• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
A better question is, why would you walk into the Ridley support thread to say "Ridley isn't going to be playable"? You can say that literally anywhere on this forum, but why would you choose to start that *HERE*?
Because if there's anyone who needs to have some sense talked into them and to have their expectations brought down from the moon, it's the visitors of this thread.

And to those brushing me off or laughing at me... bet your account on it. Ridley is my most wanted character but I've accepted that Sakurai either doesn't know how or has some aversion to putting him in the game.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
With all of the people joke-trolling to add pages, I'm not even sure when someone genuinely walks in here to troll us anymore. xD
To be honest, there isn't much more to talk about here. All we have to do is wait and post random stuff, until Tuesday. Or until a mod locks the thread.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Ridley is 100% not going to be playable in this game. Maybe, MAYBE in some 'control the boss' format, but not as a regular fighter. I'm willing to bet my account on it.

I want him in badly, but he's not.
We won't miss you.

Anyways, I think we need some music to celebrate the occasion.

EDIT: DAMN IT. It just happened to be the first post for page 778. :/

EDITED AGAIN: Oh, wait. Maybe not.

Last edited:

Reila

Because if there's anyone who needs to have some sense talked into them and to have their expectations brought down from the moon, it's the visitors of this thread.

And to those brushing me off or laughing at me... bet your account on it. Ridley is my most wanted character but I've accepted that Sakurai either doesn't know how or has some aversion to putting him in the game.
Okay, lets be serious here. Do you really think Sakurai doesn't know how to make Ridley playable? Maybe he doesn't WANT, but he certainly CAN make of Ridley a playable a character. If he can't, then he should take a few lessons from Capcom (arguably the best company at developing fighting games).

majora_787

Smash Hero

Seriously. You can be this salty and belligerent literally anywhere on this forum. *ANYWHERE* at all. And you choose to go to a character support thread to talk about how that character will not happen, and expect to be taken seriously? Do you know where I talk about how I never want to see Mii, Pac-Man, or Ghirahim anywhere near Smash? Literally *ANYWHERE AT ALL* except for their support threads. *ANYWHERE*.

So seriously, if you want to unzip and hit people with your pessimism stick, you really should take it somewhere else.

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728

:joyful:You should go to GameFAQs. Bet your account over a fictional character there. Knuckles___Chuckles_by_Hyper_sonicX.gif

majora_787

Smash Hero
The problem isn't you disagreeing with us. The problem is, you metaphorically walked into a sports bar and went off about how stupid sports are. You can disagree *EVERYWHERE ELSE* on this forum, but you explicitly chose to come disagree *HERE*.

If you don't want to be accused of trolling, don't literally seek people out to harass them about things you disagree with. It's not rocket science.

Last edited:

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Okay, lets be serious here. Do you really think Sakurai doesn't know how to make Ridley playable? Maybe he doesn't WANT, but he certainly CAN make of Ridley a playable a character. If he can't, then he should take a few lessons from Capcom (arguably the best company at developing fighting games).
Well, that's why I said either one. Maybe he really is torn about scaling him down, fitting his wings in, etc., but more likely I think he doesn't want some feral, violent parent killing beast in with the Smash Bros. roster. Maybe, tonally, he's sour on it. Between the background in Smash 64, the opening movie of Melee, not one but TWO boss fights in Brawl... Sakurai clearly recognizes his popularity; he'd be stupid to be blind to it. For him to be STILL missing from this game for 4... I feel there has to be something else to it. My reasons are just guess though, to be honest.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well, that's why I said either one. Maybe he really is torn about scaling him down, fitting his wings in, etc., but more likely I think he doesn't want some feral, violent parent killing beast in with the Smash Bros. roster. Maybe, tonally, he's sour on it. Between the background in Smash 64, the opening movie of Melee, not one but TWO boss fights in Brawl... Sakurai clearly recognizes his popularity; he'd be stupid to be blind to it. For him to be STILL missing from this game for 4... I feel there has to be something else to it. My reasons are just guess though, to be honest.
He's okay with a demon king from the depths of hell who manifests to actively hunt down and kill the families of the people who defeated him before he subjugates the earth under a reign of darkness though.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I honestly don't know what to say about Ridley's chances, but if I didn't believe in him anymore I wouldn't have came back here. Even if things seem dire, I think it's fun to talk about the qualities of our favorite characters and how well they would be suited to Smash.

I mean, you don't see me going into the Takamaru thread and saying that his chances of making it in are extremely low. I'd like for him to be playable, but at this moment I doubt his chances.

Also, Ridley is anything but feral.

Last edited:

Reila

We won't miss you.

Anyways, I think we need some music to celebrate the occasion.

EDIT: DAMN IT. It just happened to be the first post for page 778. :/
This bring back memories. I didn't know they put a Super Mario Bros. 2 music in 3D World.

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
Listen, by this point, the roster's done. Completely and utterly done. He would, at this point in time, have no trouble in scaling him down, or his wings, or "etc", It's either, he's a playable character, or he isnt.

Edit: The only characters he'd add in now are clones.

Last edited:

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a troll. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make them a troll.
If you're not a troll, do you care to elaborate an argument on why Ridley is 100% disconfirmed? Without using any opinionated arguments.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Listen, by this point, the roster's done. Completely and utterly done. He would, at this point in time, have no trouble in scaling him down, or his wings, or "etc", It's either, he's a playable character, or he isnt.
Though at this point it's pretty safe to say he HAS been scaled down, though that's an entirely independent issue from his playability.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Seriously. You can be this salty and belligerent literally anywhere on this forum. *ANYWHERE* at all. And you choose to go to a character support thread to talk about how that character will not happen, and expect to be taken seriously? Do you know where I talk about how I never want to see Mii, Pac-Man, or Ghirahim anywhere near Smash? Literally *ANYWHERE AT ALL* except for their support threads. *ANYWHERE*.

So seriously, if you want to unzip and hit people with your pessimism stick, you really should take it somewhere else.
Sorta reminds me of this one time I popped over to the Bandana Dee thread to give my two cents on his chances, and this one guy tears me a new one for comparing Bandana Dee to Toad and in general just raged at me because I DARED to think that Toad's chances were virtually nil. On the Bandana Dee thread.

(If you were curious, I gave Dee reasonable chances, but nothing that was a shoo-in)

Last edited:

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
He's okay with a demon king from the depths of hell who manifests to actively hunt down and kill the families of the people who defeated him before he subjugates the earth under a reign of darkness though.
Ganondorf still has a character beyond that. He can convey his humanity through dialogue. Ridley is a feral dragon.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
This is why I stay out of support threads where I don't fully support the character. :p

Plus if I'm going to be critical of a character I find it generally more polite to just leave it out of their support thread.

EDIT: You're entirely missing the point. Congratulations. Would you mind bringing it back?

Character does not matter much in Smash Bros. That is not what is particularly important here. And even then, to wave off Ridley's personality as a calculating military leader and somewhat of a narcissist displays extremely apparent bias.

Last edited:

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Support thread? I figured this was the de facto Ridley thread. All Ridley discussion. Am I really supposed to start a new thread?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Support thread? I figured this was the de facto Ridley thread. All Ridley discussion. Am I really supposed to start a new thread?
If you want to go start a thread about how Ridley has no chance in general discussion somewhere, go nuts. I'm not stopping you.

majora_787

Smash Hero
If I had to guess, about 80%? Seeing his very thorough resizing and just the deliberate ambiguity of it are making me lean playable, though he could be a boss. It'd just be... strange, to put a word on it.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Ganondorf still has a character beyond that. He can convey his humanity through dialogue. Ridley is a feral dragon.
First of all, why are you arguing character when we have Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Villager Charizard, and other flat/blank-slate characters?

Secondly, Ridley does have personality, it's just not as in-your-face and blatant. He is important enough to heed Mother Brain's call for reinforcements and land his mother ship on Zebes, is intelligent enough to build a robot in his image, bloodthirsty enough to be reassigned to as head of Security Force as Meta Ridley, and significant enough to be in nearly every game, whether through regeneration, cloning or cybernetics.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
Guys, so *if* Ridley is disconfirmed at E3, who are we going to pester to ask Sakurai his reasons for not making the most requested character in the world playable?

At the very least, we should leave E3 knowing Sakurai's real thoughts on Ridley.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't want to go higher than 80% until Demo day, but I'm "pretty confident" at this stage. :p

EDIT: If Ridley is deconfirmed I'll be disappointed in the missed opportunity for a unique and major playable character AND the ridiculously dumbed down boss, though I'll probably still get the game.

Last edited:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
So guys, how likely do you guys think Ridley is to summarise your opinions?
I'd say his chances are 'reasonable' or 'pretty good' or something along those lines. He's not 100% until he's actually shown as playable, but - unless Sakurai is either a complete jerk or just totally out of touch with people - all of this teasing *has* to mean something. (That and all of the shadow analyses and whatnot just points to him not being a boss, or being the most underwhelming boss.)

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
Seriously though, I'm going to tweet the hell out of every journalist covering Nintendo at E3 to ask about Ridley.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
The reasons why I'm hoping Ridley is playable is because the current roster and the leaks are just gross to me. There's not a single character i'm really looking forward playing as.

As for the leaks.

I never played fire emblem. Chrom looks like an ike clone. No thank you.

I'm getting tired of palutena. I never played a kid icarus game so i'm basing this of her looks. She looks ugly. No thank you.

Idk shulk/chorus man. But no thanks.

Mii and Pac-man?? God NO.

If Ridley get's confirmed I finally have a character I can look forward to. Fingers crossed..

Last edited:

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
This statement, just shows how little you know about the character.

Still waiting for a compiled argument about how Ridley is 100% disconfirmed, if you can't provide it then you're just a troll.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
First of all, why are you arguing character when we have Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Villager Charizard, and other flat/blank-slate characters?

Secondly, Ridley does have personality, it's just not as in-your-face and blatant. He is important enough to heed Mother Brain's call for reinforcements and land his mother ship on Zebes, is intelligent enough to build a robot in his image, bloodthirsty enough to be reassigned to as head of Security Force as Meta Ridley, and significant enough to be in nearly every game, whether through regeneration, cloning or cybernetics.
Those characters you listed have blank characters. I didn't say anything bad about blank characters... or anything at all for that matter. And tonally, they are all non-offensive/light-hearted. Charizard, the most "serious" of those listed characters is Barney the dinosaur compared to Ridley.

I'm not saying Ridley isn't smart. I'm familiar with Ridley's body of work. But as far as Smash is concerned, he's a mindless killing machine.

And again, let me reiterate: this is merely my opinion. I am not stating this as a matter of fact. After 4 games still no Ridley... is it so crazy suggest that there are some ulterior reasons at this point?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Before the unveiling of Pyrosphere? 0%

After several months of Pyrosphere pics without Ridley? 25%

After Little Mac's ascension? 75%

After the Direct? 100%

I'm sticking with my gut feeling that if a character is teased, they're all but confirmed. Some might disagree, but in hindsight, this view works wonders.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Bonus points if it interprets vague statements as facts, or uses statements which could be applied to Pikachu as condemning evidence.

Top Bottom