• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
This statement, just shows how little you know about the character.

Still waiting for a compiled argument about how Ridley is 100% disconfirmed, if you can't provide it then you're just a troll.
There's nothing I can say that will convince you. You and I both know that. I'm just saying don't get your hopes up.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
This statement, just shows how little you know about the character.
Speaking of Ridley's character, has he ever been shown as cunning or calculating in the games themselves? I've only really played Super Metroid and a bit of Prime, so I haven't experienced a great deal of Ridley.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
Ridley is 100% playable in some fashion. Sakurai isn't dumb enough to think people would be happy with the most requested character being a regular old boring boss.

Playable in the traditional sense? I'd put it at 70% right now.

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
Those characters you listed have blank characters. I didn't say anything bad about blank characters... or anything at all for that matter. And tonally, they are all non-offensive/light-hearted. Charizard, the most "serious" of those listed characters is Barney the dinosaur compared to Ridley.

I'm not saying Ridley isn't smart. I'm familiar with Ridley's body of work. But as far as Smash is concerned, he's a mindless killing machine.

And again, let me reiterate: this is merely my opinion. I am not stating this as a matter of fact. After 4 games still no Ridley... is it so crazy suggest that there are some ulterior reasons at this point?
Well, after 3 games we never got Lil' Mac. Reason? None. 4 comes around, Lil' Mac. Explain this for me.

majora_787

Smash Hero
There's nothing I can say that will convince you. You and I both know that. I'm just saying don't get your hopes up.
If you want us to not get our hopes up, tell Sakurai not to make Ridley the only character he teases like this (except maybe Palutena), and tell him to make Ridley bigger than Bowser. Then we won't get our hopes up.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The reasons why I'm hoping Ridley is playable is because the current roster and the leaks are just gross to me. There's not a single character i'm really looking forward playing as.

As for the leaks.

I never played fire emblem. Chrom looks like an ike clone. No thank you.

I'm getting tired of palutena. I never played a kid icarus game so i'm basing this of her looks. She looks ugly. No thank you.

Idk shulk/chorus man. But no thanks.

Mii and Pac-man?? God NO.

If Ridley get's confirmed I finally have a character I can look forward to. Fingers crossed..
Idk why, but playing as a Goddess in Smash is something I really want to happen. I agree with everything else you said, mainly the Chrom part.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well, Sakurai would have a way to make Chrom unique, and I guess Palutena would be alright with Medusa, but yeah leaks really just don't... do it for a lot of people.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
If you want us to not get our hopes up, tell Sakurai not to make Ridley the only character he teases like this (except maybe Palutena), and tell him to make Ridley bigger than Bowser. Then we won't get our hopes up.
Sakurai should be more forthright. He treats fans very poorly. But the onus to not get your hopes up about something, the OPPOSITE of which has been implied, is on you.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Sakurai should be more forthright. He treats fans very poorly. But the onus to not get your hopes up about something, the OPPOSITE of which has been implied, is on you.
Like I said. If you want us to not get our hopes up, tell Sakurai to stop being ambiguous, and tell him to make Ridley bigger than a playable character. :p Hell, tell him to take the lava hazard off of Pyrosphere too. We have enough of those.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Those characters you listed have blank characters. I didn't say anything bad about blank characters... or anything at all for that matter. And tonally, they are all non-offensive/light-hearted. Charizard, the most "serious" of those listed characters is Barney the dinosaur compared to Ridley.

I'm not saying Ridley isn't smart. I'm familiar with Ridley's body of work. But as far as Smash is concerned, he's a mindless killing machine.

And again, let me reiterate: this is merely my opinion. I am not stating this as a matter of fact. After 4 games still no Ridley... is it so crazy suggest that there are some ulterior reasons at this point?
You mean ONE game.

When Smash 64 was released, Ridley's role as an important character to be considered playable was on par with Kraid and Mother Brain. Ridley was a throwback boss, with some shades of Vile from Mega Man X, but nothing more.

When Melee was released, Super Metroid was still the basis for new stages and trophies. Ridley's importance was unchanged.

Now Brawl is where one could legitimately complain about Ridley's exclusion. The Metroid Prime Trilogy elevated Ridley from an NES throwback to a reoccurring boss with backstory, and Zero Mission helped explain Ridley's importance to Samus. But IMO, Ridley was still on the level of Gohma or Boom-Boom as a reoccurring boss.

Other M has passed, and as stupid as the game was, it elevated Ridley from a reoccurring boss into a major character, with a good chunk of the game devoted to talking about how dangerous Ridley is and how important it is to stop him. Ridley's importance to the series is now undeniable.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
If you make a claim saying that Ridley is 100% disconfirmed that means that you have undeniable proof. This is the only way one can have 100 % certainty about something, if you don't have it then your argument is flawed.

majora_787

Smash Hero
If you make a claim saying that Ridley is 100% disconfirmed that means that you have undeniable proof. This is the only way one can have 100 % certainty about something, if you don't have it then your argument is flawed.
It's always funny. Anti-Ridley people will sit around and claim certainties and 100%'s, and Pro-Ridley people will sit around with "Maybes" and "Probablies", but we're the delusional and crazy people. :p For not acting like ambiguous statements or even actual visual evidence add up to certainty.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Obviously I don't know with 100% certainty. But I'm willing to bet my account with 100% certainty. I'm betting the odds. But I notice no one cares to take me up on it. Might be a reason for that.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Obviously I don't know with 100% certainty. But I'm willing to bet my account with 100% certainty. I'm betting the odds. But I notice no one cares to take me up on it. Might be a reason for that.
The reason is we're not insane or conceited and are actually accepting the fact that anything can happen at this point, even if playability is more likely. Besides, we all know that this is a bet you only would enthusiastically uphold if you turned out right. And we don't play that game here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If you claim to have so much indeniable proof, show it, we'll stop believing in Ridley's chances then

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
The reasons why I'm hoping Ridley is playable is because the current roster and the leaks are just gross to me. There's not a single character i'm really looking forward playing as.

As for the leaks.

I never played fire emblem. Chrom looks like an ike clone. No thank you.

I'm getting tired of palutena. I never played a kid icarus game so i'm basing this of her looks. She looks ugly. No thank you.

Idk shulk/chorus man. But no thanks.

Mii and Pac-man?? God NO.

If Ridley get's confirmed I finally have a character I can look forward to. Fingers crossed..
I have the same thoughts...and I'm honest....(Well, Palutena doesn't look ugly...but she's pretty not important to me....)

Like I said before....I only wait for Ridley....not enyone else....

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
The reason is we're not insane or conceited and are actually accepting the fact that anything can happen at this point, even if playability is more likely. Besides, we all know that this is a bet you only would enthusiastically uphold if you turned out right. And we don't play that game here.
I will leave on my own. You can have a mod ban my account. I'm a man of my word... don't make excuses. If you're not confident, you're not confident.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ridley is Andrea's one true waifu.

EDIT: Confidence and mindless certainty with nothing holding it up are two different things. You sitting there with the latter really doesn't do you any favors here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ridley is the only newcomer I care for, the ones that would hype me have all been deconfirmed(Zoroark, Wonder-Red, Dillon), I don't think there would be a single newcomer I would like aside from Mega Man and Greninja, as long as I get Ridley, I don't care for how the roster turns out

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Ridley is Andrea's one true waifu.

EDIT: Confidence and mindless certainty with nothing holding it up are two different things. You sitting there with the latter really doesn't do you any favors here.
My....waifu???? :|

majora_787

Smash Hero
I have the implications of the game's director holding it up.
And we have basic observation skills, context, and visual evidence holding us up. One vague statement isn't much in comparison, but you can cling to whatever you want if you're so intent on 100% certainty in such a tenuous situation.

EDIT: Yes, Andrea. Your waifu. This just became one of THOSE animes.

Last edited:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
You mean ONE game.

When Smash 64 was released, Ridley's role as an important character to be considered playable was on par with Kraid and Mother Brain. Ridley was a throwback boss, with some shades of Vile from Mega Man X, but nothing more.

When Melee was released, Super Metroid was still the basis for new stages and trophies. Ridley's importance was unchanged.

Now Brawl is where one could legitimately complain about Ridley's exclusion. The Metroid Prime Trilogy elevated Ridley from an NES throwback to a reoccurring boss with backstory, and Zero Mission helped explain Ridley's importance to Samus. But IMO, Ridley was still on the level of Gohma or Boom-Boom as a reoccurring boss.

Other M has passed, and as stupid as the game was, it elevated Ridley from a reoccurring boss into a major character, with a good chunk of the game devoted to talking about how dangerous Ridley is and how important it is to stop him. Ridley's importance to the series is now undeniable.
I think Super Metroid started the trend because Ridley took THE BABY metroid and started your whole mission in that game. Then Prime has a similar encounter on a space station and you follow him to Tallon IV, which again, starts your whole journey. In both games, he's the second to last boss (done normally in Super) and he's already a major plot point. Other M made him a Pokemon and you weren't even really sure it was him until he showed up in the Pyrosphere and caused that whole mess. Then you didn't even kill him, but I digress. That's how I feel about the "Ridley is a major part of the series" bit.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
So... no one is confident enough to take me up. I think you know deep down that Ridley is a boss. That's fine. I won't come back to gloat or rub salt in the wounds when the inevitable happens.

majora_787

Smash Hero
O_O Now I'm really confused...
Haven't you seen enough Japanese animes to know where this is going?

EDIT: No, I don't mean husbando. I'm 100% aware of what I'm saying, and I meant waifu.

"So... no one is confident enough to take me up. I think you know deep down that Ridley is a boss. That's fine. I won't come back to gloat or rub salt in the wounds when the inevitable happens."

We're confident enough to take you up, but we're not overzealous morons. We're not going to gamble on a vague situation like this, because really? Why would we. All of the satisfaction we're going to get will be from Ridley being playable.

I think YOU are the one coming to a realization here. And the realization is that it's about time for you to step out of the Ridley support thread.

Last edited:

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
So... no one is confident enough to take me up. I think you know deep down that Ridley is a boss. That's fine. I won't come back to gloat or rub salt in the wounds when the inevitable happens.
Simply because no one cares about your bet, we're here to speculate not to bet.

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
So, aside from Omega Ridley/some other transformation, does anyone have any idea what his final smash might be?

Part of me was hoping he'd call in some space pirates, kind of like a less derpy version of DDD's original one, but I don't think that fits too terribly well.
For some reason I misread that Ridley would call some spacies, so I was imagining Ridley calling Fox and his friends to fight with him in their arwings

Top Bottom