• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
Do you think implications are 'secret mind games that actually mean the opposite of what they're hinting at'? Because that's what a lot of people who think Ridley in the game seem to be under the impression of.
Do you not know that Sakurai is the master of Secret Mind games that actually mean the opposite of what they're hinting at?

Edit: And by this, I mean, Sakurai is very good at fooling people.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Do you think implications are 'secret mind games that actually mean the opposite of what they're hinting at'? Because that's what a lot of people who think Ridley in the game seem to be under the impression of.
I honestly don't know why you are loitering around here, making it abundantly clear that you care even more than WE do about whether Ridley is playable or not. When you came in here, we just disagreed with you. I'm letting you know, since you probably wouldn't realize if we didn't actually tell you, but you made yourself unwelcome here.

We're not here to play games with cocky children. We're here to speculate on a video game and hope one of our favorite characters becomes playable, an outcome which still has a chance.

You can either leave the thread, or we can just start putting you on our ignore lists and you can stay here and talk to yourself. Your choice.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
So... no one is confident enough to take me up. I think you know deep down that Ridley is a boss. That's fine. I won't come back to gloat or rub salt in the wounds when the inevitable happens.
Oh no, dear sir, I am not betting on the virtue that betting is a bad habit. I've already had one Smash Bros bet go wrong...

As for his actual chance, 73.82% at max, 50% at lowest. The Direct literally did almost nothing in terms of concrete evidence aside from piss me off that he disconfirms everyone but Ridley 100%.

Walugi? Get outta here!
Ashley? Pft, get in yer assit-case.
Wonder Red? Yer done.
Dillon? Outta here.
Kamek? Get on yer broom and stage hazard.
*insert one of the Sal leak characters please*? It's ogre for you.

Meanwhile, Ridley was implied to be a boss. In fact, the only way we know he exists is his shadow. It's like one of those horribly pixelated pictures of Bigfoot or something. He could be there, right? We just need more solid evidence.

*resist urge to make comment on Anime being a nerd... Looking at you, Majora...*

D

Deleted member

So... no one is confident enough to take me up. I think you know deep down that Ridley is a boss. That's fine. I won't come back to gloat or rub salt in the wounds when the inevitable happens.
Hey, I got you a present:

Since it seems you are on the brink of starting a conflict, I offer this to you so you can take it before things start to go sour.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Oh no, dear sir, I am not betting on the virtue that betting is a bad habit. I've already had one Smash Bros bet go wrong...

As for his actual chance, 73.82% at max, 50% at lowest. The Direct literally did almost nothing in terms of concrete evidence aside from piss me off that he disconfirms everyone but Ridley 100%.

Walugi? Get outta here!
Ashley? Pft, get in yer assit-case.
Wonder Red? Yer done.
Dillon? Outta here.
Kamek? Get on yer broom and stage hazard.
*insert one of the Sal leak characters please*? It's ogre for you.

Meanwhile, Ridley was implied to be a boss. In fact, the only way we know he exists is his shadow. It's like one of those horribly pixelated pictures of Bigfoot or something. He could be there, right? We just need more solid evidence.

*resist urge to make comment on Anime being a nerd... Looking at you, Majora...*
You're just mad because my avatar is a smug-looking pink-haired anime schoolgirl. Which I am pretty sure fits in very well with the Ridley thread. How does it not? Exactly.

Last edited:

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
I honestly don't know why you are loitering around here, making it abundantly clear that you care even more than WE do about whether Ridley is playable or not. When you came in here, we just disagreed with you. I'm letting you know, since you probably wouldn't realize if we didn't actually tell you, but you made yourself unwelcome here.

We're not here to play games with cocky children. We're here to speculate on a video game and hope one of our favorite characters becomes playable, an outcome which still has a chance.

You can either leave the thread, or we can just start putting you on our ignore lists and you can stay here and talk to yourself. Your choice.
Obviously this person is helping us reach our 800 page goal.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
You're just mad because my avatar is a smug-looking pink-haired anime schoolgirl. Which I am pretty sure fits in very well with the Ridley thread. How does it not? Exactly.
I ain't mad. I typed it wrong. I meant to type ", because I'm a nerd," but nevertheless, urge is being resisted...

I want an anime based completely on Ridley now...

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman

Ignoring the irony of 'we're not here to play games, we're here to TALK about playing games'...

I clearly DON'T care as much as you. I only have 16 posts in the last 3 years and I'm willing to bet my account it (not that brave to play on the odds of obvious logic, I suppose). No one's forcing you to respond to me. Ridley still has a chance. A chance. Which is different than claiming you're 70% or more that he is in the game. You guys have crossed from "speculation" to "guzzling our own Kool-Aid". But if that's the fantasy you want to live in, I'll let you have your remaining days in peace. Have fun

majora_787

Smash Hero
Obviously this person is helping us reach our 800 page goal.
Well, we can always ignore them and let them stick around and post things, and their posts will add to the total. :p

EDIT: Is this the point where someone puts Ridley's head on that ridiculously anime-looking thing from Attack on Titan to make an anime meme into a Ridley meme? I think this is that point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ignoring the irony of 'we're not here to play games, we're here to TALK about playing games'...

I clearly DON'T care as much as you. I only have 16 posts in the last 3 years and I'm willing to bet my account it (not that brave to play on the odds of obvious logic, I suppose). No one's forcing you to respond to me. Ridley still has a chance. A chance. Which is different than claiming you're 70% or more that he is in the game. You guys have crossed from "speculation" to "guzzling our own Kool-Aid". But if that's the fantasy you want to live in, I'll let you have your remaining days in peace. Have fun
Do you wanna bet your account? I don't want you to lose it

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Well, we can always ignore them and let them stick around and post things, and their posts will add to the total. :p
Good idea. btw, not sure if it's been mentioned yet (I can't be bothered to read 750 pages worth of posts) but Ridley's size has never been consistent. Compare http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Features/2010/08/Samus and Ridley/Finished/Metroid01--article_image.jpg to http://metroid.retropixel.net/games/metroid3/boss_ridley.gif and that one Ridley I can't find which is gigantic.
EDIT: never mind, I was thinking of mecha ridley. http://conglometroid.com/magazine/griever/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/ridleyzero.jpg is still pretty big though

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ridley's size isn't even consistent through Smash, considering he went from tiny background sprite to Samus' size to twice Bowser's size as a boss and then to Bowser's size again.

And if he became an anime character...

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I think Super Metroid started the trend because Ridley took THE BABY metroid and started your whole mission in that game. Then Prime has a similar encounter on a space station and you follow him to Tallon IV, which again, starts your whole journey. In both games, he's the second to last boss (done normally in Super) and he's already a major plot point. Other M made him a Pokemon and you weren't even really sure it was him until he showed up in the Pyrosphere and caused that whole mess. Then you didn't even kill him, but I digress. That's how I feel about the "Ridley is a major part of the series" bit.
I like to think Metroid Prime along with the Melee intro is the catalyst for Ridley's popularity. Without them, we wouldn't be having this thread, or would otherwise be on the Mother Brain support thread, arguing she can totally work, like MODOK.

But with so much time spent on Ridley's growth and the idiotic PTSD scene, it gave Ridley more blatant characterization than the subtleties found in scans, manuals, and prequel mangas. Those with only a barest idea of Metroid can look at Other M and point out which creatures are just mindless reoccurring bosses and which creatures are true villains.

Last edited:

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Do you wanna bet your account? I don't want you to lose it
Sure, if you're up for it! It's all in good fun. I mean hell, we're betting on a video game forum whether or not a purple dragon is playable. No one's losing their shirt over this. Unless we can arrange something with Zero Suit Samus...

D

Deleted member

I ain't mad. I typed it wrong. I meant to type ", because I'm a nerd," but nevertheless, urge is being resisted...

I want an anime based completely on Ridley now...
That gave me the idea that Ridley, Samus and friends should be in an anime that follows the lives of Ridley and Samus as they attend one of those cliche anime high schools (might be typical dress for Japanese schools, but oh well) where they wear uniforms and have daily misadventures and conflicts with each other.

PlasticBag

Smash Apprentice
Sure, if you're up for it! It's all in good fun. I mean hell, we're betting on a video game forum whether or not a purple dragon is playable. No one's losing their shirt over this. Unless we can arrange something with Zero Suit Samus...
I'll wager 50 cents.

majora_787

Smash Hero
That gave me the idea that Ridley, Samus and friends should be in an anime that follows the lives of Ridley and Samus as they attend one of those cliche anime high schools (might be typical dress for Japanese schools, but oh well) where they wear uniforms and have daily misadventures and conflicts with each other.
This is reminding me of an AWFUL high school Metroid fan fiction.

D

Deleted member

This is reminding me of an AWFUL high school Metroid fan fiction.
How bad was it?
Also, I think Kraid should be the headmaster and use sock puppets to pose as teachers for the classes.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Well, I'm going with @ Morbi Morbi because he was right about Toon Link and no more transformations, if he is confident as he was with the other two...

ppbto

Smash Journeyman

Funny thing, in your first post you said that:

Ridley is 100% not going to be playable in this game. Maybe, MAYBE in some 'control the boss' format, but not as a regular fighter. I'm willing to bet my account on it.

I want him in badly, but he's not.
And now you're saying that he has a chance.

D

Deleted member

:glare:, This fanfiction is pure trash, I'm also bothered by the fact that it broke canon in the first 3 lines. Also, how the hell would Ridley go about kissing Samus anyways?

Even if it wasn't a BAD break from canon with a cliched high school plot line, it would still be completely unenjoyable to me because of the 1st grade writing and dialogue. I mean, Samus calling Kraid "blubber brain," seriously? And then the fact that Kraid is defeated by this worse-than-pathetic 1st grade insult is even worse. Not to mention the fact that he says he will return but then simply makes no additional appearance within the segment (possible sabotaging the dance and Ridley's date with Samus?). Even something that cliched would be better than writing him in for an insignificant moment and then having completely disappear for the rest of the segment.

I'll say it again, this is utter trash, and if internet pages could be burned, this should've been burned the second it was posted.

Last edited by a moderator:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Reading the first four lines gave me a a pretty good idea of how bad that is.
Yep, that's a pretty good summary of the entire thing.

EDIT: Well just imagine a large scaly beak puncturing someone's face like a railroad spike. Except make it more romantic. That's basically it. I'd assume.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Apparently Ridley is to baig. That is the first time I have heard that one! :troll:
They meant he's too Braig. Little did you know, Ridley is a member of Organization XIII in his off hours.

Anyway, I agree with MA, though my belief that Ridley is playable isn't resting on your shoulders or anything. So no pressure. :B Any disappointment I get later is my own.

Morbi

Scavenger
They meant he's too Braig. Little did you know, Ridley is a member of Organization XIII in his off hours.

Anyway, I agree with MA, though my belief that Ridley is playable isn't resting on your shoulders or anything. So no pressure. :B Any disappointment I get later is my own.
I am sacrificing myself as a martyr. If Ridley is not playable, no one is going to regret it more than I. So take inspiration from that! You will never be as disappointed as the asshole with the Scorpion avatar!

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Funny thing, in your first post you said that:

And now you're saying that he has a chance.
There's a chance that Sluggy the Unshaven is a boss character. A chance. I'm also willing to bet my account that he is not in the game as well.

Top Bottom