• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
You're such an idiot. Nintendo and Square Enix made Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars. Nintendo owns all Mario characters, and Square owns Geno. FF isn't on Nintendo systems anymore, it's on PS. Square Enix and Nintendo are no LONGER affiliated. They OWN Geno, he WONT be in, and it would be a pain to get the copyright back. Keep dreaming, pessimist.
Dude, I don't think Geno has a chance but Konami stays as far as possible from Nintendo and yet we got Snake. (And I hope he'll be back)

Morbi

Scavenger
You're such an idiot. Nintendo and Square Enix made Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars. Nintendo owns all Mario characters, and Square owns Geno. FF isn't on Nintendo systems anymore, it's on PS. Square Enix and Nintendo are no LONGER affiliated. They OWN Geno, he WONT be in, and it would be a pain to get the copyright back. Keep dreaming, pessimist.
@ ChunkyBeef ChunkyBeef is asserting that third-party characters are not impossible as there is an overt precedent that indicates such, there is no need for ad hominem here. In fact, I am not sure why we are discussing Geno in the Ridley thread.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Just gonna stick a fork in this one, it's done.

In fact, I am not sure why we are discussing Geno in the Ridley thread.
I was wondering that, myself, 'til Mr. Passive-Aggressive popped in to ruin all our joy with his low tolerance for fun. Still, thank goodness you actually got what I was getting at there 'cause it was flying way over his head.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Geno is a pipe-dream and I have no idea why people have always expected him to be playable, but yeah this has nothing to do with Ridley.

Is anybody here going to the Smash Bros Invitational? I'm going to be there.
I'm not going, but fortunately for me I will be able to catch it soon after my class is over. I intend to stay over at college until the Invitational and Q&A presentations are finished.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I wish I knew any other Ridley thread members going to the same demo location as me at the very least, but. Ohh well.

Here because Ridley. He's not too big after all. Truth be told, never completed a Metroid game, but Ridley would be an awesome addition to Smash.

You do know what a pessimist is, right?

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Just gonna stick a fork in this one, it's done.

I was wondering that, myself, 'til Mr. Passive-Aggressive popped in to ruin all our joy with his low tolerance for fun. Still, thank goodness you actually got what I was getting at there 'cause it was flying way over his head.
Stop talking, you are stupid, there won't be any 3rd party characters you are in denial !!!! 1!!

Page 850 here we go.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
If Ridley's a boss...whoever defeats him should be immune to his shriek which paralyzes all other combatants for 10 seconds, even when the player damages them. Also at the beginning of the shriek they would briefly turn into their baby selves before reverting back to their normal appearance. Or, if in the event that Ridley is playable, that could be his Final Smash.

Morbi

Scavenger
If Ridley's a boss...whoever defeats him should be immune to his shriek which paralyzes all other combatants for 10 seconds, even when the player damages them. Also at the beginning of the shriek they would briefly turn into their baby selves before reverting back to their normal appearance. Or, if in the event that Ridley is playable, that could be his Final Smash.
So basically babalities confirmed for Smash?

SmashCast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EpicPJ516
NINTENDO DOESN'T OWN SNAKE. THE RIGHTS ARE TO KONAMI. You can want Snake in, it will never happen. Keep dreaming.

NINTENDO DOESN'T OWN SONIC. THE RIGHTS ARE TO SEGA. You can want Sonic in, it will never happen. Keep dreaming.

NINTENDO DOESN'T OWN MEGA MAN. THE RIGHTS ARE TO CAPCOM. You can want Mega Man in, it will never happen. Keep dreaming.

So on and so forth. Such a pessimist. Go somewhere else, pessimist.
Snake got in because Sakurai is friends with Hideo Kojima. Sonic got in because of fan request, so did Mega Man, and Capcom and Nintendo are close. Square isn't with Nintendo. So tbh gg

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
So basically babalities confirmed for Smash?
Hahaha no I wasn't thinking along those lines. More similar to when someone gets electrocuted you see their skeleton a few times briefly. Lol.

It's a pretty bad idea, not gonna lie. I think a much more viable thing to happen when Ridley is defeated (as a boss) would be for him to swoop in and grab the other combatants and fly through the wall...instant KO. Or for a Final Smash he'd just shoot a big fireball.

Last edited by a moderator:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Maybe if you defeat Ridley, he goes away and you get an actual Boss Ridley instead of a sluggish half-pint who needs to use the platforms. (Half joking)

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Snake got in because Sakurai is friends with Hideo Kojima. Sonic got in because of fan request, so did Mega Man, and Capcom and Nintendo are close. Square isn't with Nintendo. So tbh gg
Implying that Geno isn't a fan request.

If they want to put Ridley in the game, they'll put Ridley in the game.
If they want to put Geno in the game, they'll put Geno in the game.

It's all about how much effort they want to put into convincing Squenix it's a good idea.

One thing that I find that people forget about Geno is that it's not just the playable character that's a good idea, it's Squenix's cooperation that's a good idea. Yeah, we've got Geno as a playable character, but imagine Smash with great remixes and direct rips of some of Squenix's most iconic music from their RPG's, imagine stages based off of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest or any number of other Squenix franchises. Imagine all the characters Squenix could represent with Assist Trophies, in-game trophies and other niceties?

Seriously, it's not just about Geno, it's about Squenix benefiting from the ordeal with free and easy publicity, but I digress.

Ridley is the clear winner here.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
A mod for a different game can't make Ridley look good! That means professional developers and designers can't make Ridley look good in THIS game! Weh weh! /detractorsaresillyfaces

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well tomorrow morning im going to post my cannonballs again because the momment of truth is most likely tuesday.

(Supeise announcements at the confrence but thats less than 1% chance of happening though.)

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
I like this size for Ridley
Not gonna lie, that wasn't that bad. I particularly liked his throw where he drags the opponent along the ground. Also I like the range for his fire breath and how he crouches when doing that. Even so...I really do NOT want Ridley playable in this game. Haha.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
If Sakurai announces Ridley as a boss character and not playable at E3, I'll lose respect for him as a developer/director. Not just because of the boss status, but also because he had plenty of chances to "de-confirm" Ridley months back, yet chose to do so at a big event in front of millions of people. Plus other "de-confirmed" characters had it quick, easy, and to the point via PotD or via the Direct, so humiliating us at a big event is rather cruel...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If Sakurai announces Ridley as a boss character and not playable at E3, I'll lose respect for him as a developer/director. Not just because of the boss status, but also because he had plenty of chances to "de-confirm" Ridley months back, yet chose to do so at a big event in front of millions of people. Plus other "de-confirmed" characters had it quick, easy, and to the point via PotD or via the Direct, so humiliating us at a big event is rather cruel...
This is why I think Ridley is playable and not a boss/stage hazard. :p

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It'd kinda prove him a hypocrite based on what he said earlier along the lines of not wanting to give people false hope over someone where no one benefits, yeah?

majora_787

Smash Hero
It's basically either an elaborate hype escalator, or Sakurai hyping up and not deconfirming a majorly requested character as a poorly designed boss. We can only hope it's the former. :B

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
It'd kinda prove him a hypocrite based on what he said earlier along the lines of not wanting to give people false hope over someone where no one benefits, yeah?
Sakurai's done some pretty hypocritical stuff before, so I don't see why anyone would be surprised over one more.

D

Deleted member

That's why I'm 100% confident, I have faith that Sakurai would have deconfirmed him a long time ago, I have faith that he would know how to make a *good* bossley. His resizement, the teasing, the player-like movements, in 2 days the stars will align and we'll have our dragon finally playable

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Not saying you're wrong but i have one doubt, didn't Geno made a cameo in M&L: Superstar saga? (well, the doll anyway) and i'm pretty sure that game was not made by square, so do they have the rights of him or not?

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Not saying you're wrong but i have one doubt, didn't Geno made a cameo in M&L: Superstar saga? (well, the doll anyway) and i'm pretty sure that game was not made by square, so do they have the rights of him or not?
Nintendo mentioned in the credits of Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga that Geno is copyrighted to/trademark of Square Enix, so SE still do indeed own him. Nintendo would have asked permission to use him beforehand.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
They actually went out of their way to get Squenix's permission to use Geno in that one instance, yeah. Like Zem-raj said.

Way I see it, if you're willing to go out of your way to contact Squenix about a CAMEO for Geno and get accepted, should say everything about Geno's odds.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Nintendo mentioned in the credits of Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga that Geno is copyrighted to/trademark of Square Enix, so SE still do indeed own him. Nintendo would have asked permission to use him beforehand.
Oh thanks, i wasn't aware of that.

D

Deleted member

Could you guys stop discussing Geno in the Ridley thread? I guess Geno has his own thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
They actually went out of their way to get Squenix's permission to use Geno in that one instance, yeah. Like Zem-raj said.

Way I see it, if you're willing to go out of your way to contact Squenix about a CAMEO for Geno and get accepted, should say everything about Geno's odds.
True, but then again that depends on Sakurai and the development team. Alphadream probably asked for permission to make a reference since the game was also a "Mario RPG", but who knows if Sakurai would think of him as worthy for a role as big as playable character. That said i think this Geno thing should stop, we're on the Ridley thread :awesome:

Last edited:

Zuba Oki

Smash Apprentice
I am going to have to honor my word and leave if he is blatantly deconfirmed. After that, my only hope is that I can have an "alternate" account.
Well i believe Ridley will be playable but on the off chance that he isn't you should call yourself MorbidSadness

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
but who knows if Sakurai would think of him as worthy for a role as big as playable character.
See, that's the thing, no-one has any idea of what Sakurai perceives as worthy of a role in Smash. With characters like Wii Fit Trainer, Pichu, Dr. Mario and Young/Toon Link, it's pretty clear Sakurai's definition of 'worthy' is pretty fast and loose.

Anyway, Ridley's clearly the most worthy here.

Top Bottom