• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
Hello Smash boards. I've been a long time follower of this thread but a first time poster. Just signed up so I can throw in my support for Ridley! This is going to be a great E3 guys I can feel it!

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Hello Smash boards. I've been a long time follower of this thread but a first time poster. Just signed up so I can throw in my support for Ridley! This is going to be a great E3 guys I can feel it!
Welcome to the brigade, rookie! It's always nice to have more recruits to the Space Pirate cause!

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
There are no words. What you just said is perfect. If Sakurai doesn't deliver with Ridley this E3, then we have all the right to distrust him from here on.
If Ridley is revealed to be a boss, wouldn't that mean that you SHOULD trust Sakurai because the things he implied are truth? You are believing that his implications are lies (or purposely misleading, at least) to begin with (why? I don't know).

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Thanks! I've been meaning to sign up for awhile and just got to it today. I've been away from the thread for a little while so is there anything I missed?
Well, depends wherever you left off. But considering the ever expanding nature of this thread, you probably missed a boatload of stuff.

Like insane amounts.

Like, it's almost as if it were TOO BIG for you to handle. /huehuehue

But regardless, hope you enjoy your stay.

Morbi

Scavenger
If Ridley is revealed to be a boss, wouldn't that mean that you SHOULD trust Sakurai because the things he implied are truth? You are believing that his implications are lies (or purposely misleading, at least) to begin with (why? I don't know).
Not purposely misleading, ambiguous. However; you are correct, technically Sakurai would be staying true to his word in the event that his implications actualize.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Thanks! I've been meaning to sign up for awhile and just got to it today. I've been away from the thread for a little while so is there anything I missed?
You're in the nick of time. @Smashoperatingbuddy123 should be reposting his size charts any day now.

I should probably repost my tail analysis so that people can more easily accept why my Ridley scale is the way it is...

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
What I'm saying is that people should think that Sakurai delivers to the fanbase. If he denies them the opportunity to play as Ridley, one of the most popular candidates for a newcomer, for this game after 15 years of waiting, then we should distrust his ability to appeal to us.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Okay.... so...

The last time I was in this thread it got ugly quick, so let me try and keep this civil.

From my standpoint, Sakurai seems like a jerk... although I have more colorful language for him. Let's say Ridley is playable... that means he cannot be trusted in any way, shape, or form. I think the joy of having Ridley in the game would blind fans to that, but it means everything he says is suspect and everything he says from now until the end of time will have fans torturing themselves. And let's say Ridley is NOT playable. Then Sakurai's words have actual value to them, but he's sadist who screws with fans for fun... and that whole "I don't like to cause drama" thing is a big lie. AND he doesn't care about what fans want; he cares about what Sakurai wants.

Either way, I'd be fine with him catching a smack. Being that I don't think Ridley is playable yet still want him in badly, I'm kind of fed up with the guy.

Last edited:

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
Okay.... so...

The last time I was in this thread it got ugly quick, so let me try and keep this civil.

From my standpoint, Sakurai seems like a jerk... although I have more colorful language for him. Let's say Ridley is playable... that means he cannot be trusted in any way, shape, or form. I think the joy of having Ridley in the game would blind fans to that, but it means everything he says is suspect. And let's say Ridley is NOT playable. Then Sakurai's words have actual value to them, but he's sadist who screws with fans for fun... and that whole "I don't like to cause drama" thing is a big lie. AND he doesn't care about what fans want; he cares about what Sakurai wants.

Either way, I'd be fine with him catching a smack. Being that I don't think Ridley is playable yet still want him in badly, I'm kind of fed up with the guy.
I don't know. Many other game developers are teases just like Sakurai, and while Sakurai might go further when trolling the smash fan base I don't think he would go so far as to piss us off. I think Ridley is extremely likely at this point and there is no reason why he shouldn't be in. Sakurai knows what his fans want and he likes to give them what they want.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
The issue is there is a difference between lying and misleading to increase hype. Sakurai never claimed Ridley was anything. So it's not like this does anything to his trustworthiness.

If I say "I'm going to get you a dog" and then take you to a port-o-john in a trailer park somewhere instead, that's one thing. If I say "I'm going to take you to look at power tools for a few hours" and then I take you to get a dog, that's another.

You're saying Sakurai is doing the former even when he's doing the latter, as if they are 100% interchangeable.

Morbi

Scavenger
Okay.... so...

From my standpoint, Sakurai seems like a jerk... although I have more colorful language for him. Let's say Ridley is playable... that means he cannot be trusted in any way, shape, or form. I think the joy of having Ridley in the game would blind fans to that, but it means everything he says is suspect and everything he says from now until the end of time will have fans torturing themselves. And let's say Ridley is NOT playable. Then Sakurai's words have actual value to them, but he's sadist who screws with fans for fun... and that whole "I don't like to cause drama" thing is a big lie. AND he doesn't care about what fans want; he cares about what Sakurai wants.

It is not as though he has been entirely honest this entire time; so Ridley would not necessarily be the only exception. I see where you are coming from; but at the same time, his words already have value attributed to them. I hardly doubt a surprise reveal would attenuate that arbitrary value very much.

Last edited:

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
The issue is there is a difference between lying and misleading to increase hype. Sakurai never claimed Ridley was anything. So it's not like this does anything to his trustworthiness.

If I say "I'm going to get you a dog" and then take you to a port-o-john in a trailer park somewhere instead, that's one thing. If I say "I'm going to take you to look at power tools for a few hours" and then I take you to get a dog, that's another.

You're saying Sakurai is doing the former even when he's doing the latter, as if they are 100% interchangeable.
Either way, this is not behavior from someone who actually dislikes getting fans worked up. Either he's teasing fans playfully or teasing them maliciously. I think since I'm convinced Ridley is not playable I'm already annoyed with him since I see him as being malicious.

majora_787

Smash Hero
And then we get to this issue. Sakurai making Ridley a boss does NOT make his words have value, since he went out of his way to not deconfirm Ridley explicitly and let people have hope or interest in his status as playable. To hype people up like that for something that will not meet expectations (in more than a few ways) is what the problem would be.

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
Either way, this is not behavior from someone who actually dislikes getting fans worked up. Either he's teasing fans playfully or teasing them maliciously. I think since I'm convinced Ridley is not playable I'm already annoyed with him since I see him as being malicious.
Malicious? Common man, Sakurai is just having a little fun. I think he knows what he's doing and I really don't think he wants to piss off any fans.

Morbi

Scavenger
I do not even believe that he is teasing us to be honest; he gave us ambiguous information and asked us analyze it to come to a conclusion ensuring that nothing objective could be discerned from what he has given us.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
That's weird. The way he treats us doesn't show any signs of malice. He's got quite a lighthearted vibe.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't trust Sakurai, to begin with, so if all the (supposedly) hinting and foreshadowing for playable Ridley is in vain, nothing will change in regards of my opinion about him. He is just a man working to pay his bills, he will do whatever he is told to do or thinks is better suited for Smash Bros (and any other game he worked in). In other words, he will put whatever character he thinks will appeal the most to people. If Ridley isn't in, it is because Sakurai, for whatever reason, thinks he is unappealing OR because he was told to not put Ridley in the game (I can't think of a few reasons for that). What I am trying to say is that I will not hate Sakurai or anything like that, if Ridley isn't in. I think it is a pointless and somewhat childish thing to do, when you consider the points I brought up. For example, I see a lot of people hating on Satoru Iwata, because it is been at least one millennium since the last F-Zero game was released, but most people don't seem to consider the possibility of Iwata not being the one to decide that (he is the president of Nintendo, but he doesn't get to decide everything in regards of the company). Plus, like Sakurai, he will do what is best for the company, their goal is to sell as many copies as possible of their games. Developing a new game for a niche series might not be the smartest idea, when you think about it. Perhaps putting a menacing and creepy-looking character like Ridley, in Smash Bros, isn't a great idea either. Lets hope this isn't case.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
And then we get to this issue. Sakurai making Ridley a boss does NOT make his words have value, since he went out of his way to not deconfirm Ridley explicitly and let people have hope or interest in his status as playable. To hype people up like that for something that will not meet expectations (in more than a few ways) is what the problem would be.
Not deconfirming him explicitly doesn't mean his words shouldn't be trusted, it just makes him a jerk. In my opinion, anyway. There's no real point to it other than to harass fans.

I don't trust Sakurai, to begin with, so if all the (supposedly) hinting and foreshadowing for playable Ridley is in vain, nothing will change in regards of my opinion about him. He is just a man working to pay his bills, he will do whatever he is told to do or thinks is better suited for Smash Bros (and any other game he worked in). In other words, he will put whatever character he thinks will appeal the most to people. If Ridley isn't in, it is because Sakurai, for whatever reason, thinks he is unappealing OR because he was told to not put Ridley in the game (I can't think of a few reasons for that). What I am trying to say is that I will not hate Sakurai or anything like that, if Ridley isn't in. I think it is a pointless and somewhat childish thing to do, when you consider the points I brought up. For example, I see a lot of people hating on Satoru Iwata, because it is been at least one millennium since the last F-Zero game was released, but most people don't seem to consider the possibility of Iwata not being the one to decide that (he is the president of Nintendo, but he doesn't get to decide everything in regards of the company). Plus, like Sakurai, he will do what is best for the company, their goal is to sell as many copies as possible of their games. Developing a new game for a niche series might not be the smartest idea, when you think about it. Perhaps putting a menacing and creepy-looking character like Ridley, in Smash Bros, isn't a great idea either. Lets hope this isn't case.
Putting Ridley in or not putting Ridley in is whatever... if Sakurai has some marching orders to LEAVE RIDLEY OUT, then his hands are tied. But I highly doubt that Iwata or any other bigwigs at Nintendo would make him leave Ridley out and then tell him to do it in the way that will annoy as many fans as possible.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Besides, Sakurai does seem to care about the Smash fanbase (he removed tripping, added Little Mac to the roster, etc) and I like the way he speak to us in the Directs. If there is one developer that I could see at least trying to put Ridley in Smash, even if it isn't necessarily for the best, this developer is Sakurai. This might conflict with what I previously said about not trusting him, but whatever. Lets just be happy that Smash isn't developed by Yoshinori Ono.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
REPOSTS AHOY!

I might ask Smashoperatingbuddy to compile this with his shadow compilation.

Assuming the blob above is Pikachu, roughly six Ridley tails can fit inside Pikachu.
Therefore, Ridley's range of sizes are these, hardly boss-sized.

Ridley's largest size:

Ridley's smallest size:

Size comparison with Bigley and Smalley:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Im proud to be part of the ridley fandom, especially the portion that didnt jump ship after the april direct like crono and a few others. There is enough potential and hope left, all is not lost, and ill wait with baited breath as many of you will be. Heres hoping that e3 will lead to something great, i dont have my expectations high for anything in particular but some closure at least would be nice.

Morbi

Scavenger
Im proud to be part of the ridley fandom, especially the portion that didnt jump ship after the april direct like crono and a few others. There is enough potential and hope left, all is not lost, and ill wait with baited breath as many of you will be. Heres hoping that e3 will lead to something great, i dont have my expectations high for anything in particular but some closure at least would be nice.
Crono jumped ship? That is really unfortunate, I was reading his posts pre-e3 last year. He seemed the most inspiring/inspired. We should all be glad though; only the strong remain.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I'm feeling a little more cynical about Ridley's chances. It's true that he wasn't specifically said to be a stage boss, but Sakurai's words and the accompanying visual heavily implied him to be. For all we know, Sakurai could have intended it to be a dis-confirmation. Alternately, he could be holding off on showing boss Ridley due to the fact that he's such a high profile character.

With that said though, I admire all of your passion and support. Here's hoping I'm wrong and we can savage the other combatants as everyone's favorite pirate leader.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Crono jumped ship? That is really unfortunate, I was reading his posts pre-e3 last year. He seemed the most inspiring/inspired. We should all be glad though; only the strong remain.
From how it seemed right after yeah, but maybe not, i havent seen him around as much so i cant be sure.

But i think maybe i just saw his reactions directly after the direct which were"

"Da Nile is not just a river that flows through Africa, its also one that flows through this thread."

"I am not going to participate in the mental gymnastics olympics, and instead actually put forth something practical going forward. You guys can keep believing whatever you want until Sakurai finally gives you guys a full frontal assault of Stage Hazardley, but for the rest of us, we will get Ridley in Smash Bros."

----
Possibly venting like many were, maybe, but either way many lost hope after that. I dont blame them, but the circumstances surrounding this whole thing are what still give me hope, or at least the possibility of it.

Ragingtsunami726

Smash Cadet
I'm feeling a little more cynical about Ridley's chances. It's true that he wasn't specifically said to be a stage boss, but Sakurai's words and the accompanying visual heavily implied him to be. For all we know, Sakurai could have intended it to be a dis-confirmation. Alternately, he could be holding off on showing boss Ridley due to the fact that he's such a high profile character.

With that said though, I admire all of your passion and support. Here's hoping I'm wrong and we can savage the other combatants as everyone's favorite pirate leader.
See, I just don't think Sakurai is ignorant enough to not realize the implications of showing Ridley's shadow and part of his wing/tail but not actually stating his name or giving us any sort of real information on his status.

Personally, I feel Sakurai is well aware of the numerous teases and is doing it deliberately. As a result of this, I think Ridley has great odds of being playable because if not, Sakurai is a **** (and he's even stated that he hates the grief that selecting playable characters causes him, I doubt he'd risk pissing off a bunch of people so intentionally).

Last edited:

PlasticBag

Smash Apprentice
Okay.... so...

>doesn't care about what fans want

Excuse me, then how did Sonic & Megaman get in? By popular fan demand of course.

Sakurai is like jesus, he doesn't answer everyone's prayers. lol

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
You're missing his point entirely.
I'm really not. He may or may not be guilty of thinking it, but the idea that Sakurai is a messianic, do-no-wrong deity of game design is irksome and surprisingly prevalent.

I just happened to find a perfect quote to capture that. It wasn't directed toward PlasticBag or anyone else in particular.

Last edited:

GraveJoker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GraveJoker
REPOSTS AHOY!

I might ask Smashoperatingbuddy to compile this with his shadow compilation.

Assuming the blob above is Pikachu, roughly six Ridley tails can fit inside Pikachu.
Therefore, Ridley's range of sizes are these, hardly boss-sized.

Ridley's largest size:

Ridley's smallest size:

Size comparison with Bigley and Smalley:
Is there a picture where it shows Bowser and other characters leveled and not doing anything so I can see how he sizes up to Ridley?

Top Bottom