• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'm mostly insulted by the idea that I will be forced to bash the hell out of the character I wanted in the game the most, was teased at by Sakurai, and then ultimately didn't get. Because hey, if Ridley is as non-threatening as Yellow Devil looks, I'll be spending the next 5-6 years killing Ridley over and over.

Thanks, Sakurai.
Hmm... Maybe you could always not attack Ridley, and (assuming you're playing online or against someone) use him to cheapshot your opponent while they're busy with Rids.

That's what I might do should I not choose to disconnect on non-FD Pyrosphere matches.. One could say it's low, but I'd rather do that than make a pinata out of one of my favorite/most supported characters till SSB6.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
This inspired me to make this for some reason.
Wow, thanks. You've inspired me to do something Metroid-related tomorrow, regardless of the outcome. :laugh:

I think I'll post a sketch of Ridley the night before E3.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I want to point that the ridley tail bone having a different color argument doesn't stand any ground, colors and textures can be (and in the case of colors are always) influenced by the surrounding lighting, redder lighting? redder tailbone.

and since everyone is doing it and i wanna be popular, my most wanted newcomers with a chance are Ridley and Robin, and mewtwo, but he isnt a newcomer...

my most wanted veteran with a little chance of being cut is snake (captain falcon and ganondorf wont be cut anytime soon)
And my most wanted newcomers with near to 0 chances prize goes to....

Simon ****ing Belmont complete with Castlevania stage, music, items and trophies :D

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Nah, it's mostly due to Andrea's drawings.
xD he's not the only one who had said that, but yeah, I think is mostly to my drawings of Roidley with oblivious mind and sad face on him most of the time...but that's my version of him...a comedic relief to relief my own stress againts him.

O__O if I hadn't come up with the idea.....it would be still a bloody massacre like before....

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
More people and their "What would Ridley even do in his moveset" shenanigans. We're talking about a guy who made THE most memetastic moveset in Smash Bros. history out of an NES mugshot, a N64 mugshot, and a blue future vehicle.

:p Hopefully Ridley is confirmed at E3. I'm feeling the hope.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
More people and their "What would Ridley even do in his moveset" shenanigans. We're talking about a guy who made THE most memetastic moveset in Smash Bros. history out of an NES mugshot, a N64 mugshot, and a blue future vehicle.

You mean hype. Hope fits too...

HYPEHOPEHYPEHOPEHYPEHOPEHYPEHOPEHYPEHOPEHYPEHOPEHYPEHOPE-- *server crashes*

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

Would you want to play as Ridley if he beat people with a rubber chicken? See, C. Falcon gets excused because of SSB64's circumstances and the fact that SSB introduced him to most. People would probably want something Batman-y if he was to be a new addition instead of the ham-tastic man we have now.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Would you want to play as Ridley if he beat people with a rubber chicken? See, C. Falcon gets excused because of SSB64's circumstances and the fact that SSB introduced him to most. People would probably want something Batman-y if he was to be a new addition instead of the ham-tastic man we have now.
But he was absurdly ham-tastic in F-Zero GX, I have no idea what you're talking about. :p

Scratch that, F-Zero GX was ham-tastic. F-Zero is a giant ham.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
What he meant to say was that if Sakurai was able to make a moveset out Captain Falcon of all characters, any character with actual moveset potential, like Ridley, wouldn't be so hard to make.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Oh, are we going over our most wanted newcomers? Quaint!

Well, I personally want Ridley as #1, and expect him to be there in some way, shape, or form, but I'd also squeal like an over bloated pig if K. Rool was there.

I also want Pacman to not be there(or Palutena, or Chrom, or Sal leak guy #3) to prove the Sal leak wrong...please...

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm at least hoping for Ridley, K. Rool, and Medusa with Kid Icarus getting the next Kirby treatment. Anything past that is a bonus. :p

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
For fun, I scaled Concept Artley with my smallest Ridley, using the tailbone for reference.
concept comparison copy.png

Admittedly a little troubling, but its concept art, I'm sure it's manageable.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Considering being 100% upright like in the posture is extremely against Ridley's natural posture, I doubt we would ever see that. It's like T-Pose Donkey Kong or something. It's really tall but it's not like this character is ever 100% upright.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
But he was absurdly ham-tastic in F-Zero GX, I have no idea what you're talking about. :p

Scratch that, F-Zero GX was ham-tastic. F-Zero is a giant ham.
...Did we even play the same game?

What he meant to say was that if Sakurai was able to make a moveset out Captain Falcon of all characters, any character with actual moveset potential, like Ridley, wouldn't be so hard to make.
Moveset potential? Like... What? His tail? What you use to attack means nothing, how the actual attack works does.

majora_787

Smash Hero
...Did we even play the same game?

Moveset potential? Like... What? His tail? What you use to attack means nothing, how the actual attack works does.
Apparently you didn't play F-Zero GX, no. You should try it. It's hard, but it's fun.

And Ridley is able to use numerous fire-based breath projectiles, his tail in numerous ways, claws, skin-hardening, and I'm not sure really if he has camouflaging or what that would be. But the point is that he has abilities which can be made into a moveset, unlike Captain Falcon did when he was successfully made into a character.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Yeah, his tail, because that's clearly the only thing he ever used in Metroid, literally the first thing that comes into mind when you think of Ridley.

Yup.

HINT: Do some research before berating a character's moveset potential, thank you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh don't worry, stick around for a few hours and I'll have an entire moveset with additional details that I've been tweaking posted.
Minimal moveset potential? I think not.

Last edited by a moderator:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Apparently you didn't play F-Zero GX, no. You should try it. It's hard, but it's fun.

And Ridley is able to use numerous fire-based breath projectiles, his tail in numerous ways, claws, skin-hardening, and I'm not sure really if he has camouflaging or what that would be. But the point is that he has abilities which can be made into a moveset, unlike Captain Falcon did when he was successfully made into a character.
Somehow, I doubt you've completed the campaign.

Anyway, we have tons of projectiles and Ridley hasn't used any unique ones. I can understand if a character we haven't seen much of gets more abstract gimmicks, but somebody as well-understood as Ridley should get his central gimmicks based off of the games.

Yeah, his tail, because that's clearly the only thing he ever used in Metroid, literally the first thing that comes into mind when you think of Ridley.

Yup.

HINT: Do some research before berating a character's moveset potential, thank you.
How's about you know who you're talking to before you berate them? I've beaten every Metroid twice, and that bottom one well over twenty times.

Fireballs? Ridley: Lookatme! I'm shooting in a game where half the roster can shoot! I'm so unique!

I'm surprised you didn't bring up something more unique. What I'm thinking of has still been done in SSB, though.

Shooting at a downward angle? Megaman, Pit, Mario, Ness, Lucas... Yaknow.

An aerial grab? Diddy, Bowser, Gannondorf, Kirby, DDD, and Wario. Let's be honest here, it's only use would be for SDs. Why bother with a grab and throw in the air when there's no shield to grab through?

A downward attack with long reach? Megaman and most sword users.

Flight? Assuming you didn't just C/P Charizard's ^B, this would be exactly like Pit and Villager's.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Just leaving this here.

Also, remember, mods will be watching this thread closely tomorrow. Do not do or say anything rash, no matter what happens, or there may be consequences to pay.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Anyway, we have tons of projectiles and Ridley hasn't used any unique ones. I can understand if a character we haven't seen much of gets more abstract gimmicks, but somebody as well-understood as Ridley should get his central gimmicks based off of the games.

How's about you know who you're talking to before you berate them? I've beaten every Metroid twice, and that bottom one well over twenty times.

Fireballs? Ridley: Lookatme! I'm shooting in a game where half the roster can shoot! I'm so unique!

I'm surprised you didn't bring up something more unique. What I'm thinking of has still been done in SSB, though.

An aerial grab? Diddy, Bowser, Gannondorf, Kirby, DDD, and Wario. Let's be honest here, it's only use would be for SDs. Why bother with a grab and throw in the air when there's no shield to grab through?

Flight? Assuming you didn't just C/P Charizard's ^B, this would be exactly like Pit and Villager's.
Geez, you're hard to please...

UltimateWario

Smash Master
So, like, is someone paying you to come be a dickhole on this thread, or...?

Who gives even a single **** what he plays like? He could literally be enemies with his **** and I wouldn't care. He's ****ing Ridley. He doesn't need a checklist of how he can be the next Rosalina. He attacks with his claws, plasma, and tail. End of story.

God ****ing damn. I don't think Ridley has a chance in the world, but come on. It's the Ridley thread. Let these people have their fun.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Your incredibly vague criticisms of move characteristics that are common among most characters doesn't really help your case. By your logic, new fighters wouldn't be implemented into games like Street Fighter or Tekken simply because like almost all of the other characters, they throw a punch at torso level in front of them. :glare:

In a fighting game with over 30 characters already confirmed, how can you possibly realistically expect any new characters to share NO characteristics with characters already confirmed whatsoever?

It seems to me your argument is based on Ridley flawed logic.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Also, remember, mods will be watching this thread closely tomorrow. Do not do or say anything rash, no matter what happens, or there may be consequences to pay.
Pfft. Everyone knows mods don't exist. They're figments of our imagination.. our conscience, if you will.

Ragingtsunami726

Smash Cadet
Just leaving this here.

If Ridley gets announced as playable, you're going to need to watch a looooooot more than this thread.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

So you played every game to completion. Ergo, you fought Ridley in all of his forms and seen all of his attacks. How the heck did you come with the initial conclusion that he only ever used his freaking tail?

Anyway, he can shoot fireballs, he can bounce around with his tail like a pogo stick, he can grab in midair and he can fly almost freely in the air. That is a pretty solid movepool right there.

D

Deleted member

Just leaving this here.

-sigh-
I really should make another vid. Still need to do that singing one Swamp suggested.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
The newcomers I want beside Ridley is King K Rool and Takumaru. If they were in I would be extremely happy, I would have everyone I wanted. Man this day is going by kinda fast but then again Zero Mission, I'am on the Zero suit phase.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Just leaving this here.

Oh lawdy massa we's be good I promise massa.

This thread is going to be Thermopylae tomorrow, with the mods being the Greeks and the legions of, well... everyone else being the Persians. You and Swampasaur are in for a hell of a day.

Then again I hope you'll be too busy partying in your thread.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Geez, you're hard to please...
So he just rises up then rushes forward, or am I missing something?

Your incredibly vague criticisms of move characteristics that are common among most characters doesn't really help your case. By your logic, new fighters wouldn't be implemented into games like Street Fighter or Tekken simply because like almost all of the other characters, they throw a punch at torso level in front of them. :glare:

In a fighting game with over 30 characters already confirmed, how can you possibly realistically expect any new characters to share NO characteristics with characters already confirmed whatsoever?

It seems to me your argument is based on Ridley flawed logic.
SF and Tekken have lower standards of uniqueness then Smash. Honestly, would SSB be as popular if it was all just fisticuffs instead of unique movesets? And I'm not saying every character should be completely unique, but every character should have something significantly unique to it, be it playstyle or gimmicks.

So you played every game to completion. Ergo, you fought Ridley in all of his forms and seen all of his attacks. How the heck did you come with the initial conclusion that he only ever used his freaking tail?

Anyway, he can shoot fireballs, he can bounce around with his tail like a pogo stick, he can grab in midair and he can fly almost freely in the air. That is a pretty solid movepool right there.
Never said he only used his tail, you made that assumption yourself. That's just the very first thing Ridley supporters I've delt with bring up. The stuff you came up with is all things others can do, besides bouncing on his tail. But remember, the game has to be noob-proofed. Bouncing around on his tail would likely be 'overpowered,' considering most can barely dodge stone or escape Pit's Angel Ring.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
[Hype intensifies]

Honestly I don't care who we get. SSB4 will be a great game regardless of who is playable.
Well, I do care about who we get. And I don't think the game will be great regardless of who is in the roster. :3

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
SF and Tekken have lower standards of uniqueness then Smash. Honestly, would SSB be as popular if it was all just fisticuffs instead of unique movesets? And I'm not saying every character should be completely unique, but every character should have something significantly unique to it, be it playstyle or gimmicks....

Because Ganondorf being a clone of Cpt. Falcon and all other clones in history are entirely original and in no way shape or form are non-original.

But in seriousness, Ridley not being in because of an 'unoriginal' move set is complete gutter trash. If he's in the game, he'll be unique

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So he just rises up then rushes forward, or am I missing something?

SF and Tekken have lower standards of uniqueness then Smash. Honestly, would SSB be as popular if it was all just fisticuffs instead of unique movesets? And I'm not saying every character should be completely unique, but every character should have something significantly unique to it, be it playstyle or gimmicks.

Never said he only used his tail, you made that assumption yourself. That's just the very first thing Ridley supporters I've delt with bring up. The stuff you came up with is all things others can do, besides bouncing on his tail. But remember, the game has to be noob-proofed. Bouncing around on his tail would likely be 'overpowered,' considering most can barely dodge stone or escape Pit's Angel Ring.
Okay, well then name another character on the Smash Roster who simultaneously has the capability to:
a) Breathe Fire/Plasma
b) Impale/do damage with a spiked tail in forms including but not limited to tail grinding on land forms and a Tail Jackhammer/Pogo.
c) Fly or have multiple jumps and a strong air game.
d)Grab and grind foes into floors and walls or literally carry them off into the air.

My guess is that you can't, because one doesn't exist yet, but if Ridley makes the roster, he can bring all of these things to the table at once, which I would consider more than enough of a "unique" addition to the Smash 4 roster.

Do characters exist that can do one or maybe two of the things listed above? Sure, but they can't do all of them at once, so my point from before still stands. :glare:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Never said he only used his tail, you made that assumption yourself. That's just the very first thing Ridley supporters I've delt with bring up.
The way you wrote this quote made it clear that you couldn't come up with anything else other than "his tail".

I'm not sure if you're actually being serious here.

Top Bottom