• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
Tons of stuff happened. We all uhh... actually yeah no, just usual stuff ridley.

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I'm neutral on Ridley myself, but I just wanted to wish the best of luck for everyone on this thread. If he is playable, this thread can rejoice in sheer elation! If not, he will be the best darn stage hazard the world will ever see! Tomorrow we will know what the outcome is...

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm neutral on Ridley myself, but I just wanted to wish the best of luck for everyone on this thread. If he is playable, this thread can rejoice in sheer elation! If not, he will be the best darn stage hazard the world will ever see! Tomorrow we will know what the outcome is...
Unfortunately that's been called into serious question lately, but we can hope. :p

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Ridley's reaction when he is announced, at 0:08

Yeeeaaaah!

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
That's more like an angry dying howl than a cry of success. That's more like his "disappointing hazard" noise I'd guess. :p

But we won't have to worry about that probably.

Reila

That is the closest to a word Ridley ever groaned in his whole video-game life, though. :laugh:

PokéMurio

Smash Apprentice
In fact, Bowser in the final battle of Sunshine was "Giant Bowser". In the scene where he talks to Jr. before credits he is A LOT smaller.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
A thought occurred to me:

I spend, like, 1/10th of my day here, lurking, making the occasional comment.

What will I do once Ridley is revealed?

I mean, I can move to the K. Rool thread and live there, but what do I do if he's revealed? It's anarchy!

majora_787

Smash Hero
Still, his voice was so cartoony it was absolutely ridiculous. And that's for BOWSER, one of the cartoony villains. :p

Reila

A thought occurred to me:

I spend, like, 1/10th of my day here, lurking, making the occasional comment.

What will I do once Ridley is revealed?

I mean, I can move to the K. Rool thread and live there, but what do I do if he's revealed? It's anarchy!
You bring an interesting point. I have no idea what I will do with my life once this is over ;_;

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I dunno, Kamek is one pretty tough stage hazard to beat!

majora_787

Smash Hero
Especially since Ridley is really not well designed for being a boss at the very least. xD He's not going to meet any standards if he gets deconfirmed unless he's completely different from what was shown in the direct.

Reila

The time is surely passing slowly today. :sadeyes: Guess I will watch Microsoft's conference in less than a hour, just to pass time.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
post: 16856677, member: 220254"]Well, I promised it yesterday but now it is time for my big speech of...

REALTALK!!!

So, first, why ridley was a boss in brawl? Why would we think he's playable if he was chosen to be a boss in a previous game?

I think SSE influenced his role like other things. The main reason I believe this is because he acts like dyna blade which means that it would respect the kirby theme adopted in SSE. But this is'n only him; there was other content that seems very questionable and it might be explained by the needs of the SSE to make sense. For exampe, why the only M&L music is a desert one and sounds pretty bland while I can pick a number of song JUST on superstar saga which is the

(stupid phone messed up quote.... Plz ignore this... Ugh...)

argue about starly but being shown as an assist while he said that assist = not implies a . The direct the same thing for A LOT of them: shown as assist without saying it but since you already told us, they aren't playable. even saud that he doesn't even like to give false hope

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/12/3...ling-twitter-whiners-and-oh-yes-the-new-smash
So, tell me, if he really wanted to deconfirm ridley, why the potd quote of August 20 2013 even exists at all? And why still keeping this speculation intensive situation ONLY for him? In fact, I can still prove that he can be an hazard (those are meaning for playable but the opposite exists) but what I just proved is that there was a PURPOSE behind this clip.

Now, I told some opinions here. But if you ignore them and only take the facts, you can't be sure and this remains a 50/50 between playable and hazard but this time, he was shown for a purpose which corresponds to one of the 2 fates. He could've have teased the fact that he's an hazard or, he could've hidden the fact that he's playable. Both already happened just look at how the SMG stage was teased or how the smash run was unveiled MUCH later than being showed without even knowing that it was smash run.

Now, let me talk about how the controversy shouldn't have reach this level. I said that the prior controversy made some people think of him showed to be big and suitable for an hazard. However, because he CAN be playable and that the odds of the opposite happening are 50%, this thread got into a lot of argument that were irrelevant in the first place. I tried to tell my opinion on him several time but it ended up of me having to remind the facts because supporters were called "in denial". If it is provable that the position I'm advocating has 50% of happening, how is this called "in denial"? To be in denial (which i would have assumed btw), I would have to see a SOLID evidence deconfirming him but as I told above, all we got are double meaning and ambiguous ones.

I already got an enjoyable argument about how Paper Mario, my most wanted, isn't unique as I argued. Here, since most of the facts have been used and taken into consideration (this include me doing lots of mistake and admitting them), what I got is an alternative way to see his situation which made me realize that not everyone HAS to consider him as unique. Overall, it was enjoyable but both of us had completely opinions that are against each other. It just have to do with how you debate and not turn the discussion into flaming.

Here, if I saw people calling the supporter "in denial" with a 50% chance of the opposite happening, I think there's a clear problem about how they consider the facts. What I won't deny is being doubtful I am because it's a 50/50 after all so I can understand people saying that they THINK he's not playable. But people that are sure is just contradicting the fact that it's not sure and the ambiguity itself can be proven with again facts. You can speculate however you want but I do not accept such terrible debate condition which is why I was holding this wall of text for so long: to reduce the backslash it would cause because we'll see in 2 days anyway. This btw explains why this post is long because I would've normally type this in multiple posts but I decided to let the time pass and the dust to vanish.

From now on, this will be speculation on those facts from me that is favourable to him being playable. I repeat this is INTERPRETATION of facts so I'm not stating facts.

I think that now, it is too late if he's an hazard. Nintendo released his E3 video at the beginning of May and now, we are 2 days before Nintendo's E3 event. Since this video was released, Nintendo began to hype their fans for E3 and there's LOTS of evidences here. For instance, they made an option on their E3 website to save the date of June 10 2014 on your calendar such as google calendar. Throughout the month, they released more and more info about their E3 as time pass and the video about the invitationnal was probably the most hyped of them ESPECIALLY the music chosen when they announced the Gamecube controller adapter (do I really need to explain it it sounds like they knew that this will get people hyped).

What does this all have to do with the ridley not being an hazard? Well, if I knew that I should get my customer hyped for a month, I would try as much to not disappoint them in this period. Any hype killer could be a bigger deal than it was in April so here's my question: As ridley is one of the most requested character for being playable in SSB4, why solidifying his 50/50 situation so much a month before the E3 hype?

The only way it would have made sense is Sakurai not being aware of his request which doesn't seem like it would make sense for me. There's so much evidences all pointing towards the behaviour of Sakurai to properly talk to his fan that ignoring him would be practically impossible or he deliberately ignored it or the most plausible would be that he's not playable and he knew about the request but couldn't do it. The problem with the latest one is that it would still not explain why you showed the shadow instead of his full model and clearly mentioning something like "FYI, ridley is an hazard that attacks the player" which would be so direct and uncountable that I would accept it.

As for deliberately ignoring it, it just doesn't make any sense considering he did acknowledge mega man and little mac (which is less requested in Japan so no favouritism there). Even the villager; on the developer direct, he said "At last, the long awaited villager" when he wanted to tell that he's a newcomer. If you acknowledged mega man, villager and little mac, you are blind to not have acknowledged ridley ESPECIALLY with how much controversy he had even before the first trailer.

And the April 8 direct oh there's so much I don't even know where to start so here's a list:
  • "Yes I'm still alive"
  • Both Iwata directly jokes
  • Showing Waluigi figurine when talking about assist trophies (a reference to how he was deconfirmed despite people trying hard lol)
  • The subsitute joke
  • The pseudo Palutena faking as Palutena
  • The ZSS being deconfirmed for 5 seconds (this is the most obvious one)
  • Showing figurine and objects of games (like showing a pokeball instead of just talking about them)
  • The little bye bye gesture at the end
Those behaviour point all towards the point of Sakurai caring a lot for his fans. There's even a more obvious statement about how he care for us:

Masahiro Sakurai, right after E3 2013
Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/44...director-masahiro-sakurai-character-selection

So, if he care for us and considering he's one of the most requested character, I don't think it's in his nature to completely ignore him (he didn't even ignored waluigi by saying that the supporter tried hard). What would make sense is that he would be deconfirming ridley BEFORE May which as of this post, it didn't happen and E3 is in 2 days and I'm myself very hyped and you should be too.

Let's put the pieces back together: he set the 50/50 on August 20 2013 but no clear purpose. Then, he solidified this situation even more by providing even more ambiguous evidences but this time, there's a purpose which is hiding his fate but the question about his fate remains. We are now with the same situation but now, we are 2 days before E3 and this means that for a character as requested as him, he would've been showed before May if he was an hazard to not disappoint the fans before E3. It didn't happen and since it's not in Sakurai's nature to give false hope and ignoring so much fan request. Since E3 seems the only appropriate place to generate such hype, I THINK that the most likely outcome possible based on my speculation is:

RIDLEY IS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER IN SUPER SMASH BROS 4 FOR WIIU AND 3DS AND IT WILL BE ANNOUNCED THIS E3!!!

And, that's it. I said everything I had to say. Remember I said that I THINK it's the most likely outcome. I didn't give any sense of being sure because I'm aren't. It's, for me, what would make the most sense. Feel free to like this post or doing a quick review HOWEVER I will not get into ANY argumentation towards criticism of this opinion simply because I said I didn't want to argue in those terrible debate conditions and if you want to argue with me, wait in 2 days ok?

So, I hope you like it and I wish you for every determined ridley supporter doubtful or not a great E3. LET'S HYPE
:colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful:[/quote]

So bea
So Bea

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
The only thing that can make me excited for Ridley at this point is if he's a damn good fighter. Everything else points to a blatant confirmation. If you're worried that I'm blinded by hype, the fact that Ridley was hyped alone seals the deal.

Reila

The only thing that can make me excited for Ridley at this point is if he's a damn good fighter. Everything else points to a blatant confirmation. If you're worried that I'm blinded by hype, the fact that Ridley was hyped alone seals the deal.
So you're 100% sure Ridley is playable?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
If I had a hat, I would eat it if I am wrong. The unbosslike behavior, size, hyping of a character that was already a boss has utterly convinced me that Ridley's a fighter. And I didn't believe for a moment that Ridley was playable in the Brawl speculation days.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I...don't know what I would do if Ridley is confirmed to be playable. If he is this E3, then I will probably go over to the K. Rool support thread and become a vocal supporter for him then, as he's my second most wanted newcomer.

But I'm expecting the worst out of tomorrow so I won't be crushed like last time.

Zulyar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4914-3978-9790
Especially since Ridley is really not well designed for being a boss at the very least. xD He's not going to meet any standards if he gets deconfirmed unless he's completely different from what was shown in the direct.
why is he disconfirmed just becouse of teh smash direct trailer, again if anything i only then started to believe ridley is in. and i still think he's in he's by far the most requested character so it'd be kinda nuts not to include him, also i think that you all think ridley is a boss becouse he floated in the air for a while, newsflash peach can do it, why can't ridley? that doesnt deconfirm him at all.

but thats what i think anyways.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I know I haven't been active here in like 4 months, but just dropping in to say that the battle might soon be over....and hopefully we will emerge victorious!!! Hang in there peeps. Less than a day remains..

majora_787

Smash Hero
why is he disconfirmed just becouse of teh smash direct trailer, again if anything i only then started to believe ridley is in. and i still think he's in he's by far the most requested character so it'd be kinda nuts not to include him, also i think that you all think ridley is a boss becouse he floated in the air for a while, newsflash peach can do it, why can't ridley? that doesnt deconfirm him at all.

but thats what i think anyways.
The issue is that WERE Ridley to be a boss, he's an exceedingly poorly designed one if he is ANYTHING like what we saw in the Direct. If Ridley is playable, which I think he is, then that's not an issue. But it's literally a toss-up between an interesting character and a bad boss. Some people seem perfectly okay with the latter over the former, which is bizarre.

EDIT: Here you go, guys. I found this and I thought we could enjoy this a bit to take the heat off Sakurai a bit. :p

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
While I'm confiedent that Ridley will be shown playable tomorrow (when exactly will E3 start?), I'm fairly concerned about the other end of the spectrum being a reality.

I'm eager, yet worried. The hype is so real.

majora_787

Smash Hero
E3 begins at 9am Pacific, which is 11am Central and 12 Noon Eastern.

But seriously guys Sakurai's just off playing Terraria, he's not even worried

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Just so you know, there are a lot of potential newcomers to show off at E3, so just because Ridley might not be shown then doesn't mean he's disconfirmed. This isn't like Pac-Man, who's chances literally hinge on tomorrow's event. Ridley could still be an unlockable character.

Remember to chin up, and to fight the fight until it's all over.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Just so you know, there are a lot of potential newcomers to show off at E3, so just because Ridley might not be shown then doesn't mean he's disconfirmed. This isn't like Pac-Man, who's chances at this point literally hinge on tomorrow's event. Ridley could still be an unlockable character.

Remember to chin up, and to fight the fight until it's all over.
Yes. Sakurai's talking about how he got Terraria, obviously we're getting a newcomer there. (I'm joking.)

But honestly I hope Sakurai doesn't try to drag this out ALL the way until the game's launch. :Y That'd be too much no matter what the outcome IMO.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Man, I searched Ridley on YouTube expecting him to be all over the top results, and the first one was for a brand of bikes of the same name. :glare:

Actually, Andrea should make a drawing of Ridley on a bike and Roidley following behind on a tricycle.
:awesome:

D

Deleted member

Welp, it's officially T-Minus 24 hours now before the Digital Stream begins and (hopefully) Ridley's fate is revealed.

My hype and anticipation levels are currently through the roof and I really don't think I'll be sleeping tonight. :laugh:

Also, I thought this would fit the occasion:

I just couldn't help myself to resist such a perfect opportunity to post this. :p

Seeing as how it's the Final Countdown to not only the Digital Event but also (hopefully) to Ridley's Fate for Smash 4.

Here's hoping I get to run around screaming and uproot the island counter in my kitchen when he gets revealed tomorrow. :awesome:

I'm too hyped for my health right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Man, I searched Ridley on YouTube expecting him to be all over the top results, and the first one was for a brand of bikes of the same name. :glare:

Actually, Andrea should make a drawing of Ridley on a bike and Roidley following behind on a tricycle.
OK! I will! just let me get out of school.... :(

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

That reminds that one moment in Pokemon R/S/E

"RYDEL RYDEL RYDEL RYDEL RYDEL RYDEL RYDEL RYDEL RYDEL RYDEL RYDEL RYDEL RYDEL RYDEL RYDEL"

Reila

I dunno, as I said earlier, if Ridley isn't shown tomorrow, I don't really think he is playable. But that is just me.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Welp, it's officially T-Minus 24 hours now before the Digital Stream begins and (hopefully) Ridley's fate is revealed.

My hype and anticipation levels are currently through the roof and I really don't think I'll be sleeping tonight. :laugh:

Also, I thought this would fit the occasion:

I just couldn't help myself to resist such a perfect opportunity to post this. :p

Seeing as how it's the Final Countdown to not only the Digital Event but also (hopefully) to Ridley's Fate for Smash 4.

Here's hoping I get to run around screaming and uproot the island counter in my kitchen when he gets revealed tomorrow. :awesome:

I'm too hyped for my health right now.
What would be helpful is a 24 hour version of the song.

BoxedCookies

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5370-0875-8652
There's a lot of evidence to suggest Ridley may be playable however like others on the thread, I will keep my expectations low in case of the worst case scenario. Either way though, thanks to this thread and everyone's thoughts and opinions, it has really got me wanting Ridley and it would be awesome to have Ridley as a playable character. Here comes tomorrow guys.

Last edited:
Top Bottom