• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Character roster-wise this isn't the first Smash for the fans, in fact I find the character choices to listen too little to the fans' requests, with only Mega Man and Little Mac being big requests (I guess we can already fit Palutena in there too.) Brawl on the other hand included every highly requested newcomer at the time with the exception of Ridley, Geno and Krystal, the former two having reasonable explanations for not being included. Heck, they even went way out of their way to include Sonic only because of fan demand.

Sure, Nintendo is embracing competitive Smash and yadda yadda, but picks like WFT, Greninja and Rosalina (who was way less popular than Toad and Bowser Jr) really aren't fan-requested picks.

Also, do keep in mind that the roster was decided waaaay before Nintendo knew the Wii U would have such a hard time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

See, I think a big piece of evidence for Ridley is this. Smash 4 is the first Smash game made for fans, that is made to sell a console. In the past, we can admit, Sakurai was a little selfish. Purposefully ignoring fan requests because it's "his" game, which it is of course. And Nintendo would try to kill the Smash competitive community.

The failing of the Wii U is the best thing to ever happen to Nintendo fans. Nintendo is making progress with the three main points of game developers of the 21st century: Creating good online components, Listening to fans, and allowing content creators on the internet to promote Nintendo titles. The last one of which Nintendo still needs to work on.

In the past years Nintendo has done their own thing and been plain stupid to put it quite frankly. They're like the old man at the family get togethers that doesn't want to admit that smartphones have improved quality of life.

With the failure of the Wii U's launch. Nintendo had to make a plan. That plan was put into action this year in what I like to call "The Big 4 Plan". It's Nintendo's four big games/actions they are taking to address the changes in gaming of the 21st century (as addressed above) and save the Wii U. The Big 4 are as follows.

1) Virtual Console games on Wii U (Earthbound)

2) Mario Kart 8

3) Smash 4 (Nintendo's main focus)

4) Zelda

We're gonna focus on Smash obviously here. Nintendo is now having to listen to fans because of the Wii U doing lackluster. This is why he Wii U not doing good is great for us. Nintendo finally supports the competitive community and wants to make a game that people can play competitively as seen with the Invitational.

Obviously to sell Smash they need big characters that kids and adults will both enjoy for Nostalgia/Relevance/Coolness.

Now, who is the most requested character on the internet? Mii of course! But that's a different topic. /s

Now who is the BIGGEST requested character on the internet? Ridley. There is no way Nintendo does not know this. He is perfect for Smash and is one of the few characters that could sell Wii Us. Which is what Nintendo wants. They're not going to waste time with more JRPG swordsmen. They need unique characters. Ridley fits the nostalgia role for the older audience, and the coolness role for kids nowaday. "Woah man look at how sick this Purple Dragon is!"

TL;DR: Wii U failing and Nintendo listening is the biggest case for Ridley
What about the pure fan-service that Brawl was? Wario, Sonic, ZSS(in another meaning of fan-service), Pit, Pkmn Trainer, Diddt Kong, etc. Brawl was pure fan-service and the characters Sakurai wanted were shown after release(Wolf, ROB, Lucario, Toon Link)
EDIT: Greninja'd

Last edited by a moderator:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
What about the pure fan-service that Brawl was? Wario, Sonic, ZSS(in another meaning of fan-service), Pit, Pkmn Trainer, Diddt Kong, etc. Brawl was pure fan-service and the characters Sakurai wanted were shown after release(Wolf, ROB, Lucario, Toon Link)
EDIT: Greninja'd
I'm not saying this roster is fan service. But it's the one that NEEDS to be. Brawl included characters that needed to be in Smash that people knew would be in at some point. Big names like Wario, Diddy Kong, MK, Sonic were always meant to be in Smash and finally got in. Smash 4 needs characters that will make fans want to buy it.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Regardless of whether this is the first game to do so, Nintendo doesn't have a whole lot of really major characters they could or would add at this point. Ridley is one of the biggest frontrunners at this point.

D

Deleted member

Regardless of whether this is the first game to do so, Nintendo doesn't have a whole lot of really major characters they could or would add at this point. Ridley is one of the biggest frontrunners at this point.
The fact that you changed your avatar to Nephenee has made me love you. <3 :love:

D

Deleted member

How would you guys react if Ridley is raveled during the invitational? :awesome:
The same if he was revealed during the Direct, but I believe that it's best to announce him during the Invitational, I don't know why, I believe it isn't right for a simple reveal trailer

Nintendo Fan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer-Robert1498
3DS FC
3050-7577-7020
Well, at least to me, it seemed as though Sakurai announced Zero Suit Samus since there was no other viable Metroid character; it was as if he was saying that Ridley wouldn't work. And aside from I guess Fox (and Yoshi) being the only veteran without another representative [no clone announcements yet either i.e. C. Falcon brings Ganon with him] somebody had to be confirmed for one of Nintendo's oldest and biggest series. I'd be pretty shocked if he's announced, but then again I don't think they would have him playable at something like the invitational. At this rate it seems like there's going to be around 10 new characters and I feel like he is just pushing the roster...

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
How would you guys react if Ridley is raveled during the invitational? :awesome:
You mean the monday thing

Then like this, because of a huge suprise.

Then

(Definatly doing these and a whole bunch more when i find out ridley is revealed playable if im late or not.)

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Well, at least to me, it seemed as though Sakurai announced Zero Suit Samus since there was no other viable Metroid character; it was as if he was saying that Ridley wouldn't work.

What does one thing have to do with the other?

majora_787

Smash Hero
You mean they announced Zamus because there are no other Metroid characters, and not because they wanted Zamus to be in the game? And since when would Yoshi be a clone announcement? And the main antagonist of a major Nintendo franchise is "pushing the roster"?

EDIT: No offense but did anyone else have to read that whole thing more than once to get what they were saying?

Last edited:

Nintendo Fan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer-Robert1498
3DS FC
3050-7577-7020
What does one thing have to do with the other?[/quote]

Well Pit has been in two games and everyone wants Palutena. Let's face it: Metroid clearly has a greater fan base and it would have made sense to announce a Metroid character way earlier than when ZSS was. The lack of a recent game clearly had an effect on the title's promotion (take Starfox for example; plus they could've already fixed the clone problems I announce another character).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, at least to me, it seemed as though Sakurai announced Zero Suit Samus since there was no other viable Metroid character; it was as if he was saying that Ridley wouldn't work. And aside from I guess Fox being the only veteran without another representative [no clone announcements yet either i.e. C. Falcon brings Ganon with him; Yoshi doesn't really count] somebody had to be confirmed for one of Nintendo's oldest and biggest series. I'd be pretty shocked if he's announced, but then again I don't think they would have him playable at something like the invitational. At this rate it seems like there's going to be around 10 new characters and I feel like he is just pushing the roster...
How does ZSS hurts Ridley's chances? If we're going by this, Rosalina shouldn't be in and Mewtwo would be deconfirmed :p

majora_787

Smash Hero
What on earth does Pit have to- What???

We've had Yoshi, clones, Zero Suit Samus, and Pit *ALL* roped into an excuse as to why Ridley won't be playable?

D

Deleted member

Well Pit has been in two games. Let's face it : Metroid clearly has a greater fan base and it would have made sense to announce a Metroid character way before when ZSS was. The lack of a recent game clearly had an effect on the title's promotion (hello Starfox; could've already fixed the clone problem).
Ok, now, I'm confused

Kirbizard

Smash Cadet
Well, at least to me, it seemed as though Sakurai announced Zero Suit Samus since there was no other viable Metroid character; it was as if he was saying that Ridley wouldn't work.
I get what you're saying, I'd have thought Ridley would be a bigger priority over Samus #2. When you think of it like that, it seems like he's scraping the barrel for series reps, but I don't think that's what he was implying at all.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It's more likely that Sakurai was a fan of Zero Mission and really wanted to include the Zero Suit form in Smash somehow.

About Ridley, well, according to the game's files, he was almost going to be an Assist Trophy.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Though really, not being in previous Smash Bros. games isn't exactly the best grounds for saying they won't be playable. I mean, that's literally shattered with every game we get. Even if we got Zero Suit Samus first, it doesn't mean we won't get Ridley now or in the future. Sakurai seems very intent on making strange things happen in this game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
There's nothing that says it'd make more sense to announce Ridley before ZSS. ZSS wasn't announced because she's a Metroid character, she was used to showcase the fact that transformations are gone. Plus she's a veteran, no veterans affect potential newcomers' chances, at least not in regards to when they were announced.

If you're refering to all the way back in Brawl, then yeah, that was a doofus move on Sakurai's part.

Last edited:

Nintendo Fan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer-Robert1498
3DS FC
3050-7577-7020
How does ZSS hurts Ridley's chances? If we're going by this, Rosalina shouldn't be in and Mewtwo would be deconfirmed :p
Exactly my point. Put yourself in Sakurai's position and find the most “fit” characters to include. We've clearly seen some huge mistakes on Nintendo's part in past games so I guess at this rate it doesn't really matter whether or not Ridley is confirmed. Personally, I'd like to see him in the game. To wrap my mind around the possibility of that happening though...you can only hope for “the best”

Reila

Well Pit has been in two games. Let's face it : Metroid clearly has a greater fan base and it would have made sense to announce a Metroid character way before when ZSS was. The lack of a recent game clearly had an effect on the title's promotion (hello Starfox; could've already fixed the clone problem).
Hmm no. In fact, it makes sense to reveal Zamus (a veteran) before announcing a newcomer (Ridley or any other Metroid character). You got it backwards.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ridley's altered proportions and massively decreased size seem to indicate they tried pretty hard on some level to make it work, if nothing else.

GAMERG0D

Smash Rookie
Not that I need to tell you guys this but if Ridley is not at the Digital Event, we still have the tournament and developer roundtable so don't fret if we don't see him immediately.

Reila

...would they reveal a character in the roundtable? I don't think so.

A reveal in the tournament could happen. I mean, Wii Fit Trainer wasn't revealed in the Direct, after all.

Last edited:

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
I am very confused now. What's this about Pit and stuff relating to Ridley's chances of being playable? Being gone for a few pages doesn't help.

A reveal in the tournament could happen. I mean, Wii Fit Trainer wasn't revealed in the Direct, after all.
You never know. After all, Sakurai.:troll:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
What does one thing have to do with the other?
Sakurai's reasoning for adding ZSS was for the reason of basically padding out the Metroid roster. http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/05/31/sakurais-smash-bros-update

I put Zero Suit Samus in thinking I wanted to include more characters from the popular Metroid series. Also, since Smash Bros. has few female characters, I was quite happy to include her.
I don't think that really paints a pretty picture for Ridley. After all, if you were going to add another Metroid character besides Samus, wouldn't you of picked that character who has been her most noteworthy and prominent adversary for decades?

In other words, ZSS's inclusion heavily implies to me that Sakurai didn't (and still doesn't) see Ridley as a practical choice, but still felt Metroid deserved another character, so another form of Samus was the best he could come up with, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

They revealed Pokemon X and Y stuff during its roundtable last year

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Sakurai's reasoning for adding ZSS was for the reason of basically padding out the Metroid roster. http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/05/31/sakurais-smash-bros-update

I don't think that really paints a pretty picture of Ridley. After all, if you're going to add another Metroid character besides Samus, wouldn't you of picked that character who has been her most noteworthy and prominent adversary for decades?

In other words, ZSS's inclusion heavily implies to me that Sakurai didn't (and still doesn't) see Ridley as a practical choice, but still felt Metroid deserved another character, so another form of Samus was the best he could come up with, I'm afraid.
That was Brawl. This is Sm4sh. Zamus wasn't added to this, she was just brought back as a vet with some alterations. Different scenario.

GAMERG0D

Smash Rookie

What I meant by that is if he is not shown in any capacity, a journalist can ask about Ridley and we may or may not learn of his status then.

D

Deleted member

I don't think that really paints a pretty picture for Ridley. After all, if you were going to add another Metroid character besides Samus, wouldn't you of picked that character who has been her most noteworthy and prominent adversary for decades?

If you're going by that, no other Metroid character should be included, besides, Sakurai changes his mind(Villager) and it's possible he didn't know how people wanted Ridley

EDIT:
Wasn't Pokémon X & Y revealed in the February/2013 Nintendo Direct (Or was it January)?
"stuff", they revealed more information during it

Nintendo Fan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer-Robert1498
3DS FC
3050-7577-7020
I feel if Sakurai doesn't announce someone like Ridley at E3 then the chances of te round table are slim. Yet based off of what does happen, there might be a sudden incentive to have had made that move and could ultimately lead to such a turnout at the round table.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
That was Brawl. This is Sm4sh. Zamus wasn't added to this, she was just brought back as a vet with some alterations. Different scenario.
Sakurai might change his opinions on things like Villager, but that doesn't mean he'll change his opinions on other things. My point is, Sakurai already feels that Metroid has gotten another character besides Samus, and probably isn't in a hurry rush to add another Metroid newcomer, especially when it's apparent that Sakurai most likely sees Ridley as a boss character and not much more.

If you're going by that, no other Metroid character should be included,
The problem with Metroid, as far as playable SSB characters go, is that the series only really has one practical, important character, that being Samus. With Metroid essentially being a series about isolation, either every one else is a giant monster like Ridley or an insignificant, one-off character like the MPH/3 hunters or Anthony Higgs.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
There's quite the difference between revealing small tidbits and general information about the game, and completely skipping a trailer for a newcomer by just saying "Oh yeah, he's in, no worries."

D

Deleted member

Sakurai might change his opinions on things like Villager, but that doesn't mean he'll change his opinions on other things. My point is, Sakurai already feels that Metroid has gotten another character besides Samus, and probably isn't in a hurry rush to add another Metroid newcomer, especially when it's apparent that Sakurai most likely sees Ridley as a boss character and not much more.

The problem with Metroid, as far as playable SSB characters go, is that the series only really has one practical, important character, that being Samus. With Metroid essentially being a series about isolation, either every one else is a giant monster like Ridley or an insignificant, one-off character like the MPH/3 hunters or Anthony Higgs.
I think this discussion is useless since the roster is finished at this point and we have a clip of a Bowser-sized, Ganondorf-speed and Player-like movements of Ridley

Reila

Yeah... okay then.

Nintendo Fan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer-Robert1498
3DS FC
3050-7577-7020
I agree with your idea as well, but I think there could be another slot for one of Nintendo's well-known franchises. I mean we're looking at 5-6 characters for the Mario and Zelda ones, and Metroid isn't that far off in the distance as to not make such a move. Who knows, watch us get the most far-fetched Metroid “character” like an enemy or something (99.9% chance of not happening).

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
You're assuming too much. Ridley started as a minor cameo in the first game, then a trophy/appearance in opening cutscene, then planned as an assist for Brawl, then two Boss Battles in that game. Each game, his role grows. My point is that you can't say for sure Sakurai didn't change his mind. Another thing, while I can't find the article right now, Sakurai's opinion on Villager and Ridley was very different. He said Villager wouldn't make a good fighter. He now is playable with a unique moveset. Ridley, however, was stated, by him, as being difficult to design as a fighter, but not impossible.

Also: I didn't mention Villager. Zoroarking did.

Last edited:
Top Bottom