• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I noticed something (and to change the subject) about Ridley and Pit. Besides the sister series connection, they are both the last of their kind. Ridley's species was wiped out in mass genocide and Pit is the only angel left in Palutena's army if you don't count his dark half (who is still technically him anyway) thanks to Medusa in the first game.

Just thought that was interesting.
Uh...Where did the whole "entire species wiped out in genocide" thing come from? I haven't read that in any scan entries or wikipedia articles...

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
While I kinda agree with this nothing if not a character sentiment, it is a bit pointless, as at this point, if there's anything we know about Ridley, I'm willing to bet he's either playable or a boss on the pyrosphere. Because that was definitely pyrosphere, and you don't hype assist trophies/pokeballs?!!? like that.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I personally want Ridley to have a bigger role than just being a trophy, but not if he's being reduced to a measly stage hazard, I'd never play Pyrosphere outside of the FD version out of pure spite. Him being a boss in Adventure Mode would be better than nothing, but not a buff pinata for players to bash on like the Yellow Devil, that's just not a role for Ridley to fill.
For me, I'm just not going to get the Wii U version if Ridley's just a boss hazard. I'm also secretly hoping that it underperforms compared to the 3DS version because of the huge release gap.

Yeah, this is really petty, I know.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
For me, I'm just not going to get the Wii U version if Ridley's just a boss hazard. I'm also secretly hoping that it underperforms compared to the 3DS version because of the huge release gap.

Yeah, this is really petty, I know.
I'm going to get it regardless honestly, I don't think I can get past my view that the 3DS version is going to be my demo version until I can get the Wii U version, which is equally as petty.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'm glad i have to go to college tomorrow so I don't have to be waiting around for hours waiting for the thing to start

Last edited:

Zuba Oki

Smash Apprentice
The Day of Reckoning is upon us fellow space pirates. Let us join in ceremonial song and dance for our awaited High Commander

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Man, something is telling Pac-Man will be the only newcomer tomorrow. I need to be wrong.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Man, something is telling Pac-Man will be the only newcomer tomorrow. I need to be wrong.
Nothing would make my day more than them showing the classic 2D pac-man as an assist trophy and saying something that completely de-confirms him as playable. Not out of hatred for pac-man specifically, but the sal leak in general. then ridley comes out and eats things.

Also, on the Ridley species thing, didn't he have that cousin who was a judge or something?

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
We're most likely going to get more than one, I can't really imagine us only getting something that amounts to a regular Nintendo Direct's announcement. I think Pac-Man is guaranteed tomorrow though, but I'm fairly certain he won't be the only one.

Reila

We're most likely going to get more than one, I can't really imagine us only getting something that amounts to a regular Nintendo Direct's announcement. I think Pac-Man is guaranteed tomorrow though, but I'm fairly certain he won't be the only one.
Maybe I am just too pessimist. We got three newcomers (one outside of the Direct) in the 2013 E3, so I have no reasons to believe we are getting only a random third party character this time, SPECIALLY considering the 3DS version will be released soon (if they don't delay it). Yet, I can't shake the feeling we will somehow be very disappointed tomorrow. Perhaps it is because I was expecting more interesting characters in the two past directs and then... we got Little Mac and Greninja -.- I mean, they are cool characters and I am very glad for Little Mac fans... but to me both past directs were a bit underwhelming (as far as newcomers are concerned). Oh well, it will all end in 22 (or 21) hours.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
You kid, but that could be a reasonable reason to not put Ridley in Smash.

And I agree. A Nintendo All-Star game should be composed 100% by Nintendo characters. But what can we do? Just accept Sonic, Mega Man, etc.
Sonic and Mega Man speak different volumes when it comes to Third Party characters. They're some of the very select few I would truly consider the honor of being allowed into the games along with Bomberman, Banjo Kazooie and Geno. People like Snake, PAC Man and Slime really shouldn't even be considered. Not they're bad or horrible characters but rather they don't even come close to representing Nintendo like the 5 do. (Geno is a stretch, he's a Mario franchise character stuck in Square hell.)

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Pac-man can get lost. I'd rather have bomberman/banjo/conker/bayonetta/anyone else

I'm really hoping for someone we didnt see in the leaks. Someone unexpected ---->THAT I LIKE<----.

Because if Ridley won't get confimed playable and all we're getting is some lame ass characters. I'm turning into a hater. The biggest hater ever.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Pac-man can get lost. I'd rather have bomberman/banjo/conker/bayonetta/anyone else

I'm really hoping for someone we didnt see in the leaks. Someone unexpected ---->THAT I LIKE<----.

Because if Ridley won't get confimed playable and all we're getting is some lame *** characters. I'm turning into a hater. The biggest hater ever.
If I were a writer this would be the backstory for my super villain

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Maybe I am just too pessimist. We got three newcomers (one outside of the Direct) in the 2013 E3, so I have no reasons to believe we are getting only a random third party character this time, SPECIALLY considering the 3DS version will be released soon (if they don't delay it). Yet, I can't shake the feeling we will somehow be very disappointed tomorrow. Perhaps it is because I was expecting more interesting characters in the two past directs and then... we got Little Mac and Greninja -.- I mean, they are cool characters and I am very glad for Little Mac fans... but to me both past directs were a bit underwhelming (as far as newcomers are concerned). Oh well, it will all end in 22 (or 21) hours.
Oh I'm keeping my expectations low regardless, I don't consider any newcomer but Mega Man and Little Mac to have been great picks thus far, so you can probably figure how I feel. I'm expecting more than just Pac though, but I'm not expecting anyone I care for to appear.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Well just watched Microsofts E3 it was decent.... Tbh the halo all in one (halo2 hd) was the best thing was really hoping for a Gears of War 4 trailer to blow my knickers off but nope....... (-_-)

Well Nintendo could easily snatch this E3 but yh..... I said the same thing last year....

Seriously taking into consideration the most obvious but also most likely

Just do

New Zelda U
New Metroid or Starfox
Mewtwo Returns

And just all that same FE X SMT/Yarn/ Monolift X/Bayo2

Basically fairly popular but already announced games and it will be better than last year's Imo.

And if they do one of these 3 curve balls aswell

Paper Mario U (like the N64/GC one plz)
Super Mario Galaxy 3 tease trailer
(Miyamoto been banging on about it it's more inevitable than Palutena in Smash.. Galaxy 1, 2 sold a **** tone and we clearly can never have enough Rosalina that cheap **** shoved down our throats..)

Even though Galaxy series sucker major **** obviously mildly ******** to not make a sequel to SM64 or Sunshine instead a bull* glorified Mario app bull*

BruV... Tbh I has no hope anything it's gonna be dry

Just do the above at minimum or its gonna be super dry... Like worse than last year's RealTalk...

I really really really doubt Ridley is playable that's like pipe dream stuff serious that's like....

Ah.... Not in the mood for this ****....... I'm gone

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
IMG_0785.PNG

WAITER, I might 'ave somting im... *hic* important tomorrow, sho... Sho I need to you... to *hic* come back to my place wid me, how... *hic* bout it?

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
a thousand times this

you guys gotta remember, these videos are for a huge audience, it's very hard to read Sakurai's intentions. Can't interpret everything he does as geared toward a Ridley fanbase.
This is the point that I was getting at. Look at the information presented in the Direct to the ENTIRE audience.

The average Smash fan and the casual player who has a passing interest in Smash fan will have seen that part of the Direct and say, "Oh, I guess Ridley's a boss" for the former or "Oh we have to fight that Metroid dragon" in case of the latter. The average Ridley fan said "GODDAMN IT, A BOSS AGAIN?!" (that would be me). The majority of people are in those three groups. It's only a dozen or so rabid Ridley fans who interpret that to mean the exact OPPOSITE, spend huge amounts of time comparing shadows of various character under the Winter solstice sun in the southern hemisphere, invent perpetually flying game mechanics, invent a Ridley and "bigger" Ridley boss scenario, etc.

I really don't think Ridley is playable. Our most reliable leaks either don't have him listed as a playable character or state that he is a boss. I enjoy speculation and trying to work things out, but just try to keep things in perspective. Try to enjoy everything else that we get at E3.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Nothing would make my day more than them showing the classic 2D pac-man as an assist trophy and saying something that completely de-confirms him as playable. Not out of hatred for pac-man specifically, but the sal leak in general. then ridley comes out and eats things.

Also, on the Ridley species thing, didn't he have that cousin who was a judge or something?
Well!

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I personally want Ridley to have a bigger role than just being a trophy, but not if he's being reduced to a measly stage hazard, I'd never play Pyrosphere outside of the FD version out of pure spite. Him being a boss in Adventure Mode would be better than nothing, but not a buff pinata for players to bash on like the Yellow Devil, that's just not a role for Ridley to fill.
Agreed. If I'm playing online and whoever's hosting picks the non-FD Pyrosphere, that may be a red flag for me and I might just disconnect automatically every time. No joke.

And Mii's and some veterans. THE HYPE IS REAL!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This is the point that I was getting at. Look at the information presented in the Direct to the ENTIRE audience.

The average Smash fan and the casual player who has a passing interest in Smash fan will have seen that part of the Direct and say, "Oh, I guess Ridley's a boss" for the former or "Oh we have to fight that Metroid dragon" in case of the latter. The average Ridley fan said "GODDAMN IT, A BOSS AGAIN?!" (that would be me). The majority of people are in those three groups. It's only a dozen or so rabid Ridley fans who interpret that to mean the exact OPPOSITE, spend huge amounts of time comparing shadows of various character under the Winter solstice sun in the southern hemisphere, invent perpetually flying game mechanics, invent a Ridley and "bigger" Ridley boss scenario, etc.

I really don't think Ridley is playable. Our most reliable leaks either don't have him listed as a playable character or state that he is a boss. Try to enjoy everything else that we get at E3.
I'm not a rabid Ridley fan and I never came to that conclusion.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure that even a casual Smash fan with passing familiarity with Metroid would be curious as to why Sakurai would hide a boss that was already a friggin boss in the previous game.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure that even a casual Smash fan with passing familiarity with Metroid would be curious as to why Sakurai would hide a boss that was already a friggin boss in the previous game.
I'm not sure casual fans would think that it needs to be read into that much.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I really don't think Ridley is playable. Our most reliable leaks either don't have him listed as a playable character or state that he is a boss. I enjoy speculation and trying to work things out, but just try to keep things in perspective. Try to enjoy everything else that we get at E3.
No reliable leak states he's a boss, the only reliable leak we actually have is Gematsu where he's absent from. Mind you I don't think he's playable either, just saying.

Whether I enjoy what they present at E3 or not depends entirely on what they present. I haven't been happy with quite a lot of choices Sakurai has made for this game, I'm not obliged to like whatever they show us, Ridley has no effect on any of that, whether he's confirmed or deconfirmed. If Pac-Man is shown I'm not going to be happy with it regardless, if K. Rool is shown I'm going to be happy regardless, if we get a new Metroid I'm going to be overly excited regardless.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'm not sure casual fans would think that it needs to be read into that much.
Casual doesn't mean "dumb", ya know. Ridley's already a boss. His battle, though cribbing a bit from Dyna Blade, was solid and without buildup. Any "casual" fan can just Youtube Brawl boss battles.

There is literally no reason to build up Ridley to be a copy/Paste of the Geothermal Power Plant stage from Dead/Alive.

Reila

What happened here? Seems like all optimism just vanished from this thread today. :ohwell:
I can't speak for everyone, but I am just afraid of being disappointed again. I can't help but feel pessimistic about Rids. :c

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Honestly I have like 6 or 7 characters I wouldn't mind getting revealed at e3. I'd also be fine with an off-the-wall character too, but I'm just keeping hope for multiple characters so that I'm not majorly depressed if 1 doesn't get in.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I can't speak for everyone, but I am just afraid of being disappointed again. I can't help but feel pessimistic about Rids. :c
This may sound harsh, but if he is revealed as unplayable tomorrow, you're going to be disappointed regardless of how you feel beforehand. Hope springs eternal and all that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom