• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Man, I searched Ridley on YouTube expecting him to be all over the top results, and the first one was for a brand of bikes of the same name. :glare:

Actually, Andrea should make a drawing of Ridley on a bike and Roidley following behind on a tricycle.
:awesome:
You can enjoy those meanwhile :

BoxedCookies

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5370-0875-8652
Does E3 start 5pm for those who live in the UK? Also does anyone know what time Smash Invitational begins for those who live in the UK? Many thanks.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Aw dangit, I'll probably miss it because of school. Man...
It's going to be going on all day. The SSB4 tournament starts at 4pm / 6pm / 7pm, and after all of that is SSB4 stuff if I recall. Though I would imagine newcomers would be revealed before that, OR after that by 1pm the next day.

D

Deleted member

What would be helpful is a 24 hour version of the song.
I looked for a 10 hour version (as I heard that was the max time limit for youtube videos) and planned to post it 10 hours from the Digital Event but I couldn't find one. :ohwell:

majora_787

Smash Hero
So Miiverse is still dumb by the way. Someone informed me that Pikachu's movement was not his "half walk" but was Pikachu "half running, half jumping".

... I don't think they have any idea what it was that I was saying at any point. :p

For those who don't know, Pikachu is really easy to determine speed of because he has really distinct movement animations. His slow walk, half walk, full walk, and full run are pretty easily distinguishable.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
You bring an interesting point. I have no idea what I will do with my life once this is over ;_;
obsess over the release date and pics of the day

don't forget, we might get uber trolled, and Ridley may not even be mentioned during the direct and no pyrosphere in te demo

majora_787

Smash Hero
obsess over the release date and pics of the day

don't forget, we might get uber trolled, and Ridley may not even be mentioned during the direct and no pyrosphere in te demo
I still think if Pyrosphere isn't in the demo, that's the most indirect and incriminating confirmation they could give.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Aw dangit, I'll probably miss it because of school. Man...
just grab your smartphone and hide under a stairwell/in the bathroom

I still think if Pyrosphere isn't in the demo, that's the most indirect and incriminating confirmation they could give.
or sakurai will randomly reveal him as a boss in a pic of the deal 2.5 weeks later

can't know 'till it's shown

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I really don't know why people are concerned about Sakurai delving into the deepest depths of insanity and bad decision making, but shrug.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
"Bad decision making" is a subjective concept. Perhaps to Sakurai putting Ridley in the game is bad decision making.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I really don't know why people are concerned about Sakurai delving into the deepest depths of insanity and bad decision making, but shrug.
Because leaving a line of hype open after E3 to string us along until the game releases isn't exactly a bad decision or crazy

Think about it. Say, idk, chrom/mewtwo/palutena get revealed at E3. imo the biggest hypedawg there is mewtwo, with some characters people thought were likely already, but still wanted (that is just for arguments sake, I don't even want palutena). That's a fairly big hypebomb. Putting another big hype character in that announcement would be wasteful.

plus, he already has the entire community hook line and sinker, after the last Nintendo direct. He can pull us in even more, and all he has to do, is nothing.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't know, I think it's safe to say getting everyone's hopes up, waiting until a major event, not doing anything at all, and then doing what they could have done from the beginning instead of getting peoples' hopes up and drop kicking them is not a good decision in any faculty. But you can say what you want.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
"Bad decision making" is a subjective concept. Perhaps to Sakurai putting Ridley in the game is bad decision making.
If you ask me, putting third-party characters in the roster was a terrible decision, but the rest of the fanbase will disagree with me on this.

But I get your point.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I don't know, I think it's safe to say getting everyone's hopes up, waiting until a major event, not doing anything at all, and then doing what they could have done from the beginning instead of getting peoples' hopes up and drop kicking them is not a good decision in any faculty. But you can say what you want.
The problem is you're making it too personal. I'm not saying Nintendo/Sakurai never makes bad decisions. I am saying they put a lot of thought over what goes into these presentations that the whole world watches, and I promise you, Sakurai doesn't make his decision in an attempt to drop kick you. You set your own expectations/hopes, Nintendo can only try to influence them.

If you ask me, putting third-party characters in the roster was a terrible decision, but the rest of the fanbase will disagree with me on this.

But I get your point.
you actually basically prove her point, xD

Cause Ridley is too BIG for Smash (;
fixed

Last edited:

Reila

Cause Ridley is too beastly for Smash (;
You kid, but that could be a reasonable reason to not put Ridley in Smash.

But I get your point.
And I agree. A Nintendo All-Star game should be composed 100% by Nintendo characters. But what can we do? Just accept Sonic, Mega Man, etc.

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
I never liked the idea of playable Ridley in the past ...
But those last months I have seen so much Ridley support, so much clues that he SHOULD and WILL probably (Troll Sakurai) be playable makes me wants to see him playable.
I'm actually turning into a Ridley Supporter, and E3 is in less than 48h, and I'm wayyy too hyped for this.
I will be really happy to see him, and seeing all the joy on internet (as if Dicaprio won the oscar, you know ...)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't think it was "bad decision making" to not put Ridley into Smash Bros., but to tease Ridley when Sakurai knows he's an extremely popular request and not outright confirm (like with everyone else) that said character isn't playable. THAT is a bad decision in my opinion. Putting Ridley in or not isn't, its the context of how he would tease Ridley this much without directly showing him off and outright disconfirming him like he does all the time with other characters.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
ehy guys I haven't been here for 23498349586305 pages :awesome:
btw it's time for ridleytalk !!!
I won't be able to watch the entire E3 but I found a way to watch the SSB trailer & invitation without any spoilers so I'm not going to ruin my surprise :chuckle:
Probably Tomorrow before the E3 I'm going to post something here ;)
I'm sure if Ridley's playable Masahiro will reveal him at E3
And I think we'll get 3 newcomers (Ridley, Mii and Pac-Man)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Lol, with my current sleep schedule I'm probably going to sleep through the entire presentation. I don't think we'll get Mii and I have high doubts about Pac-Man at this point, but we'll see. Agreed that if Ridley is in he'd be at E3.

Reila

I don't think it was "bad decision making" to not put Ridley into Smash Bros., but to tease Ridley when Sakurai knows he's an extremely popular request and not outright confirm (like with everyone else) that said character isn't playable. THAT is a bad decision in my opinion. Putting Ridley in or not isn't, its the context of how he would tease Ridley this much without directly showing him off and outright disconfirming him like he does all the time with other characters.
I agree, but maybe we're just reading too much and the "teasing" wasn't teasing at all.

By the way, we're less than one day away from the Direct. :3

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I agree, but maybe we're just reading too much and the "teasing" wasn't teasing at all.
a thousand times this

you guys gotta remember, these videos are for a huge audience, it's very hard to read Sakurai's intentions. Can't interpret everything he does as geared toward a Ridley fanbase.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
a thousand times this

you guys gotta remember, these videos are for a huge audience, it's very hard to read Sakurai's intentions. Can't interpret everything he does as geared toward a Ridley fanbase.
This is what I think as well. Smash Bros. has such a large audience that Ridley's fanbase couldn't be considered significant enough to specifically poke.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
But reading into things is fun...
Though yes, any Ridley connections after the Direct are likely purely coincidental. Why tease the dude when everyone thinks he's a boss?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Whatever the outcome, Sakurai must think we're all really excited to see Ridley in the game even if he isn't playable.

And I think we're all going to scream when we first see him in the stream.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Whatever the outcome, Sakurai must think we're all really excited to see Ridley in the game even if he isn't playable.

And I think we're all going to scream when we first see him in the stream.
I mean, that's going to happen boss or not, if I see him on the stream.

But reading into things is fun...
Though yes, any Ridley connections after the Direct are likely purely coincidental. Why tease the dude when everyone thinks he's a boss?
Oh, I'll totally keep reading into things too much. That's half the fun of speculation.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I noticed something (and to change the subject) about Ridley and Pit. Besides the sister series connection, they are both the last of their kind. Ridley's species was wiped out in mass genocide and Pit is the only angel left in Palutena's army if you don't count his dark half (who is still technically him anyway) thanks to Medusa in the first game.

Just thought that was interesting.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Maybe in fury.

Honestly, this may be a controversial statement, but I'd rather have no Ridley than Boss Ridley. Seeing a favorite character reduced to a slightly larger/more dangerous Shyguy from Yoshi's Island isn't exactly pleasing.
Controversial?

I'm with you 100%, and anyone who thinks otherwise should retract their opinion. The Ridley we got in Brawl was such a massive joke of a boss, that I greatly mourned the missed opportunity of him being an Assist Trophy.

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
I won't be able to watch the entire E3 but I found a way to watch the SSB trailer & invitation without any spoilers so I'm not going to ruin my surprise :chuckle:
How are you going to go about doing this? i might need to do the same, not sure how i'm going to go about it atm though

Reila

I agree with you guys. I'd rather not have Ridley in the game than have him as a goddamn boss again.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I don't want Ridley to be playable but I wish you guys luck for E3! Very dedicated Ridley fans here.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I really needa get off this thread between this and the E3 liveblogging my boss is totally gonna notice I'm not doing anything productive

oh well

#hypetrain2014

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Maybe in fury.

Honestly, this may be a controversial statement, but I'd rather have no Ridley than Boss Ridley. Seeing a favorite character reduced to a slightly larger/more dangerous Shyguy from Yoshi's Island isn't exactly pleasing.
I personally want Ridley to have a bigger role than just being a trophy, but not if he's being reduced to a measly stage hazard, I'd never play Pyrosphere outside of the FD version out of pure spite. Him being a boss in Adventure Mode would be better than nothing, but not a buff pinata for players to bash on like the Yellow Devil, that's just not a role for Ridley to fill.

Top Bottom