• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I would have no idea, since I can't keep up with this thread for the life of me. I check in occasionally though.

Think like Ridley. Ridley don't need no dang steps. He just flies over 'em. WE MUST FLY, LIKE RIDLEY
Your avatar makes me feel funny.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I think it's almost a guarantee that we'll hit 1 million views if Ridley is confirmed to be playable at E3.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I personally have two problems with the design:

The "beak" is much skinnier than normal, from dragon-like to duck-like.. I should not feel like I can disable him by snapping off his front teeth and half of his jaw.

The legs are far too stumpy-looking. Maybe if they were longer and less steroid-heavy, I could accept the design, but that's not the case here.

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Personally, Ridley's OM design has grown on me so much that it's become my favourite design now, so I'd have no problem if that's the version we get playable.

Now, if anyone thinks that Ridley can't be made playable because of how his attacks would work in regards to his size, let me say just one thing: POSTURE!

yeah, see. The thing is, how do you limit the reach of a character that's large? you make his attack poses and animations work in a way that limits their reach without hurting his base character. take Ridley's tail for example, it's quite long, so how do you make it work without making it overpowered? you make Ridley strike with it in poses that limits its reach without making it look stupid. Like he could swing it around but his animationn limits its range so it doesn't extend out all the way. This is simple game design, developers (especially Sakurai) know how to do this.

Ridley's idle-animation would also most likely be him in a hunched over pose, thereby keeping his large size without making it too large. Like, why would Ridley need to extend himself all the way? yes, he is bipedal, but his proportions make it more efficient for him to move around like a quadruped, he's not meant to stand up as tall as he can, that's not in Ridley's character. Instead he remains hunched over, coiled up like a viper ready to strike. His tail for example, doesn't need to extend all the way back when he remains idle, he can insted keep it slightly curled around him, thereby keeping a threatening presence without sacrificing any any of his dignity.

If anybody can't see how Ridley can work as a playable character, then you've obviously haven't played enough fighting games. If Capcom can make a character like MODOK (who is known for being a giant floating head) playable, then there's no excuse and you're simply not using your imagination enough.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, I never saw how Ridley standing as tall as he can upright would be a problem, since that's something he would never even do in his own series anyway, so why would he do it in Smash?

View attachment 15701

I just did this out of boredom before I go to sleep....
Little Ridley with your eyes so bright, won't you guide your supporters tonight?

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
You guys' dedication to supporting Ridley over this forum is admirable. Truly. This is shown not only through the occasionally cool fan art y'all post, all the paragraphs written, the arguments...but also especially through the continuous belittlement towards those doubting his inclusion in the roster, the taking of the arguing seriously by both sides, the rude exchanges, as well as the partaking of calling people The Problem...if that's not pure, unadulterated, and passionate dedication, then I don't know what is. Bravo.

My proverbial money's still on him being merely a boss, though. Why else would Sakurai mention there being other bosses while showing Ridley's tail and shadow on the Pyrosphere stage during the Direct? Makes sense to me. I honestly don't see a playable Ridley happening, but it would be interesting to see if it actually worked...but I ain't no adamant supporter. This thread's gonna blow up in a few days either way, if they even show Ridley at all.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Am I the only person who wouldn't mind if the Ridley they decided on was Roidley.
I'd be okay with it, even if I'd prefer another version. I don't even think Roidley is the ugliest Ridley design, I absolutely despise Neo-Ridley, Roidley is okay-ish. I'm happy as long as we get Ridley though, Ridley at his ugliest would still be the coolest character in the game.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Am I the only person who wouldn't mind if the Ridley they decided on was Roidley.
With Ridley giving his own special kind of support

"Win and I'll consider postponing your beating!!"

"It's a tiny thing, even you could win if you put some effort into it!"

and when Samus is on the Field and Roidley wins

"HAHAHA, YES, YES!! HE KICKED HER TO ZEBES AND BACK, THAT'S MY BRO!!! .... I... I mean, what, Nobody heard that! If you heard that you're dead."

Roid: "BRO!!"

"YOU ESPECIALLY DIDN'T HEAR THAT!!

Last edited:

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
I would be perfectly fine with the OM design if the fixed the beak, I would really like it if Sakurai decides to use his concept art design for other m, that would be pretty sweet.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Angelglory pretty much sold me on the Other M design, so I have no problem with it in Smash now (besides, Samus' Other M suit, which was horrible, is incredibly awesome here, so I have confidence that the Smash Team can make Other M Ridley look good too).

Zero Mission Ridley master race tho

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Oh hey, looks like it's been a year since I first started my accounnt here on Smashboards. Great times have been had, and great times are still to come, so let's keep on supporting everybodys favourite giant-flying-purple-people-eater.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
Angelglory pretty much sold me on the Other M design, so I have no problem with it in Smash now (besides, Samus' Other M suit, which was horrible, is incredibly awesome here, so I have confidence that the Smash Team can make Other M Ridley look good too).

Zero Mission Ridley master race tho
We're can I see Angleglory's Ridley design?
Also, Other M's Conceptartley would work perfectly fine for me.

I dunno about you, but after reading a bit about Ridley's personality, I really want to see him talk.
Not much, but enough to show off his personality.
It wouldn't even be that strange, 'cause in japanese folklore, dragons talk anyway.

The thing is, that I can see why people tend to think that Ridley is nothing more then a monster,
with no personality at all. The way the Metroid games present him is pretty suggestive of just that.

Edit: 100th post. That seems so little.:b:

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I dunno about you, but after reading a bit about Ridley's personality, I really want to see him talk.
It wouldn't even be that strange, 'cause in japanese folklore, dragons talk anyway.
After reading the manga I kind of wanted this too, but I think it's best to keep Metroid characters' mouths shut for a while at this point, don't want to take any risky moves right off of Other M. Some day perhaps, if they can find a voice actor who can properly represent how cruel, brooding and despicable he is I'm all for it, as long as the game itself doesn't include too much dialog.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I prefer the Metroid series to have a minimalist approach, so the less talk the characters do, the best. I'd rather Samus and Ridley keep their mouths shut.

(But yeah, his personality in the manga is great)

lilt

Smash Journeyman
After reading the manga I kind of wanted this too, but I think it's best to keep Metroid characters' mouths shut for a while at this point, don't want to take any risky moves right off of Other M. Some day perhaps, if they can find a voice actor who can properly represent how cruel, brooding and despicable he is I'm all for it, as long as the game itself doesn't include too much dialog.
Of course, It should be done in a right way. For me, it even hasn't to be in SSB4. But it would be a good opportunity to show his character to a wider audience. I like my Metroid minimalistic, just like Reila. So that's another point, why I'd like to hear his voice in Smash. I don't want him to be talkative though, similar to Melee's Mewtwo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Even with the speed of this thread, 2 days probably isn't enough, sadly. But I think it's entirely possible that we could make it to 900.

I will try to contribute... I have high hopes for E3.
Well if you guys REALLY wanted to, we could start one of those single word comment chains (like they do in Improv Comedy) that (For the sake of staying on the topic of Ridley) describes a day in the life of Ridley. Although we might want to set an order for it so it doesn't become a mess. I Imagine that would be an easy way to get to 900 or 1000 if everyone participated.

I hope the Mods don't crucify me for this idea.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
We're can I see Angleglory's Ridley design?
Also, Other M's Conceptartley would work perfectly fine for me.

The thing is, that I can see why people tend to think that Ridley is nothing more then a monster,
with no personality at all. The way the Metroid games present him is pretty suggestive of just that.

Edit: 100th post. That seems so little.:b:

D

Deleted member

I would love it if Ridley had a psychotic laugh as one of his taunts, similar in sound to Bowser's laugh from SSE, but a little different, I can't decide if it should be just deeper or simply be more intimidating in another way.

Then my two favorite characters (Mewtwo and Ridley) would both have sinister/psychotic laughs. :awesome:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I always imagined Ridley's voice as a mix of Smaug from the Hobbit and Vilgax from Ben10, yeah I know, weird combo.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
Ah thank you. I've saw this before though, but didn't know that this is from Angelglory. That looks so awesome. Really well done. But imo he looks still a little too big ( yes, I said it) due to his wingspan. That was likely intended by the creator though.

I tried to reposition his wings to match up with Charizard's posture. That's how it could look like.
I also changed his head a little, to take his duckling look from him.

Last edited:

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
If anybody can't see how Ridley can work as a playable character, then you've obviously haven't played enough fighting games. If Capcom can make a character like MODOK (who is known for being a giant floating head) playable, then there's no excuse and you're simply not using your imagination enough.
......SO ANDROSS COULD WORK?! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

ok made that

purple is (approximate super Metroid size when his mouth is closed.)

the black is is are approximate shadow footage size from my shadow comparisons. (probably needs to be a few knuckles smaller

D

Deleted member

Ok, confession time: When I was a detractor, I saw some people discussing about some guy's video about Ridley in Smash, I searched for it and it was this video that made me support Ridley, the guy's name was Shokio. I could not understand how someone could make such terrible points in a childish way and when I asked in the comments "Is this a joke?", people replied saying he "made very good points" and that "this proved why Ridley wouldn't be in Smash", as I am someone who is open minded, I saw Felicia Fan's videos, which, unlike the other one, used valide points. Basically, I'm too smart to be in the side of the "stupid arguments", I couldn't believe that those arguments were "what I believed", thanks goodness I wasn't around here during my "stupid phase"

domriver

Smash Lord
You know I don't like Ridley's design for the NES. I would love any of other designs from the other games EXCEPT the NES. My personal favorite is his clone one from Other M. Well guys less than 2 days away for the E3!!:bluejump:! I hope our favorite murderous dragon makes a dramatic appearance!! :bee::b:

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ok, confession time: When I was a detractor, I saw some people discussing about some guy's video about Ridley in Smash, I searched for it and it was this video that made me support Ridley, the guy's name was Shokio. I could not understand how someone could make such terrible points in a childish way and when I asked in the comments "Is this a joke?", people replied saying he "made very good points" and that "this proved why Ridley wouldn't be in Smash", as I am someone who is open minded, I saw Felicia Fan's videos, which, unlike the other one, used valide points. Basically, I'm too smart to be in the side of the "stupid arguments", I couldn't believe that those arguments were "what I believed", thanks goodness I wasn't around here during my "stupid phase"
I say this with all due respect, you know someone is a moron when they ramble on about something, and by talking convince people of the opposite of what they're saying.

Also, morning Ridley thread.

Serpdrako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Imperfect_Scars
3DS FC
3136-6642-7063
Oh my Ridley. E3 is so close! My hype cannot be cont-*explodes*

*reincarnates as Ridley and patiently awaits own reveal trailer*

D

Deleted member

I say this with all due respect, you know someone is a moron when they ramble on about something, and by talking convince people of the opposite of what they're saying.

Also, morning Ridley thread.
Ohai ("Oh hi")
Turns out I get to watch the French Open Final to pass some of the time this morning while I wait for E3 (yes I know it's in two days). :bluejump:
Tennis is my favorite sport by the way (a fun fact for everyone in the thread).

Also, a quick update, my cooperative tweaking of the Ridley moveset posted by @ZanZero (tweaking with him) is almost finished and seems to be on track to be posted sometime tomorrow, just in time for E3. Expect the post to be a little more than just a post of Ridley's moves with damage descriptions (think of a Strategy Guide's description of a character from a fighting game). I really think/hope the final product will be something that everyone in this thread will come to appreciate. :estatic:

D

Deleted member

I believe the only detractors that I'll hunt down are 3 that I found on Miiverse, not because they don't believe or want Ridley, but because they called me "a delusional child who can't see 'facts'", I'm tired of being called by names that shouldn't be even said here

majora_787

Smash Hero
Why hunt them down? Guys, just root yourselves down to play some Smash Bros. The ground will be oversaturated with the saltiest of tears of people who think he is impossible or should never be in Smash Bros. The best way to enjoy detractor tears is thorough absorption of the distant despair while you sit down for some shenanigans.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Y'all watch on Monday when the PoTD is Pyrosphere, and literally the only thing said about it is something stupid about the purple things...
Yea sadly i would not be suprised what so ever if we have another shadow footage picture for the potd tomorrow.

And why hunt down theres a 80% chance we are going to be laughing at those detractors because they got to put on there paper bag masks for being wrong about ridley.

Anyway as for his size i think his size is 4/6 of the super metroid ridley. (Or 3/4 of super metroid ridley.)

Top Bottom