• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Because Ganondorf being a clone of Cpt. Falcon and all other clones in history are entirely original and in no way shape or form are non-original.

But in seriousness, Ridley not being in because of an 'unoriginal' move set is complete gutter trash. If he's in the game, he'll be unique.
(You put your message in the quote.)
That's a different case. The Melee clones were worth their weight in dirt, and was acknowledged as such with most being cut and the rest altered. Mishmashing parts like this would require about as much effort as making a whole new character and won't happen. You say that if he's in, he'll be unique. I'm in agreement, and that's my point. Haven't seen a unique thing yet.

Okay, well then name another character on the Smash Roster who simultaneously has the capability to:
a) Breathe Fire/Plasma
b) Impale/do damage with a spiked tail in forms including but not limited to tail grinding on land forms and a Tail Jackhammer/Pogo.
c) Fly or have multiple jumps and a strong air game.
d)Grab and grind foes into floors and walls or literally carry them off into the air.

My guess is that you can't, because one doesn't exist yet, but if Ridley makes the roster, he can bring all of these things to the table at once, which I would consider more than enough of a "unique" addition to the Smash 4 roster.

Do characters exist that can do one or maybe too of the things listed above? Sure, but they can't do all of them at once, so my point from before still stands. :glare:
Why should we bother with characters that can't do a single unique thing, if we can't make him a clone? Just look at the roster, all the newcomers have up-front gimmicks.
Megaman has a mostly projectile-based moveset.
Villager has his pockets and an odd mix of physical and weapon attacks.
And WFT has the longest reach of a human character without a weapon, and many attacks have two hitboxes effectively giving her many more moves at her disposal.

The way you wrote this quote made it clear that you couldn't come up with anything else other than "his tail".

I'm not sure if you're actually being serious here.
Again, it's almost always the first thing brought up.

Is this conversation real? What is this. This isn't Ridley, stop it.
This is the Ridley discussion thread, is it not? Should I take this over to the stage discussion instead?

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
(You put your message in the quote.)
That's a different case. The Melee clones were worth their weight in dirt, and was acknowledged as such with most being cut and the rest altered. Mishmashing parts like this would require about as much effort as making a whole new character and won't happen. You say that if he's in, he'll be unique. I'm in agreement, and that's my point. Haven't seen a unique thing yet.
No idea why my message was in quote, I must be slipping.

Anyways, yeah, you have a point, but our feeble non-developer minds are unable to comprehend what it means to truly make a unique character. Hell, I could barely think of a unique moveset for Ridley if I tried.

However, if Ridley does amount to simply flying, shooting projectiles, and stabbing things, I'll be satisfied because it's freaking Ridley.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
This is the Ridley discussion thread, is it not? Should I take this over to the stage discussion instead?
Typically the "character discussion threads" are actually support threads, and I'm not detecting a lot of support from your posts.:glare:

Well, tomorrow is Judgment Day.

I hope we all are happy with the outcome.

See you guys tomorrow, where Ridley's fate will be closely monitored by the mods. :awesome:

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
I'm going to bed, what time is the live stream for Nintendo?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Why should we bother with characters that can't do a single unique thing, if we can't make him a clone? Just look at the roster, all the newcomers have up-front gimmicks.
Megaman has a mostly projectile-based moveset.
Villager has his pockets and an odd mix of physical and weapon attacks.
And WFT has the longest reach of a human character without a weapon, and many attacks have two hitboxes effectively giving her many more moves at her disposal.
What about Greninja, then? It offers nothing much to the table (Water Shuriken? Another Shadow Ball variant. Shadow Sneak? Sounds similar to Fox Illusion in function. Water Jet? Quick Attack ripoff, apparently. Substitute? Well, I can't say much about it, but still). However, it still manages to be unique because the combination of these moves make up for a new playstyle, being notably different from other characters that fit that same fighting archetype.

The same goes for Ridley; with great maneuverability in the air, he can use his projectiles to bombard the battlefield with his projectile fireballs, and catch any foe in midair very easily, as well as sending them into the air with a tail attack to perform combos.

No matter if a character has similar moves with another, even the smallest change can make it's gameplay unique. Take Roy in Melee, for example. His moves are basically the same as Marth, but he's got one key difference: da ph41r3 the sweetspot on his sword. While Marth deals more damage with the tip of his blade, allowing him to strike down an opponent while keeping a safe distance, Roy deals more damage with the hilt of his blade, forcing him to get very close to be more effective in a hi risk hi reward fashion.

You see how one small change can change a character entirely? So even if Ridley ends up getting moves from other characters, his playstyle will likely be unique regardless, and that's what matter the most.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

*sigh* Miiverse Admins have no sense of humor.

I post this and they gun it down..."Inappropiate/Harmful Content" really?:glare:

I'm sure you can tell what Ridley says :p

Last edited:

flamesaber111

Smash Rookie
Hmm... Maybe you could always not attack Ridley, and (assuming you're playing online or against someone) use him to cheapshot your opponent while they're busy with Rids.

That's what I might do should I not choose to disconnect on non-FD Pyrosphere matches.. One could say it's low, but I'd rather do that than make a pinata out of one of my favorite/most supported characters till SSB6.
Do you mean 5? Because the Wii U version isn't the 5th game.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Doing a single unique thing is irrelevant. What matters is being able to utilize what you can do in a unique combination. And Ridley can certainly do that. I have no idea why you keep this up.

Anyway, I doubt I'll be here tomorrow unless we see a Ridley confirmation, in which case it'll be a quick 'congratulations'. I'll be watching E3 and The Last of Us with friends all day. ;D

EDIT: Also, for those who still aren't 100% sure, like CamZilla94:

Nintendo's E3 shenanigans begin at 9am Pacific time. That's 10am Mountain Time, 11am Central Time, and 12 noon Eastern Time.

The SSB4 tournament begins at 4pm PT, 5pm MT, 6pm CT, and 7pm ET.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
According to SSBwiki's countdown, 12 hours and 15 minutes.
I'm no good with timezones.

Edit: Ninja'd by the next page. Anyway, I guess I'll be leaving now since the conversation has mostly died down and there's people who want me gone.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I may hit the hay sometime too.

But considering everything, I'm going to be astounded, shocked, amazed, if they actually follow through and make Ridley a boss.

But I have some faith in Sakurai, so I imagine that the rest of the world will be absolutely shocked, SHOCKED, that Ridley is, gasp, not a boss.

I believe I have seen through Sakurai's machinations, so all I care for now is whether Ridley was worth the wait.

Last edited:

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
Double Posting Warning Received
Every time I hear about a character with wings and great recovery I get nervous. Melee was fairly well balanced, but because of brawl Meta Knight went from my favourite character in the Kirby series to one of my most hated characters of all times. He most likely will find redemption for me in the next smash game, but I'd hate to see Ridley become the new Meta Brawl

Alright guys, here's a deal, the same deal I made at last year's E3...

If Ridley is confirmed as a playable character at E3, I will shave my head!!!

Here's a pic of me from a few seconds ago for reference...

That's a lot of hair to shave

(again)

I will post pictures to confirm it. ;)
For some reason I misread "I will shave my beard" and gave you my like thinking it was some kind of satyrical joke or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Every time I hear about a character with wings and great recovery I get nervous. Melee was fairly well balanced, but because of brawl Meta Knight went from my favourite character in the Kirby series to one of my most hated characters of all times. He most likely will find redemption for me in the next smash game, but I'd hate to see Ridley become the new Meta Brawl
The problem with Metaknight is he's insanely fast and has incredible recovery. Ridley needs to be well-balanced, but he's definitely an aerial fighter. Keep in mind that Ridley would be quite slow moving normally. He probably wouldn't have additional recovery options either, and his attacks, though quite powerful, would be slow for the most part.

Metaknight was just TOO FAST. He definitely needs less air time.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
The fact that they haven't revealed Meta Knight yet implies that he's being balanced. (Dunno about Wario)

And don't worry about Ridley being broken. Very few characters are broken/high-tier/whatever AND have a large hitbox.

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
I do not know if this has been brought up before( probably has) but didn't Sakurai say that if Ridley was in as a playable character he would be really slow? That would correspond to the shadow footage seeing as how he is very slow there but in Brawl he flies across his arena fairly quickly. Just something I thought I would share.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Somehow, I doubt you've completed the campaign.

Anyway, we have tons of projectiles and Ridley hasn't used any unique ones. I can understand if a character we haven't seen much of gets more abstract gimmicks, but somebody as well-understood as Ridley should get his central gimmicks based off of the games.

How's about you know who you're talking to before you berate them? I've beaten every Metroid twice, and that bottom one well over twenty times.

Fireballs? Ridley: Lookatme! I'm shooting in a game where half the roster can shoot! I'm so unique!

I'm surprised you didn't bring up something more unique. What I'm thinking of has still been done in SSB, though.

Shooting at a downward angle? Megaman, Pit, Mario, Ness, Lucas... Yaknow.

An aerial grab? Diddy, Bowser, Gannondorf, Kirby, DDD, and Wario. Let's be honest here, it's only use would be for SDs. Why bother with a grab and throw in the air when there's no shield to grab through?

A downward attack with long reach? Megaman and most sword users.

Flight? Assuming you didn't just C/P Charizard's ^B, this would be exactly like Pit and Villager's.
Little Mac only punches. Wii Fit Trainer only stretches.

Blandest. Characters. Ever.

Because logic!

The only thing that limits a potential moveset is lack of imagination, or lack of time to make one.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Ridley would be big and probably relatively light (for a heavyweight), so he would be lucky to be mid-tier. No matter how broken his attacks were, getting easily smacked offscreen won't get you too far.

Last edited:

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Welp, since it's about 12 am EST, I guess this is kinda true:

Dawn of the Final Day: Twelve Hours, More or Less, Remain.

It's been a great ride. I have a confession to make: when I first joined this thread I was neutral at best about Ridley's chances, but, not due to the evidence, though that certainly helped, but because of the sheer devotion some of the supporters here have made me a supporter. Thank you all.

By the way, would anyone mind PMing me about what page the whole madness in the thread (the point where the Direct begins airing) begins? I want to read it from the beginning, but won't be able to do so until after watching the Direct post-stream. I have a college class when the direct airs and I don't wish to spoil myself before actually watching the Direct, plus then I can see how everyone else reacted and be able to relate to it.

In any event, this will be my last post before, well, y'know. I look forward to what the future holds for this thread.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Doing a single unique thing is irrelevant. What matters is being able to utilize what you can do in a unique combination. And Ridley can certainly do that. I have no idea why you keep this up.

Anyway, I doubt I'll be here tomorrow unless we see a Ridley confirmation, in which case it'll be a quick 'congratulations'. I'll be watching E3 and The Last of Us with friends all day. ;D

EDIT: Also, for those who still aren't 100% sure, like CamZilla94:

Nintendo's E3 shenanigans begin at 9am Pacific time. That's 10am Mountain Time, 11am Central Time, and 12 noon Eastern Time.

The SSB4 tournament begins at 4pm PT, 5pm MT, 6pm CT, and 7pm ET.
Oh god dammit, then it'll start by the time I wake up.

And there's also school and stuff.

Anyway, I'm going to sleep.

aanxley.png

If anxiety lets me, that is.

Meandpikachu

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
TOMORROW IS E3 SSB4 DIRECT!!!!!!!!!!! I WILL CHEERS FOR RIDLEY THAT HE IS COMING!!!!!

RIDLEY!!! RIDLEY!! RIDLEY!! RIDLEY RIDLEY!!!

Oh god dammit, then it'll start by the time I wake up.

And there's also school and stuff.

Anyway, I'm going to sleep.

View attachment 15835

If anxiety lets me, that is.
Me to, I can't wait for him so we hope Ridley will come tomorrow but No Anthony higgs!!!
Ridley is awesome

Last edited by a moderator:

Morbi

Scavenger
This will more likely than not be my final post before the event; I am not going to make an inspirational speech, I feel as though I have done enough of that. Instead, I will be concise. I entirely expect Ridely to be revealed at the event; tomorrow, I will discuss this with everyone here and hopefully some new-found supporters. See you guys, later. Once I return, we will be here, complaining about how we were too negative prior to his reveal, asserting that we should have had more faith. Who needs faith when you have logic? I am speaking in an absolute, Tuesday is going to be a day to remember for all of the right reasons.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Twas' the Night before Nintendo

And all through the house

Not a creature was stirring...

Oh. What's that noice?

AHHH OH MY GOSH THE HOUSE WAS TORN IN HALF

WHAT IS THAT BIG PURPLE KILLER

HES SO HUGE AHHHHHH

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Just to clarify, Nintendo's E3 event is only tomorrow, right? Because I would imagine that Sakurai would save Ridley for the last few moments.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I think it's only tomorrow, aside from the TreeHouse stuff, if it's a 'is Nintendo doing anything else this week' question.

Anyway, I'm out for the night. Good luck, guys! Let's hope everyone's characters get confirmed!

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
If we get Ridley, Black Shadow and King K.Roll I'll be happy even if there are no other newcommers. Or anything else that breathes evil will make me happy.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
ONE MORE NIGHT. THEN WE FEAST...or maybe not. BUT NEVER GIVE UP HOPE LOYAL MINIONS.

YOUR SPACE PIRATE COMMANDER NEEDS YOU NOW MORE THAN EVER.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'd love a big villain trailer showing off all or most of the villains in the game, but I kinda doubt it at this point. We'll see how things go, though.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

[/quote]
Nice moveset...but I would rather have the Tail Spear as an aerial down Smash (Meteor Smash if hit at the tail tip)

Instead, the Down Special could be Ridley charging up the "Protective Aura" from Other M.

Many people keep saying that since Ridley is at a disadvantage from projectiles due to his size....so why not add a Defensive move like the Protective Aura?

How it works: Hold Down Special to charge up the Aura....At full power, the aura can last up to 10~15 seconds.

While the Aura is in-effect, the following changes occur in Ridley:
1) Franklin Badge effect: All projectiles are deflected
2) Ridley's SPECIAL attacks and movement speed get a boost

The Protective Aura charging may be similar to Wii Fit Trainer's Deep Breathing...Be careful not to overcharge or the Aura will fail.

This Aura buff may sound broken...but hey, check out Rosalina's Down Special. THAT IS BROKEN!
Adam is not around to authorize Samus to use Super Missiles :p

Waluridleykryrool

Smash Journeyman
This is it people, all the controversy, all the debate, one way or the other in just a few hours it all comes to an end. Good luck to both ridley and his fans.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I can't help but think that this thread will reach a thousand pages within a week.

It's hard to imagine that so much can happen within one hour, yes?

Grimnir

Smash Apprentice
If he's playable, I'll have my apology ready for doubting.

If he's not, then I want an apology for getting my hopes up again.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If Ridley is really disconfirmed at or after E3, this thread will explode.
If he isn't shown at E3, this thread will explode more.

And if he is revealed...well, I think it will just literally explode.

Top Bottom