• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
How can Sakurai and Nintendo in general not salivate at the thought of a bunch of people seeing a badass Ridley figure and wanting to buy it without even knowing who he is, but because he's awesome? If Ridley isn't playable, that's just a huge missed opportunity and I doubt they've overlooked that possibility.
Because they think a sexy Samus is the most important thing people care about in Metroid.:urg:

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Again with the misconception that Zamus replaced Ridley as the new Metroid rep in this iteration of Smash...I'm not denying that she's fanservice, but treating a Brawl veteran as a newcomer is just silly.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Hey Imma right another thing even if it's not-actually canon.

Ridley's finally found another, another Ridactyl alive this should be a good thing right but... no, the only other Ridactyl he found alive was... him, a clone, and not only that a poorly made clone, incredibly dumber yet at the same time bigger, stronger, spikier? of course humans would try this, thinking they can just clone something and instantly put it on their side, at least he was smart enough to tear his way out of captivity, but now the two are stuck together, Ridley looks into this things weird green eyes and still sees glimmers of hope for good things, This guy hasn't seen the things Ridley has, He's just an idiot, and idiot who got bored and hungry and probably still thinks girls have "cooties", Ridley often thinks he should be killing this human made mockery.. but, he can't, Maybe it's the stupid way he praises everything Ridley does, maybe the idiotic way he affectionately refers to Ridley as "Bro" brings back thoughts of the past about not being able to protect his to-be-siblings eggs as they were smashed before his eyes, .... whatever it is, it seem they're stuck together.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Again with the misconception that Zamus replaced Ridley as the new Metroid rep in this iteration of Smash...I'm not denying that she's fanservice, but treating a Brawl veteran as a newcomer is just silly.
Who said she's a newcomer? She's listed as a veteran and Sakurai himself said she's BACK for this iteration of Smash. Yeah she got those ridiculous jet boots and is more curvy than she was in Brawl (and I didn't think that was possible, silly me) but is still a veteran.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Hey Imma right another thing even if it's not-actually canon.

Ridley's finally found another, another Ridactyl alive this should be a good thing right but... no, the only other Ridactyl he found alive was... him, a clone, and not only that a poorly made clone, incredibly dumber yet at the same time bigger, stronger, spikier? of course humans would try this, thinking they can just clone something and instantly put it on their side, at least he was smart enough to tear his way out of captivity, but now the two are stuck together, Ridley looks into this things weird green eyes and still sees glimmers of hope for good things, This guy hasn't seen the things Ridley has, He's just an idiot, and idiot who got bored and hungry and probably still thinks girls have "cooties", Ridley often thinks he should be killing this human made mockery.. but, he can't, Maybe it's the stupid way he praises everything Ridley does, maybe the idiotic way he affectionately refers to Ridley as "Bro" brings back thoughts of the past about not being able to protect his to-be-siblings eggs as they were smashed before his eyes, .... whatever it is, it seem they're stuck together.
It's funny that despite absolutely despising him, @ AndreaAC AndreaAC made Roidley so endearing and loveable.

To hammer this point in, I used to think the image she drew of Ridley eating Roidley was awesome, but looking back now it feels rather disturbing...

D

Deleted member

I just noticed something that may be extremely coincidential, in SSE, most of the characters paired up and each of those have something in common:
Mario and Pit: Both series get newcomers
Link and Yoshi: Both series get no new characters(I highly doubt a Zelda newcomer at this point)
Olimar and C.Falcon: No newcomers
Pkmn Trainer and Lucas: Using the Gematsu leak, both are cut
Samus and Pikachu: We already got the Pokemon newcomer, will the prophecy be fulfied?
I'm really overthinking

D

Deleted member

I just noticed something that may be extremely coincidential, in SSE, most of the characters paired up and each of those have something in common:
Mario and Pit: Both series get newcomers
Link and Yoshi: Both series get no new characters(I highly doubt a Zelda newcomer at this point)
Olimar and C.Falcon: No newcomers
Pkmn Trainer and Lucas: Using the Gematsu leak, both are cut
Samus and Pikachu: We already got the Pokemon newcomer, will the prophecy be fulfied?
I'm really overthinking
GRASP THE STRAWS

GRASP THEM ALL

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
It's funny that despite absolutely despising him, @ AndreaAC AndreaAC made Roidley so endearing and loveable.

To hammer this point in, I used to think the image she drew of Ridley eating Roidley was awesome, but looking back now it feels rather disturbing...
Times change I guess...again, I'm still surprised how from bloody violent encounters I changed to funny/silly ones...and I do not regret it, it is more fun, and it made me soften a little bit with Roidley...or at least my silly one....And now that you mention that drawing...I made in on a time of tension and anger...so I guess that is why it looks disturbing in comparison to my silly interactions with Rids and Roids....

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Who said she's a newcomer? She's listed as a veteran and Sakurai himself said she's BACK for this iteration of Smash. Yeah she got those ridiculous jet boots and is more curvy than she was in Brawl (and I didn't think that was possible, silly me) but is still a veteran.
There are some people who think that Sakurai thinks that because transformations were removed, Zamus counts as another slot to fill in a shrinking Metroid quota. As a result, some people hate her under pretense of fanservice trumping Ridley's chances. I can't wait for Ridley to be confirmed so that that irrational hate of a fine fighter can be put to rest.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
Final Smash:
Ridley talks all of a sudden and says "Riddle me this". Gives a random riddle, if opponent gets it wrong. insta KO

ender_idk

Smash Journeyman
Final Smash:
Ridley talks all of a sudden and says "Riddle me this". Gives a random riddle, if opponent gets it wrong. insta KO
But what happens when you get the right answer? :p

Also welcome to da lounge rookie. Always good to have more supporters. (Or worse idk :dizzy:)

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Final Smash:
Final smash transforms Ridley into a stage hazard FOREVER, cancelling the possibility to select him again for another fight.
It becomes the first lockable character in the history of videogames.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
But what happens when you get the right answer? :p

Also welcome to da lounge rookie. Always good to have more supporters. (Or worse idk :dizzy:)
Ridley gets mad anyways, grabs Samus (of course after she asks her Commander if that's alright) and whacks you with her, 69% damage.
And thanks, hopefully it's a good thing...i think

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
There are some people who think that Sakurai thinks that because transformations were removed, Zamus counts as another slot to fill in a shrinking Metroid quota. As a result, some people hate her under pretense of fanservice trumping Ridley's chances. I can't wait for Ridley to be confirmed so that that irrational hate of a fine fighter can be put to rest.
While I understand that point, and Sakurai thought she was a second Metroid character in Brawl (which is utter crap, still Samus), Ridley's chances haven't changed until we see him playable or as a boss character. No character being in or out is going to change his chances, and we'll just have to wait and see, unfortunately. Pics like today's daily one are just reiterating that Sakurai's not going to say squat about Ridley until the next Direct at the least, but I'm guessing it won't be until the game comes out and someone unlocks all the characters that we'll know Ridley's true fate.

D

Deleted member

You know what's going to be the best part when he's confirmed? The gigantic "I was wrong thread" and of course, a thread where we collect all of the silly arguments used against his inclusion

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Just had a thought. I'm starting to think that Ridley will be revealed before launch, most likely at the last Direct.

Let's look at Palutena. She was second only to Ridley in sheer amount of teasing and hinting, and she arrived at E3. But who's to follow up on that? None other then the character Sakurai has beaten around the bush more times then anyone else combined.

It would seem rather odd to have all that buildup and not do anything about it, especially now that we've seen firsthand that teased characters show up before launch. And before you mention Pac-Man's unceremonial reveal, remember that he didn't have any foreshadowing whatsoever (yes I'm not counting the Namco items back at the Smash Direct), not to mention everybody knew he was coming anyway. Ridley literally had a foreshadowing shadow. You can't get much more hidden in plain sight then that.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
But the question is, weren't the gliding mechanics cut? If so how did Ridley stay up in the air like that long enough for his shadow to be recorded like that without him falling on the ground...unless he always flies around or that's his shortly timed Up B (hopefully).

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Tbh I still have somewhat of a grudge against ZSS for being a poor excuse for an additional Metroid rep in Brawl. Don't really care too much about her in this installment though.

But the question is, weren't the gliding mechanics cut? If so how did Ridley stay up in the air like that long enough for his shadow to be recorded like that without him falling on the ground...unless he always flies around or that's his shortly timed Up B (hopefully).
It could never have been gliding since that always keeps you flying forward. Most likely it'd be a Peach-like jump or an Up-B.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Gliding was never cut, they removed from Pit to "better represent his Uprising incarnation", which makes sense since Pit can't glide, the other 2(MK and Charizard) are either unnanounced or have no word clarifing it

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I doubt gliding is back at all, otherwise I'm sure we'd have seen it for 'Zard with all those press photos. The Direct does directly state that the "Gliding mechanic is cut" too, and even while that's under Pit's segment that sounds much more like a general statement, plus Pit was the only announced gliding character at that point.

We'll know for sure when Meta Knight is confirmed I presume since it was such a big thing for his game.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
You know what's going to be the best part when he's confirmed? The gigantic "I was wrong thread" and of course, a thread where we collect all of the silly arguments used against his inclusion
Eh, I wouldn't want to feel too happy about that. Besides, it would make us look no better than the Too Bigots and the other silly detractors if we started mocking them for being wrong.

If he's confirmed to be playable this September ( I don't think Ridley will be announced this August), then I'll just sit back beaming with joy.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Eh, I wouldn't want to feel too happy about that. Besides, it would make us look no better than the Too Bigots and the other silly detractors if we started mocking them for being wrong.

If he's confirmed to be playable this September ( I don't think Ridley will be announced this August), then I'll just sit back beaming with joy.
Every recent newcomer has a "I was wrong" thread iirc, so it would only be natural for Ridley to also have one. I just hope to god people won't abuse it to act like asses if he is in fact a character.

But yeah, I'll just be holding my own little party too, I don't intend on holding any grudges towards anyone just because of their opinion on a space dragon.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Just had a thought. I'm starting to think that Ridley will be revealed before launch, most likely at the last Direct.

Let's look at Palutena. She was second only to Ridley in sheer amount of teasing and hinting, and she arrived at E3. But who's to follow up on that? None other then the character Sakurai has beaten around the bush more times then anyone else combined.

It would seem rather odd to have all that buildup and not do anything about it, especially now that we've seen firsthand that teased characters show up before launch. And before you mention Pac-Man's unceremonial reveal, remember that he didn't have any foreshadowing whatsoever (yes I'm not counting the Namco items back at the Smash Direct), not to mention everybody knew he was coming anyway. Ridley literally had a foreshadowing shadow. You can't get much more hidden in plain sight then that.
I could see that happening. Though I do question why you don't count the hints towards Pac-Man, since those kind of were hints towards his inclusion. We actually now know that those items are part of Pac-Man's move set, so Pac-Man was, like Ridley, hidden in plain sight.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I could see that happening. Though I do question why you don't count the hints towards Pac-Man, since those kind of were hints towards his inclusion. We actually now know that those items are part of Pac-Man's move set, so Pac-Man was, like Ridley, hidden in plain sight.
Simple, Bamco is helping with development, so it was obvious from the get-go that there would be Bamco items in the game (non of the ones shown directly related to Pac-Man himself either). Sure in hindsight it was obvious due to Pac using them in his own attacks, but back then most assumed all he would do is chomp on stuff.

With Ridley we got a stage that was specifically tied to him in the game it originated from, along with the "Enemy from Samus' past" remark, then the infamous shadow some months afterward. Quite a bit more then Pac got before his reveal.

D

Deleted member

*Returns from a day with no Internet*

*Sees Thread Title has been changed to Ridley's Gigantic Space Pirate Lounge*

*Dies of Happiness*

This is why I love this thread and the Space Pirates. <3

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

I too subscribe to the "hinting=confirmation" theory.

Little Mac was foreshadowed in the Boxing Ring.
Rosalina was foreshadowed in Mario Galaxy.
Greninja was foreshadowed in Lumiose City.
Palutena was foreshadowed in her stage and the Trophy Quiz, and the change in Pit's Final Smash.
Mewtwo is foreshadowed in Greninja's trailer, when Greninja borrowed Mewtwo's hands.
Arena Ferox means nothing special to Marth and Ike, so it must either be the stage of Chrom or the Avatar. Though I'm leaning toward Robin, as I don't really want another blue-haired swordsman.
Ridley is foreshadowed in Pyrosphere, and has been heavily teased and foreshadowed without actually showing him off, unlike the Yellow Devil, Twinrova, The Dark Emperor, Kamek...

The only real failing is that it's pretty impossible to predict new franchises like Golden Sun, Xenoblade, Custom Robo...

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
I dunno if this has been brought up already I'm too lazy to check
But in the April Direct you can catch a brief glimpse of the wings of the boss at pyrosphere, it wasn't the purple-red colour of Ridley's wings (Other M Ridley), rather it was yellow, like Meta-Ridley's wings...

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
But in the April Direct you can catch a brief glimpse of the wings of the boss at pyrosphere, it wasn't the purple-red colour of Ridley's wings (Other M Ridley), rather it was yellow, like Meta-Ridley's wings...
vlcsnap-2014-06-20-17h05m10s79.png

...That's his tail.

D

Deleted member

Umm.....
Smash Direct Wings:

Meta Ridley Wings:

How do the wings look like Meta Ridley's again...? The wings in the direct are slightly purple (not pure orange) and are not translucent like Meta Ridley's wings. :ohwell:

EDIT: It's his tail, but the colors still don't match up anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Arena Ferox means nothing special to Marth and Ike, so it must either be the stage of Chrom or the Avatar. Though I'm leaning toward Robin, as I don't really want another blue-haired swordsman.
I like you.

Though in regards to the last point you made about new franchises without any hints, I think something that needs to be considered is how they could actually be hinted at. If you look at the other characters you listed, those characters were teased and hinted at, but those hints and teases were never exactly huge, obvious hints. For example, the Mario Galaxy and Lumiose City stages, while hints towards Rosalina and Greninja, respectively, weren't blatantly obvious hints towards their inclusion, as the stages themselves were pretty logical and expected choices. Similarly, Ridley's teasing looks like (and may actually be) a de-confirmation; if Ridley ends up being confirmed, it would be clear that he was being hinted at all this time, but it wasn't to the point where his inclusion was guaranteed. Far from it. Now, in regards to series like Xenoblade, let's say that in a random pic of the day, they revealed a Xenoblade stage. I would imagine that most people would interpret that as an obvious clue that Shulk was going to be a playable character. After all, why bother adding in Xenoblade content like that without the main character? In a case like that, I think the hint would be too obvious. The closest thing we've had to a situation like that is with Little Mac and the Boxing Ring, and look what they did there: they completely re-skinned the stage to hide the fact that it was a Punch Out stage. If they hadn't done that, Little Mac's inclusion would almost be completely given away by such an obvious hint.

So basically, I think the reason why certain series with potential characters haven't been teased yet, like Xenoblade or Golden Sun, is because, frankly, any teasing regarding those characters would be too obvious. Well, there's also the fact that a lot of those series are not going to get playable characters, and thus won't be teased at all, but since there are certain series (Xenoblade) that seem very likely to get a character at this point, I think the reason for a lack of teasing would be because any teasing at all would just give away the surprise.

D

Deleted member

Actually, the ones with outlines are part of his moveset, the Ghosts and Galaga ships without them are from the Special flag

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Actually, the ones with outlines are part of his moveset, the Ghosts and Galaga ships without them are from the Special flag
Well, in Pac-Man's reveal trailer, there's a scene where Pac-Man is emitting waves from his hands that match up with the waves that the Galaga ship next to him is using to abduct the Villager. So I think it's reasonable to assume that Pac-Man is controlling it.

D

Deleted member

Well, in Pac-Man's reveal trailer, there's a scene where Pac-Man is emitting waves from his hands that match up with the waves that the Galaga ship next to him is using to abduct the Villager. So I think it's reasonable to assume that Pac-Man is controlling it.
No, the tractor he uses is probably his grab, if you look at the ghosts used in his Smash attacks, they have outlines, the ones that appear in one of the scenes in Wily's castle don't

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I like you.

So basically, I think the reason why certain series with potential characters haven't been teased yet, like Xenoblade or Golden Sun, is because, frankly, any teasing regarding those characters would be too obvious. Well, there's also the fact that a lot of those series are not going to get playable characters, and thus won't be teased at all, but since there are certain series (Xenoblade) that seem very likely to get a character at this point, I think the reason for a lack of teasing would be because any teasing at all would just give away the surprise.
Exactly, that's why I said it was pretty useless in regards to new franchises. There really is no real way to tease or foreshadow a character of a brand-new franchise without really giving it away.

I mean, yeah, there are those Rhythm Heaven ghosts, but does that mean there's going to be a Pilotwings representative fighter?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
We honestly have no idea about the Galaga ships. For all we know Pac only has a move that's an homage to it while they're independantly summoned from the Special Flag/AT too. It was definitely heavy foreshadowing towards Pac-Man though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom