• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The way I see it, there's only so many more games Sakurai can make that caters almost exclusively to Japan before he's going to have to start catering to America/Europe. It's going to make the guy sweat something fierce when he winds up inevitably leading Smash 6.
Him doing Smash 6 isn't inevitable (there's reason enough to believe he may not based on things he's said lately), but if he does and what you say is the case, then I guess he would have little/less choice but to include Ridley by that point, assuming he feels Little Mac is enough to give to the west (character-wise) for now.

I imagine everyone will be using the same Ridley avatar and many unwarranted Double-Post warnings will be given.
lol

Much as I tend to try to have avatars of like Rosalina that haven't been used by others (hence why I haven't had any involving her Smash 4 render, beautiful as it is), I wouldn't even care how much the same Ridley avatars would be used by others. I'd still proudly wear one of 'em here all the same, and mine would be bigger than most because of premium membership.

Plot twist; the shadow isn't Ridley.
The shadow is the Rhedogian. :troll:

-Similar tail tip as Ridley (more importantly, as the bit we see in the Smash Direct)
-Can fly, just like Ridley
-Is encountered in the Pyrosphere (though Sector 3, not the Geothermal Power Plant; despite this, Smash isn't necessarily canon and the corridor in the big hole looks kind of like Sector 3 anyway...)
-Has to be fought four fricking times before it's dead. And then two more show up in the post-credits game. So it's an "enemy of Samus' past" and a "trauma" :awesome:
Oh gawd, it would be so ironic if it was Rhedogian. He was the most persistent recurring pain in the ass mini-boss. You even had to save Anthony from him during one part if I remember right.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Him doing Smash 6 isn't inevitable (there's reason enough to believe he may not based on things he's said lately), but if he does and what you say is the case, then I guess he would have little/less choice but to include Ridley by that point, assuming he feels Little Mac is enough to give to the west (character-wise) for now.

lol

Much as I tend to try to have avatars of like Rosalina that haven't been used by others (hence why I haven't had any involving her Smash 4 render, beautiful as it is), I wouldn't even care how much the same Ridley avatars would be used by others. I'd still proudly wear one of 'em here all the same, and mine would be bigger than most because of premium membership.

Oh gawd, it would be so ironic if it was Rhedogian. He was the most persistent recurring pain in the *** mini-boss. You even had to save Anthony from him during one part if I remember right.
I think I remember it now- it would OHKO you if you didn't grapple up to the ledge, right?

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Died so many times there because i had no idea what they wanted from me....Plus, Anthony wasn't helping with that dialog...

Serpdrako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Imperfect_Scars
3DS FC
3136-6642-7063
Wow, just caught up with this thread through 30+ pages of intense Ridley discussion.

I doesn't seem like E3 is less than two weeks away. I feel Ridley's fate is going to be clouded with trickery and uncertainty for all eternity at this rate. Time travels so slowly when waiting for something this far in advance doesn't it?

majora_787

Smash Hero
I thought you meant Vorash for a second and was really confused as to how you could miss that thing. xD I didn't know its name until recently but if someone said "lava fish" or something I'd definitely know the boss.

But yeah I barely remember that. It's been like 3-4 years since I played Other M now, I think.

Also yeah, we've got 10 or so days and it feels like it'll take ten or so months for that to pass. But Ridley's fate will be known and this can all end.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Just for kicks, Imma play Devil's Advocate.
Assuming that rising lava IS a hazard after all, would the platform layout and stage size make the hazard manageable? In my opinion, the size of the stage plus the distance between platforms would make this the worst "rising lava" stage yet.
Compare with previous stages of this manner.

Maybe the lava only stop right before engulfing the entire stage. As in, the lava stops right where the blue things are.

Maybe those thing are actually coolers that prevent lava from overflowing?

Although, that'd also mean one can fight a boss there without worrying about the lava too much.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm thinking they're either explosives, propulsion-related, or warning notifications.

EDIT: A possibility is that the lava only covers the bottom layer of the stage but functions differently from how we have seen lava work in the past, i.e. by doing damage on contact but not dealing significant knockback.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Well we've got, what, 12ish days left?
I'm pretty sure we'll go over that pretty easily

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
MSPaint doesn't really act well with drawing tablets. For whatever reason, holding down the pen makes it right-click for reasons.

A backup program I recommend is Paint.NET, because once again, pressure sensitivity depending on how hard you press into the tablet. While clunky and not as streamlined as SAI, at least it's free.
I got the program and it seems nice....I moved my hand a little and i got a little bit of problems with the motion thing (and the...command thingy...controls...)....xD I tried to draw Rids but I poked his eye by accident and he ran away screaming in pain...

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I got the program and it seems nice....I moved my hand a little and i got a little bit of problems with the motion thing (and the...command thingy...controls...)....xD I tried to draw Rids but I poked his eye by accident and he ran away screaming in pain...
Okay, I did a little research, looks like Paint.net no longer supports pressure sensitivity. Which sucks, because on every drawing program EXCEPT Sai, there's ALWAYS a delay in between putting the pen down and the actual drawing.

The damnable delay issue was the bane of my digital drawing career for some time, and when you put the pen's tendency to right-click if you're holding the pen in a single position for at least a second, it starts getting messy and frustrating.

Best thing to do is to just get SAI, trial version or not. After all, 30 days is longer than 12.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Okay, I did a little research, looks like Paint.net no longer supports pressure sensitivity. Which sucks, because on every drawing program EXCEPT Sai, there's ALWAYS a delay in between putting the pen down and the actual drawing.

The damnable delay issue was the bane of my digital drawing career for some time, and when you put the pen's tendency to right-click if you're holding the pen in a single position for at least a second, it starts getting messy and frustrating.

Best thing to do is to just get SAI, trial version or not. After all, 30 days is longer than 12.
:( Oh. well I will ask my typography teacher if he has some useful program for it, he is an illustrator after all...

Oh and look! Ridley came back....with...a poked eye....
T2A571_0D8998D42DB24_000.gif

"If someone DARES to make a sea pirate joke...that someone is going to DIE...."

majora_787

Smash Hero
I will love this. I hope he does talk if he is in the game. Not just grunts, growls, or roars.
Well, I dunno. DK, Dedede, and Bowser can all talk and they just make weird noises with their noise holes. I wouldn't be surprised if Ridley doesn't talk.

EDIT: Just imagine that VA work though. Get the people who voiced them for the DK animated show, the Kirby cartoon, and Super Mario Sunshine. Best combination of voice actors.

Last edited:

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
737 pages?! Oh jeez, why doesn't Ridley just get confirmed today. If only Sakurai could see this...

majora_787

Smash Hero
I went ahead and looked it up. That would be Bowser voiced by Scott Burns, Dedede voiced by Tedd Lewis, and DK voiced by Richard Yearwood. This is in no way a bad idea. Sakurai needs to take notes.

EDIT: Let Mark Berry voice Ganondorf while we're at it. We need a 100% all-star cast going on.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
:( Oh. well I will ask my typography teacher if he has some useful program for it, he is an illustrator after all...

Oh and look! Ridley came back....with...a poked eye....
View attachment 15111
"If someone DARES to make a sea pirate joke...that someone is going to DIE...."
SPACE-YAR!

Alt title: Ridley's impeccable K. Rool impression.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
K. Rool, Ridley, and Bowser will clearly all be best friends forever considering they all have experience being pirates. Jury's out on Ganondorf, though a bandit/thief is a similar sort of thing I suppose. Wolf is more like a mercenary. Dedede and Wario will just need to wait outside.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
K. Rool, Ridley, and Bowser will clearly all be best friends forever considering they all have experience being pirates. Jury's out on Ganondorf, though a bandit/thief is a similar sort of thing I suppose. Wolf is more like a mercenary. Dedede and Wario will just need to wait outside.
What about Mewtwo? :troll:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
View attachment 15113
What if Sakurai decides to put Grima from Fire Emblem as a playable character over Ridley? I would be upset but I might laugh a little bit...
puts on fancy glasses

You see, Grima is not only too big, but he is too inhuman. Even if one could scale Grima down, he lacks the body structure to be made into a Smash Brother.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't remember, isn't Grima serpentine without limbs? He would basically be a very large winged snake. That'd be really... interesting to make work, to be honest. Though we'd be better off with Medeus. Someone Ridley can actually get along with. (Not going to happen but still)

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I don't remember, isn't Grima serpentine without limbs? He would basically be a very large winged snake. That'd be really... interesting to make work, to be honest. Though we'd be better off with Medeus. Someone Ridley can actually get along with. (Not going to happen but still)
<
*cough*

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Sakurai's been saying the Smash he's working on was his last rodeo since Melee. I've stopped believing the guy when he says it'll be the last. He probably gets cut some sick paychecks to do it.

Well, I also stopped listening to what the guy says, period, 'cause he loves to flip-flop a lot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can someone tell me how Bowser has pirate experience? Is it just because of the way his ships are designed in SMB3 and other classic-style Mario Games? As far as I know Bowser's never actually been a pirate in the canon of the Mario Universe.
Correct me if I'm wrong and thank you in advance.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Can someone tell me how Bowser has pirate experience? Is it just because of the way his ships are designed in SMB3 and other classic-style Mario Games? As far as I know Bowser's never actually been a pirate in the canon of the Mario Universe.
Correct me if I'm wrong and thank you in advance.
Err...Mario Party 2's Pirate Land I guess. That's all I can think of.

Top Bottom