• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
:3 Oh you did it! c: I could have try it but I had no idea how to make that drawing...or if it was going to come out Ok...
Pretty much the only thing I can recommend is a drawing tablet and gratuitous application of ctrl+z. If you don't have a fancy drawing tablet with a screen and everything (I wish I did), you also need good hand-eye coordination.
For funsies, here's a drawing I made of my version of Ridley using the touchpad of my laptop.
touchpadley.png

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Pretty much the only thing I can recommend is a drawing tablet and gratuitous application of ctrl+z. If you don't have a fancy drawing tablet with a screen and everything (I wish I did), you also need good hand-eye coordination.
For funsies, here's a drawing I made of my version of Ridley using the touchpad of my laptop.
View attachment 15095
Yeah, I only have the common tablet...and it's kinda tricky since it is touch and every time I move it my mouse cursor does...BUT the problem is that I haven't learned how to use it, nor I have a program for it....my hand shakes and I would be ending leaving Ridley without an eye....because I poked it..

xD And nice drawing!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Yeah, I only have the common tablet...and it's kinda tricky since it is touch and every time I move it my mouse cursor does...BUT the problem is that I haven't learned how to use it, nor I have a program for it....my hand shakes and I would be ending leaving Ridley without an eye....because I poked it..

xD And nice drawing!
Paint Tool SAI is the best art program I can recommend, if only if because it responds to pressure. However, it's really difficult to find a version that isn't a 30-day trial, but I'm sure there's a crack version somewhere.

Start with tracing, a ton of my digital artwork began as pencil sketches.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Oh there are some many of my drawings I want to color digitally...:D then I will find some program thingy or at least use MS Paint....just to practice, because the tablet's pencil is kinda thick and it feels wierd in comparison to a pencil....xD I want to paint that enraged expression I made on Ridley from the comic i did yesterday,,,

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Out of curiosity, can this thread reach a lucky number of 777 pages at the time of E3?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
MSPaint doesn't really act well with drawing tablets. For whatever reason, holding down the pen makes it right-click for reasons.

A backup program I recommend is Paint.NET, because once again, pressure sensitivity depending on how hard you press into the tablet. While clunky and not as streamlined as SAI, at least it's free.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Out of curiosity, can this thread reach a lucky number of 777 pages at the time of E3?
A fake leak or two will likely contribute to that. It really only takes one poke at anything Ridley related and we usually jump at least 20 pages ahead.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't see what is so wrong with one starting the Metroid series with Fusion. It is a terrific game. Linear, but great.
I doubt. But we will easily reach page 1000 after the E3. I will let you guess why.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Does anyone have an idea on what Ridley's potential reveal trailer will play out?
I think his trailer should be something like a mix of Megaman's and Little Mac's
let me explain:
It looks like a new Metroid game, Samus goes to the Pyrosphere and she finds DK and Bowser and she starts fighting with them.
Then when they're approaching they stop and run away and Samus looks behinde her while someone is saying something like "we're meeting again, my little hunter [laughs]".
RIDLEY RESIZES HIM TO JOIN THE BATTLE
First he shows his ground fighting while he's teasing his opponents (this is like Little Mac's trailer Doc Louis)
then the opponents beat him (like in Megaman's trailer)
so he says something like "it's time for my secret weapon"
and he started fighting in the air showing he's the opposite of LM (while he's teasing his opponents)
After he defeated all the opponents the looks at the screen and shoots fire which becomes the fire of SSB4 logos.
here some frases I would like to see in that trailer
-to Pikachu "it's time for my revenge my little Yellow mouse"
-to Samus/ZSS "isn't great beating someone with their parents' cells ?"
-to Charizard "get out !!! I have enough clones !!!"
-to Bowser "kidnapping princess ? commanding space pirates is better"
-to shokio/ultra/those Miiverse guys "you're going to know why I'm too big :troll:"

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Why has no one talked about the possibility yet that the wing and shadow shown in the direct could be Vorash. The wing looks pretty much the same as his (same colour and shape).

Plus it makes perfect sense: no lava in the fd form of the stage. (vorash popping up from the lava.

Last edited:

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Why has no one talked about the possibility yet that the wing and shadow shown in the direct could be Vorash. The wing looks pretty much the same as his (same colour and shape).

Plus it makes perfect sense: no lava in the fd form of the stage. (vorash popping up from the lava.
?!?

Does this look anything at all like the alleged Ridley's tail sword and wings to you? Because it certainly doesn't look like it to me.

Edit:

The shadow with wings.

The tail.

Roidley.

Also: Vorash can't fly/hover, seeing as that is what the alleged Ridley is doing in the clip.

Also Also: Vorash has fins, not wings.

End rant.

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
?!?

Does this look anything at all like the alleged Ridley's tail sword and wings to you? Because it certainly doesn't look like it to me.

Edit:

The shadow with wings.

The tail.

Roidley.

Also: Vorash can't fly/hover, seeing as that is what the alleged Ridley is doing in the clip.

Also Also: Vorash has fins, not wings.

End rant.
Ahh. You're right. I saw a picture of vorash without the lava and tought the vine prety much looked the same.

Would be a cool boss though.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The pic of the day that showcased how the characters get steamy at high percentages was the 50th picture of the Pyrosphere, at least when we count the press release photos. Just a fun little fact.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
The pic of the day that showcased how the characters get steamy at high percentages was the 50th picture of the Pyrosphere, at least when we count the press release photos. Just a fun little fact.
I remember when we only had 21 pics of the stage before the Direct. In a little over a month, we've gotten more than twice the amount of pictures of the Pyrosphere, than in over eight months. All of them with no Ridley in sight.

...I hope this mess will be over soon at E3.

Last edited:

lilt

Smash Journeyman
I updated my post from yesterday a bit, since I was already half asleep and probably wrote bullsh*t.
If you like, read it and think about it. This is for the ones that love walls of text. Otherwise: feel free to ignore it! :b:

Here are a bunch of thoughts I had with Pyrosphere's possible hazard, if there is one at least:

- It should have something to do with the lava, since normal has it and FD doesn't.
Also there are that "containers" at the side of the stage. They clearly are a new addition.
- Could it be a classic rising lava Metroid stage like Brinstar?
I do not think so, since the stage isn't vertical enough besides some platforms
- Could it have lava coming from the sides?
Could be, but why should it, since the lava has to rise from the underground and there're walls left and right.
In addition, we had something similar in Brawl's Norfair and probably more impressive

- Will either of the Other M lava bosses show up: Goyagma or Vorash?
- Here are their boss fights:

- What I basically can take from them is that:
- Goyagma can be defeated with Ice
-> When defeated, he blows up
- Vorash gets defeated, doesn't blow up, sinks into the lava
-> He could still be alive
- Also: the Lava level sinks when he is defeated

In that regard,
it's likely that Vorash could be Pyrosphere's stage hazard because:

- he might be still alive. Metroid is the King of reviving bosses.
- he lives in lava
- when the lava level is to low, he may want to go in an area were lava still flows, like Pyrosphere
- all the bosses are from different places of Pyrosphere, which probably are connected somehow

And that's how I imagine it could work:
- The level of Lava rises by time
- If the lava is near the platforms height, Vorash shows up, lurks out of the lava just like in Other M, and attacks
- Did you see the attack he performed a few seconds after 2:00? He glides over the platform like a seal on ice.
A pure horizontal attack, very fitting for the layout of the stage
-> This is were the platforms come in handy. You can avoid his attacks.
-> He also does an attack where he jumps out of the lava and attacks with it. You could hide under the platforms.
- The blue containers? Could be breakable.
Vorash could crash in them, when he'd perform his sliding attack and get stunned. Maybe even frozen, since we learned lava bosses are sensible for Ice attacks (like Goyagma is)
- When Vorash gets defeated, the lava sinks again, just like in the bossfight in Other M

If this idea is legit, we're able to check of some factors about Pyrosphere:
- The absence of lava in FD version makes sense. Vorash moves and lives inside it, even attacks with it.
- Blue containers would have a purpose to be there in the one or the other way
- It makes sense with the stages layout
- Sakurai would give us a unique, new boss fight,
that didn't happen either in Other M or in Dead or Alive Dimensions. He would surprise players, since everybody is expecting the one thing to happen. Surprising players is one thing he definitely loves to to.
- and most importantly: It makes sense to show a Pyrosphere AFTER the fight with Ridley took place
Ridley doesn't need to come back as a boss. Because Vorash will.

This is just an idea of mine. It could be completely different.
But the only thing left is, that I don't know why the blue containers do look different in both versions.
Why are they in FD's version at all? Maybe someone has a good thought regarding this.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Just for kicks, Imma play Devil's Advocate.
Assuming that rising lava IS a hazard after all, would the platform layout and stage size make the hazard manageable? In my opinion, the size of the stage plus the distance between platforms would make this the worst "rising lava" stage yet.
Compare with previous stages of this manner.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A while back, we were talking about voices for Ridley if he were to actually speak.
Well, I recently saw The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, and....

yeah, Ridley should sound like Smaug.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I remember when we only had 21 pics of the stage before the Direct. In a little over a month, we've gotten more than twice the amount of pictures of the Pyrosphere, than in over six months. All of them with no Ridley in sight.

...I hope this mess will be over soon at E3.
Yeah, up until E3 I was counting the amount of Pyrosphere pictures we had, but stopped counting after the Direct because I didn't care for it anymore. Only noticed now because I had a quick trip on smashbros-miiverse.

But the only thing left is, that I don't know why the blue containers do look different in both versions.
Why are they in FD's version at all? Maybe someone has a good thought regarding this.
I'm at even more of a loss regarding those now that I stumbled upon this picture:

They're simply tucked away under the ledge, and you can safely grab it too. I thought perhaps they could hinder grabbing the ledge somehow, making it harder to recover, but that doesn't seem to be the case, at least not in this pic.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Yeah, up until E3 I was counting the amount of Pyrosphere pictures we had, but stopped counting after the Direct because I didn't care for it anymore. Only noticed now because I had a quick trip on smashbros-miiverse.

I'm at even more of a loss regarding those now that I stumbled upon this picture:

They're simply tucked away under the ledge, and you can safely grab it too. I thought perhaps they could hinder grabbing the ledge somehow, making it harder to recover, but that doesn't seem to be the case, at least not in this pic.
Here is a better view of them. No clue what they might do. I cant see them being just decorations.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
In regards as to Ridley's trailer, I will take a guess as to when he'll appear.

Just for grins, I'm willing to bet he'll be the first thing we see at the Digital Event, akin to Little Mac's immediate reveal during the Spring Direct. And I imagine it will function in the same way as Rosalina's trailer where there wasn't the Smash symbol at the beginning (remember that this was only for the initial reveal as it appears in later versions after the Direct aired). Basically, it will look like a new Metroid trailer before Ridley swoops in and shows that it is in fact his trailer.

And then, following the Smash Q&A, the newly announced 3DS game just happens to be Metroid, meaning Sakurai was leading us on in more ways then one all this time.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeah, I gotta agree, it was quite nuts--

STOP IT. GODDAMMIT.
<3

I know it's late to bring this up, but I consider Ridley the main antagonist of the collective series because he's the only villain who is important to the entirety of the franchise. Sure, Space pirates stumble upon and use the Metroid Prime and Mother Brain and throne them as their new leaders. But Mother Brain covers two games. MB covers one game. The Metroid Prime covers three. The X Parasites cover one. He may not be 100% biggest bad of any individual game he's in, but he is still a major antagonist and one of two consistencies throughout the vast majority of the franchise as a whole.

Also, I think those tubes definitely do something too. They change on the FD version and they don't even exist on the original Pyrosphere in Other M. But what do these tubes and the lava hole have to do with one another, I wonder? It'll be interesting to see.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yep. Gotta love how Ridley is the only character to be in every single Smash Bros. game with an increasingly prominent role each time who has yet to be playable. :p

EDIT: Who else DO we have on that list? Charizard and King Dedede became playable in Brawl after appearing in 64 and Melee. Mewtwo and Bowser were planned for 64 and were in or planned for every game since. Moral of the story is Ridley has the most history with Smash Bros. of any never-playable character.

Last edited:

PlasticBag

Smash Apprentice
off topic: Could you tell me who this guy in your profil pic is? I recently saw memes with his face. He must be important!

at topic: I want Ridley to be playable.
It's called Kappa.

It's the face of Josh, a former Justin.tv employee. Kappa is generally used to indicate sarcasm or trolling.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Maybe the stage hazard isn't rising lava at all. What if the platform sinks in the lava pit instead and floats on the lava? Maybe the purple lights could indicate when that's going to happen. I think that would be an exciting stage hazard. Especially if Vorash would circle around the floating platform, creating lava waves.

It's really likely that lava pit will influenece the gameplay in some way. I mean, it's not even there in the FD-Pyrosphere.

majora_787

Smash Hero
As we saw with Norfair, a lava hazard doesn't necessarily mean rising lava a la Zebes or Brinstar. It could be lava plumes, lava walls or waves, or whatever. It could even be Vorash or some crap. But it's a pretty broad area of speculation. Who knows.

Staarih

Smash Master
I don't know if I can see Vorash as a stage boss though, to me it just feels like a difficult creature to attack on (I assume all the stage bosses will act similarly, as in explode or whatever when you get the final hit). But surely I'd rather have it than Ridley though.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't know if I can see Vorash as a stage boss though, to me it just feels like a difficult creature to attack on (I assume all the stage bosses will act similarly, as in explode or whatever when you get the final hit). But surely I'd rather have it than Ridley though.
Maybe the lava rises over time, and when it reaches a certain height Vorash lunges out of the lava and beaches itself on the side of the platform, and when you do enough damage it falls off and comes back a bit later. Then after you beat it in 2-3 or so appearances, its defeat stops the lava from rising all the way. But otherwise, it engulfs the bottom platform after a number of minutes. And if you haven't killed Vorash by then, he appears and doesn't leave until you kill him (from just the four floating platforms). And then when you beat him, the lava recedes. And the tubes may function as a sort of "warning signal" as to how high the lava is to show when Vorash is about to start attacking, or when the stage is about to be engulfed.

Ridley would, coincidentally, with an air-based moveset, probably have one of the easiest times on this coincidental stage's hazard.

D

Deleted member

Plot twist; the shadow isn't Ridley.
The shadow is the Rhedogian. :troll:

-Similar tail tip as Ridley (more importantly, as the bit we see in the Smash Direct)
-Can fly, just like Ridley
-Is encountered in the Pyrosphere (though Sector 3, not the Geothermal Power Plant; despite this, Smash isn't necessarily canon and the corridor in the big hole looks kind of like Sector 3 anyway...)
-Has to be fought four fricking times before it's dead. And then two more show up in the post-credits game. So it's an "enemy of Samus' past" and a "trauma" :awesome:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Plot twist; the shadow isn't Ridley.
The shadow is the Rhedogian. :troll:

-Similar tail tip as Ridley (more importantly, as the bit we see in the Smash Direct)
-Can fly, just like Ridley
-Is encountered in the Pyrosphere (though Sector 3, not the Geothermal Power Plant; despite this, Smash isn't necessarily canon and the corridor in the big hole looks kind of like Sector 3 anyway...)
-Has to be fought four fricking times before it's dead. And then two more show up in the post-credits game. So it's an "enemy of Samus' past" and a "trauma" :awesome:
...is it bad that i played through Other M and i DON'T REMEMBER THIS THING AT ALL?!

Top Bottom