• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I just want to clarify what I would think if Sakurai doesn't show him at E3.

Yes I will find his consistency a little doubtful here but I have a lot of examples for me that I'll still think he would be consistent enough. He did bring back smash run which is from city trial which wasn't popular but Sakurai's determination to bring it back was still there. I will say it again: I enjoy the the game for every content it has not just the characters as I treat the game itself as being the masterpiece of the masterpieces (I think it's the universal point of Nintendo's franchise).

You guys should be ready to accept both outcome because it just might not happen and I'm afraid that some people here won't be able to accept it. Please, consider both possibilities and take only what is confirmed as granted.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
You're in the nick of time. @ Smashoperatingbuddy123 Smashoperatingbuddy123 should be reposting his size charts any day now.

I should probably repost my tail analysis so that people can more easily accept why my Ridley scale is the way it is...
That will be tomorrow morning.

REPOSTS AHOY!

I might ask Smashoperatingbuddy to compile this with his shadow compilation.

Assuming the blob above is Pikachu, roughly six Ridley tails can fit inside Pikachu.
Therefore, Ridley's range of sizes are these, hardly boss-sized.

Ridley's largest size:

Ridley's smallest size:

Size comparison with Bigley and Smalley:
Are you asking if these are accurate?

Or do you want me too add it to my size comparison section?

Anyway if the second one i will most defiantly do that.

Morbi

Scavenger
I just want to clarify what I would think if Sakurai doesn't show him at E3.

Yes I will find his consistency a little doubtful here but I have a lot of examples for me that I'll still think he would be consistent enough. He did bring back smash run which is from city trial which wasn't popular but Sakurai's determination to bring it back was still there. I will say it again: I enjoy the the game for every content it has not just the characters as I treat the game itself as being the masterpiece of the masterpieces (I think it's the universal point of Nintendo's franchise).

You guys should be ready to accept both outcome because it just might not happen and I'm afraid that some people here won't be able to accept it. Please, consider both possibilities and take only what is confirmed as granted.
"Please, consider both possibilities," I do not think so. There is only one truth!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I don't trust Sakurai, to begin with, so if all the (supposedly) hinting and foreshadowing for playable Ridley is in vain, nothing will change in regards of my opinion about him. He is just a man working to pay his bills, he will do whatever he is told to do or thinks is better suited for Smash Bros (and any other game he worked in). In other words, he will put whatever character he thinks will appeal the most to people. If Ridley isn't in, it is because Sakurai, for whatever reason, thinks he is unappealing OR because he was told to not put Ridley in the game (I can't think of a few reasons for that). What I am trying to say is that I will not hate Sakurai or anything like that, if Ridley isn't in. I think it is a pointless and somewhat childish thing to do, when you consider the points I brought up. For example, I see a lot of people hating on Satoru Iwata, because it is been at least one millennium since the last F-Zero game was released, but most people don't seem to consider the possibility of Iwata not being the one to decide that (he is the president of Nintendo, but he doesn't get to decide everything in regards of the company). Plus, like Sakurai, he will do what is best for the company, their goal is to sell as many copies as possible of their games. Developing a new game for a niche series might not be the smartest idea, when you think about it. Perhaps putting a menacing and creepy-looking character like Ridley, in Smash Bros, isn't a great idea either. Lets hope this isn't case.
Regardless of F-Zero or whatever, I still think Iwata should be fired or at least demoted with the shape Nintendo is in now (doesn't mean I hate the guy) and that big N's staff should be influxed with some fresher blood that's more with the current times, but I guess that's another story.

From how it seemed right after yeah, but maybe not, i havent seen him around as much so i cant be sure.

But i think maybe i just saw his reactions directly after the direct which were"

"Da Nile is not just a river that flows through Africa, its also one that flows through this thread."

"I am not going to participate in the mental gymnastics olympics, and instead actually put forth something practical going forward. You guys can keep believing whatever you want until Sakurai finally gives you guys a full frontal assault of Stage Hazardley, but for the rest of us, we will get Ridley in Smash Bros."

----
Possibly venting like many were, maybe, but either way many lost hope after that. I dont blame them, but the circumstances surrounding this whole thing are what still give me hope, or at least the possibility of it.
Chrono tends to think being one of the earliest supporters gives him the right to talk down/**** to the rest of the fans. It's nothing new.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
That will be tomorrow morning.

Are you asking if these are accurate?

Or do you want me too add it to my size comparison section?

Anyway if the second one i will most defiantly do that.
Oh, definitely add em to your list.

Maybe check to see if my sizes match up to yours, I made them with the mindset of Boss Ridley in mind.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Regardless of F-Zero or whatever, I still think Iwata should be fired or at least demoted with the shape Nintendo is in now (doesn't mean I hate the guy) and that big N's staff should be influxed with some fresher blood that's more with the current times, but I guess that's another story.
Iwata isn't the problem, at least I don't think he is. The problem are the heads of Nintendo, a few 1000 years old mummies that refuse to step down from their position and let some younger people take control of the company. Though I don't think Iwata is the best person suited to be the president of Nintendo, he did save the company from sinking down completely with the Wii and the DS (although the DS was an idea of Yamauchi, if I recall correctly?).

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
It would be so dirty if they didn't announce him at E3 and kept him as a secret character so he is skill in the game but we don't know it.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Sweet thanks man. Not bad, fold the wings and slightly curl up his tail and he looks even smaller.
Fun fact, that's Ridley at his largest in the comparison shots. And the Ridley with tattered wings was made by @Angelglory back in the yonder days of speculation and scaling Ridley down to be potentially playable.

The fact that my largest possible size coincided with someone's attempt to make Ridley as small as possible has convinced me that Angelglory is a goddamn wizard.

Morbi

Scavenger
It would be so dirty if they didn't announce him at E3 and kept him as a secret character so he is skill in the game but we don't know it.
So dirty? That would EASILY become my favorite Smash Brothers memory. In fact, even if Ridley is deconfirmed, I am probably not going to lose hope and become delusional with the sentiment that he might still be playable.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Unless there were a different Ridley that was the boss hazard or an Alfonzo moment.
What's kinda sad is that I've basically shot myself in the foot.

After all the analyses I've done, I can't really duck behind the "Alfonzo" scenario due to the behavior and size of the shadow.

It's all or nothing at this point. Either Bossley or Playabley. No middle ground.

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
To be honest, it would feel really weird if Ridley got in but Mewtwo didn't. Vice Versa, not so much, but I feel like Mewtwo needs to be in if Ridley makes the cut.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
This reminds me; we gotta make sure we replace any "y" at the end of any word with "ley" for the rest of the E3 wait.

I seriosley think it's fitting, specialley since we alreadley name the multiple incarnations of Ridley (be it official or fanmade) as *word*ley (e.g. Roidley, Radley, Hazardley, etceteraley.). It'll be Ridley funley, I tell ya.

(I'm alreadley killing the joke, aren't I?)

Morbi

Scavenger
To be honest, it would feel really weird if Ridley got in but Mewtwo didn't. Vice Versa, not so much, but I feel like Mewtwo needs to be in if Ridley makes the cut.
I am not perceiving the correlation, albeit Mewtwo is essentially guaranteed. I am just not seeing the association, unless you are alluding to their affinity for purple.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I have a hunch that Ridley, Palutena, Mewtwo, and an Awakening rep are all but guaranteed to be in the game.

Not necessarily all of my faves, I'm still hoping for Porky, Pig Ganon, and K. Rool.

Khoru

Smash Champion
I am not perceiving the correlation, albeit Mewtwo is essentially guaranteed. I am just not seeing the association, unless you are alluding to their affinity for purple.
all purple characters confirmed

including dark daroach

majora_787

Smash Hero
I always find it bizarre when people say things that hinge on an insanely abnormal level of incompetence on Sakurai's part.

"Maybe if I show a character's shadow and literally do not acknowledge it in any way, people will take it as an explicit deconfirmation even though it's unlike literally every time I have deconfirmed a character from playability. Makes sense."

I mean unless the man has finally lost his mind from dealing with his fans, I doubt he would become that out of it. :p

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It wouldn't surprise me to find out that Sakurai is literally insane.

GraveJoker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GraveJoker
This reminds me; we gotta make sure we replace any "y" at the end of any word with "ley" for the rest of the E3 wait.

I seriosley think it's fitting, specialley since we alreadley name the multiple incarnations of Ridley (be it official or fanmade) as *word*ley (e.g. Roidley, Radley, Hazardley, etceteraley.). It'll be Ridley funley, I tell ya.

(I'm alreadley killing the joke, aren't I?)
You Ridley need to stop that.

majora_787

Smash Hero
My avatar is obviously my E3 preparation armor. Tomorrow is the last day to prepare emotionally for what is about to take place. Gird your loins and ready your bodies.

Zynux

Smash Lord
There was Metroid stage talk earlier, and I just want to add that I'm probably the only person who was upset with the Mother Brain assist trophy. Why? because I've been wanting a Tourian stage for the longest time. Don't think we'll get that now with Mother Brain an assist.:sadeyes:

Chrono tends to think being one of the earliest supporters gives him the right to talk down/**** to the rest of the fans. It's nothing new.
While it is indeed irksome and unacceptable behavior (and I will admit, I too was guilty of this in my first post after the direct), I find people talking down to them constantly behind their backs with "not true Ridley fans" or "jumped ship weaklings" or "their worse then detractors!" just as irksome. Too be fair, many here don't do it, but I see that mentality (which I personally find to be just as toxic) floating around here from time to time. Chrono certainly deserves criticism for the "denial" talk, but the constant belittling of people whom find his chances unlikely anymore isn't any better.

Iwata isn't the problem, at least I don't think he is. The problem are the heads of Nintendo, a few 1000 years old mummies that refuse to step down from their position and let some younger people take control of the company. Though I don't think Iwata is the best person suited to be the president of Nintendo, he did save the company from sinking down completely with the Wii and the DS (although the DS was an idea of Yamauchi, if I recall correctly?).
The problem indeed isn't Iwata, the unfortunate truth is that F-Zero not only doesn't sell well but was in a huge decline, especially with F-Zero GP Legend and Climax. I want a new F-Zero really badly, but I have a feeling we may not see one for a good long while.

------------------------------

Anyways, the problem with revealing Ridley as a Boss Hazard to me is not just the teasing, ambiguity, etc., but that he would clearly be a hypocrite, considering he had made it clear that he did not want to reuse ideas from other fighting games, yet Ridley attacking players on the Pyrosphere would be a reused idea from DOA: Dimensions. The fact that you may be able to fight back against Ridley is not adequate, imo.

majora_787

Smash Hero
So Sakurai would be giving us hope for something that isn't happening, ripping off another fighting game, and depriving us of a popular request and giving us a poorly designed stage instead.

Definitely more likely than playable Ridley, don't you know. (Not really, IMO)

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
There was Metroid stage talk earlier, and I just want to add that I'm probably the only person who was upset with the Mother Brain assist trophy. Why? because I've been wanting a Tourian stage for the longest time. Don't think we'll get that now with Mother Brain an assist.:sadeyes:

While it is indeed irksome and unacceptable behavior (and I will admit, I too was guilty of this in my first post after the direct), I find people talking down to them constantly behind their backs with "not true Ridley fans" or "jumped ship weaklings" or "their worse then detractors!" just as irksome. Too be fair, many here don't do it, but I see that mentality (which I personally find to be just as toxic) floating around here from time to time. Chrono certainly deserves criticism for the "denial" talk, but the constant belittling of people whom find his chances unlikely anymore isn't any better.

The problem indeed isn't Iwata, the unfortunate truth is that F-Zero not only doesn't sell well but was in a huge decline, especially with F-Zero GP Legend and Climax. I want a new F-Zero really badly, but I have a feeling we may not see one for a good long while.
I'm not quite sure who's to blame in the name-calling after the Direct, but I do get the feeling that the skeptics are trying too hard in attempting to kill off interest in Ridley. Yes, the backhanded insults from loyalists are unwarranted, but in the end they're just expressing their undying loyalty, unwavering passion, and almost always occasional desperation to the character they want most to be playable. Most, if not all of them, have already liked Ridley as a character even before getting into Smash Bros. Some of them even cite Ridley as the character who got them into the Metroid series itself.

I understand the legitimate concerns from those who doubt his chances now. Ridley is not a guaranteed character like some others, and to believe otherwise would be foolish. But it's childish to think we should all jump ship and sneer at the newcomer we all wanted so badly, just because of a simple shadow. People genuinely like Ridley, not just because it's cool to like purple space pirate dragons, but because of his constant, looming threat towards Samus and the Galaxy in Metroid, his memorable boss fights, and his classic theme. If we were dismiss him entirely just like that, we would be denying a cornerstone of Metroid's mythos from coming into fruition. People won't stop supporting Ridley until he's finally playable in a Super Smash Bros game, and Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS will not be his last stand. They will let their voices be heard, boss hazards be damned.

Nintendo knows about the importance of Metroid, and its characters in relation to other franchises, they know that it's not just another sci-fi action series with a woman as its protagonist. It is the late Gunpei Yokoi's greatest achievement in Nintendo's video game library, a milestone in its genre, and has been influential to future titles in the decades after the first game's release. They would be wise to not let it rot in the waste bin of forgotten franchises.

Anyways, the problem with revealing Ridley as a Boss Hazard to me is not just the teasing, ambiguity, etc., but that he would clearly be a hypocrite, considering he had made it clear that he did not want to reuse ideas from other fighting games, yet Ridley attacking players on the Pyrosphere would be a reused idea from DOA: Dimensions. The fact that you may be able to fight back against Ridley is not adequate, imo.
Yeah, that really bugs me. Why the hell would Sakurai do something that half-assed? To make Ridley into a boss hazard on Norfair or Pirate Homeworld is one thing, but to outright imitate someone else's idea regarding the Geothermal Power Plant is another thing entirely.

Last edited:
Top Bottom