• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
Here's some nonsense. I was looking at Ridley, and... You MIGHT NOT BELIEVE THIS BUT

I think I saw Cloud's face in Ridley

Morbi

Scavenger
So I was at work today and thinking...and I had an epiphany.

What if...we've been looking at this whole E3 thing the wrong way?

What if Sakurai and company decide to be devious? They fix the tournament battles so that the in-game requirement for unlocking Ridley (whether it be number of battles or something else) is fulfilled immediately after the championship round of the invitational is complete. So, when the player wins, he is thrown into a "Challenger Approaching!" battle...

...with Ridley, on Pyrosphere. He's fought as a "boss" (so the shadow on Pyrosphere wasn't just a tease but was actually foreshadowing to the tournament and the boss battle for the winner), and unlocked upon victory. Immediately after, Sakurai livestreams the official Ridley reveal trailer showing him in action.

Hope.
I suppose that would be interesting; however, for simplicity's sake I am just presuming the the characters will be revealed prior. I somewhat doubt a tournament reveal or a Q&A reveal.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
I have this urge to just spam this thread with nonsense just to get to page 800.

Well, there's E3 for that, but...
Theres no need the closer It gets to E3, the closer people will put there final input on the Ridley subject positive or negative. Its going to get crazy around here for the coming days, we better batten down the hatches. :)

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I suppose that would be interesting; however, for simplicity's sake I am just presuming the the characters will be revealed prior. I somewhat doubt a tournament reveal or a Q&A reveal.
That's exactly what we're expecting..this is Sakurai though. The guy who brought us Wii Fit Trainer and Greninja out of left field. He always does things that most don't expect.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Metroid needs a new game at E3 to kick its ass in gear.

I'm tired of not being able to find any cool Metroid fans outside this ****in' thread.

majora_787

Smash Hero
"This year at E3 we'd like to present to you 500 new Metroid games lines up for the next twenty years made by Retro Studios. GLHF"

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Hopefully they finally bring out Metroid Dread. Other M was apparently a oneshot in that style, and I'd like to see a Metroid game on 3DS.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Just sayin', Prime 4 on WiiU and 'Troid 5 on 3DS would be fabulous.

And OG Ridley needs to come back. He can't be dead, he's too badass to die.

"This year at E3 we'd like to present to you 500 new Metroid games lines up for the next twenty years made by Retro Studios. GLHF"
Introducing, Samus's New Metroid. Pu-rease, take a rook.

Last edited:

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
We need to get 800 by June 10, just like 2 days. This is the real moment of truth I don't even want to watch I might wait a day to check cause if he's not announced the chances are very slim.
Like the all black design

Groose

Smash Champion
I never understood why people think a Ridley of this size looks "stupid" or "non-intimidating." Take this picture and make his neck look like Other M Ridley's thick thing, then have Ridley slouch down a bit... and presto! It looks great!

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
We need to get 800 by June 10, just like 2 days. This is the real moment of truth I don't even want to watch I might wait a day to check cause if he's not announced the chances are very slim.
Like the all black design
Waittaminute. Something is wrong with this picture. But what? Ah yes! Rids isn't slouching enough.:troll:

I kid. I kid. Honestly, that's pretty good. Good job!

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Urgh,e3 just... be right now or something. 2 days is too much for my patience even though I've waited months. Well, not consciously I suppose.
argharblarghl

D

Deleted member

Once again, I wasn't implying that Ridley wasn't important. I said everyone in Metroid besides Samus is either large or unimportant, and Ridley, while important, falls into the former category.

Controversy time: I do think size is a characteristic of Ridley. His largeness is what gives him a menacing edge and also allows him to pick up Samus and throw her or scrape her against a wall. His boss fight is intense in Super Metroid because he's a big flying thing that's constantly trying to ram into you, giving you very little space. I'm just not convinced that Sakurai thinks its possible to convert that into a playable character.
I fail to see how size is characteristic of Ridley. Like other characters, Ridley has gone through different sizes and Ridley can clearly be sized down properly to fit in (see Melee's intro as well as the numerous examples showing that Ridley can work. Ridley is intimidating because of his cruel and merciless personality that strike deep into the heart of Samus and his seemingly endless rivalry with Samus, not because of his size. By that logic, you could also say that because Bowser has been big in quite a few games that size is characteristic of him. Size is not the problem with Ridley here.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Wow, this thread really moves fast it made a jump on 15 pages, since the last time I was here.

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
I'd like to propose an ode to the future page 800. Yes, I know it's not at that point yet, but I must be off soon and fear I will not be around for that time, so I am proposing it ahead of time. It's been a good ride. This thread's been fun and we're so close to seeing the fruit (whatever it may be) of our hopes for Sm4sh once E3 arrives. I'm glad to say that I've been part of such a thread. To Ridley!:kirby:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Metroid needs a new game at E3 to kick its *** in gear.

I'm tired of not being able to find any cool Metroid fans outside this ****in' thread.
You should friend some of the people in this thread so you can talk to them outside this thread. I could talk about Metroid for a long long time.

Morbi

Scavenger
I was time traveling, I went to the page that was written before e3 last year. Surprising enough, it seemed as though there was a lot more support and a lot less hate. I suppose people were not anticipating Ridley as much back then as he was not discussed nearly as much. In fact, there was only one detractor that was facetious after that fact. Times have changed, times have certainly changed.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
Here's my E3 bet:

1. We're getting two new Metroid games:
a) 2D Metroid for 3DS by a Japanese team
b) 3rd person Metroid for Wii U by Retro Studios that plays like Metroid Blast with 1st person gamepad elements.

2. Ridley's Smash reveal will be either immediately before or after the Wii U Metroid reveal.

3. Star Fox Wii U from Next Level Games

Two years ago at E3, Miyamoto said Star Fox and Metroid are the two franchises he most wants to see on Wii U. If we get a Metroid game for 3DS, we're getting one for Wii U also. There's no way only 3DS gets it. The gamepad is just too perfect for scanning and the like.

We're in for an amazing week. "This is the one you've been waiting for", indeed.

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Here's my E3 bet:

1. We're getting two new Metroid games:
a) 2D Metroid for 3DS by a Japanese team
b) 3rd person Metroid for Wii U by Retro Studios that plays like Metroid Blast with 1st person gamepad elements.

2. Ridley's Smash reveal will be either immediately before or after the Wii U Metroid reveal.

3. Star Fox Wii U from Next Level Games

Two years ago at E3, Miyamoto said Star Fox and Metroid are the two franchises he most wants to see on Wii U. If we get a Metroid game for 3DS, we're getting one for Wii U also. There's no way only 3DS gets it. The gamepad is just too perfect for scanning and the like.

We're in for an amazing week. "This is the one you've been waiting for", indeed.
God this is optimistic but I would be so flipping happy if we got a Wii U Metroid. Imagine how pretty everything would look...
And the Gamepad would be super cool if used properly.

Also I have Ridley in my avatar now(Along with Cordelia, Olimar, and Bandana Dee)

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
Found an awesome Ridley remix

Also I heard some people speculate about Ridley's Final Smash....Well I have an idea
You all know Megaman's Final Smash, right?

How about something like this?

RIDLEYS UNITE!
(From left to right): Mecha Ridley, Little Birdie, Mystery Creature (Adolescent Ridley), Meta Ridley, Ridley-X, Original Ridley and Omega Ridley.
THIS would be the best Metroid Fan Tribute.
Samus's Face: :crazy:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I just thought of something brilliant.

It makes perfect sense that Samus's archenemy is a Space Dragon. Samus herself looks like a Space Knight.

Now I really want to see medieval Metroid...

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I was time traveling, I went to the page that was written before e3 last year. Surprising enough, it seemed as though there was a lot more support and a lot less hate. I suppose people were not anticipating Ridley as much back then as he was not discussed nearly as much. In fact, there was only one detractor that was facetious after that fact. Times have changed, times have certainly changed.
Certainly. It felt strange looking back and seeing people there who have completely lost hope in ever seeing Ridley playable in Smash.

I wonder if we can all keep our heads up for E3.

KMAL

Smash Apprentice
I just thought of something brilliant.

It makes perfect sense that Samus's archenemy is a Space Dragon. Samus herself looks like a Space Knight.

Now I really want to see medieval Metroid...
Thats a pretty good connection you made there. I will also support medieval metroid.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
This is my one year Smashboards anniversary. I made my first post in this thread, so it was only fitting I posted in here of honor myself and the gift I have been to this community.

(Oh and to stay on-topic, go Ridley and stuff)

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
This is my one year Smashboards anniversary. I made my first post in this thread, so it was only fitting I posted in here of honor myself and the gift I have been to this community.

(Oh and to stay on-topic, go Ridley and stuff)
I made my first ever post in this thread too. My one year anniversary is still months away, and I don't know if this thread will survive long enough until then.

But if it does, man oh man will I commemorate that day.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I will give this thread credit for being accepting of young blood. I'm pretty sure the first thing I ever posted was a rant on how Ridley doesn't have to be his Other M incarnation if he's in Smash. I expected to be largely disregarded, but it turned out some people actually liked my ranting and raving. You people are weird.

Don't ever change, Ridley thread. Unless of course you start pissing me off, and then for the love of God please change.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Honestly I like the Other M design more than most people tend to in general. But yeh.

Anyway, I'm out. I look forward to somehow coming back to like fifteen additional pages on the Ridley thread tomorrow, at which point we'll only have two days left before the Danger Zone kicks in. Fun times for all.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I just joined Smashboards to give my support to this thread. This thread really convinced me that Ridley was playable. I really didn't care prior to the direct, but now I'm pretty convinced he's in (and hoping). I've been lurking here since about page 700 or so.
Welcome! I like your username.

Metroid needs a new game at E3 to kick its *** in gear.

Even though it's only been four years now (and thus not as long yet), Metroid's hiatus after Other M has been arguably much more painful to deal with than the hiatus it had after Super Metroid (during the N64 era). I guess the internet hasn't helped with that, for me.

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
I don't even like Metroid games and Ridley is still in my top 5 most wanted characters in the next smash. He just seems like he would fit so perfectly with the rest of the cast. I don't understand why anyone who likes him would talk about how he's not in the game. If anything, when he gets confirmed those who want him but talk about how he won't be in will still get a bitter taste in their mouths from being wrong all this time.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
page 1000 before e3 pls
Even with the speed of this thread, 2 days probably isn't enough, sadly. But I think it's entirely possible that we could make it to 900.

I will try to contribute... I have high hopes for E3.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Wasn't the initial goal 800? One step at a time, sir.
I would have no idea, since I can't keep up with this thread for the life of me. I check in occasionally though.

Think like Ridley. Ridley don't need no dang steps. He just flies over 'em. WE MUST FLY, LIKE RIDLEY

Top Bottom