• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Provided Ridley's size, this raises so many questions. If he is a boss, then why would he be so small? On top of that, his movement speed is clocked at just barely faster than Pikachu's half-walking speed, which is the second slowest speed Pikachu is able to move at. This is easily determined by the animation. When fighting a boss or in a match, everyone will be moving at FULL SPEED around this stage. Fast characters with projectiles will be VERY easily able to break a boss battle against a Bowser-sized Ridley moving through the air at a slow speed.

And why the platforms? The platforms make it even worse, unless they're for RIDLEY to use because of how small he is.

This is why I have said numerous times. The most disappointing thing of Ridley's deconfirmation won't be Ridley not being playable. From what we've seen, he won't even be an enjoyable boss.

EDIT: Unless of course, what we saw in the direct was completely different from Ridley as a boss.

But then where does *THAT* leave us?
Trick: What really happened is bosses can interact with some items and boss Ridley touched a poison mushroom. :troll:

Soupenomics

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-6913-7316
Once again, I wasn't implying that Ridley wasn't important. I said everyone in Metroid besides Samus is either large or unimportant, and Ridley, while important, falls into the former category.

Controversy time: I do think size is a characteristic of Ridley. His largeness is what gives him a menacing edge and also allows him to pick up Samus and throw her or scrape her against a wall. His boss fight is intense in Super Metroid because he's a big flying thing that's constantly trying to ram into you, giving you very little space. I'm just not convinced that Sakurai thinks its possible to convert that into a playable character.
Dinoman I've told before, this thread isn't safe for you.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I bet when Mario does his growing taunt he would be double Smash 4 Ridley's size.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
After reading many fan-fictions online, I thought of this...but first some nice calm music

I want to believe that Ridley is not a bloodthirsty heartless dragon....This picture is what set off this thought...

Just look at him...Even if it is just for a moment, Ridley hesitated to kill Samus....but he thought he should kill the girl regardlessly because of 3 possible reasons:

- Reason A (Most likely):
Ridley assumed that both of Samus's parents are dead and he wanted to relieve the young child from the pain of living alone as an orphan (Ridley knows this pain personally since he himself is an orphan:crying: )

-Reason B:
Ridley calls Samus "cute".....if Space Pirates find out that there is a cute girl...those monsters might do..."unspeakable things" to her :evil:.

-Reason C:
Ridley orders all Space Pirates to kill all survivors. Ridley knows that if there are helpless survivors (elder and children); the Space Pirates might capture the prisoners for either Biomatter consumption or to be kept as torture toys ot lab guinea pigs.........Ridley is doing all those humans a favor of a quick death

Later in the manga, Ridley tcaptures and tortures Samus to keep "his image" infront of all the Space Pirates as the ruthless Space Dragon....and maybe Ridley is still pissed about the Aflorotite explosion that crippled his back and nearly killed him......

....In the end, the idea that Ridley might have a heart is just speculation...but we haven't seen Ridley's perspective or past in any Metroid game...
Maybe Nintendo should make a Metroid Game starring Ridley as the main protagonist for a change.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I really don't think Ridley needs a redemption quest. :p That's why Ridley, Ganon, and Medusa are my favorite Nintendo villains alongside some others like Dekko or something. They're perfectly fine without this need for redemption. They're perfectly cool just being evil.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Thats one thing I always liked about Ridley, he was the smallest but also the biggest threat, aside from the Metriods.

Edit: Another point for Ridley epicness, his own song adds a sense of urgency to the situation unlike many another bosses, heck they even play it twice in many Metriod games, Ridley why are you so awesome? :awesome:

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Thats one thing I always liked about Ridley, he was the smallest but also the biggest threat,aside from the Metriods.
True, the Metroid Prime turned into Dark Samus, bullied the space pirates into minionship, conquered Phaaze, and used it as a Leviathan production plant and infinite power source. :p It's a pretty bad... uhm. Thing? Yes.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Ridley must be trying to compensate for his size...

Speaking of which, I kinda want a Prime/Fusion boss comparison now...

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Considering Porky's actions in Mother 3, I'm apt to disagree with you. Yes, why and how he becomes a villain is tragic, but Porky has no influence from Giygas throughout his romps through time prior to Mother 3, so every decision he makes is his own, including corrupting the citizens of Tazmily Village, turning peaceful, innocent animals into cyborgs/chimeras, purposefully destroying homes utilizing technology that projects focused bolts of lightning, and even taking part in the general corruption and brainwashing of the game's final boss, who..

.. is essentially so stricken with grief about what he did that he commits suicide..

.. so, no, Porky's tragic villain origins begin and end with Mother 2/Earthbound. If you still don't believe me that Porky's a genuine villain:

"...Huh? That monster's name is Claus (Masked Man)? Its name was Claus?! That almost sounds like a person's name! But now it's my robot. Not even a fragment of life remains inside it. It's Master Porky's slave robot! It does whatever I say! It acts on my will alone. It's my double. It doesn't know anything about who you are!" - Porky Minch, Mother 3

The motivations are different for each villain represented or potentially represented.

Ridley is a villain because he kills indiscriminately and does so because he thinks everything else to be inferior.
Ganondorf is a villain because he persists as a genuinely evil force in his canon as an embodiment of hate.
Porky is a villain because everything he does in Mother 3 is simply because he can.
Porky's a villain, he's just not nearly as "bad to the bone" as Ridley or Ganondorf.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
But SPIDER GUARDIAN was on top of my wishlist right behind one of Armon Ritter's dolphins and Pix. :'(
You're better off waiting for Project M then. :troll:

Changing the subject, I've finally gotten to Omega Ridley in Metroid Prime 3 Corruption, and he isn't as bad as I thought he would be. His new theme is really cool though.

I'm also going to fight NES Ridley to prepare myself for E3.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Eugh.

Anyway, speaking of gross things, Ridley detractors. Apparently Sakurai was just hyping up Ridley as a boss by... deliberately showing the most boring part of Ridley being a boss.

... Is Sakurai hyping anything up, or isn't he?

Staarih

Smash Master
Wait, page 789? I missed 777?

...ah well, 800 is right around the corner, no goal is impossible for the Ridley-thread!

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
View attachment 15646
Keep in mind that Ridley X is the largest incarnation of Ridley in the series.
Funny how the one-eyed guy is the second tallest and one of the least-menacing Metroid bosses I can think of. However, like everything else in Fusion, it hits really hard if it touches you. NOTHING is worse than Spider-****'s grab and slam attack though. 2 and a half energy tanks gone instantly AND you can't break out of it. :mad:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Nonono seriously let's reel this back a second. Someone explain to me how this scenario is supposed to work. This may be the second most ass-backwards thing I've heard a detractor say.

Supposedly, Sakurai is... hyping up Ridley as a boss despite the fact that what we have been given paints the image of a very poorly designed boss fight... And he gave us that ON PURPOSE, so we would think it was a very poor boss fight. Sakurai is HYPING UP Ridley as unplayable and a deliberately poorly designed boss?

This is what detractors are resorting to nowadays, everyone. This is worse than "Sakurai is catering to people who don't want Ridley to be playable". Excuses against Ridley have stopped involving size but have not stopped making literally no sense.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Nonono seriously let's reel this back a second. Someone explain to me how this scenario is supposed to work. This may be the second most ***-backwards thing I've heard a detractor say.

Supposedly, Sakurai is... hyping up Ridley as a boss despite the fact that what we have been given paints the image of a very poorly designed boss fight... And he gave us that ON PURPOSE, so we would think it was a very poor boss fight. Sakurai is HYPING UP Ridley as unplayable and a deliberately poorly designed boss?

This is what detractors are resorting to nowadays, everyone. This is worse than "Sakurai is catering to people who don't want Ridley to be playable". Excuses against Ridley have stopped involving size but have not stopped making literally no sense.
So, if I understand correctly, the argument is that Sakurai is hyping up a boss (not playable) Ridley by making it look like a poorly made boss, only to show us later that it's actually a well made boss?

Well, if that's the case... That's more of a stretch than saying Sakurai is teasing us with a playable Ridley that looked like a boss.

majora_787

Smash Hero
So, if I understand correctly, the argument is that Sakurai is hyping up a boss (not playable) Ridley by making it look like a poorly made boss, only to show us later that it's actually a well made boss?

Well, if that's the case... That's more of a stretch than saying Sakurai is teasing us with a playable Ridley that looked like a boss.
I really don't get it. Basic visual analysis is delusional stretching, but then we get things like:

- They just couldn't finish one stage hazard in 8 months!
- Sakurai is catering specifically to people who don't want Ridley playable!
- Sakurai is hyping up a largely requested character as a poorly made boss and will later surprise us with him being a well made boss!

These are all totally reasonable and in no way stretches of the imagination.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I really don't get it. Basic visual analysis is delusional stretching, but then we get things like:

- They just couldn't finish one stage hazard in 8 months!
- Sakurai is catering specifically to people who don't want Ridley playable!
- Sakurai is hyping up a largely requested character as a poorly made boss and will later surprise us with him being a well made boss!

These are all totally reasonable and in no way stretches of the imagination.
People just don't like changing their opinions on matters, really. If they believe one side of an argument to be delusional, then that side will always be delusional in their eyes. They'll keep thinking the other side is delusional even when their own arguments become bigger stretches than the "delusional" people.

I think that's just how people think.

Top Bottom