• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
It could never have been gliding since that always keeps you flying forward. Most likely it'd be a Peach-like jump or an Up-B.
This makes me think of a very specific special, actually. Anyone played Brawl Minus here? Charizard's neutral B is replaced with an attack where he hovers in the air just above the ground for as long as you hold B (or after a certain amount of time) and then fires a long range fireball.

D

Deleted member

[Insert Obligatory This Isn't the Pac-Man Thread it's the Ridley Thread Post Here]

Just thought I should try to reel things back before we get too off topic and the mods come after us.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Found iiiit~!

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...e-pirate-lounge.324284/page-327#post-16122220

My moveset that I made back in December! Note how its set of special moves already have three variations each! It's because of my gimmick of using Ridley, Meta-Ridley, and Omega Ridley without necessarily relying on "tranformation", so every attack has three variations.

But still... on top of the game as usual. :smirk:
Yeah, I remember that moveset. Man, you were just ahead of the time/curve when you made that, having a moveset with three variations before that was even revealed to be a thing in Sm4sh. Kudos.

I think we could get Dark Samus.

I don't think Nintendo would add Anthony Higgs, after what Other M did. They designed the stages off Other M because it was the latest Metroid game, but the chances are, they want to move onto greener pastures.
One can hope you're right. Seems rather sound in hindsight. Hard to see Dark Samus pulling a Little Mac though (going from assist trophy to playable character) especially if she's not in another Prime game or something by the next Smash, but it'd be cool still.

I'm not against Anthony though necessarily; just against pretending that he's the only other plausible choice before or after Ridley.

Because they think a sexy Samus is the most important thing people care about in Metroid.:urg:
It's cringeworthy when some friends or someone ask you in real life if that's why you even play the series. I tend to have a different sarcastic/funny response each time I'm asked that by someone IRL now.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I too subscribe to the "hinting=confirmation" theory.

Little Mac was foreshadowed in the Boxing Ring.
Rosalina was foreshadowed in Mario Galaxy.
Greninja was foreshadowed in Lumiose City.
Palutena was foreshadowed in her stage and the Trophy Quiz, and the change in Pit's Final Smash.
Mewtwo is foreshadowed in Greninja's trailer, when Greninja borrowed Mewtwo's hands.
Arena Ferox means nothing special to Marth and Ike, so it must either be the stage of Chrom or the Avatar. Though I'm leaning toward Robin, as I don't really want another blue-haired swordsman.
Ridley is foreshadowed in Pyrosphere, and has been heavily teased and foreshadowed without actually showing him off, unlike the Yellow Devil, Twinrova, The Dark Emperor, Kamek...

The only real failing is that it's pretty impossible to predict new franchises like Golden Sun, Xenoblade, Custom Robo...
I agree with Little Mac, Rosalina, and Palutena. Mewtwo was also kind of foreshadowed by Sakurai outright saying he was "thinking about" Mewtwo / using his mega evolution or whatever he could have meant by those shenanigans. Arena Ferox is also most likely hinting at Chrom, and Ridley is foreshadowed by a lot of shenanigans going on literally everywhere.

The only press that could possibly come from hinting and prodding a character this much and then deconfirming them later, especially after hinting at and confirming all of these others, is bad press. And I think Sakurai cares a little more than to equate good and bad impressions.

Also, I don't enjoy talking about Winged Ridley Pirate of the Space. In general I was distracted by the fact that that Ridley mob was even drawn to begin with. xD

Also you know, people going off about how Ridley can't have any sort of special move that lets him hover in the air for 6-7 seconds probably didn't notice that Palutena seems to have a special move that lets her well outrun Sonic, and an AoE attack that takes up over half of the Battlefield. Things that we've clearly never seen on any character ever, and if those were made as suggestions people would call overpowered on that right away.

Not that I really get how people think a large slow-moving and entirely or mostly horizontal hover is overpowered. People have literally compared it to Meta Knight when it's not nearly that obscene,

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I like you.

Though in regards to the last point you made about new franchises without any hints, I think something that needs to be considered is how they could actually be hinted at. If you look at the other characters you listed, those characters were teased and hinted at, but those hints and teases were never exactly huge, obvious hints. For example, the Mario Galaxy and Lumiose City stages, while hints towards Rosalina and Greninja, respectively, weren't blatantly obvious hints towards their inclusion, as the stages themselves were pretty logical and expected choices. Similarly, Ridley's teasing looks like (and may actually be) a de-confirmation; if Ridley ends up being confirmed, it would be clear that he was being hinted at all this time, but it wasn't to the point where his inclusion was guaranteed. Far from it. Now, in regards to series like Xenoblade, let's say that in a random pic of the day, they revealed a Xenoblade stage. I would imagine that most people would interpret that as an obvious clue that Shulk was going to be a playable character. After all, why bother adding in Xenoblade content like that without the main character? In a case like that, I think the hint would be too obvious. The closest thing we've had to a situation like that is with Little Mac and the Boxing Ring, and look what they did there: they completely re-skinned the stage to hide the fact that it was a Punch Out stage. If they hadn't done that, Little Mac's inclusion would almost be completely given away by such an obvious hint.

So basically, I think the reason why certain series with potential characters haven't been teased yet, like Xenoblade or Golden Sun, is because, frankly, any teasing regarding those characters would be too obvious. Well, there's also the fact that a lot of those series are not going to get playable characters, and thus won't be teased at all, but since there are certain series (Xenoblade) that seem very likely to get a character at this point, I think the reason for a lack of teasing would be because any teasing at all would just give away the surprise.
But then this runs directly into the auto-deconfirm phenomenon. It's been established that every character deconfirmed had the news delivered short, sweet, and to the point with no previous hinting towards them. Ridley has gotten the exact opposite treatment.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I wasn't salty about Palutena until I learned about all the special treatment she's getting.

Yet another reason I'm eagerly awaiting Sakurai's retirement. Hopefully we can get a director who isn't so biased towards and against so many different franchises, especially since it's meant lackluster Metroid and DK representation across the board.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
But then this runs directly into the auto-deconfirm phenomenon. It's been established that every character deconfirmed had the news delivered short, sweet, and to the point with no previous hinting towards them. Ridley has gotten the exact opposite treatment.
Not only that, but any characters to be hinted at anywhere near Ridley's like Rosalina, Palutena, and Little Mac all ended up being playable characters.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Well @Zoroarking I tried...

SCAN0218.JPG

Ridley Vs. Ridley Scott (Mii).....I know the Mii does not look like Scott but I tried.

also...Sketchy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I agree with Little Mac, Rosalina, and Palutena. Mewtwo was also kind of foreshadowed by Sakurai outright saying he was "thinking about" Mewtwo / using his mega evolution or whatever he could have meant by those shenanigans. Arena Ferox is also most likely hinting at Chrom, and Ridley is foreshadowed by a lot of shenanigans going on literally everywhere.

The only press that could possibly come from hinting and prodding a character this much and then deconfirming them later, especially after hinting at and confirming all of these others, is bad press. And I think Sakurai cares a little more than to equate good and bad impressions.

Also, I don't enjoy talking about Winged Ridley Pirate of the Space. In general I was distracted by the fact that that Ridley mob was even drawn to begin with. xD

Also you know, people going off about how Ridley can't have any sort of special move that lets him hover in the air for 6-7 seconds probably didn't notice that Palutena seems to have a special move that lets her well outrun Sonic, and an AoE attack that takes up over half of the Battlefield. Things that we've clearly never seen on any character ever, and if those were made as suggestions people would call overpowered on that right away.

Not that I really get how people think a large slow-moving and entirely or mostly horizontal hover is overpowered. People have literally compared it to Meta Knight when it's not nearly that obscene,
Oh but it's okay, because it has already been done before

Also, I find it funnt that some detractors used Bowser's size in Mario Kart and Mario RPG as an argument when he was downsized to be playable

majora_787

Smash Hero
Oh but it's okay, because it has already been done before

Also, I find it funnt that some detractors used Bowser's size in Mario Kart and Mario RPG as an argument when he was downsized to be playable
It's been done before now that it's been made clear that it's going to be done in the future despite having not been done in the past. And you can't make Ridley's design playable because Bowser has a design made to be playable from when it was made to be playable, since his normal design didn't work for playable purposes.

Ridley supporters are the delusional ones, really. We promise.

EDIT: My personal favorite is "The main villain of one of the bigger Nintendo franchises doesn't deserve to be in the game that's about Nintendo All-Stars."

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
What should we call this place? The Splounge? (Space Pirate Lounge)?

It's kinda funny, because I'm part of this small Reddit community called the Plounge.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
This thread has always come across to me as a social thread instead of a general discussion on Ridley, to the point where I think a new thread should be created to serve just that in Ridley's subforum.

My personal favorite is "The main villain of one of the bigger Nintendo franchises doesn't deserve to be in the game that's about Nintendo All-Stars."
Did someone really say that? Are you sure they weren't trolling?

D

Deleted member

My personal favorite is: "Ridley is a really dumb choice, let's include Crash, Spyro, Shadow and Goku instead"
I've seen rosters that literally include the many characters possible, but no Ridley because "it's dumb", let me find some..
EDIT: Found more than I expected
It's totally understandable to have this amount of Pokemon reps, one-shot characters and a character that isn't even the protagonist from a game that doesn't have a rep, Ridley? Too big!

Let's replace every important character with one-shots, makes sense, doesn't?

I'm not being realistic, it's just my dream roster, Ridley? How the heck do you think he could be playable?

An my personal favorite

Every single character I want in the game, that's gonna be the final roster

It's like Ridley can't be even imagined, but ALL those characters are okay

Last edited by a moderator:

majora_787

Smash Hero
This thread has always come across to me as a social thread instead of a general discussion on Ridley, to the point where I think a new thread should be created to serve just that in Ridley's subforum.

Did someone really say that? Are you sure they weren't trolling?
Given the context of anything else I had seen this person say, I honestly have no idea but I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I remember that there was this gem on Miiverse that basically said: "Why do people want Ridley in, it would be like sizing down Petey Piranha its just not right".

Errr....

What ruined it however was that nobody pointed it out when they responded to it. :/

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Fact: Ridley is actually real. That's why literally ONLY he cannot be resized for playability, and anyone else of any proportions and any original size can be.

D

Deleted member

Found more than I expected
It's totally understandable to have this amount of Pokemon reps, one-shot characters and a character that isn't even the protagonist from a game that doesn't have a rep, Ridley? Too big!

I'm not being realistic, it's just my dream roster, Ridley? How the heck do you think he could be playable?

An my personal favorite

In case you guys missed my edit
I don't know why there is this spoiler tag

Last edited by a moderator:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
My personal favorite is: "Ridley is a really dumb choice, let's include Crash, Spyro, Shadow and Goku instead"
I've seen rosters that literally include the many characters possible, but no Ridley because "it's dumb", let me find some..
EDIT: Found more than I expected

An my personal favorite

I love that they basically shove Samus to the sides, as if they're blatantly admitting that they don't give a **** about Metroid and its fans.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Metroid doesn't matter, we need twelve characters from REAL important Nintendo titles like Mother, Fatal Frame, Baten Katos, Sin and Punishment, Pucnh-Out, Golden Sun... You know. The REAL prolific classics. They should have at least ten characters each.

...What? METROID? Metroid has too many characters. TWO, both of which are the same character in a different outfit? That's ridiculous. Overrepresented.

/grumpysarcasm

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Mario needs twenty reps. So does Sonic. Also, why not add characters from Microsoft and Sony, too? They're more likely than Ridley. Duuuuuuuuuh.

majora_787

Smash Hero
That was immeasurably satisfying bar the very end.

Also gave me a painful reminder of how achingly slow Ridley moved in the Direct footage... Most pathetic boss indeed...
Some people are totally okay with the outcome of a really slow and small Bossley even still I guess. I dunno, that'll be the most depressing part of Ridley not being playable. :Y

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I remember that there was this gem on Miiverse that basically said: "Why do people want Ridley in, it would be like sizing down Petey Piranha its just not right".

Errr....

What ruined it however was that nobody pointed it out when they responded to it. :/
You forgot another good example and here she is.....

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294

Errr....

Using a hack doesn't get your point across as well as I think it could. :/
Try Double Dash instead. :p

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
YFW the honey queen or whatever ends up in Smash Bros. over Ridley and people claim she isn't too big despite being like twice Ridley's size.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Why does that exist? Who let the idea of a character that appears twice in one game into the roster of Mario Kart over Waluigi.
Their excuse was due to limitations with his long limbs in a kart on the 3DS and hypothetically "adding another female racer", but that's better off spoken about on another topic.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Some people are totally okay with the outcome of a really slow and small Bossley even still I guess. I dunno, that'll be the most depressing part of Ridley not being playable. :Y
How could you not want an incredibly slow tiny boss that degrades a character? m8, b grateful tht he's evn n ths gaem, and be happi 1nce Anthony m8kes it. Freaking casual skrub.

Please note that the above is sarcasm and I in no way, shape, or form share this opinion.

Top Bottom