• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If Ridley is truely a boss I want it to be shown at E3, put us out of our misery.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
View attachment 15668
xD just a random thingy...also, I think @Dalek_Kolt knows where I got that pose from....
I'm now imagining the inevitable interactions when Samus inevitably arrives.

Roidley: My brother is getting slaughtered out there! Let me at her! I need to save him! I know he would to the same for me!

Space Pirates: ...

Roidley: He might!

Space Pirates: We never said he would not!

Roidley: Well, okay, not on purpose and maybe not immediately. But, there's definitely a pretty decent chance that if Samus was force-feeding me Super Missiles, Bro would blast her into oblivion with fire breath at some point for unrelated reasons. And, assuming I had not been killed by Samus or her fiery obliteration, then I could be saved.

Space Pirate 1: To me, the saddest part is that he believes what he is saying.

Space Pirate 2: That poor, stupid fool.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
It'll be awkward when Roidley is the one who ends up in Smash. Unless of course alternate costume magic is used. :p

majora_787

Smash Hero
Nah, I would father suffer and be left in the dark for as long as possible. Thank you very much! But seriously though, if he is a boss character, I want them to hold off on the deconfirmation.
Do you really want to deal with uncertainty for that long? I know I don't want to deal with it until the game's launch.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I'm now imagining the inevitable interactions when Samus inevitably arrives.

Roidley: My brother is getting slaughtered out there! Let me at her! I need to save him! I know he would to the same for me!

Space Pirates: ...

Roidley: He might!

Space Pirates: We never said he would not!

Roidley: Well, okay, not on purpose and maybe not immediately. But, there's definitely a pretty decent chance that if Samus was force-feeding me Super Missiles, Bro would blast her into oblivion with fire breath at some point for unrelated reasons. And, assuming I had not been killed by Samus or her fiery obliteration, then I could be saved.

Space Pirate 1: To me, the saddest part is that he believes what he is saying.

Space Pirate 2: That poor, stupid fool.
I-LOVE-THIS OuO

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'd say they're wrong about Waluigi and Il-Piantissimo being more relevant than Petey Piranha, but that's definitely an interesting way to look at it. :p

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Nah, I would father suffer and be left in the dark for as long as possible. Thank you very much! But seriously though, if he is a boss character, I want them to hold off on the deconfirmation.
He would have been deconfirmed by now if he wasn't playable.

Morbi

Scavenger
He would have been deconfirmed by now if he wasn't playable.
I would father suffer? What an awkward typo on my part... either way, I do not believe that he is going to be anything other than a playable character unless he is a hybrid-character. I was merely pondering on the aspect of "if."

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
To be fair, I wander in and out of the Ridley thread to a host of other forums, websites, and chatrooms. So I'm not talking about just the Ridley thread when I say that.

I'm sorry, we put too many points into charisma when we made our accounts
...that's even more worrying!

I'm the fool for putting them in Agility then. Bugger.
To be honest, after reading a fair few arguments on Ridley, I'm pretty much convinced that his appearance would be a good thing for a multitude of reasons. I'm gonna list them, but it's mostly just so you can see if from the "opposite side" so to speak.

1. It shows Sakurai is listening to the fans.
2. Removal of a fair few technical limitations.
3. Ridley's fans gets a characters that they want and have wanted for a while.
4. More super heavyweights.

However, I will be defending you guys if he is disconfirmed. I guess at the moment (and it's probably a better way of summing up my position actually, now I think about it.), I'm not really fussed if he's in or not. For your guy's sake, I want him to be in and from a gameplay viewpoint, it would be interesting. But, his character doesn't appeal enough to me.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I-LOVE-THIS OuO
For your future Rid/Roid comics, I think it would be much more hilarious if Roidley isn't completely stupid, but is more innocent and selectively oblivious to Ridley's loathing.

Ridley: You are everything I despise in the universe.

Roidley: You jokester, you.

majora_787

Smash Hero
...that's even more worrying!

I'm the fool for putting them in Agility then. Bugger.
To be honest, after reading a fair few arguments on Ridley, I'm pretty much convinced that his appearance would be a good thing for a multitude of reasons. I'm gonna list them, but it's mostly just so you can see if from the "opposite side" so to speak.

1. It shows Sakurai is listening to the fans.
2. Removal of a fair few technical limitations.
3. Ridley's fans gets a characters that they want and have wanted for a while.
4. More super heavyweights.

However, I will be defending you guys if he is disconfirmed. I guess at the moment (and it's probably a better way of summing up my position actually, now I think about it.), I'm not really fussed if he's in or not. For your guy's sake, I want him to be in and from a gameplay viewpoint, it would be interesting. But, his character doesn't appeal enough to me.
Not everyone is successfully seduced by purple dragons as it turns out. Should've gotten Nephenee in Smash Bros., would've gone a lot better.

AndreaAC

For your future Rid/Roid comics, I think it would be much more hilarious if Roidley isn't completely stupid, but is more innocent and selectively oblivious to Ridley's loathing.

Ridley: You are everything I despise in the universe.

Roidley: You jokester, you.
xD well, I didn't make him that stupid, but you are right! OuO I can't believe that I have more fun with Ridley's psychological violence on him than with physical one like before....I'm wierd...

majora_787

Smash Hero
Are you two trying to recreate... What are those two guys' names from Red vs Blue? Caboose and Donut or something like that? You two are trying to revive their shenanigans in Roidley, aren't you.

AndreaAC

Are you two trying to recreate... What are those two guys' names from Red vs Blue? Caboose and Donut or something like that? You two are trying to revive their shenanigans in Roidley, aren't you.
I don't know who they are o_o

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
This.

People who jumped on the Ridley bandwagon, claiming that they were supporters of Ridley, and then immediately jumped ship after the Direct and turned into detractors are worse than the Toobigots.
Whoa people actually did that? Even when I wasn't a hardcore Ridley fan, after the shadow I knew Ridley fate wasn't set in stone.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
Not everyone is successfully seduced by purple dragons as it turns out. Should've gotten Nephenee in Smash Bros., would've gone a lot better.
Now, that's something I can get behind. I may or may not have a Nephenee skin over Link on my Brawl.
Doesn't help that Nephenee and Lyn are my favourite FE characters.

I have a question to pose, actually. This is mainly to satisfy my curiousity than anything else, but if Ridley were to be confirmed and were playable, do you think he would be able to be balanced properly, yet still retain his look and feel?
From the Metroid games I've played and his appearance in Brawl, he would seem to suit the attack damage and knockback of a heavyweight, but with the attack speed of a lightweight. To remedy this, my fix would be to make him like Lars from Tekken 6. Lars basically has to fully commit to every single attack that he does, or he gets punished something fierce. This is how I imagine Ridley would play. But what about you guys?

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't know who they are o_o
Damn it Andrea I am trying to set you up for some sick pop culture references. Work with me here.

EDIT: I honestly think Ridley could be balanced well enough. It would be complicated if he were an air-centered character, but this game seems to be focused a lot about making sure its roster is balanced. Most likely by giving him quicker / more powerful / more effective attacks and increased mobility in the air, but slow and clumsy attacks on the ground. And all things considered, his heaviness would be a good compensation for how easy it would be to juggle or chain him between multiple people.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'm taking cues from 8-Bit Theater.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Whoa people actually did that? Even when I wasn't a hardcore Ridley fan, after the shadow I knew Ridley fate wasn't set in stone.
I won't say who they are, but I remember some people vouching for Ridley until they saw what happened at the Direct. After that, they started calling Ridley supporters "delusional" for thinking that he still has a chance.

AndreaAC

Damn it Andrea I am trying to set you up for some sick pop culture references. Work with me here.

EDIT: I honestly think Ridley could be balanced well enough. It would be complicated if he were an air-centered character, but this game seems to be focused a lot about making sure its roster is balanced. Most likely by giving him quicker / more powerful / more effective attacks and increased mobility in the air, but slow and clumsy attacks on the ground. And all things considered, his heaviness would be a good compensation for how easy it would be to juggle or chain him between multiple people.
OK, first off, you don't have to get GODDAMN upset because I don't have a single clue of who those guys or games are, and MY IDEAS are not based on them.....second, about the "waifu" thing, I don't watch anime because it makes me bored and their "jokes" are kind of silly....

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
... And I'm sorry, are we doing the "Nothing is set in stone" thing as a convenient catch-all to attempt to prove anything wrong? This argument... "argument", sorry, doesn't go anywhere. It devolves straight to "SSB4 could be cancelled! Nothing is set in stone, after all!"

Not only that, but you combined this with "Ridley is unfinished", which relied on Sakurai and everyone making the game to be SO INCOMPETENT as to need more than eight months to finish one stage hazard.

And on top of *THAT*, but we're getting into this weird branch of things where we're saying "Well maybe the Ridley we were shown doesn't exist and the actual Ridley is actually twice as big". Are we going for an olympic medal in being ridiculous?

EDIT: Oh sorry. So you're saying that Sakurai is deliberately hyping up punching bags that show up on stage, die in three hits(or "ten seconds"), and otherwise don't do anything. This is such an astonishing high quality feature. If it were explained just like that, I cannot FATHOM how this wouldn't excite literally everyone.

Thanks Sakurai! We're all glad you hyped up a Yellow Devil and Ridley skin for Sandbag! (You probably don't realize how ridiculous this is, but hey. I tried.)
We have little more than shadows and whispers to argue with, and both vanish in an instant. I cannot speak for the development methodology that Sakurai uses. Maybe Ridley wasn't done not due to incompetence but rather that finishing a Boss Hazard is unimportant compared to ensuring all of the planned characters get done before too much goes into extras. Notice we've not heard anything regarding alternate modes aside from Smash Run. No Coin Launcher, no Boss Battles, nothing else beyond a vague mentions of an All-Stars mode and its relationship with ATs. I think a lot of focus right now is going into the core of the game, which are the characters. So yes, it's perfectly reasonable to expect that Ridley might not be totally done(and if Sakurai wasn't given enough notice about the Direct, completely understandable). Besides, as you said, it shouldn't take long to finish. Which means they should hopefully be nearing completion of, or have already completed the roster they envisioned. The model may not be done. Textures might not be finished. Size may not be completely decided on yet. Animations not yet done.

As to your second point, Boss Hazards aren't meant to set the world on fire, they're meant to provide some excitement and random chance to a match in progress. If Ridley were a Boss Hazard, would you want the stage to be as hectic and crazy as either of the SSE battles you face him in, while you're fighting at least one other opponent, maybe three? And it's not even out of character for Ridley's appearances to be as slow and passive as he was in the Direct. Set Boss Battles to Easy Mode and count the seconds between attacks and how quickly they go down, especially if you know how to fight them and look for their patterns. The idea behind the Boss Hazards are the same as the ATs. Characters that didn't make the cut for whatever reason still get some representation in an interactive form.

majora_787

Smash Hero
OK, first off, you don't have to get GODDAMN upset because I don't have a single clue of who those guys or games are, and MY IDEAS are not based on them.....second, about the "waifu" thing, I don't watch anime because it makes me bored and their "jokes" are kind of silly....
You seem to really be overestimating how serious I've been being and underestimating how much I've been joking. :p The waifu thing and my previous comment were joking and not serious at all. I thought it was more apparent than I guess it was. Oops.

Last edited:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Seriously? If that's the case, that's worrying. I haven't sifted through all 792 pages and I don't plan to, but that's just downright worrying to me. As far as I can see, you're not harming anyone else with this and Ridley discussion generally doesn't take itself outside of this thread.

On topic:
The Yellow Devil is a different case, I feel. If you notice during YD's "reveal" in the Direct, the characters swapped. When he was first being introduced, Mega Man wasn't fighting him. When he's killed, he is. Because of this, we don't really have a time frame for just how quickly the Yellow Devil dies. Just wanted to point that out.

Also, you guys are actually winning me over, stop.
YD flashes when he's near-defeat(I'm assuming, that's typical of bosses you can't see the health bar of). In the Direct, from 6:58 to 7:15, it's a single uncut shot of YD arriving in the midst of a three-way and being put into a flashing state, likely near-defeat. So he's not going to stick around long if he's focused on really hard. That's the point. He's a quirk in the stage, not meant to be a 5th CPU character. Ridley I imagine would play out the same.

AndreaAC

You seem to really be overestimating how serious I've been being and underestimating how much I've been joking. :p The waifu thing and my previous comment were joking and not serious at all. I thought it was more apparent than I guess it was. Oops.
X2A571_0D493BC832104_001.gif

"..."

sigh....Sometimes I'm too tired to get the jokes....sorry about that.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Not even close.
View attachment 15674

Not that it'd matter, since Ridley would likely be crouching in his idle stance anyway.
Okay, my eyeball estimate was off. Still, look at the size discrepancy between Ridley(who's not even stretching, he's still practically sitting) and Samus, who we know is one of the taller characters in the game. To be close to a playable size, you'd be honestly suggesting that Ridley stay completely hunched the whole fight? Especially in an engine where hunchbacks seem to be going the way of the dodo(see Yoshi/Bowser)?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Okay, my eyeball estimate was off. Still, look at the size discrepancy between Ridley(who's not even stretching, he's still practically sitting) and Samus, who we know is one of the taller characters in the game. To be close to a playable size, you'd be honestly suggesting that Ridley stay completely hunched the whole fight? Especially in an engine where hunchbacks seem to be going the way of the dodo(see Yoshi/Bowser)?
Sure is a good thing Wolf and Greninja have 100% upright body posture when fighting.

Morbi

Scavenger
Perhaps that notion is precisely why Ridley is the hunchback of Notre Dame? It would make him much more unique if all of the other reptilian characters corrected their posture? Do you not believe this to be the case?

Top Bottom