurring main antagonists of their respective series? Not to mention they also fly and float and try to kill you when you're fighting them, but my primary point rests in the prior sentence.
Andross is a floating head with two hands. Ridley is a humanoid dragon-like alien with a body-plan similar to Charizard and Bowser, and is one of the smallest recurring bosses in the series. You're right about them being recurring antagonists, but just because Ridley is a viable newcomer doesn't mean Andross is a shoo-in.

majora_787

Smash Hero
They're both big boys as well as recurring main antagonists of their respective series? Not to mention they also fly and float and try to kill you when you're fighting them, and they both keeping coming back from defeat in different forms, but my primary point rests in the prior sentence.
Andross's problem isn't his size, it's the fact that he is a disembodied head with hands. Which can be fixed. Being large is really not an issue here.

EDIT: ALSO if you want to be technical Andross came back as a ghost like once and it didn't work out, and they had to rotate in the Aparoids and the Anglar Emperor because he couldn't keep coming back, but that's not really an issue.

Morbi

Scavenger
Just gonna barge right in here and ask, has anyone equated Ridley being playable to Andross being playable yet? I won't do it, although I am a "detractor," but I'm wondering if anyone has brought that thought up yet. It's got to have crossed someone else's mind other than mine, big boys. ;)
I believe that you are the first. As a detractor, that argument is not going to support your perspective very well, which is probably why you opted to passively imply the notion rather than outright making an assertion.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
The fact that King Dedede is standing eye to eye with Bowser should illustrate pretty clearly that size is by no means an issue in Super Smash Bros. Totally ignoring Olimar or pogeymans or what have you.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Yeah, it's not a well-supported argument by that point alone. Now pardon me while I go into assertion mode.

*shifts*

Andross is a floating head with two hands. Ridley is a humanoid dragon-like alien with a body-plan similar to Charizard and Bowser, and is one of the smallest recurring bosses in the series. You're right about them being recurring antagonists, but just because Ridley is a viable newcomer doesn't mean Andross is a shoo-in.
Yeah, however the point that I getting to is that a playable Ridley would kinda ruin his convention in being that big bad baddie in a series where you're the loner exploring, fighting, and solving things, who, despite your best efforts, keeps "coming back from the dead" even when he does die for good. Just like a playable Andross would kinda take away from how he's that one boss that keeps coming back to get you. It's not so much the same for someone like Bowser or K. Rool, although I can see it with Ganondorf. And it isn't the same with Wolf, because he is although he is antagonistic he is the rival of Fox, and even helps him at certain points in the series.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
"Ruining conventions" is kind of thrown out the window by the game being full of "unbeatable amazing protagonists" who regularly get the tar get kicked out of them by everyone around them, usually other good guys who are usually not supposed to be beating the crap out of good people. "Metroid being about isolation" is also not really a good excuse for the series to go excessively underrepresented as one of Nintendo's major franchises. Plenty of franchises can be described as being 'about isolation, just you and things that want to hurt you' if you squint and tilt your head enough.

As I've said, Andross's problem isn't that he's large or a boss. It's that he doesn't have a body, which could be fixed. Bowser and K. Rool ARE bosses who continuously come after their respective heroes. The former actually does come back from the dead to do so, even. Ganon is an extreme version, since Ganon in and of himself is a curse of rage anger and murder placed on the descendants of two people.

And yet ALL of those guys are playable, no problem. Despite being large, often imposing or intimidating and recurring final or late bosses.

And Ridley is "The Exception". Apparently.

D

Deleted member

I seriously question people's inteligence when they say Ridley's character is being big, damnit Sakurai, you like to make us suffer, just confirm him already

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
(valid points)
Yeah, but keep in mind the Metroid series especially, many of the people Samus interacts with and care about eventually die. You see that with her parents, presumably the Chozo, "The Baby," Adam, Ian, all but one of the 07th Platoon, as well as the corrupted hunters. She is alone most of the time, on many of her missions, at least. You see Mario, Link, Kirby, Fire Emblem characters, and Fox all getting help, even when at times they go it alone. Eventually they team up or other people unite or take the lead. But for Samus, she can't even trust the Federation at times, as shown in Other M and Fusion. It seems proper and fitting for her to be the only rep in the series.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, but keep in mind the Metroid series especially, many of the people Samus interacts with and care about eventually die. You see that with her parents, presumably the Chozo, "The Baby," Adam, Ian, all but one of the 07th Platoon, as well as the corrupted hunters. She is alone most of the time, on many of her missions, at least. You see Mario, Link, Kirby, Fire Emblem characters, and Fox all getting help, even when at times they go it alone. But for Samus, it seems proper and fitting for her to be the only rep in the series.
Which means she doesn't care about Anthony.
But, don't you think the guy who caused all of this deserves to be playable?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeah, but keep in mind the Metroid series especially, many of the people Samus interacts with and care about eventually die. You see that with her parents, presumably the Chozo, "The Baby," Adam, Ian, all but one of the 07th Platoon, as well as the corrupted hunters. She is alone most of the time, on her missions, at least. It seems proper and fitting for her to be the only rep in the series.
The problem is, Samus isn't alone. She is alone in regards to generally being without allies, or having most of her allies die. But the entire point is that Samus is by herself fighting against MANY an alien creature that want to kill her out of instinct or out of deliberate calculation. And Ridley, being personally linked to Samus in terms of their history and being one of the most prominent adversaries of the Galactic Federation, is one of the nastiest things that wants to destroy Samus alone.

Ridley on the roster does not make Samus less alone. It means she is closer to having to contend with Ridley at every turn, just like many of her games.

EDIT: If anything, adding Ridley makes a VERY good representation of Metroid. It's Samus, her only help being herself, versus her nemesis Ridley.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Yeah, but keep in mind the Metroid series especially, many of the people Samus interacts with and care about eventually die. You see that with her parents, presumably the Chozo, "The Baby," Adam, Ian, all but one of the 07th Platoon, as well as the corrupted hunters. She is alone most of the time, on many of her missions, at least. You see Mario, Link, Kirby, Fire Emblem characters, and Fox all getting help, even when at times they go it alone. But for Samus, it seems proper and fitting for her to be the only rep in the series.
Making Ridley playable would only emphasis Samus's isolation even further, not decrease it. What does it mean to you if we had a franchise with one heroic character that's playable and two viable villain newcomers who want her dead?

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Yeah, however the point that I getting to is that a playable Ridley would kinda ruin his convention in being that big bad baddie in a series where you're the loner exploring, fighting, and solving things, who, despite your best efforts, keeps "coming back from the dead" even when he does die for good. Just like a playable Andross would kinda take away from how he's that one boss that keeps coming back to get you. It's not so much the same for someone like Bowser or K. Rool, although I can see it with Ganondorf. And it isn't the same with Wolf, because he is although he is antagonistic he is the rival of Fox, and even helps him at certain points in the series.
I'm just going to be frank here.

Smash does not, I repeat, does not care about following canon from game sources to the letter, period.

Sure many aspects stay true to their franchises of origin as to be expected, but there is just as much inconsistency in Smash that doesn't jell up with original franchise portrayal. So how come Ridley is the one and only exception here? Bowser is usually shown as being many times Mario's size in mainstream games, yet in sport titles, racing, and other spin-offs he's barely taller then the plumber. One of the Koopa King's main features in his boss battles are, you guessed it, his enormous size, yet clearly such a distinction isn't vital to his character. If such manipulation is easily done for Bowser, then there should be no problem changing Ridley (who compared to your average Metroid boss is rather small to begin with) to a size that's reasonable for playable status yet still retain what makes him who he is, Samus' eternal archenemy.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Yeah, but note that the characters in the Mario series are more "actors" than anything else (Miyamoto even said it himself!) so that sort of manipulation is totally allowed. Whereas in Zelda, Metroid, and Starfox they at least have a viable story going on, with little weirdness save for the retconned Starfox and the Hyrule Warriors spinoff, and all that CD-i garbage, so we can presume that less liberties can be taken with them, at least in terms of their main series, right?

Having Ridley as a boss rather than playable, for me, seems best, because it further emphasizes the lack of control Samus has over him. He keeps coming back in one way or another, even when she shoots him down and eventually kills him, he somehow arises from the ashes back and ready to kill her more than ever.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeah, but note that the characters in the Mario series are more "actors" than anything else (Miyamoto even said it himself!) so that sort of manipulation is totally allowed. Whereas in Zelda, Metroid, and Starfox they at least have a viable story going on, with little weirdness save for the retconned Starfox and the Hyrule Warriors spinoff, and all that CD-i garbage, so we can presume that less liberties can be taken with them, at least in terms of their main series, right?

Having Ridley as a boss rather than playable, for me, seems best, because it further emphasizes the lack of control Samus has over him. He keeps coming back, even though she shoots him down and eventually kills him, he's somehow back and ready to kill her more than ever.
But that's the thing. The EXACT same feeling is maintained as a playable character. Samus isn't in control of Ridley. If anything, when played by another player as opposed to a scripted boss, Ridley is more dangerous and less predictable. And as a character on the roster. Ridley will keep coming back and will be able to hunt Samus down wherever she may be instead of just quietly lurking on one stage on one version of the game for her to maybe show up some day.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Yeah, but note that the characters in the Mario series are more "actors" than anything else (Miyamoto even said it himself!) so that sort of manipulation is totally allowed. Whereas in Zelda, Metroid, and Starfox they at least have a viable story going on, with little weirdness save for the retconned Starfox and the Hyrule Warriors spinoff, and all that CD-i garbage.

Having Ridley as a boss rather than playable, for me, seems best, because it further emphasizes the lack of control Samus has over him. He keeps coming back, even though she shoots him down and eventually kills him, he's somehow back and ready to kill her more than ever.
It's not like an opponent is defeated forever in smash, Ridley will be back next match trying to kill samus once more.

Also a playable Ridley would be countless time scarier than a boss :
-A boss follow set patterns, you just have to learn them and Bossley will hardly be a threat anymore,
-A player using Ridley will become better and better and will eventually found a weakness in your playstyle and learn to use it to defeat you.

Edit : Ninja'd

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Plus let's be real. Bowser-sized Slowley is way more damaging to Ridley as a boss than as a playable character. The latter is a necessary change for functionality. The former is just unnecessary and diminishing.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Yeah, but note that the characters in the Mario series are more "actors" than anything else (Miyamoto even said it himself!) so that sort of manipulation is totally allowed. Whereas in Zelda, Metroid, and Starfox they at least have a viable story going on, with little weirdness save for the retconned Starfox and the Hyrule Warriors spinoff, and all that CD-i garbage.

You just completely ignored my point. Smash doesn't follow canon, which includes story aspects. Thereby the whole plot of Samus and Ridley won't matter. Yes, such things were in story-driven modes like the SSE, but again, that was a mode of Smash, not the game as a whole. Mario would never beat the living daylights out of Peach in the main games, yet he's perfectly fine with smacking her with a giant hammer in Smash. Link wouldn't hack and slash Zelda in any normal story or team up with Ganon(dorf) under any circumstances, but in Smash it's no holes barred and any team up is possible.

So ultimately canonical story has no influence on how characters work and interact with each other, which means even bitter enemies like Samus and Ridley could end up fighting on the same side.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Of 2008, right? I wasn't around here.
Btw, was this the last Ridley thread before his deconfirmation? It's weird to see so many users that supported Ridley back there and don't even show up in the forums anymore
EDIT: Wait, they banned Ridley threads, someone could explain why?
I love how the Brawl Ridley Thread had both a supporter AND a detractor list.

Even if I forgot Skyloft, we're out a lot of stages from other franchises. We haven't even seen this game's Yoshi's Island stage. Don't even tell me it's not Yoshi's Island. Even the one stage that wasn't called Yoshi's Island had Yoshi's Island in the title.

So I mean Sakurai's doing a pretty good job keeping bosses secret even without these shenanigans.

EDIT: Can I want Ridley AND Medusa and not be in trouble :c
If the roster is big enough, then yes.

So no, you can't. :troll:

I actually would be fine with that.
Check it guys, Ridley confirmed..... :troll:
Son of a...

D

Deleted member

So ultimately canonical story has no influence on how characters work and interact with each other, which means even bitter enemies like Samus and Ridley could end up fighting on the same side.
Someone get a picture of Ridley and Samus shaking hands or something.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
I can see your point in terms of predictability, but then again, you could say the same thing for his attack patterns in the Metroid series or in Brawl, or in certain players' playing styles. Valid point, I guess I lost this one. But I still hold close the idea that Ridley should not be playable and instead make an appearance as a boss/stage hazard.

On a different note, do you guys think that Ridley and Meta Ridley's appearances as bosses in Brawl and clone Ridley's appearance in Dead or Alive were "damaging" to his character?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Having Ridley as a boss rather than playable, for me, seems best, because it further emphasizes the lack of control Samus has over him. He keeps coming back in one way or another, even when she shoots him down and eventually kills him, he somehow arises from the ashes back and ready to kill her more than ever.
This isn't true. Link or it didn't happen
Also, this can be said to any character:
"Bowser is a boss in his game, which means he fits better as a boss"
"Peach keeps being kidnapped in her game, she not being playable represents her character better"
This is seriously making my brain hurt(no joke, I'm serious), how it makes it feel or "emphasize" something doesn't matter, what matters is if the character is playable to represent their series, which is better: Falcondorf or no Ganondorf at all? As long as Ganondorf is there, it is Ganondorf

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
This isn't true. Link or it didn't happen
Also, this can be said to any character:
"Bowser is a boss in his game, which means he fits better as a boss"
"Peach keeps being kidnapped in her game, she not being playable represents her character better"
This is seriously making my brain hurt(no joke, I'm serious), how it makes it feel or "emphasize" something doesn't matter, what matters is if the character is playable to represent their series, which is better: Falcondorf or no Ganondorf at all? As long as Ganondorf is there, it is Ganondorf
http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/...st-is-a-troupe-of-actors-and-bowsers-kids-are

Also, in regards to Peach, have you forgotten Super Mario Bros. 2? Or Super Mario RPG? Or Super Princess Peach (ew)? Or 3D World?

majora_787

Smash Hero
I can see your point in terms of predictability, but then again, you could say the same thing for his attack patterns in the Metroid series or in Brawl, or in certain players' playing styles. Valid point, I guess I lost this one. But I still hold close the idea that Ridley should not be playable and instead make an appearance as a boss/stage hazard.

On a different note, do you guys think that Ridley and Meta Ridley's appearances as bosses in Brawl and clone Ridley's appearance in Dead or Alive were "damaging" to his character?
Not particularly. Though the way Ridley is shaping up to be now, it would definitely be damaging to his image to be a boss on Pyrosphere. Because if Ridley were a boss, then yes. I'd say it's necessary for him to be large and aggressive. That bar is a lot lower for playable characters. Ridley meets the "large and aggressive" bar for playability, but really is not shaping up to be an even remotely satisfactory boss appearance.

EDIT: Throwing this out there. King Dedede is looking Bowser in the eye despite a canonical 6+ foot difference in heights. In Smash Bros., all of the protagonists are able to gather around and beat up small children and animals. This is in no way diminishing to anyone at any point, but Ridley being playable is where the line is drawn?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Making him a Dyna Blade clone is still better than Bowser-sized, Ganondorf speed with choppy movements bossley. As Meta Ridley, I think it's one of the best fights with him, as he tries to knock the ship to make you fall, showing his tactical side

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Ridley would make a terrible boss for Smash 4. If we go by what we've seen yellow Devil do, then Ridley would probably have a lot of points during the boss fight where he would be completely stationary. That just wouldn't feel right to me.

D

Deleted member

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Actually, no. While I can't speak for DoA as I haven't played it, I can say that Ridley was, for the most part, an awesome boss in Brawl. He was fast, dangerous, and looked great.

The problem here though is that, given what we've seen in the Direct footage, Ridley, or rather Roidley, is the smallest he's been since the first Metroid, moves at an incredibly slow non-threatening pace, and does nothing but lazily fly around the disproportionately large stage occasionally grabbing someone. That isn't what Ridley's character is like at all and why many are upset should he indeed be a boss again.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The Meta Ridley fight was okay, even if he didn't use the moves he does in the Meta Ridley fight itself at least he was fireballing like Ridley does. The Ridley fight itself wasn't really Ridley though, the Dyna Blade background dive, wind pushing, no fireballs, it was really only the tail scrapper and flying attacks that did him much justice. The DoA cameo is okay though, it's just scrapping against the wall.

Still, neither were as damaging to his character as his Other M representation as a Pokémon.

The point isn't that him being a boss damages his character, of course it doesn't when he is a boss to begin with, it's just that bosses in Smash are very restricted in their movements and follow set patterns, Ridley became a fan favorite boss battle exactly for breaking those two things, his Super Metroid fight is different every single time, most of the time he has a really smart AI backing him. Plus, it's just much cooler getting to play him.

Last edited:

Xhampi

Smash Lord

Brawl Ridley ? Oh you mean the Dynablade rip off that Sakurai callled Ridley ?

Meta Ridley don't use a single attack he used in Metroid Prime, there is so much wasted potential it hurts !

Dead or Alive Ridley is both a coward only using fireball far away from the arena and not really bright, he save the fighters from falling into the lava, he might hurt them but in the end he still save their life and sometimes don't even make them KO.....

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Not particularly. Though the way Ridley is shaping up to be now, it would definitely be damaging to his image to be a boss on Pyrosphere. Because if Ridley were a boss, then yes. I'd say it's necessary for him to be large and aggressive. That bar is a lot lower for playable characters. Ridley meets the "large and aggressive" bar for playability, but really is not shaping up to be an even remotely satisfactory boss appearance.

EDIT: Throwing this out there. King Dedede is looking Bowser in the eye despite a canonical 6+ foot difference in heights. In Smash Bros., all of the protagonists are able to gather around and beat up small children and animals. This is in no way diminishing to anyone at any point, but Ridley being playable is where the line is drawn?
I see. Making Ridley a boss character on a STAGE and not a boss battle sequence in a story mode could get a bit redundant. I understand your point a bit better now.

In regards to character sizes, of course they're not up to scale. It's a "world of trophies," and trophies aren't always up to scale for anything they depict. But Ridley especially...he's ginormous! Gargantuan! A big boy! So big, he probably look real funny being scaled down like that! Then again, I haven't seen his proportions in this game yet so I can't make a valid judgment just yet.

This is the same thing as saying a movie plot didn't exist just because they are actors, besides, Miyamoto was telling this in a jokingly manner. I guess Star Wars are just a bunch of actors and Metroid is just a bunch of programing codes
No that's not what I meant. When you see the series with that in consideration, it doesn't mean the stories should be disregarded, it's just that it's easier to see why they've taken the liberty in resizing characters and doing things like making villains protagonists and such.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Brawl Ridley ? Oh you mean the Dynablade rip off that Sakurai callled Ridley ?

Meta Ridley don't use a single attack he used in Metroid Prime, there is so much wasted potential it hurts !

Dead or Alive Ridley is both a coward only using fireball far away from the arena and not really bright, he save the fighters from falling into the lava, he might hurt them but in the end he still save their life and sometimes don't even make them KO.....
Ridley enjoys watching monkeys fight for his amusement

And hurting said monkeys

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
But Ridley especially...he's ginormous! Gargantuan! A big boy! So big, he probably look real funny being scaled down like that! Then again, I haven't seen his proportions in this game yet so I can't make a valid judgment just yet.
Well...

metrrrrrrr.png

He's not that big compared to most other bosses in Metroid.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
In regards to character sizes, of course they're not up to scale. It's a "world of trophies," and trophies aren't always up to scale for anything they depict. But Ridley especially...he's ginormous! Gargantuan! A big boy! So big, he probably look real funny being scaled down like that! Then again, I haven't seen his proportions in this game yet so I can't make a valid judgment just yet.
You literally contradicted yourself there. Yes, trophies aren't to scale, so how is Ridley the exception here? Also, look at Little Mac. His "trophy" was significantly smaller in Brawl, but he got notably bigger this time around. Even with the fact that Ridley was large in Brawl, it is possible for his "trophy" to shrink for this game.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

You literally contradicted yourself there. Yes, trophies aren't to scale, so how is Ridley the exception here? Also, look at Little Mac. His "trophy" was significantly smaller in Brawl, but he got notably bigger this time around. Even with the fact that Ridley was large in Brawl, it is possible for his "trophy" to shrink for this game.
Roidley helped Mac out if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I see. Making Ridley a boss character on a STAGE and not a boss battle sequence in a story mode could get a bit redundant. I understand your point a bit better now.

No that's not what I meant. When you see the series with that in consideration, it doesn't mean the stories should be disregarded, it's just that it's easier to see why they've taken the liberty in resizing characters and doing things like making villains protagonists and such.
Ridley's twice Samus' height generally, rough area of 12 feet. Not much larger than Bowser or Ganondorf if larger than the former at all. And Bowser has been significantly larger. Canon excuses really don't matter. The important point is size is irrelevant here.

The issue is, we're able to see how much area RIdley's shadow and Bowser's shadow take up on the same stage under the same lighting, to scale. And if anything Ridley without wings might be slightly smaller than Bowser. It's hard to say. But they're ridiculously close. Meanwhile, you would need four Bowsers to equate for the size Yellow Devil brings out, which he brings to a smaller stage of which he takes up nearly a third. Ridley is a boss on... a wide open flat stage with platforms that he takes up maybe a tenth of? That's not great, especially given how slowly he was seen moving.

So the issue isn't "can Ridley be resized", because not only CAN he, but he HAS been. It's not "WILL he be resized", because he has been. It's not "SHOULD he be resized" because that's your opinion which doesn't hold much weight compared to Sakurai's on the matter. Same with ours really, but apparently he should because he has been.

The question is, was Ridley made to be a deliberately disappointing boss, and is Sakurai attempting to hype up a character with the possibility of being playable ONLY to deconfirm him to one of the biggest downgrades Smash Bros. has ever delivered?

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Remember friends, these characters are not themselves. They're figures/trophies representing a character that have never been to scale (the only series even close to the Scale of these trophies is probably Kirby).

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Actually Little Mac was made taller in the Punch Out Wii reboot, so they're just matching his height to the new canon.

To be honest I don't think we need to find any Smash canon reason as to why character's sizes vary so much from their respective canons, it's a non-canon spin-off, it doesn't need an excuse to up Kirby and Olimar in size. Unless it's a character defining trait, as is the case with Kraid, they can be stretched and molded whatever way Sakurai pleases. Ridley himself is one of the smaller Metroid bosses anyways, so it's no problem for him.

Top Bottom