• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
If it's any facial expression at all, I'd see the look on his face as more of a sneer than a smile, but that's me.

Seeing Captain N Ridley and Kraid side by side, I'm not sure which of them is worse.

At least the Ridley looks remotely like a dragon, although a very very stupid and fat one and still an abomination, but the Kraid is just... a staff wielding troll? No reptilian features at all... Megaman was also turned green in the cartoon, among other things.

*applies brain bleach to it all, and to the earlier Ridley and Andross body comparison*
I hate to bring these up again, but it's also pretty hilarious to see how Ridley is bigger than Kraid. Speaking of Kraid, I really want him to make another appearance. Even if Brinstar Depths returns in Brawl, especially if he appears in the next Metroid game. I dunno, I just feel like he has way too awesome of a design (Captain N nonwithstanding) to pass up. I mean, seriously:

It's also a little weird to see the space pirates without one of their 2 leaders... And Kraid is iconic... I'd go on further but that would just get rambly and even more off topic.
Also I only just noticed that Kraid has moobs. Blain bleach time.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Wow, that Jerry Applesauce bloke was probably the politest detractor I've ever seen.

I think the biggest argument I would say we have for his inclusion as playable right now is the choppy animation, to be honest. Shadow analysis is pretty accurate, but it's shaky enough that I personally wouldn't use it as evidence.

A Ridley Amiibo couldn't be made. It'd take up the same space as your average yearly Christmas tree, and that's if you were lucky. :awesome:
They'd have to downsize it too much for that. It'd look dumb.

EDIT: You know, with Phantoon's major role in Other M, I hope he can eventually be escalated to the iconicity of Ridley and Kraid. Kraid's only got one game up on Phantoon, and is pretty known. I guess we'll see, though.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I seriously question people's inteligence when they say Ridley's character is being big, damnit Sakurai, you like to make us suffer, just confirm him already
It is an aspect of his character though; albeit it is not Ridley in his entirety, but that does not alter the notion that it is reasonable to interpret his size as a contributing factor of his character.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
Just gonna barge right in here and ask, has anyone equated Ridley being playable to Andross being playable yet? I won't do it, although I am a "detractor," but I'm wondering if anyone has brought that thought up yet. It's got to have crossed someone else's mind other than mine, big boys. ;)
Hey, If MODOK (who, if I remember correctly, is nothing more than a floating head with floating hands) can be playable in MvC3, Andross Could certainly work

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
It is an aspect of his character though; albeit it is not Ridley in his entirety, but that does not alter the notion that it is reasonable to interpret his size as a contributing factor of his character.
I'd say size is more of Kraid's thing. Except for Mini-Kraid, but that was never really a proper boss anyway. Toon Kraid?
Regardless, I can certainly see Ridley being scaled down. Ridley's size can never fit his own ego anyway.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think that if size doesn't entirely define him, then as long as he's still relatively big it's alright to shrink him down for the purpose of making him playable.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Hey, If MODOK (who, if I remember correctly, is nothing more than a floating head with floating hands) can be playable in MvC3, Andross Could certainly work
For the record, MODOK is a floating head and arms that also has legs and the arms and legs are connected to his head-body. And he floats using a hover-chair.
Andross is different, he's just a floating face with disconnected, floating arms. I don't see him working unless he got a pre-giant face form.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
MODOK has legs and his hands are not floating; however, you are correct, he is predominantly a giant head.

I'd say size is more of Kraid's thing. Except for Mini-Kraid, but that was never really a proper boss anyway. Toon Kraid?
Regardless, I can certainly see Ridley being scaled down. Ridley's size can never fit his own ego anyway.
Of course, but objectively speaking, it is an aspect of his character. Even if there is a more solid correlation between Kraid and "size."

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I don't know why people are still arguing about canon and size. Like people touched upon before with Mario spin-offs, Kart and golf break canon all the time, one moment Bowser's kidnapping Peach, and another day he's more focused on winning a kart or golf cup and couldn't care less about the princess. Plus you also have Pete and the Queen bee who got scaled down massively to fit into karts. Haven't posted for a while so just wanted to trying and add something to the convo.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Does Mario even have a canon?
In fact, how many Nintendo games do? I mean, there's Metroid, Fire Emblem (despite inconsistencies in Awakening), Mother, Zelda (albeit a rather convoluted one), maybe Kirby...
Somebody tell me if I'm missing something here. At the very least, I know that Smash Bros doesn't tend to follow the canon of other games anyway.

D

Deleted member

In fact, how many Nintendo games do? I mean, there's Metroid, Fire Emblem (despite inconsistencies in Awakening), Mother, Zelda (albeit a rather convoluted one), maybe Kirby...
Somebody tell me if I'm missing something here. At the very least, I know that Smash Bros doesn't tend to follow the canon of other games anyway.
What inconsistencies in Awakening? I never played the other FE games

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
What inconsistencies in Awakening? I never played the other FE games
Stuff to do with Grima and the earth dragons, I can't really go into much detail without spoiling other past games though. Also I'm not sure on it myself, but that's really it. Also, Falchion's design changed but there's an explanation for that.

Morbi

Scavenger
Every Nintendo game has canon; it does not, however, mean that it is consistent.

I don't know why people are still arguing about canon and size. Like people touched upon before with Mario spin-offs, Kart and golf break canon all the time, one moment Bowser's kidnapping Peach, and another day he's more focused on winning a kart or golf cup and couldn't care less about the princess. Plus you also have Pete and the Queen bee who got scaled down massively to fit into karts. Haven't posted for a while so just wanted to trying and add something to the convo.
I suppose there is not a lot of objective fact to contradict Ridley, so people resort to fallacious arguments.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Metroid has some continuity snarl in some of its games, like with the Space Pirates doing research on Metroid Prime and it escaping, despite the fact that it was completely sealed off in the Impact Crater with Chozo Artifacts protecting it. Which was later muddled by the PAL versions rewriting the scenario in which the Pirates knew about Prime's existence but couldn't quite do research on it, even though it has artificial weaponry attached to it.

And then there's the whole matter of Other M, which seems to have retconned Metroid Prime (the series) out of existence by saying that it was the first time Samus was working with the Federation ever since she left it.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Other M retconned the **** out of everything in Metroid. That game changed even the events of Super Metroid. It is better to just ignore Other M and accept the other games as the true canon. After all, not even Nintendo acknowledged Other M's existences in the Kotaku interview.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
Yeah, but note that the characters in the Mario series are more "actors" than anything else (Miyamoto even said it himself!) so that sort of manipulation is totally allowed. Whereas in Zelda, Metroid, and Starfox they at least have a viable story going on, with little weirdness save for the retconned Starfox and the Hyrule Warriors spinoff, and all that CD-i garbage, so we can presume that less liberties can be taken with them, at least in terms of their main series, right?

Having Ridley as a boss rather than playable, for me, seems best, because it further emphasizes the lack of control Samus has over him. He keeps coming back in one way or another, even when she shoots him down and eventually kills him, he somehow arises from the ashes back and ready to kill her more than ever.
If what your saying is true, Ganondorf doesn't deserve a spot either.
"Having Ganondorf as a boss rather than playable, for me, seems the best, because it further emphasizes the lack of control Link and Zelda have over him. He keeps coming back in one way or another, even when Link stabs his body with the master sword and Zelda seals him in the Sacred Realm, he somehow breaks the seal and comes back, ready to kill the other two bearers of the sacred triangle more than ever."

Morbi

Scavenger
Other M retconned the **** out of everything in Metroid. That game changed even the events of Super Metroid. It is better to just ignore Other M and accept the other games as the true canon. After all, not even Nintendo acknowledged Other M's existences in the Kotaku interview.
Or you could recognize two separate "canons" similar to the Legend of Zelda timelines! No? Okay...

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
And then there's the whole matter of Other M, which seems to have retconned Metroid Prime (the series) out of existence by saying that it was the first time Samus was working with the Federation ever since she left it.
And also some iffy inconsistencies between it and Fusion.

Case in point, the fact that Samus loses her suit if she loses concentration despite the fact that it had to be surgically removed from her in Fusion while she was unconscious.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero

Case in point, the fact that Samus loses her suit if she loses concentration despite the fact that it had to be surgically removed from her in Fusion while she was unconscious.
Is this the part where I add that retconning Fusion isn't a bad thing just to make you glare at me? :3

EDIT: But seriously. Inconsistencies happen, and I dunno why people make such a stink over it.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I throw my hands up in the air when I try to reconcile the Paper Mario series with the main universe.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I bloody knew you were gonna reply to that. It was written in the ancient scrolls.
:awesome:

But seriously. I really dunno why people get so pissy about inconsistencies. I appreciate nice callbacks but it's not like I need callbacks to happen for me to enjoy the game or anything. Other M could have literally said "This is the first and last game in the entire series" and I wouldn't really care, since I know that's BS, I played like. Seven of them.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Or you could recognize two separate "canons" similar to the Legend of Zelda timelines! No? Okay...
But there is no separate canon in the Zelda timeline. All three timelines are linked to each other, they branch at the exact same event. Unless Nintendo states that Other M is a separate canon or something like that, there is no reason to believe in such thing, but I do have reasons to believe Other M shouldn't be taken seriously, as I stated in my previous post. I am not obligating anyone to agree with me, but I prefer to consider Super Metroid, Prime series, etc as the true canon instead of accepting that the worst game in the series retconned the Prime series and a few events of Super Metroid.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Apparently the stealth section in Zero Mission was retconned into Samus losing her confidence when she was shot down, rather than her suit being in the ship when it was destroyed.

Which is kinda stupid, but I guess there needed to be SOME kind of explanation for why she loses the suit when she dies.

Eh, what the hell, I'll try filling that particular plot hole in Fusion.

The X took over Samus's suit, which kept the suit from disappearing when Samus fell unconscious. By the time Samus was cured, her suit was already heavily modified, so her concentration could hold together the Fusion Suit, but couldn't recall the original suit. The original suit didn't disappear because it was taken over by the X.

majora_787

Smash Hero
But there is no separate canon in the Zelda timeline. All three timelines are linked to each other, they branch at the exact same event. Unless Nintendo states that Other M is a separate canon or something like that, there is no reason to believe in such thing, but I do have reasons to believe Other M shouldn't be taken seriously, as I stated in my previous post. I am not obligating anyone to agree with me, but I prefer to consider Super Metroid, Prime series, etc as the true canon instead of accepting that the worst game in the series retconned the Prime series and a few events of Super Metroid.

You mean you're incapable of accepting a poor retcon AND acknowledging a game that you feel is the worst despite other worse titles as canon on some minimal level?

I'm not trying to start anything, I'm just saying. In no way are "ignoring its bullcrap" and "acknowledging that it exists" mutually exclusive.

Morbi

Scavenger
Of course; however, prior to the timeline split, most people just recognized the games as separate canons more or less. Who knows, Metroid might do something similar to explain the inconsistencies? I was mostly joking though.

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Metroid is a series that mostly works better the less plot it has. Other M shows us what happens when storytelling gets priority over design and gameplay (and not in a good way). Though this is also one of my main beefs with the Prime series, the Metroid Prime is apparently a metroid, but how did it get into the impact crater? The place was sealed off by the Chozo long before the game happens, and why would they keep metroids on Tallon IV when metroids were specifically created as a bioweapon against X-parasites which only existed on SR-388? Plus the pirates only arrived recently, and that change between the american and european versions don't help either.

Urgh, this has always been my biggest gripe with the Prime games, not to say they are bad, because thet're not. The Prime series are fantastic games, though I myself don't play them (I'm not an FPS fan, I've tried them but I just couldn't get into it. Plus some of the designs used are a bit too strange for my liking, I'm looking at you Omega Ridley).

Plus I always felt the 2D Metroid games does a fantastic job of foreshadowing in the instances they use it.

Metroid 2: when you encounter your first metroid, and it suddenly evolves, giving you a sense of mystery around what's going on with the metroids in this game and what your next encounters will be like.

Super Metroid: Dead scientists everywhere, must mean something bad's going on! Dried out husks everywhere, this can't be good!

Fusion: What's that shadow flying around in the background? Why are there empty metroid shells here all of a sudden?

Zero Mission uses silent cutscenes instead, though they're still better than those in OM.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Basically why I end up ignoring plot 99% of the time in Metroid games. Lets me get enjoyment from most of them most of the time.

Morbi

Scavenger
I actually really enjoyed Other M's cut-scenes though. I do not feel as though the games need less story telling, they just need better story telling.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
I actually really enjoyed Other M's cut-scenes though. I do not feel as though the games need less story telling, they just need better story telling.
You are literally the first person I have met, online or personally, who has ever said that. Are you sure you kept a straight face while saying that and if you did... I'm actually kind of curious, why is that? I'm interested to see a different opinion than my own and the rest of the internet.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I feel like that's literally the entire problem. Good ideas and poor execution. I feel like if they actually went through with everything they had in mind and actually just did a better job of it, the game's quality would've been preserved a good amount. Presentation can change a lot of things by itself, you know.

Also addition to my previous post, though I do like often the games not forcing a main plot, I like games that significantly expand the Metroid universe. That kind of thing is mostly attributed to the Prime games more than any other through its ancient lores and scans and whatnot, which I find to be a much more enjoyable way of handling it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom