• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
People just don't like changing their opinions on matters, really. If they believe one side of an argument to be delusional, then that side will always be delusional in their eyes. They'll keep thinking the other side is delusional even when their own arguments become bigger stretches than the "delusional" people.

I think that's just how people think.
Some people will defend their beliefs and be so blinded by them that they're blind to any opinion that doesn't match their own. That's why there's Fox News and CNN and so many different newspapers and even threads like this. I doubt too many of us (myself included) would purposely make a "I HATE RIDLEY" thread and rattle off reasons why he never will be a Smash character.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
THEORY TIME!

So I've been believing that Sakurai has had everything planned out since the beginning. But what if I'm wrong? What if Sakurai did hint towards Ridley on the day Pyrosphere first appeared, but he was expecting everyone to think he was a hazard? If that's the case then he must have noticed a great deal started to speculate that he could be playable: he needed a red herring.

Fast forward to the Smash Direct. Sakurai wants to throw the masses off the track about Ridley's case, and thus the shadow rears its ugly head. Most everybody buys it and stops thinking Ridley will be in the roster. His secretiveness perfected, Ridley is now completely set up for a shocker reveal as Sakurai wants.

A crazy outlandish idea, but something to muse nonetheless.

majora_787

Smash Hero
As for Ridley's increased size, that's attributed to the X trying to improve on Ridley and make him more dangerous.
They couldn't improve him visually or in his roar but they definitely made him larger. :p

Man, we're approaching on only two days left. The hype is so real.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
Something I've been thinking about a lot recently is that if Ridley does get in, I really feel this Smash iteration will be the "era of the super heavyweights", so to speak. If the game is being balanced to support competitive play, it is likely that, like Project M, most, if not all characters will be balanced and viable. If we look at the amount of super heavyweights in Sm4sh (barring no roster cuts and Ridley's inclusion).

King Dedede
Bowser
Charizard
Ridley
Snake
And possibly King K.Rool too.

These are a LOT of characters that fall under this banner. And if he's balanced well, I get the feeling Ridley could be top tier material, with the options he has to create a moveset.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Something I've been thinking about a lot recently is that if Ridley does get in, I really feel this Smash iteration will be the "era of the super heavyweights", so to speak. If the game is being balanced to support competitive play, it is likely that, like Project M, most, if not all characters will be balanced and viable. If we look at the amount of super heavyweights in Sm4sh (barring no roster cuts and Ridley's inclusion).

King Dedede
Bowser
Charizard
Ridley
Snake

These are a LOT of characters that fall under this banner. And if he's balanced well, I get the feeling Ridley could be top tier material, with the options he has to create a moveset.
And possibly Palutena too.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Palutena is just everything, isn't she. :troll:

But yeah I dunno. If Ridley is air-capable enough he could easily be top tier, though I don't need him to be top tier to enjoy him. :p

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
HMM...

hmmmm.png

Interesting! If Dalek's size charts are true, then Ridley's max size in Smash is roughly the same as that of Super Metroid Ridley! I mean, the overall body structure is relatively the same, the limbs are almost the same length and so is the tail; given, the head and the wings are the key differences, but overall, they're spot on... to a degree.

I dunno, what do you think?

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace

King Dedede
Bowser
Charizard
Ridley
Snake

If Snake comes back, I doubt he'll still be as heavy as he was in Brawl. He was stupid hard to kill and it really doesn't make all that much sense for him to be that heavy anyways. Other than that, I can see it. And you forgot DK!

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I highly doubt Palutena will be a heavyweight.

Ridley, K. Rool, and Classic Ganon are the only heavyweight (plausible) newcomers that I can think of.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
If Snake comes back, I doubt he'll still be as heavy as he was in Brawl. He was stupid hard to kill and it really doesn't make all that much sense for him to be that heavy anyways. Other than that, I can see it. And you forgot DK!
I also forgot Ganondorf too, goddamn it.

But people pointing those things out just increases the potency of the point I'm making. ;)

Ridley has far more options than anyone else in his "weight class" and thus, could have a very interesting play style which lends to a very powerful overall character.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
HMM...

View attachment 15652

Interesting! If Dalek's size charts are true, then Ridley's max size in Smash is roughly the same as that of Super Metroid Ridley! I mean, the overall body structure is relatively the same, the limbs are almost the same length and so is the tail; given, the head and the wings are the key differences, but overall, they're spot on... to a degree.

Just for reference...
hmmmboom.png

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
HMM...

View attachment 15652

...Huh. I now have the urge to bug Wizardglory or Oasis to make Roidley hunch over like that.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Actually, when you consider the amount of equipment and weapon Snake holds, it makes a lot of sense for him to be heavy. If he is back, I hope he retains the same weight he had in Brawl.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
Oh no, people changing their avatars to match their wanted characters here too? I already changed mine to support Robin like everyone else in the Robin thread. :facepalm:

Quick! Does anyone know where I could find a picture that has Robin, Mewtwo, Ridley and Nah all in one picture (If you haven't noticed I kind of worship her, so she needs to be in my avatar regardless of her chances in Smash)?

Help....? :urg:
......I Have Ridley and Kraid. Now I just need Mewtwo, K.Rool, Shulk, Chrom, and Reggie! (yes, I know Kraid and Reggie have little chance. they'd still be fun to play as.....)

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
THEORY TIME!

So I've been believing that Sakurai has had everything planned out since the beginning. But what if I'm wrong? What if Sakurai did hint towards Ridley on the day Pyrosphere first appeared, but he was expecting everyone to think he was a hazard? If that's the case then he must have noticed a great deal started to speculate that he could be playable: he needed a red herring.

Fast forward to the Smash Direct. Sakurai wants to throw the masses off the track about Ridley's case, and thus the shadow rears its ugly head. Most everybody buys it and stops thinking Ridley will be in the roster. His secretiveness perfected, Ridley is now completely set up for a shocker reveal as Sakurai wants.

A crazy outlandish idea, but something to muse nonetheless.
That's basically what I assumed people with sense had thought the entire time. Then I met the haters on Smashboards. You know when you're just so shocked someone can't see facts you don't even know what to say? That's what happens to me when I meet people who think Ridley has zero chance.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
......I Have Ridley and Kraid. Now I just need Mewtwo, K.Rool, Shulk, Chrom, and Reggie! (yes, I know Kraid and Reggie have little chance. they'd still be fun to play as.....)
Kraid? Don't you think he's a bit too big? :rolleyes:

EDIT: Speaking of Kraid, big thanks to whoever linked that Metroid High School fanfic, that was a very entertaining read.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
But NES Kraid doesn't count because it's more convenient for my already petty and baseless size argument for us to pretend he doesn't exist!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
HMM...

View attachment 15652

I...i.... I don't believe it are most likely size of him which is playable and he is exact or just a few hairs smaller than super metroid ridley.

(Now assuming thats the playable size ridley, the other m ridley one to be specific.)

See if playable his size is almost too a T of one of the ridleys in the metroid games.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Maybe you could make Roidley's tail not look like he just got done peeking into the ladies' locker room? :p
Ridley has to do SOMETHING to pass time until his E3 reveal. It's not like he has a Metroid game to be in right now. :p

EDIT: Ridley's size is the weirdest thing for so many reasons now. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I...i.... I don't believe it are most likely size of him which is playable and he is exact or just a few hairs smaller than super metroid ridley.

(Now assuming thats the playable size ridley, the other m ridley one to be specific.)

See if playable his size is almost too a T of one of the ridleys in the metroid games.
And people say he's too big to be playable...:awesome:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That's basically what I assumed people with sense had thought the entire time. Then I met the haters on Smashboards. You know when you're just so shocked someone can't see facts you don't even know what to say? That's what happens to me when I meet people who think Ridley has zero chance.
Assuming he's a shoe-in is as whacko as it is assuming he's totally out of the game, if not more. At this point Ridley is being pulled from both sides, trying to come to a conclusion is not a smart idea either way. Thinking Ridley has a low chance of making it in as playable is not wrong, that's what we're being lead on to believe after all, the question is whether Sakurai wants to give us a happy ending, and there's certainly no guarantee on that, I don't want to have to remind people of the Brawl "teasing" yet again.

Someone who believes Ridley doesn't have much of a chance anymore isn't lacking in sense at all, any person who doesn't read into things will logically believe Ridley is deconfirmed, and rightfully so. Even if someone reads into the whole situation and comes to the conclusion that he's still not very likely I wouldn't blame him, that's my scenario, I just don't have enough faith in Sakurai.

Please guys, let's not come off as frantic fanboys that try to shoot down any and all doubters, that's the last thing I want the Ridley fanbase to be remembered for. Doubting Ridley in this scenario is only natural, by far the majority of people will take what they see at a first glance and then leave it at that, and having Ridley's shadow fly over the words "boss characters" seems really damn convincing on its own.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
There's a difference between having reasonable doubts and saying ridiculous things, which is the thing here.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Assuming he's a shoe-in is as whacko as it is assuming he's totally out of the game, if not more. At this point Ridley is being pulled from both sides, trying to come to a conclusion is not a smart idea either way. Thinking Ridley has a low chance of making it in as playable is not wrong, that's what we're being lead on to believe after all, the question is whether Sakurai wants to give us a happy ending, and there's certainly no guarantee on that, I don't want to have to remind people of the Brawl "teasing" yet again.

Someone who believes Ridley doesn't have much of a chance anymore isn't lacking in sense at all, any person who doesn't read into things will logically believe Ridley is deconfirmed, and rightfully so. Even if someone reads into the whole situation and comes to the conclusion that he's still not very likely I wouldn't blame him, that's my scenario, I just don't have enough faith in Sakurai.

Please guys, let's not come off as frantic fanboys that try to shoot down any and all doubters, that's the last thing I want the Ridley fanbase to be remembered for. Doubting Ridley in this scenario is only natural, by far the majority of people will take what they see at a first glance and then leave it at that, and having Ridley's shadow fly over the words "boss characters" seems really damn convincing on its own.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I've already lost faith in that Sakurai will deliver to the fans, because it seems to me that he thinks the series can survive just fine without adding in more hype-inducing newcomers.

If he's disconfirmed at E3, I'll be disappointed, but not terribly surprised.

Top Bottom