• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Assuming he's a shoe-in is as whacko as it is assuming he's totally out of the game, if not more. At this point Ridley is being pulled from both sides, trying to come to a conclusion is not a smart idea either way. Thinking Ridley has a low chance of making it in as playable is not wrong, that's what we're being lead on to believe after all, the question is whether Sakurai wants to give us a happy ending, and there's certainly no guarantee on that, I don't want to have to remind people of the Brawl "teasing" yet again.

Someone who believes Ridley doesn't have much of a chance anymore isn't lacking in sense at all, any person who doesn't read into things will logically believe Ridley is deconfirmed, and rightfully so. Even if someone reads into the whole situation and comes to the conclusion that he's still not very likely I wouldn't blame him, that's my scenario, I just don't have enough faith in Sakurai.

Please guys, let's not come off as frantic fanboys that try to shoot down any and all doubters, that's the last thing I want the Ridley fanbase to be remembered for. Doubting Ridley in this scenario is only natural, by far the majority of people will take what they see at a first glance and then leave it at that, and having Ridley's shadow fly over the words "boss characters" seems really damn convincing on its own.
Sorry. My post came off the wrong way.mi do not think he is a shoe in. But he is very like to me.

majora_787

Smash Hero
If he's deconfirmed at this point I'll be surprised and disappointed, but not for the immediately obvious reasons, and not really so much that it would keep me from getting the game.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Assuming he's a shoe-in is as whacko as it is assuming he's totally out of the game, if not more. At this point Ridley is being pulled from both sides, trying to come to a conclusion is not a smart idea either way. Thinking Ridley has a low chance of making it in as playable is not wrong, that's what we're being lead on to believe after all, the question is whether Sakurai wants to give us a happy ending, and there's certainly no guarantee on that, I don't want to have to remind people of the Brawl "teasing" yet again.

Someone who believes Ridley doesn't have much of a chance anymore isn't lacking in sense at all, any person who doesn't read into things will logically believe Ridley is deconfirmed, and rightfully so. Even if someone reads into the whole situation and comes to the conclusion that he's still not very likely I wouldn't blame him, that's my scenario, I just don't have enough faith in Sakurai.

Please guys, let's not come off as frantic fanboys that try to shoot down any and all doubters, that's the last thing I want the Ridley fanbase to be remembered for. Doubting Ridley in this scenario is only natural, by far the majority of people will take what they see at a first glance and then leave it at that, and having Ridley's shadow fly over the words "boss characters" seems really damn convincing on its own.
Tell me about the Brawl teasing. I didn't care about following game release and speculation back in the day.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Say, I wonder if someone could bring Dalek's size chart in some outside forum and say "Do you think Ridley looks okay with this size?", and then, after the first "too small" comment, they bring up my OM/SM comparison and say "Jokes on you, he's as big as he was in Super Metroid :awesome:."

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
And people say he's too big to be playable...:awesome:
I know daleks other m ridley is the aproximate size and is playable and yet its almost the same size of the super metroid ridley.

See we knew it all of long

RIDLEY IS NOT TOO BIG FOR PLAYABLE!!!!!!

As a matter of fact brawls version of the super metroid ridley is bigger than the snes version

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Personally I've already gotten over the initial dissapointment, I've basically got nothing left to lose at this point. That combined with the small chance that Ridley might still be in is the only thing keeping me around.

majora_787

Smash Hero
The Brawl "teasing" was literally "Pac-Man in the clouds" but with Ridley. We also got Ridley's theme posted on the dojo, and Norfair shown as a stage in the 2007 demo.

Definitely not nearly as hands-on teasing as what we're getting here.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
While I'm hesitant to believe those approximate sizes, it would be pretty amazing if Ridley ends up being playable the same size as Super Metroid Ridley.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Tell me about the Brawl teasing. I didn't care about following game release and speculation back in the day.
Basically it was a bunch of tidbits that people believed to be hints of him being playable, but ultimately amounted to nothing.

In Norfair's reveal the very first thing he mentioned was that it was home to Ridley, which of course got people thinking that it was his home stage. The ball really dropped though when the VS Ridley theme was posted on the site, that's when people got over-confident and cocky.

People will take anything as a hint, and I don't think it's been much different this time, other than Sakurai of course smearing it in our faces a bit more. If we pick up our reality glasses for a second the hints this time has mostly been directed towards him being a stage boss, just as the Brawl hints hinted at him being a boss back then ("Norfair is the location in Metroid where the enemy boss Ridley was.")

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
While I'm hesitant to believe those approximate sizes, it would be pretty amazing if Ridley ends up being playable the same size as Super Metroid Ridley.
Well, for the time being, you can have fun pulling up the biggest troll move. :troll:

Say, I wonder if someone could bring Dalek's size chart in some outside forum and say "Do you think Ridley looks okay with this size?", and then, after the first "too small" comment, they bring up my OM/SM comparison and say "Jokes on you, he's as big as he was in Super Metroid :awesome:."

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Basically it was a bunch of tidbits that people believed to be hints of him being playable, but ultimately amounted to nothing.

In Norfair's reveal the very first thing he mentioned was that it was home to Ridley, which of course got people thinking that it was his home stage. The ball really dropped though when the VS Ridley theme was posted on the site, that's when people got over-confident and cocky.

People will take anything as a hint, and I don't think it's been much different this time, other than Sakurai of course smearing it in our faces a bit more.
The only differences so far is that he hasn't referred to him by name, and is still tiptoeing around his presence as a (possible) stage hazard.

Also, I think King Dedede's theme was posted on the main site along with his official reveal. In hindsight, that could have been a subtle disconfirmation for Ridley.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero

People will take anything as a hint, and I don't think it's been much different this time, other than Sakurai of course smearing it in our faces a bit more. If we pick up our reality glasses for a second the hints this time has mostly been directed towards him being a stage boss, just as the Brawl hints hinted at him being a boss back then ("Norfair is the location in Metroid where the enemy boss Ridley was.")
Ridley's theme was posted first in July of 2007. Norfair's stage was in the demo of the game three months later. And I am pretty sure the start of this were the "faces in the clouds" which predate even that.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Full run-down, since I just checked dates here.

- Ridley's theme was posted in July of 2007.
- The footage that led to the "faces in the clouds" was posted in August of 2007.
- In October of 2007 Norfair was revealed as a stage in the demo, and was covered as a stage on the website after that.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
His size from my shadows.

And daleks ridley sizes from my size thing. (i believe)

Take a few feet/inches from the super metroid ridley snes thats how big this ridley is in ssb4

And yet its a size thats playable.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Didn't really bother with the cloud faces, because aside from Bowser and Master Hand I still think it's stretching things.

Morbi

Scavenger
Personally I've already gotten over the initial dissapointment, I've basically got nothing left to lose at this point. That combined with the small chance that Ridley might still be in is the only thing keeping me around.
I suppose I have nothing to lose (except for my account) as we will be getting great reveals regardless.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Didn't really bother with the cloud faces, because aside from Bowser and Master Hand I still think it's stretching things.
Yeah, but that was used as """"""""""evidence"""""""""" more times than I would ever have dared shake a stick at in the pre-Brawl days. It was kind of ridiculous.

Point is, the stuff pre-Brawl was less hands-on teasing and had different context.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I just don't understand that if Ridley's a Boss Hazard for Pyrosphere, what's the point in removing the lava and lava spores, and changing those purple things for the Pyrosphere FD (the stage hazard-less version of Pyrosphere), if they're aesthetic/do nothing/aren't the hazards... That's like really pointless... .______.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I didn't know Ridley was """teased""" back in the Brawl days. I am slightly less hopeful now (which could be a good thing, in the end) XD

majora_787

Smash Hero
I just don't understand that if Ridley's a Boss Hazard for Pyrosphere, what's the point in removing the lava and lava spores, and changing those purple things for the Pyrosphere FD (the stage hazard-less version of Pyrosphere), if they're aesthetic/do nothing/aren't the hazards... That's like really pointless... .______.
The obvious implication is the stage has its own stage hazard, which would be related to the tubes on the sides of the stage and the lava flow. There IS no reason to remove one of the most prominent aesthetic components of Pyrosphere if it doesn't interfere with the match. And if Ridley is as he seems to be as a boss, the fact that they need a lava hazard on the stage as well really doesn't say good things.

EDIT: I dunno if I would call what happened before "teasing" so much as it was the fanbase being excitable . What is happening now is definitely purposeful ambiguity and deliberate teasing on Sakurai's part, regardless of the outcome.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Just to reiterate:

That Ridley scale is as HUGE as he can get.

I fully expect him to be smaller when he's revealed.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, but that was used as """"""""""evidence"""""""""" more times than I would ever have dared shake a stick at in the pre-Brawl days. It was kind of ridiculous.

Point is, the stuff pre-Brawl was less hands-on teasing and had different context.
I think the Brawl teasing was more direct, he did acknowledge him by name (though it was hard not to with the song's title) and wandered around him casually. This time he's been alluding to him in a less direct way, it's as if he's been tiptoeing around a sleeping bear, just gradually finding ways to wake it up without it pummeling him to the ground. A bit of a weird comparison I suppose, but it works... sorta.

But yeah, no doubt it's been different this time, but I still get the same general feel from it, except it's been a bit more extreme. A lot of the time we've been hard pressed and been put into a desperate position, rather than with Brawl where it was happy days most of the time until D-Day. Point is that it was still interpreted as teasing back then, even if it looks flat out obvious now. Try and imagine we're years ahead and Ridley is a boss in this game, I think most of us would regard it as fairly obvious at that point, even if it was mean-spirited on Sakurai's front. Of course that interpretation will always be skewed by the actual outcome, but I'm a bit afraid that we've perhaps been interpreting things the wrong way, as in he was trying to spill the beans early on to prepare us.

But that's just my sleepy rambling, don't take it for too much, chances are I'll wake up tomorrow and disagree with myself.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I dunno. From looking at this, a big part of why I think Ridley is playable is I have faith in Sakurai's ability to make good game development decisions. Because the worst thing that could happen is not only is Ridley not playable, but he's also a ridiculously watered down and badly designed boss. That would literally be the *worst* outcome, and to me, that's what seem to be our choices.

It's not so much a gamble that "Ridley is so important he has to be in this next game" as it is, "I don't believe Sakurai would give hope to his fans only to literally make EVERYONE unhappy". Because to be honest, just going off what I've seen, this Bossley wouldn't even make detractors happy.

If Sakurai didn't go out of his way to imply Ridley's appearance in the game and then show his shadow with no explicit explanation and then leave everything out for people to hope over, I really wouldn't be even 10% this optimistic about Ridley's chances.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I dunno. From looking at this, a big part of why I think Ridley is playable is I have faith in Sakurai's ability to make good game development decisions. Because the worst thing that could happen is not only is Ridley not playable, but he's also a ridiculously watered down and badly designed boss. That would literally be the *worst* outcome, and to me, that's what seem to be our choices.

It's not so much a gamble that "Ridley is so important he has to be in this next game" as it is, "I don't believe Sakurai would give hope to his fans only to literally make EVERYONE unhappy". Because to be honest, just going off what I've seen, this Bossley wouldn't even make detractors happy.

If Sakurai didn't go out of his way to imply Ridley's appearance in the game and then show his shadow with no explicit explanation and then leave everything out for people to hope over, I really wouldn't be even 10% this optimistic about Ridley's chances.
Sometimes I feel like he's an idiot though. I feel like maybe he just thinks that we want him to appear in the game. So he'll tease us with the stage boss stuff (because for some reason Sakurai thinks Stage Bosses are cool to us). Then finally reveal him as a stage boss awaiting the cheers.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Sometimes I feel like he's an idiot though. I feel like maybe he just thinks that we want him to appear in the game. So he'll tease us with the stage boss stuff (because for some reason Sakurai thinks Stage Bosses are cool to us). Then finally reveal him as a stage boss awaiting the cheers.
If this looked like it would turn out to be a good boss, I would consider that possibility. But after playing Kirby 64, Return to Dreamland, Kirby's Air Ride, Smash 64, Melee, Brawl... I don't think Sakurai would actually hype up something so poorly made or designed. Being detached from the fanbase and not knowing what they want at all is one thing, but not having an understanding of what does and doesn't work in a game is something totally different.

Morbi

Scavenger
If Ridley is not in the game as a playable character, the only logical reason is that Sakurai is blatantly incompetent. I do not; however, believe that to be the case.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
While I do think Sakurai is oblivious sometimes, I don't think he is in regards to Ridley. There's just no way anyone can misinterpret the enormous and all devouring subject that is Ridley, he dominates the majority of character discussions for each game, and Sakurai has likely heard the complaints about Ridley's role in Brawl too. Heck, I'm certain he knew about the demand for a playable Ridley for Brawl too, he just chose to not deliver back then, which was no big deal since he gave us almost every other highly requested character anyways, Sonic included.

You can say many things about Sakurai and his decisions, you can give him all the hate in the world over tripping itself or w/e, but if there's one thing even I can see, it's that he understands the fanbase's character requests. The way he interacted with us through the Direct, the way he teased Palutena and Ridley, Sakurai knows how to communicate with us, he speaks our language, it's very obvious. There's no way he has simply misinterpreted that we want Ridley as a playable character and not a boss.

Anyways, I'm off to bed now.

Last edited:

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I think the Brawl teasing was more direct, he did acknowledge him by name (though it was hard not to with the song's title) and wandered around him casually. This time he's been alluding to him in a less direct way, it's as if he's been tiptoeing around a sleeping bear, just gradually finding ways to wake it up without it pummeling him to the ground. A bit of a weird comparison I suppose, but it works... sorta.

But yeah, no doubt it's been different this time, but I still get the same general feel from it, except it's been a bit more extreme. A lot of the time we've been hard pressed and been put into a desperate position, rather than with Brawl where it was happy days most of the time until D-Day. Point is that it was still interpreted as teasing back then, even if it looks flat out obvious now. Try and imagine we're years ahead and Ridley is a boss in this game, I think most of us would regard it as fairly obvious at that point, even if it was mean-spirited on Sakurai's front. Of course that interpretation will always be skewed by the actual outcome, but I'm a bit afraid that we've perhaps been interpreting things the wrong way, as in he was trying to spill the beans early on to prepare us.

But that's just my sleepy rambling, don't take it for too much, chances are I'll wake up tomorrow and disagree with myself.
I couldn't agree more. Over thinking things is something only the Palutena supporters can get away with. Its good to be confident but don't be to sure. Keep your hopes low to save your self. I want Ridley in pretty badly but if he whined up disconfirmed, I won't be hurt. Just somewhat depressed.

Morbi

Scavenger
While I do think Sakurai is oblivious sometimes, I don't think he is in regards to Ridley. There's just no way anyone can misinterpret the enormous and all devouring subject that is Ridley, he dominates the majority of character discussions for each game, and Sakurai has likely heard the complaints about Ridley's role in Brawl too. Heck, I'm certain he knew about the demand for a playable Ridley for Brawl too, he just chose to not deliver back then, which was no big deal since he gave us almost every other highly requested character anyways, Sonic included.

You can say many things about Sakurai and his decisions, you can give him all the hate in the world over tripping itself or w/e, but if there's one thing even I can see, it's that he understands the fanbase's character requests. The way he interacted with us through the Direct, the way he teased Palutena and Ridley, Sakurai knows how to communicate with us, he speaks our language, it's very obvious. There's no way he has simply misinterpreted that we want Ridley as a playable character and not a boss.

Anyways, I'm off to bed now.
That was one of the most compelling posts I have ever had the pleasure of reading in this thread. I agree with every beautiful word.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

This... Have grown quite tired of people belittling others who have any ounce of doubt of Ridley's inclusion, most of whom wanted him in beforehand. If we keep doing that and say Ridley gets the final nail on his status a few days later now, who in their right minds is going to take us seriously during SSB6 speculation or so forth? It took long enough for people to mostly forget about the pre-Brawl chaos that Ridley threads caused back then. Is this something we really want to be remembered for too? Think about it lads (and lasses).

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
This... Have grown quite tired of people belittling others who have any ounce of doubt of Ridley's inclusion, most of whom wanted him in beforehand.
Conversely, I hate it when people say that anyone believing he will still be in is "in denial" especially when they were once supporters of Ridley.

majora_787

Smash Hero
This... Have grown quite tired of people belittling others who have any ounce of doubt of Ridley's inclusion, most of whom wanted him in beforehand. If we keep doing that and say Ridley gets the final nail on his status a few days later now, who in their right minds is going to take us seriously during SSB6 speculation or so forth? It took long enough for people to mostly forget about the pre-Brawl chaos that Ridley threads caused back then. Is this something we really want to be remembered for too? Think about it lads (and lasses).
People took us seriously before? People take us seriously NOW?

That's news to me. Really, I'm being 100% honest here.

Top Bottom