• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
So you know he exists, but you don't quite understand what he does?
That's probably a more apt descriptor of myself than it is of him. :troll:

That's actually quite accurate, considering you have almost certainly never seen the inside of your own spleen.
I don't have to see my spleen to know its innermost geometry (though for the record, I have seen it, because I'm on the next level).

Likewise, I don't have to know what you look like to understand your innermost self (though for the record, I do know what you look like, because I spy on your dreams).

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
To think that we were once worried about reaching 666 pages before E3...
Page 777 reached before E3 confirmed.

And then we get a subforum just for Ridley. This thread dies slowly, giving birth to tons of 50 pages long thread proclaming Ridley as the new proof Sakurai loves his fans and is also an enormous troll trying to split the community.

Or this thread get locked cuz Ridley disconfirmed. :denzel: (Does it work like this ?)

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
Well, while supporters made a good point with their analysis leading to an almost correct size, I still use the words from Sakurai ; he said an enemy from Samus' past would appear at any moment while showing the stage. Now who is an enemy from her past ? Difficult to say since we don't know from which game we are supposed to take Samus ; other M ? After Ridley's last death ? I'm pretty sure it's still about Ridley. Which enemy is worth taking a potd AND the caracteristic of being an enemy from her past ? Wasnt one of the main points of Other M revealing a bit of Samus' past ?

And then I got trolled by Sakurai, who reveals Ridley playable, destroying my theory. :yoshi:
Well, Sakurai said "An Enemy from samus' past may appear at any second!" He never said "on the stage", SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Ridley not deconfirmed, m8.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
Well, I dunno. DK, Dedede, and Bowser can all talk and they just make weird noises with their noise holes. I wouldn't be surprised if Ridley doesn't talk.

EDIT: Just imagine that VA work though. Get the people who voiced them for the DK animated show, the Kirby cartoon, and Super Mario Sunshine. Best combination of voice actors.
Who even posted that picture? Was it from reddit or somewhere else?
WHAT PICTURE?! You've all been talking about this picture all day, yet I haven't seen it once!
.....Unless it's that weird Sharkley picture. I've seen that.....

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Well, Sakurai said "An Enemy from samus' past may appear at any second!" He never said "on the stage", SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Ridley not deconfirmed, m8.
So can we at least agree that this enemy from her past can only be Ridley ? I'm not convicted by your conclusion since he wrote it while showing the stage, but why not d00d.

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
So can we at least agree that this enemy from her past can only be Ridley ? I'm not convicted by your conclusion since he wrote it while showing the stage, but why not d00d.
Lava is a stage hazard. Vorash can also be the enemy from Samus' past, brah. BUT, he could've said that on any other stage, and people would've still said it was Ridley regardles.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
[

In both Other M and the concept art, the wingbones are uniform in thickness and are visible on the inside. These wings actually remind me of Charizard's.
Okay....Now that I've found this alledged photo.....
This actually reminds me of a combination of Other M and Zero Mission Ridley.......With Charizard Wings......

Xhampi

Smash Lord
The japanese quote mention Samus trauma (reference to what happen in Other M) so yeah it's Ridley for sure.

The quote was very obscure about what was going to happen tough as Ridley could have appear in a lot of different way on the Pyrosphere :
-Background character (like in SSB64),
-Stage hazard (like in dead or alive),
-Assist trophy (like it was planned in Brawl),
-Boss (like in Brawl) ,
-Playable,
-Nothing, as "may appear" doesn't mean "will appear".

Right now we are left with Boss and/or Playable character for the possible outcomes.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
It is possible to determine size of an airborn character by their shadow because we have seen that shadows of airborn characters are static in size. People can discredit it as much as they want, but the Ridley shadow shown in the direct is most likely static like every other shadow in the game (unless Ridley is the only exception as usual) and the body was very comparable to the area of Bowser's own shadow.

I've said it before, MAYBE Ridley is just a really slow and small boss on a very large stage that already has a lava hazard. It's 'possible', but that's just such an awful idea to combine those things in my opinion that I really don't see that happening ever.

majora_787

Smash Hero
What does it have to do with Ridley ? :nifty:
He never talked about aboss on galaxy stage right ?
He never talked about a boss on Pyrosphere either. He talked about "boss characters" in general appearing on "other stages" in general. As in, ones that aren't Yellow Devil on Wily's Castle.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Well, while supporters made a good point with their analysis leading to an almost correct size, I still use the words from Sakurai ; he said an enemy from Samus' past would appear at any moment while showing the stage. Now who is an enemy from her past ? Difficult to say since we don't know from which game we are supposed to take Samus ; other M ? After Ridley's last death ? I'm pretty sure it's still about Ridley. Which enemy is worth taking a potd AND the caracteristic of being an enemy from her past ? Wasnt one of the main points of Other M revealing a bit of Samus' past ?

And then I got trolled by Sakurai, who reveals Ridley playable, destroying my theory. :yoshi:
Well, thing is..

Based on the evidence we have, the Pyrosphere stage takes place AFTER the Ridley battle.

Similarly, this?

Should technically lead to this.

Now, not sure about you, but there's a problem here. The series prides itself on its accuracy with everything that it does that requires that kind of accuracy. So here's where we run into a problem:

If Ridley returns, he should technically be in pretty crappy shape when it's, y'know, right after the battle. At the very least, the wings should be torn, and there's no indicator of this on the shadow. It also doesn't help that after Ridley's escape, he's killed by the Queen Metroid. So, like this:

Note the wings, which are in tatters 'cause of his fight with Samus. Not sure about you, but Ridley ain't comin' back from that.

It's also worth noting that Sakurai's literal translation of the PotD on the Japanese site refers to 'trauma', which are certainly themes behind Ridley and Samus's relationship. So, honestly, taking accuracy in mind and all the hints we've been given..

There's going to be a playable Ridley, and a Roidley boss/stage hazard. This certainly makes sense, since Roidley seems to be a clone anyway, so the two can technically co-exist in Smash. Plus, it will allow @AndreaAC to live out their fantasies of Ridley killing Roidley, so everyone wins.

Think about it. This is something Sakurai would definitely do. What a magnum opus of a troll move that would be to have people thinking Ridley is a stage hazard/boss to start, and then at the end of the E3 segment for Smash.. BAM! NEWCOMER: RIDLEY! Western audiences go wild! The Japanese act completely confused at the news! Everyone wins!

tl;dr: Playable Ridley; boss hazard Roidley. Sakurai wins World's Biggest Troll Award.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
He never talked about a boss on Pyrosphere either. He talked about "boss characters" in general appearing on "other stages" in general. As in, ones that aren't Yellow Devil on Wily's Castle.
He was talking about bosses while showing pyrosphere with Ridley flying on it, and he said many months ago, while still showing the same stage, that an enemy from Samus past would appear at any second. Even if he didn't say Ridley, come on it's obvious who he is talking about, and that a boss will appear on pyrosphere. Or maybe he hinted once or twice towards another characters who was revealed later, with words I mean ?

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Not to mention Donkey Kong, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Wario, Wolf, Mewtwo, Lucario... You know. Boss characters.
Charizard and Pikachu also both appear as part of the final boss in G/S... In fact the Pokémon Trainer practically is said final boss...

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
The only way sakurai can make up for making Ridley not playable is making rundas, ghor or gandrayda playable.

Notgonnahappen.jpg

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
He was talking about bosses while showing pyrosphere with Ridley flying on it, and he said many months ago, while still showing the same stage, that an enemy from Samus past would appear at any second. Even if he didn't say Ridley, come on it's obvious who he is talking about, and that a boss will appear on pyrosphere. Or maybe he hinted once or twice towards another characters who was revealed later, with words I mean ?
And after those months...There have been more PoTDs of Pyrosphere, haven't there? Oh, and would ya look at that...? No Ridley in sight... Hm. Makes me wonder.

Steelia

Smash Champion
tl;dr: Playable Ridley; boss hazard Roidley. Sakurai wins World's Biggest Troll Award.
I'd love that. Starts off by confirming Roidley as the Pryosphere boss, and ends it with by showing classic Ridley as playable. Trolling everyone like he did with ZSS's reveal. It'd lead to an amusing theme with the Metroid characters. "ZSS/Ridley is not playable. Just kidding!"

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
You know what would be cool? The Smash series is yet to have a true grappler character. So Ridley should be the first one, since he seem to love to grab people around. He is also big, like most grapplers in fighting games. I really like grapplers

Xhampi

Smash Lord
The only way sakurai can make up for making Ridley not playable is making rundas, ghor or gandrayda playable.

Notgonnahappen.jpg
I'm sorry but any new Metroid character not called Ridley would be a slap in the face of a fanbase who's been following smash since melee as well than the equivalent of making Mouser playable before Bowser.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
And after those months...There have been more PoTDs of Pyrosphere, haven't there? Oh, and would ya look at that...? No Ridley in sight... Hm. Makes me wonder.
While there is no Ridley, there is no other boss as well.
and we had no confirmation of any other boss, maybe because he wants to keep those enemies as surprises, since they are a new mechanic in gameplay, as was the final smash.

And when he talked about boss characters, I'm pretty sure he could have say boss, the sense wouldn't have been any different.

GraveJoker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GraveJoker
You know what would be cool? The Smash series is yet to have a true grappler character. So Ridley should be the first one, since he seem to love to grab people around. He is also big, like most grapplers in fighting games. I really like grapplers
I would love a special move where it makes Ridley dash, having either super armor or just have projectiles pass through him like Little Mac's side B, and if you push A Ridley does a slash, or you push B and Ridley does a grapple. It would work on ground and in air.

Shagadelic_Baby

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5112-4301-7728
While there is no Ridley, there is no other boss as well.
and we had no confirmation of any other boss, maybe because he wants to keep those enemies as surprises, since they are a new mechanic in gameplay, as was the final smash.

And when he talked about boss characters, I'm pretty sure he could have say boss, the sense wouldn't have been any different.
Well then, we'll just have to be good little boys and just wait for the big surprise than, won't we?

UltimateWario

Smash Master

Notgonnahappen.jpg
Yeah, much as I loved the hunters from 3, none of them are even close to as being as important or iconic as Ridley. Sakurai would have to make all three playable before I'd even think about brushing off Ridley's exclusion.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Lucario was a gym leader's main pokemon in the 4th generation of Pokemon. I think her name was Maylene. You could also call Riley in the same generation a boss character if you wanted to. He also uses a Lucario.

And we may not have confirmation on other bosses, but if we assume Dark Emperor and Twinrova are bosses, we've seen other bosses showing up on stages and acting like bosses with no visual indication that they're playable. In fact, visual indication that they definitely aren't. Ridley hasn't been shown, mentioned, acknowledged, and has been presented with visual indication that he may or may not be playable.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
While I agree that a playable and hazard Ridley scenario (either Roidley/Ridley or Alfonzo gimmick) is possible, there is one rather annoying potential problem.

Sakurai could reveal only hazard Ridley at E3, and we won't know about playable Ridley until launch. I can't even imagine the agony...

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
While I agree that a playable and hazard Ridley scenario (either Roidley/Ridley or Alfonzo gimmick) is possible, there is one rather annoying potential problem.

Sakurai could reveal only hazard Ridley at E3, and we won't know about playable Ridley until launch. I can't even imagine the agony...
That's a possibility, but I think in that case, we just kinda have to appeal to Sakurai's nicer half that he wouldn't leave us hanging. I think worst case scenario would be Sakurai revealing boss hazard Roidley, letting us wait all E3, then saying 'WE HAVE SMASH SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT PREEZE ENJOYU' and then BAM PLAYABLE RIDLEY ALL IN YO FACE.

Knowing Sakurai, though, he'd probably just reveal Roidley boss hazard and then reveal playable Ridley at the end of the Smash segment of Nintendo's deal.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
This "technically this, technically that" method of (re)interpreting Sakurai's statements seems a tenuous argument to me. If it's true that Sakurai is playing coy word games, then his approach is needlessly convoluted.

The issue worth discussion is the puzzling manner in which Sakurai has handled information pertaining to Ridley, relative to other characters and their categories (playable, AT, hazard, "stage boss", etc.). But we've already discussed this point exhaustively.

Since E3 will be the deciding factor, I propose we spend the next week playing spin the bottle to pass the time.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
That's a possibility, but I think in that case, we just kinda have to appeal to Sakurai's nicer half that he wouldn't leave us hanging. I think worst case scenario would be Sakurai revealing boss hazard Roidley, letting us wait all E3, then saying 'WE HAVE SMASH SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT PREEZE ENJOYU' and then BAM PLAYABLE RIDLEY ALL IN YO FACE.

Knowing Sakurai, though, he'd probably just reveal Roidley boss hazard and then reveal playable Ridley at the end of the Smash segment of Nintendo's deal.
My hope is that should Sakurai reveal Hazardley first, it will only be a few moments before showing playable Ridley, like the stunt he pulled with Zamus.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Notgonnahappen.jpg
The only logical choice for a new Metroid rep other than Ridley is Dark Samus.

Those three characters you just described are so minor and inconsequential to the Metroid franchise that it wouldn't be any different if they were left out. Sorry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom