• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I'm surprised people still argue about canon size and keeping the scale between characters from the same series when we have things like this in Smash 4 already :

D

Deleted member

Actually Little Mac was made taller in the Punch Out Wii reboot, so they're just matching his height to the new canon.

To be honest I don't think we need to find any Smash canon reason as to why character's sizes vary so much from their respective canons, it's a non-canon spin-off, it doesn't need an excuse to up Kirby and Olimar in size. Unless it's a character defining trait, as is the case with Kraid, they can be stretched and molded whatever way Sakurai pleases. Ridley himself is one of the smaller Metroid bosses anyways, so it's no problem for him.
imo the only character whose defining trait is size is Olimar, but you don't see me complaining that Olimar is too small.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Ridley's twice Samus' height generally, rough area of 12 feet. Not much larger than Bowser or Ganondorf if larger than the former at all. And Bowser has been significantly larger. Canon excuses really don't matter. The important point is size is irrelevant here.

The issue is, we're able to see how much area RIdley's shadow and Bowser's shadow take up on the same stage under the same lighting, to scale. And if anything Ridley without wings might be slightly smaller than Bowser. It's hard to say. But they're ridiculously close. Meanwhile, you would need four Bowsers to equate for the size Yellow Devil brings out, which he brings to a smaller stage of which he takes up nearly a third. Ridley is a boss on... a wide open flat stage with platforms that he takes up maybe a tenth of? That's not great, especially given how slowly he was seen moving.

So the issue isn't "can Ridley be resized", because not only CAN he, but he HAS been. It's not "WILL he be resized", because he has been. It's not "SHOULD he be resized" because that's your opinion which doesn't hold much weight compared to Sakurai's on the matter. Same with ours really, but apparently he should because he has been.

The question is, was Ridley made to be a deliberately disappointing boss, and is Sakurai attempting to hype up a character with the possibility of being playable ONLY to deconfirm him to one of the biggest downgrades Smash Bros. has ever delivered?
Doctor Mario, Pichu, Young Link, Roy, Mewtwo, Ivysaur, Squirtle say hello.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Wouldn't it be kinda funny to see Samus grab and throw Ridley? Funny as in, look wrong? I mean, he's gargantuan enough to do that, and he does that in the games, but I'm not sure how it'd be with Samus returning the favor. Thoughts?

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Wouldn't it be kinda funny to see Samus grab and throw Ridley? Funny as in, look wrong? I mean, he's gargantuan enough to do that, and he does that in the games, but I'm not sure how it'd be with Samus returning the favor. Thoughts?
Pikachu and Olimar can already throw Ganondorf around like a rag doll. Your point?

Neo Zero

Wouldn't it be kinda funny to see Samus grab and throw Ridley? I mean, he's gargantuan enough to do that, and he does that in the games, but I'm not sure how it'd be with Samus returning the favor.
She probably could in Metroid if it was programmed in. It's not like we're talking about Kraid here.

D

Deleted member

I guess "funny" is Olimar being able to grab Bowser

Neo Zero

Plus Yoshi can eat Bowser. Canon strength and ability really doesn't mean **** here.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Yet you didn't see Sakurai trying to hype us with their removal, here it's pretty much like : "Hey smash fans, remember that character you keep asking me to add as a playable character since melee ? Well I'm going to tease him as a boss but not completly disconfirming him so you can suffer a little more before I confirm him as a boss for good, enjoy ;) !"

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I...kinda have to agree on the first five. While Melee is praised to God-like proportions by the competitive scene, it has the worst roster in the series. Heck, Dr. Mario's trophies even point out how blatantly similar he is to Mario. Pichu had no business being there, Young Link easily could have had a unique moveset instead of copy/pasting adult Link, and Roy was literally a last minute advertisement. Then you got Mewtwo, the strongest of all Pokemon, ending up as one of the worst characters in the game.

However, Sakurai, besides some questionable choices for this game, has improved on his decisions when it comes to the roster, so hopefully Ridley won't have such a disappointing fate.

Neo Zero

Yet you didn't see Sakurai trying to hype us with their removal, here it's pretty much like : "Hey smash fans, remember that character you keep asking me to add as a playable character since melee ? Well I'm going to tease him as a boss but not completly disconfirming him so you can suffer a little more before I confirm him as a boss for good, enjoy ;) !"

Considering Sakurai reverse ages with his trolling, I can see why he does it.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ganondorf, the king of evil and resident demon king, is able to be thrown around by small children and animals. But Samus can't grab Ridley?

Neo Zero

Ganondorf, the king of evil and resident demon king, is able to be thrown around by small children and animals. But Samus can't grab Ridley?
Hey those kids are psychic, and animals have very disproportionate strength.

All this size and scaling talk makes me wonder how Big Ridley's Amiibo will be.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

It will be as big as a small house. :troll:

But seriously, a Ridley amiibo would hype me more than anything else than this game has to offer.

majora_787

Smash Hero

That doesn't really account for much considering Ganondorf is generally one of the most canonically powerful Nintendo characters on any roster. Competition includes maybe Mewtwo, possibly Pit/Ike/Palutena/Rosalina. If Samus and Ridley fighting as usual is somehow wrong, then Ganondorf being toasted by small fry like that is RIDICULOUSLY wrong. I'm looking at you, Olimar / Star Fox team / Jigglyplorf.

Neo Zero

That doesn't really account for much considering Ganondorf is generally one of the most canonically powerful Nintendo characters on any roster. Competition includes maybe Mewtwo, possibly Pit/Ike/Palutena/Rosalina. If Samus and Ridley fighting as usual is somehow wrong, then Ganondorf being toasted by small fry like that is RIDICULOUSLY wrong. I'm looking at you, Olimar / Star Fox team / Jigglyplorf.
Jigglyplorf? Since when did Ganondorf and Jigglypuff do the fusion dance?

And oh god, the mental image.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Precisely what I'm trying to say!

Anyways, I'm done debating for the day, as I can't really hammer many more points into my argument and I will soon be busy with my daily things. I guess I lost this one, although I stand firm in my standing, and I still have my reasons to disagree with the notion of Ridley being playable, but I have gained a newfound understanding of why people want Ridley and don't want him to be a boss. Thanks for the argument everyone, it was my pleasure, I love arguing by the way, and this was far better than my first Ridley argument I had here. Probably won't come back for another one, but thank you all (not being sarcastic here, I promise). This was probably pretty entertaining to the lurkers here by the way.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Anyways, I'm done debating for the day, as I can't really hammer many more points into my argument and I will soon be busy with my daily things. I guess I lost this one, although I stand firm in my standing, and I still have my reasons to disagree with the notion of Ridley being playable, but I have gained a newfound understanding of why people want Ridley and don't want him to be a boss. Thanks for the argument everyone, it was my pleasure, I love arguing by the way, and this was far better than my first Ridley argument I had here. Probably won't come back for another one, but thank you all (not being sarcastic here, I promise). This was probably pretty entertaining to the lurkers here by the way.
I'm just happy you were so reasonable about it all. We don't have to agree of course, but discussing things in a proper manner is what's important. Most people who come here to argue against us seem to think that disagreeing with people make them your enemies (some people around here do that too tbh), so it's such a nice breath of fresh air when someone like you come in and give us questions to answer in a respectful manner. Discussing can be fun and insightful, and I think both parts can get a little perspective from these kind of chats.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404

It's strangely satisfying to have a civilized argument here. You stood your ground, yet still saw our side of things. I tip my shades to you, one Smashboarder to another.

And yes that last line is a parody to Rango.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm just happy you were so reasonable about it all. We don't have to agree of course, but discussing things in a proper manner is what's important. Most people who come here to argue against us seem to think that disagreeing with people make them your enemies (some people around here do that too tbh), so it's such a nice breath of fresh air when someone like you come in and give us questions to answer in a respectful manner. Discussing can be fun and insightful, and I think both parts can get a little perspective from these kind of chats.
Yeah it's a really bad sign when someone agreeably disagreeing on the internet makes you really uncomfortable because in all your time using the internet it's one of the least common things ever.

EDIT: Plorf should clearly use that abomination as his avatar. Definitely.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Sorry if I sounded harsh earlier. I've had to deal with bigoted detractors for 10+ years and it left me with a harsh attitude towards those who think supporting "a big ugly boss" was the worst thing imaginable. I don't mind if you don't support Ridley, and I won't force my beliefs upon you.

If you ever have a change of heart, I would be happy to accept you into the fold. But if not, that's all right with me.

Neo Zero

This is what happened to the last place that disagreed with Ridley

You think this scene is bad, you should see him when he lands on a Hotel in Monopoly.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Either way, that cutscene at beginning demonstrates alot of Ridleys personality to me, I built my headcanon of that and apparently its farely accurate to his manga appearance.
If it's any facial expression at all, I'd see the look on his face as more of a sneer than a smile, but that's me.

You forgot Captain N Ridley.
Seeing Captain N Ridley and Kraid side by side, I'm not sure which of them is worse.

At least the Ridley looks remotely like a dragon, although a very very stupid and fat one and still an abomination, but the Kraid is just... a staff wielding troll? No reptilian features at all... Megaman was also turned green in the cartoon, among other things.

*applies brain bleach to it all, and to the earlier Ridley and Andross body comparison*

Last edited:

Neo Zero

If it's any facial expression at all, I'd see the look on his face as more of a sneer than a smile, but that's me.

Seeing Captain N Ridley and Kraid side by side, I'm not sure which of them is worse.

At least the Ridley looks remotely like a dragon, although a very very stupid and fat one and still an abomination, but the Kraid is just... a staff wielding troll? No reptilian features at all... Captain N also turned Megaman green, among other things.

*applies brain bleach to it all, and to the earlier Ridley and Andross body comparison*
They look like rejected designs for Bebop and Rocksteady tbqh

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I...kinda have to agree on the first five. While Melee is praised to God-like proportions by the competitive scene, it has the worst roster in the series. Heck, Dr. Mario's trophies even point out how blatantly similar he is to Mario. Pichu had no business being there, Young Link easily could have had a unique moveset instead of copy/pasting adult Link, and Roy was literally a last minute advertisement. Then you got Mewtwo, the strongest of all Pokemon, ending up as one of the worst characters in the game.

However, Sakurai, besides some questionable choices for this game, has improved on his decisions when it comes to the roster, so hopefully Ridley won't have such a disappointing fate.
That does explain why the almighty Mewtwo probably didn't make it in Brawl.

Though I'm not sure if he has it better or worse than Ganondorf...

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Wow, that Jerry Applesauce bloke was probably the politest detractor I've ever seen.

I think the biggest argument I would say we have for his inclusion as playable right now is the choppy animation, to be honest. Shadow analysis is pretty accurate, but it's shaky enough that I personally wouldn't use it as evidence.

A Ridley Amiibo couldn't be made. It'd take up the same space as your average yearly Christmas tree, and that's if you were lucky. :awesome:

Top Bottom