• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Morbi

Scavenger
You are literally the first person I have met, online or personally, who has ever said that. Are you sure you kept a straight face while saying that and if you did... I'm actually kind of curious, why is that? I'm interested to see a different opinion than my own and the rest of the internet.
I suppose I went into Other M's cut-scenes/story as unbiased as possible because I have never played a Metroid game prior which would have enabled me to form preconceived notions of what was and was not "Metroid." I was always interested in Metroid because I played Samus a lot in Smash, but I was very inept when it came to Metroid lore. So I searched which game had the best story, I actually knew that it was a controversial game going into it (literally everyone said that it was the worst story of any game in recent memory, but I could sense the bias as they did not really cite any reasons other than: it turned Samus into a ***** and that it was inconsistent with previous games, some people labored a disdain for what they did to Ridley as well). However, that did not deter me as it was my only ideal option. The quality of the cut-scenes from an animation perspective was fairly immaculate for a Wii game. The voice-acting was not necessarily the best, but I gave it a pass as Nintendo does not usually even have notable voice-acting in their games. I actually enjoyed the insight it gave into the mysterious character that was Samus, but even I was rolling my eyes at her submissiveness. Overall, I really liked the story and I interpret it as its own entity.

Last edited:

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Prime's data logs and ancient lore stuff being largely optional yet still quite informative if you do chose to go after them, is in my opinion a much more effective way to expand on the Metroid universe. Makes it more tempting to discover more knowledge than being force-fed it through awfully scripted cutscenes. Though I have to agree with you @ majora_787 majora_787 , a better presentation would have gone a long way to make Other M more bearable.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeh, Other M is kind of like the Subspace Emissary. "Well that was nice, but can we not do that again and focus on something that matters more to the series?" kind of thing.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I've got nearly 7,000 likes myself. I've got no idea how or why. It's not like I even do anything here.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
I've got nearly 7,000 likes myself. I've got no idea how or why. It's not like I even do anything here.
Probably from destroying a whole bunch of detractors and everyone here loves that, not mention you and alot of people here have a good sense of humor, probably why I frequent this thread more than I should lol.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
This doesn't surprise me at all especially when you keep posting hilarious pic of Ridley, among other things (I saw that Sceptile moveset nice stuff ;)), this applies to @ AndreaAC AndreaAC too :bee:
Awww....Thank you! I try to do my best with my drawings and stuff...:happysheep:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Have you all seen this yet?

I chuckled when I first saw it.
It's been posted several times here. I'll admit, I have some issues about the gif: namely the lack of Pokemon Trainer, K. Rool, Dixie, Lucas, and the rest of the Gematsu characters but you could only fit so many characters in one picture.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
I still think Other M is underrated, it might not be my favorite but it is not a bad one, the story was bad but I liked the gameplay with the exception of the first view mode, here are some flaws in the story in my opinion
-Adam's squad was filler, the only ones that are important are Adam and Anthony, also the story didn't need Anthony, Anthony feels like a forced character to me
-Ridley scene wasn't actually bad, but could have been better
-Samus being unable to use his beams, missiles, etc because of Adam is ridiculous, Samus was doing him a favor and she should have said something like "If you want my help, then I'll follow my own rules"
-Samus getting one shotted by a freeze gun when she was taking plasma beams, lasers, lava before
-The deleter plot was pointless

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Damn it, we've gone past this topic already... I'm a slow typer though, so I'm going to post this essay anyway!
I suppose I went into Other M's cut-scenes/story as unbiased as possible because I have never played a Metroid game prior which would have enabled me to form preconceived notions of what was and was not "Metroid." I was always interested in Metroid because I played Samus a lot in Smash, but I was very inept when it came to Metroid lore. So I searched which game had the best story, I actually knew that it was a controversial game going into it (literally everyone said that it was the worst story of any game in recent memory, but I could sense the bias as they did not really cite any reasons other than: it turned Samus into a ***** and that it was inconsistent with previous games, some people labored a disdain for what they did to Ridley as well). However, that did not deter me as it was my only ideal option. The quality of the cut-scenes from an animation perspective was fairly immaculate for a Wii game. The voice-acting was not necessarily the best, but I gave it a pass as Nintendo does not usually even have notable voice-acting in their games. I actually enjoyed the insight it gave into the mysterious character that was Samus, but even I was rolling my eyes at her submissiveness. Overall, I really liked the story and I interpret it as its own entity.
You know what, I actually kind of see where you're coming from. I actually somehow forgot about the quality of the animations and the gameplay wasn't half bad either.
Honestly though the main problem with Other M was that it completely changed what Samus was like to adapt to the Japanese audience which wasn't really interested in Metroid at the time. That's why the voice acting is monotonous, the Japanese are more fond of stoic heroes. Except it STILL didn't get much interest from Japan, and the scene with Ridley and Samus meeting again was, to put it lightly, controversial over here. Heavily controversial. It was actually inspired by a manga, which was also not that popular in many places as far as I could tell. It wasn't known AT ALL over in the west actually, and - here's the big, big thing - it changed Samus from one of gaming's first and most definitive strong female characters into someone who would panic and let their biggest rival (who looks flat out stupid in that game btw) pick them up, while needing the help of a man (who at the time was just "mysterious black guy". "Remember me?" What a joke. Though he turned out to be one of the few good points of the game, but that's not the point) in order to get out of that mess. The voice actor herself isn't a bad voice actor, and Team Ninja isn't a bad developing studio: The mess that was Other M was the fault of Yoshio Sakamoto and an attempt to pander to the limited and still draining Japanese audience in a way that didn't convert very well to western culture.
tl;dr: Metroid Other M made Samus not awesome to try and make the series popular in Japan and failed.
Ok, rant over.
Side note: Controversial is one of those words which always looks like it's spelled wrong but it isn't and it bugs me.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I still think Other M is underrated, it might not be my favorite but it is not a bad one, the story was bad but I liked the gameplay with the exception of the first view mode, here are some flaws in the story in my opinion
-Adam's squad was filler, the only ones that are important are Adam and Anthony, also the story didn't need Anthony, Anthony feels like a forced character to me
-Ridley scene wasn't actually bad, but could have been better
-Samus being unable to use his beams, missiles, etc because of Adam is ridiculous, Samus was doing him a favor and she should have said something like "If you want my help, then I'll follow my own rules"
-Samus getting one shotted by a freeze gun when she was taking plasma beams, lasers, lava before
-The deleter plot was pointless
That's honestly why I get so tired of listening to Other M bashing. When you manage to underrate a game that isn't that great to begin with, you need to calm down a bit. But what can ya do. I didn't have much of an issue with things involving plot or authorization, since I really don't care much about the main plots of Metroid games ever. I didn't get the game for the story, and I got it before I saw negative impressions of it. And really I'd rather Samus not be using her equipment because of a commanding officer and her doing her job even if only SLIGHTLY more than her forgetting all of her gear at home which seems to happen more than it should.

EDIT: I'm not even going to touch the Samus shenanigans or why I think that whole conversation is dumb to begin with. Y'all have fun with that one.

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Actually, there is one more thing I forgot: Usually I would forgive a game with good gameplay and bad story if the story is skippable. Except the cutscenes in Other M are a huge problem because they can't be skipped. Otherwise, I would be fine with it. "Oh hey I walked through a door, now I'm fighting Ridley! Yay!" But nope. It's "oh, I walked through a door - oh another excruciatingly cringeworthy, boring cutscene." At least, in my opinion.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
So I was playing Super Metroid and got to Ridley at Lower Norfair. After depleting both my normal Missiles and my Super Missiles in his face, he grabbed me... and spontaneously combusted.

Weird... It's almost as if it was some sort of kamikaze attack.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Actually, there is one more thing I forgot: Usually I would forgive a game with good gameplay if the story is skippable. Except the cutscenes in Other M are a huge problem because they can't be skipped. Otherwise, I would be fine with it. "Oh hey I walked through a door, now I'm fighting Ridley! Yay!" But nope. It's "oh, I walked through a door - oh another excruciatingly cringeworthy, boring cutscene." At least, in my opinion.
I dunno. I got over it, I'm surprised at how touchy some people are sometimes. :Y Then again, it's not like I played through the game twice.

EDIT: Just saying, that video is more cringe-inducing so far than Other M's cutscenes.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So I was playing Super Metroid and got to Ridley at Lower Norfair. After depleting both my normal Missiles and my Super Missiles in his face, he grabbed me... and spontaneously combusted.

I believe that Ridley will die in this fashion if his health is low enough. In fact, I'm pretty sure speedrunners often try exploiting it.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
I just have finished Metroid Prime for the 15th time. Such a masterpiece, it's still an awesome game after all this years.

Now, I really want another Prime game.

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Other M is a functionally decent game, it's not like it's the worst game ever. It just happens to suffer from some very glaring issues. Like the game forcing you to play by its tempo, instead of your own (hallways designed to deliberately keep you from using the speed-booster is a shining example). Combat though is very nice to look at, so much flashy action, much more impressive than just standing/running & gunning.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
What crazy match ups do want to see Ridley in.

I think a fight where Ridley is getting beaten by Jigglypuff would be quite hilarious, what do you guys want to see?

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Personally, Metroid's story is one of the things that drew me in. I'm a sucker for story, and I'll admit that. Story I's one of my favourite parts, so naturally when I tried my first Metroid out of interest (Prime, it was), I found scanning to be one of the best things in the game. I found it difficult, though, because I loved the gameplay and the scanning so much; part of me wanted to run through with my scan visor, and the other part wanted to with my combat visor. It was tough.

But, I've played Prime twice and the second time, I scanned almost everything and nearly 100%ed the game in terms of scans. It was absolutely incredible, and afterwards I played as many Metroids as I could. I've completed all but Metroid 2 (and I used cheats for Metroid 1 because I'm a huge cheater) now, and when I bought Other M I thought, and to this day still do think that the gameplay in Other M is actually really good, outside of the moments where you have to go first-person to scan things or to heal during intense sequences. I loved Roidley, too, and his design is one I personally would love to see in Smash.

But while I don't strictly think that Metroids with plots are bad, Other M tried to retcon so much that I just ended up hating the story. As mentioned, it retcons Prime 3 out of existence, and Prime 3 was excellent. I suppose it technically retcons Rundas' death out of existence, so there's a plus. Huehuehue.

I think my main issue with story in Other M is the lack of anything actually positive happening regarding Samus. I could deal with the cringeworthy voice acting if it actually went somewhere. Sure, I don't appreciate the way Sakomoto handled Samus in the Ridley scene, but my MAIN gripe is... what happens to Samus' character other than becoming weaker? In one of the cutscenes, it shows Adam sacrificing his brother to save everyone on the ship and Samus pleads with him to not do it, that she can save him. And then, at the end of the game (after the OP ice attack, request nerf), Adam goes into Sector Zero and... Samus pleads again? I understand wanting to make Samus out to be human and all, but as a character... where's the development?

...Oh, and don't forget the retcon where Samus basically middle fingered Old Bird, despite parts of the game being based on or referencing the manga.

I guess I'd describe Other M as the Sonic 06 of the Metroid franchise. It's been beaten to death and absolutely has its bad points, and plenty of bad points at that, but it's nowhere near the abhorrent game people make it out to be.

...Besides, that scene where Ridley shows his glowing eyes after coming out of the lava is awesome. Imagine if he did that in his playable reveal scene for SSB4.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
What crazy match ups do want to see Ridley in.

I think a fight where Ridley is getting beaten by Jigglypuff would be quite hilarious, what do you guys want to see?
I want to put Ridley in the brightest, cheeriest, and most light-hearted stages in the games alongside Ganondorf, so they can get the crap beaten out of them by the cute characters.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Oh okay. All of those posts suddenly appeared out of nowhere. I'm watching the above video now and so far it's more cringe-inducing than Other M's unskippable cutscenes. Love listening to people simultaneously whine and display minimal understanding of what's involved. Makes me take them EXTREMELY seriously. Definitely.

Also waiting for Ridley vs Bowser or RIdley vs other villain additions obviously.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

I think this is how he looked after that...

Untitled.png

:C Poor thing...

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Out the billions of problems that the story of that so-called game has, I always find really amusing that Sakamoto felt the need to explain why Samus does a thumbs down in a very lenghty cutscene but couldnt be bothered to include any context to Samus' fear of Ridley. "My long standing nemesis, Ridley" doesnt cover anything of the incident that practically kickstarts the whole series that is only explained in an obscure. japanese comic.
The only way mainstreams (or any casual metroid fan) could understand why she suffers a meltdown and reverses into a little girl is if they watched the NA TV COMERCIAL, because its never addressed in the game itself.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Out the billions of problems that the story of that so-called game has, I always find really amusing that Sakamoto felt the need to explain why Samus does a thumbs down in a very lenghty cutscene but couldnt be bothered to include any context to Samus' fear of Ridley. "My long standing nemesis, Ridley" doesnt cover anything of the incident that practically kickstarts the whole series that is only explained in an obscure. japanese comic.
The only way mainstreams (or any casual metroid fan) could understand why she suffers a meltdown and reverses into a little girl is if they watched the NA TV COMERCIAL, because its never addressed in the game itself.
Actually, I think that the thumbs down scene causes even more problems for it...

Such great advertising! /sarcasm

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Other M is not a bad game, but it's a bad Metroid's game. I couldn't enjoy it as much as the others Metroid's games.

AndreaAC

Well, his whole body kinda falls apart as it explodes, so he'd look even worse.
xD Yeah I know, but I always had the idea that he ended like that image and that he was able to escape Zebes...the Original Ridley is too awesome to just die exploding...even if he explodes he doesn't really explodes (like that...for me Ridley never actually exploded into pieces like Mogenar or Helios...just unleashed the Phazon energy within...).

:3 but that's just me.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Even Samus gives Other M a bad review. Now we need Ridley giving it a thumbs down.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Seven minutes in and waiting for someone who can pretend to sound like they know what they're talking about. :p

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well, that video was an adventure. After all that, I realized something.

I want Ridley to be playable in SSB4! O: /stunningrevelation

Top Bottom