• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
I am sacrificing myself as a martyr. If Ridley is not playable, no one is going to regret it more than I. So take inspiration from that! You will never be as disappointed as the ******* with the Scorpion avatar!
That's probably true. I already suffered maximum roster disappointment from Brawl when literally no characters I wanted made it on the roster. Except for like. Wario. :p

But I bounced back from this, so I'm pretty sure I can handle being wrong about this. I just seriously doubt that I am.

EDIT: This is reminding me of the Phantom. It was SO OBVIOUS that Phantom was an assist trophy, and I was just in denial of the facts thinking it was a Zelda move. Sure sucks I was wrong about- Oh. I wasn't? Huh. :p

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, we have two opposing people saying Ridley is either a guarantee or impossible, and are betting their accounts on Ridley's playability?

Well, this should be interesting.

Morbi

Scavenger
"I love you too" Samus descirbed
and then I stopped reading
It took you far too long to give up, far too long.

There's a chance that Sluggy the Unshaven is a boss character. A chance. I'm also willing to bet my account that he is not in the game as well.
Did you just compare Ridley to Sluggy the Unshaven?

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
It took you far too long to give up, far too long.

Did you just compare Ridley to Sluggy the Unshaven?
This reminds me of the guy who compared Kid Icarus' Medusa to a random cartoon character with no link to Nintendo games in terms of probability.

It's a pretty significant red flag that shows they're not worth listening to, probably. :p

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Ridley is 100% not going to be playable in this game. Maybe, MAYBE in some 'control the boss' format, but not as a regular fighter. I'm willing to bet my account on it.

I want him in badly, but he's not.
Because if there's anyone who needs to have some sense talked into them and to have their expectations brought down from the moon, it's the visitors of this thread.

And to those brushing me off or laughing at me... bet your account on it. Ridley is my most wanted character but I've accepted that Sakurai either doesn't know how or has some aversion to putting him in the game.
you're being foolish imo

we need sense talked into us? really? Ok Sakurai.

I'm not pretending to know if Ridley is playable or not. I, like you, really hope he is. I also have a horrible sneaking suspicion he isn't. But when you take a step back, remove yourself from the equation, and look at the facts, it really could go either way.

To have the gall to go anywhere on these boards, and say - "I'm sorry, but, there is no chance what you want to happen is going to happen" is downright douchbaggery. And sheer belief in yourself, enough to bet your account, is not an argument. And constantly crossing your own points, going from telling us you're playing the odds, that you don't really know; to get your hopes down, you guys have no idea what you're talking about.

Now, I know you have a legitimate beef to pick with some members of the thread. they hear anything anti-Ridley, and show you the door. No, if you want to debate Ridley's playability, you've come to the right place. But you over generalize. Just because some members on this thread are unreasonable doesn't mean we all are. And while ignoring anti-Ridley arguments is wrong, thats not what started this. People ignored you because you talked down to everybody here at once, with no provocation.

Want to have a real discussion about Ridley's playability? get off your high horse, and actually argue

here's my argument

Whenever somebody comes to this thread and says - "I want ridley as playable but it isn't going to happen"

I assume this. This person wants ridley playable. This person is afraid to get their hopes up and then be hurt. So this person takes the win/win route of preparing for the worst case scenario. If Ridley gets in, great! If he doesn't, told ya so.
Unfortunately, a subset of these people also feel personally threatened for some reason when they see other people's hope. They can't have real reasons for X character, that might get me to have actual hope, and open me to being hurt. Better make them see the truth, X character will NEVER be playable.

And the people in that situation are characterized by similar opinions. One of which is that Sakurai has a vendetta against Ridley/his fans. You've already made both these arguments, so in my mind, you are deep in this corner.

Here are the obnoxious claims you've made that only serve to disturb the peace, nothing more

"Ridley is 100% not going to be playable in this game. I'm willing to bet my account on it."

"Because if there's anyone who needs to have some sense talked into them and to have their expectations brought down from the moon, it's the visitors of this thread"

In your defense, here are some things you've said that I 100% agree with

"I'm not a troll. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make them a troll."
"My reasons are just guess though, to be honest"
"Support thread? I figured this was the de facto Ridley thread. All Ridley discussion"

Here are some actual arguments you've made, that I'd be willing to argue any of the with you. I don't claim to know the answers, but I disagree on most of the points.

"Sakurai either doesn't know how or has some aversion to putting him in the game"
"Ridley is a feral dragon"
"there are some ulterior reasons at this point?"
"Sakurai should be more forthright. He treats fans very poorly"

And I'm not willing to bet my account, because no, I am not sure Ridley is playable. I just don't whine about it to the people who are hopeful.

Morbi

Scavenger
...What is that, exactly? Is it some kind of Goomy plush?
I have no idea; however, I am fairly positive that I now comprehend why he was willing to bet his account. If I were to perceive Ridley comparable to some kind of Goomy plush, I would probably be absolutely certain that Ridley was not a playable character as well.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
There's a chance that Sluggy the Unshaven is a boss character. A chance. I'm also willing to bet my account that he is not in the game as well.
Wow, did you just compared Sluggy the Unshaven with Ridley. I can't longer take you seriously.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I have no idea; however, I am fairly positive that I now comprehend why he was willing to bet his account. If I were to perceive Ridley comparable to some kind of Goomy plush, I would probably be absolutely certain that Ridley was not a playable character as well.
This is why people don't want Ridley playable. They think he's a generic enemy with a first name who is a mini-boss in one Metroid game. :troll: It all makes sense now.

Last edited:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I like to think Metroid Prime along with the Melee intro is the catalyst for RIdley's popularity. Without them, we wouldn't be having this thread, or would otherwise be on the Mother Brain support thread, arguing she can totally work, like MODOK.

But with so much time spent on Ridley's growth and the idiotic PTSD scene, it gave Ridley more blatant characterization than the subtleties found in scans, manuals, and prequel mangas. Those with only a barest idea of Metroid can look at Other M and point out which creatures are just mindless reoccurring bosses and which creatures are true villains.
Admittedly, I love Metroid 2 but never saw the Queen Metroid as a recurring boss. That was awesome. On a popularity standpoint, I agree perfectly with you. Melee Intro+Prime is a big reason why he's so popular to the smash fanbase as a choice, not to mention the lack of Metroid characters in smash. I was merely pointing out that your point about him being a major character technically started with Super, being the Metroid fanboy that I so obviously am.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't trying to claim that Ridley and Sluggy had similar odds, I was illustrating that just because something has a "chance" of happening doesn't mean you bet the 'chance'.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I wasn't trying to claim that Ridley and Sluggy had similar odds, I was illustrating that just because something has a "chance" of happening doesn't mean you bet the 'chance'.
The key difference is that we know Ridley is somewhere in the game as either a boss or a playable character. We have no idea if Sluggy is even gonna be a trophy.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I feel like I should take up the mantle of "crazed cult leader when it comes to playable Ridley" again. Which is funny, because I didn't think Ridley had a chance before they unveiled Pyrosphere.

I'd give sweeping sermons, peppered with evidence and analyses to back my crazy claims.

D

Deleted member

No; Goomy is cute, Goomy is love, and Goomy is life. That is just some random slug that does not shave.

All bow and praise our lord and master.
Or face his inclement judgment:

One can only pity those that become targets of his unstoppable Dragon Rage:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I am pretty sure I would rather shave Ridley than shave a slug. One would get me killed, but... Wow I do not want to shave a slug. No.

Also, yeah. It's apparent now that Ridley is much more important to the series than before. With Other M, Ridley is I am pretty sure the only recurring character to appear in more than half of the entire franchise besides Samus. All of the other bosses still sit with between one and three appearances roughly.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Had anyone actually seen people excited about the idea of boss hazards? I have gone to youtube, gamefaqs, etc and so far I haven't read anything like "Bosses are getting me excited" if Sakurai is trying to hype a boss ridley then he is doing a bad job

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Had anyone actually seen people excited about the idea of boss hazards? I have gone to youtube, gamefaqs, etc and so far I haven't read anything like "Bosses are getting me excited" if Sakurai is trying to hype a boss ridley then he is doing a bad job
I think people are, at best, "eh, that's cool" about boss characters. I don't think anyone is particularly hyped for their inclusion in the game.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
I assume this. This person wants ridley playable. This person is afraid to get their hopes up and then be hurt. So this person takes the win/win route of preparing for the worst case scenario. If Ridley gets in, great! If he doesn't, told ya so.
I hacked through the shrubbery to extract this

This is extremely accurate of me. I want Ridley to be in the game and I don't want to get my hopes up. And I see a ton of people who are doing just that. It's a win/win. Ridley not being in the game is my honest opinion. I think he's out. Boom.

That's why I can comfortably bet my account like this. If I get banned, so what? Ridley's in the game. Do I care about this message board account so much? If I win the bet, then hopefully I forced some sense into people who ignored the obvious.

And honestly, arguing Ridley's likelihood is just pure futility. There's no point. If a director of game shows you Ridley and references that there will be other boss characters and your reaction is 'Ridley IS playable!' then I know there is no purpose in going against a mind that is already made up so stubbornly.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
I actually do like the idea of boss characters, I'd be disappointed if Ridley was one but the Yellow Devil was never going to be a playable character so it's cool that he's in the game in some form. Plus, there's the possibility of a classic mode with the boss characters being fought as bosses and not just stage hazards, like in Subspace Emissary (which by the way is also something only I seemed to like.)

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I think people are, at best, "eh, that's cool" about boss characters. I don't think anyone is particularly hyped for their inclusion in the game.
I am actually super hyped for the inclusion of boss characters. It is one innovation that I look forward to seeing in action. That will be my reward if Ridley is not playable, an amazing boss character!

D

Deleted member

Uh the inclusion of Stage Bosses is CLEARLY the best idea Sakurai ever had as an addition to the game.

Screw having an interesting and varied roster, fighting the Yellow Devil in a game that's not Mega Man? Best. Idea. EVEEER.

Stage Bosses make this game GOTY and GOAT, and no one would even touch this game without them, DUH.

:troll:

I'm so sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
So, we have two opposing people saying Ridley is either a guarantee or impossible, and are betting their accounts on Ridley's playability?

Well, this should be interesting.
I wonder how many people lost their accounts over just this very same thing back during the Brawl days?

I actually do like the idea of boss characters, I'd be disappointed if Ridley was one but the Yellow Devil was never going to be a playable character so it's cool that he's in the game in some form. Plus, there's the possibility of a classic mode with the boss characters being fought as bosses and not just stage hazards, like in Subspace Emissary (which by the way is also something only I seemed to like.)
I like the idea of bosses, too, but it doesn't make me THAT excited. It's a neat addition that can mix things up on some stages, but shouldn't be an excuse to throw out potentially playable characters, as if that's going to appease or excite anyone.

majora_787

Smash Hero
My issue is, if RIdley doesn't turn out playable, his small size and slow speed on a huge stage with platforms are shaping up to make him the exact opposite of an amazing boss appearance. :\ It's not like Brawl where it's like "Oh, Ridley isn't in but I guess we do have two cool boss battles." It's more like "Ridley isn't playable, but if you fight on Pyrosphere sometimes you'll see a bowser-sized Ridley slowly balloon across the stage and try to hug people."

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I am actually super hyped for the inclusion of boss characters. It is one innovation that I look forward to seeing in action. That will be my reward if Ridley is not playable, an amazing boss character!
Unfortunately, Boss Ridley looks like he will be rather slow moving, so he might not be that interesting as a boss...

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
If Ridley isn't playable, the actual Bossley would have to be something different from what was shown in the direct. But... Then where does that put us, exactly?

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I know the Ridley thread has seen many strange conversations over the last year or so, but shaving slugs? That's beyond bizarre, even by our standards.

Top Bottom