• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I hacked through the shrubbery to extract this

This is extremely accurate of me. I want Ridley to be in the game and I don't want to get my hopes up. And I see a ton of people who are doing just that. It's a win/win. Ridley not being in the game is my honest opinion. I think he's out. Boom.

That's why I can comfortably bet my account like this. If I get banned, so what? Ridley's in the game. Do I care about this message board account so much? If I win the bet, then hopefully I forced some sense into people who ignored the obvious.

And honestly, arguing Ridley's likelihood is just pure futility. There's no point. If a director of game shows you Ridley and references that there will be other boss characters and your reaction is 'Ridley IS playable!' then I know there is no purpose in going against a mind that is already made up so stubbornly.
I have no problem with this
"Ridley not being in the game is my honest opinion. I think he's out. Boom."

I have a problem with this
"arguing Ridley's likelihood is just pure futility"
"hopefully I forced some sense into people who ignored the obvious"

That's where you cross the line from decent board-goer to ashole. That's where you talk as if you have foreknowledge of the game. Just because you don't care about your account here doesn't mean you aren't being an ashole.

Here's my problem with you. You aren't just comfortably betting your account. You're throwing out any shred of dignity you might have had on these boards by hiding behind the threat of betting an account. And for what? To cause pointless damage on this thread? To try and mess with people, so you can feel better? To further drown any hope you had left? You can't handle loss, so you choose to never live in the first place, and try to drag as many down with you as you can.

I apologize for the "shrubbery". I just get pissed off when people attack me personally, my friends. and our views. And Ridley's playability is not factored into that previous statement. I don't give a damn about that in the scheme of things. Jerks piss me off, however. If you can't compose yourself like a decent human being, I'm going to further ignore you, and I implore the rest of the thread to do the same.

Morbi

Scavenger
Unfortunately, Boss Ridley looks like he will be rather slow moving, so he might not be that interesting as a boss...
But of course, it is difficult for me to give my true thoughts as I am presuming him to be playable. However, my thoughts on Boss Ridley will come once I actually play the game. So I cannot accurately discern how I would hypothetically feel. It is more about the notion that his role would be what excites me.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
I'm not excited about the idea of boss hazards, they are stage hazards that you can kill, Did Sakurai hyped the AT so much in brawl? those are a more interesting concept but I'm not sure they were as hyped as this

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Unfortunately, Boss Ridley looks like he will be rather slow moving, so he might not be that interesting as a boss...
Well, the thing is, bosses need to be slow and telegraphed in the fight, else it's going to get WAY more chaotic than the average Smash match should be, else no-one's going to play those levels to avoid the interruptions.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm not excited about the idea of boss hazards, they are stage hazards that you can kill, Did Sakurai hyped the AT so much in brawl? those are a more interesting concept but I'm not sure they were as hyped as this
Not really. They just kind of cape up, and people got interested and mildly concerned.

EDIT: No. I don't mean slow as in because he's a boss and needs to telegraph. He is moving at such a slow speed, I am pretty sure any character could out-maneuver him very easily. Especially with platforms.

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Boss characters weren't really hyped that much though, Sakurai mostly just mentioned almost as an aside how the Yellow Devil works and showed Ridley's shadow coincidentally with words saying there would be more, but I'd prefer to ignore that last part because Ridley. I don't even think they were mentioned after that in a pic of the day.

majora_787

Smash Hero
They weren't.

But no, seriously. Get a mega mushroom and play as Pikachu on a large stage against Ganondorf or something and move at most by using Pikachu's half-walking speed. No dodge rolling or running. It's a ridiculously avoidable speed to be moving around or attacking at. Brawl bosses were much more mobile while still not being impossible.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Yeah, the bosses in the previous game often just stayed in 2 or 3 places, but when they moved, they moved FAST.

Pretty much the only exception to that was Porky. And he compensated by being slow when moving.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Yeah, the bosses in the previous game often just stayed in 2 or 3 places, but when they moved, they moved FAST.

Pretty much the only exception to that was Porky. And he compensated by being slow when moving.
Even then Porky's movement was still a problem cause the thing he was riding in was gigantic and he outright hurt you by moving.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Bosses were my favorite addition to Brawl, and the only thing out of the SSE mess that I really liked. As such, I am excited for stage bosses, as they allow bosses to stay in the game without having the development sink a story mode is, and allow for the potential return of Boss Battles (though I do fear that won't be as good and elaborate as the Brawl bosses were).

With that said, slotting a legitimate and extremely popular character like Ridley as a boss again instead of a playable character would be really bull**** (especially with the size nerf), and a waste of a unique and potentially great addition to the playable cast.

majora_787

Smash Hero

Not only that, but it was always really dangerous to move to either side of him at any point in the fight. Since touching him or being above him was generally bad.

But this, unless Ridley's attacks are borderline unavoidable, fast characters with projectiles will breal that boss so hard it's not even remotely funny.

EDIT: Thanks to you looney toons I have more likes than I do posts now. :p

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Even then Porky's movement was still a problem cause the thing he was riding in was gigantic and he outright hurt you by moving.
Not really, he only has one explicit move that would hurt you by walking (his normal walk has no hitboxes), and that walking attack would only hit if you were grounded (leaving him very vulnerable to aerial assaults).

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Exactly. He was slow, but a big enough target to be a problem. (Also, I'm pretty sure his mech was MUCH smaller in MOTHER 3)

Ridley however? He's not only slow and choppy, but TINY as well.
Like, THIS is how huge he can possibly be within reason.

groupshot two rids copy.png

Last edited:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Had anyone actually seen people excited about the idea of boss hazards? I have gone to youtube, gamefaqs, etc and so far I haven't read anything like "Bosses are getting me excited" if Sakurai is trying to hype a boss ridley then he is doing a bad job
I loved most of the boss characters in Brawl, specifically Petey Piranha (who I think would also be a good character, but I don't feel like there's much support for him), Rayquaza, and obviously the Ridley and Meta Ridley fights. I feel like if he stays as a boss, Sakurai feels that's his max potential, which is a shame to him, his character, and the Metroid series. I don't look at boss fights as exciting, because they'd be more exciting in their respective series. If Ridley was a boss again, it would hurt his chances a lot but there's no knowing until E3. If there's no mention of the stage or him though, I'm gonna assume he's a boss again since E3 really should be where Sakurai brings out the big guns.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
I have no problem with this
"Ridley not being in the game is my honest opinion. I think he's out. Boom."

I have a problem with this
"arguing Ridley's likelihood is just pure futility"
"hopefully I forced some sense into people who ignored the obvious"

That's where you cross the line from decent board-goer to ashole. That's where you talk as if you have foreknowledge of the game. Just because you don't care about your account here doesn't mean you aren't being an ashole.

Here's my problem with you. You aren't just comfortably betting your account. You're throwing out any shred of dignity you might have had on these boards by hiding behind the threat of betting an account. And for what? To cause pointless damage on this thread? To try and mess with people, so you can feel better? To further drown any hope you had left? You can't handle loss, so you choose to never live in the first place, and try to drag as many down with you as you can.

I apologize for the "shrubbery". I just get pissed off when people attack me personally, my friends. and our views. And Ridley's playability is not factored into that previous statement. I don't give a damn about that in the scheme of things. Jerks piss me off, however. If you can't compose yourself like a decent human being, I'm going to further ignore you, and I implore the rest of the thread to do the same.
You took that WAY too far. I said numerous times I have no foreknowledge. I didn't attack you personally. I didn't attack anyone personally. I explicitly labelled everything I said as 'my opinion'. I came in here offering a simple account bet. I didn't say it in an inflammatory way, I didn't insult anyone, I even expressed that I shared the same desire. I was literally laughed at, mocked, called a troll, etc. When I respond to the mockery and hostility in kind, now I'M the ashole. And if I had to guess, more because of my opinion itself than the presentation. This is a two-way street. They may be your friends but they're no less at fault than me. Is it basically just a Ridley circle jerk thread? If I say anything bad about Ridley or that he probably isn't in the game, I'm trolling, I'm being a jerk, I'm 'trying to mess with people so I can feel better', etc. It's shocking to me that dissent warrants such a reaction.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ugh, this coming Monday is going to be the longest day I've ever had to suffer through. :c

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ugh, this coming Monday is going to be the longest day I've ever had to suffer through. :c
We're already nearly through Friday surprisingly enough. We just have the weekend, and monday. Then we can be distracted by E3 through tuesday until the SSB4 stuff that evening. And after that, the farther west you live the more news you'll get from the demo, because that'll be happening.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Okay, Salt, enlighten me using cold hard truths that Ridley is 100%, beyond doubt, not a playable dude and we're wasting our time. No speculation, no implications, actual images and or videos and or Sakurai stating, using Ridley's name that he's a boss. I will gladly eat my humble pie.

Can you? I think not! The only thing that we know of Ridley is he has a shadow. Wheeeeeee! That's so bloody concrete I could loose a rib! We have the throwaway statement made, but invariably, that's about as vague as saying "Ridley is a character, but we're not telling you if he's playable or not."

I personally don't care for shadow comparisons sense materials are so easily distorted, but Ridley's chance is roughly 50, regardless of anything. Implications do not mean anything.

As for boss battles, I have the feeling of every boss battle ever: It better be damn epic, or I'm gonna get pissed. Like the Diadect from Halo 4? That was piss poor.

Shao Khan from MK? That was a damn tough boss!

Speaking of which, Shao Khan was a boss and a character. Not sure if it's a fair comparison, but it's one.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
You took that WAY too far. I said numerous times I have no foreknowledge. I didn't attack you personally. I didn't attack anyone personally. I explicitly labelled everything I said as 'my opinion'. I came in here offering a simple account bet. I didn't say it in an inflammatory way, I didn't insult anyone, I even expressed that I shared the same desire. I was literally laughed at, mocked, called a troll, etc. When I respond to the mockery and hostility in kind, now I'M the ashole. And if I had to guess, more because of my opinion itself than the presentation. This is a two-way street. They may be your friends but they're no less at fault than me. Is it basically just a Ridley circle jerk thread? If I say anything bad about Ridley or that he probably isn't in the game, I'm trolling, I'm being a jerk, I'm 'trying to mess with people so I can feel better', etc.
I quoted your first post here when I started my counter argument. I told you that I was not defending all members here, and that you definitely have the right to argue actual opinions. You replied to a different part of that post. Allow me to quote my "shrubbery"

"Now, I know you have a legitimate beef to pick with some members of the thread. they hear anything anti-Ridley, and show you the door. No, if you want to debate Ridley's playability, you've come to the right place. But you over generalize. Just because some members on this thread are unreasonable doesn't mean we all are. And while ignoring anti-Ridley arguments is wrong, thats not what started this. People ignored you because you talked down to everybody here at once, with no provocation. "

Here's re the comments that sparked my ire

"Ridley is 100% not going to be playable in this game. I'm willing to bet my account on it."

"Because if there's anyone who needs to have some sense talked into them and to have their expectations brought down from the moon, it's the visitors of this thread"

I already completely argued this out in my original post. I am not mocking you. I am not calling you a troll. I am not defending the circlejerk that often occurs in this thread. I am calling you out for acting like an ashole, for generalizing a large group of people, and for talking down to and generally telling that group that their opinions have no merits.

"And honestly, arguing Ridley's likelihood is just pure futility"

I am part of that group, and a lot of people I consider friends.

To you, I may seem to be blowing this out of proportion, but douchbaggery pisses me off, and I don't generally stand for it.

Morbi

Scavenger
You took that WAY too far. I said numerous times I have no foreknowledge. I didn't attack you personally. I didn't attack anyone personally. I explicitly labelled everything I said as 'my opinion'. I came in here offering a simple account bet. I didn't say it in an inflammatory way, I didn't insult anyone, I even expressed that I shared the same desire. I was literally laughed at, mocked, called a troll, etc. When I respond to the mockery and hostility in kind, now I'M the ashole. And if I had to guess, more because of my opinion itself than the presentation. This is a two-way street. They may be your friends but they're no less at fault than me. Is it basically just a Ridley circle jerk thread? If I say anything bad about Ridley or that he probably isn't in the game, I'm trolling, I'm being a jerk, I'm 'trying to mess with people so I can feel better', etc. It's shocking to me that dissent warrants such a reaction.
I do agree with your sentiment, he took it much too far. I was not present for anything; however, I did read your posts pertaining to the situation at hand and you have not done anything that should incite such a reaction.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
I actually have an exam on monday and tuesday... At least I'll be not doing an exam in time for the direct I guess
EDIT: damn the original version of this post was redundant lol.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
It'll be weird. If I remember right, the SSB4 stuff is after the tournament, which is like... 4pm PT? Something like that? Or was it 6pm PT? Moral of the story is, it'll be pretty late for a number of people when Smash Bros. stuff comes up. Tuesday will be a wild day.

Last edited:

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
I do agree with your sentiment, he took it much too far. I was not present for anything; however, I did read your posts pertaining to the situation at hand and you have not done anything that should incite such a reaction.
Thanks for the support. I'll gonna bow out of this thread now. Good luck with your Ridley bet, sincerely. In a weird, weird way I hope I won't be able to congratulate you through self-banishment.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
If a director of game shows you Ridley and references that there will be other boss characters and your reaction is 'Ridley IS playable!' then I know there is no purpose in going against a mind that is already made up so stubbornly.
This is the closest thing to an argument that you have posted, and is rapidly defeated by the fact that Sakurai didn't show nor name Ridley directly. Can't you see the ambiguity?
And is clear that you didn't read the shadow analysis in this thread.

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-ridley-for-ssb4-thread-ridleytalk.324284/page-637#post-16728288

You can't win an argument with an opinion. And now you're taking a defensive stance, when you were the one who begins all this with quotes like "hopefully I forced some sense into people who ignored the obvious"

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
800 pages before E3 is starting to look like a very real possibility.

Morbi

Scavenger
Thanks for the support. I'll gonna bow out of this thread now. Good luck with your Ridley bet, sincerely. In a weird, weird way I hope I won't be able to congratulate you through self-banishment.
It is not an issue; I certainly labor a disdain when users single out a user that has done nothing to deserve such provocation. Good luck to you as well, good sir. Perhaps we might meet again when the Ridley thread is not so tense.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I am part of that group, and a lot of people I consider friends.

To you, I may seem to be blowing this out of proportion, but douchbaggery pisses me off, and I don't generally stand for it.
We... We can be friends man? I'm down. Ridley bros till the end. Connor and Samusrules, the ultimate Ridley supporting crime stopping buddies from outer space.

D

Deleted member

It'll be weird. If I remember right, the SSB4 stuff is after the tournament, which is like... 4pm PT? Something like that? Or was it 6pm PT? Moral of the story is, it'll be pretty late for a number of people when Smash Bros. stuff comes up. Tuesday will be a wild day.
The tournament is scheduled for 4 pm PT and the Q&A is scheduled for 7:00 pm PT and will run to 8:30 pm PT.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
We... We can be friends man? I'm down. Ridley bros till the end. Connor and Samusrules, the ultimate Ridley supporting crime stopping buddies from outer space.
Well this is awkward

when I said that, I was actually including everyone in this thread except you...

D

Deleted member

Go play some games. I am having my butt kicked in Street Fighter 4 to pass time.
Well I have weightlifting, tennis, a few unfinished 3DS games, dogsitting, SSBB data collection, and Ridley moveset tweaking to do so I guess my weekend won't be incredibly boring.

Top Bottom