• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
That is the normal version of Final Destination. You must be confused because they haven't announced the Final Destination version of Final Destination. It's a common mistake, it happened to me too so don't feel embarrassed.

:fdb:It would resemble the brawl version more.
This is the funniest thing I've read all day. I mean, unless you're serious.

majora_787

Smash Hero
That is the normal version of Final Destination. You must be confused because they haven't announced the Final Destination version of Final Destination. It's a common mistake, it happened to me too so don't feel embarrassed.

:fdb:It would resemble the brawl version more.
See, you're mistaken, because now we're leaving out the Final Destination version of Final Final Destination, which has no background and is an untextured slab. This is the most important version.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
See, you're mistaken, because now we're leaving out the Final Destination version of Final Final Destination, which has no background and is an untextured slab. This is the most important version.
Lies. I refuse to believe this hypocrisy. I learned from my sources that aren't getting a FD version of Final Destination, but FD versions of all customizable stages.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
We'll have to see, I'd definitely consider both lava and Ridley as too much **** going on. There is certainly more than meets the eye with Pyrosphere, I wouldn't think so if it wasn't for the fact that the other FD versions were kept so intact, because of this it just comes off as very suspicious. Man, Pyrosphere is such a mess, it better be playable at Best Buys or the Invitational Tournament, we've soon been circling around it for over a year and we've only received more questions as time has gone by.
I don't know about the Best Buy demos, but I'm like 90% certain we're getting the Final Destination versions of each stage at the Invitational Tournament. That way we won't know if Ridley's just a hazard or not (that is if he isn't already confirmed playable by then).

And since the Invitational Tournament will set items to medium frequency in the beginning, I'll have you know that the FD stages can still have items appear.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
If you want help with that, maybe I can help :cool:
:nifty:Don't kill me if I end up being a terrible Portuguese teacher
-u- Thank you, thank you, but it may be in a far future the day I want to learn portuguese, now I'm dealing with english.... :) thank you so much for your offer...

:D well, back to drawing Ridley stuff!

D

Deleted member

-u- Thank you, thank you, but it may be in a far future the day I want to learn portuguese, now I'm dealing with english.... :) thank you so much for your offer...

:D well, back to drawing Ridley stuff!
I'm still waiting for the one in my avatar

EDIT:
I don't know about the Best Buy demos, but I'm like 90% certain we're getting the Final Destination versions of each stage at the Invitational Tournament. That way we won't know if Ridley's just a hazard or not (that is if he isn't already confirmed playable by then).

And since the Invitational Tournament will set items to medium frequency in the beginning, I'll have you know that the FD stages can still have items appear.
I think they are only playing FD on the Grand Final, everything else is on standard stages

Last edited by a moderator:

majora_787

Smash Hero
The Best Buy demo, not the tournament, is what will indicate if Ridley is playable. If they exclude Pyrosphere of all things from the demo in its entirety despite it being one of the stages we have seen the absolute most of for the longest time since last E3, that's extremely suspicious.

For reference, Brawl's demo contained Halberd, Battlefield, Norfair, Delfino Plaza, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, Smashville, Castle Siege, Pokemon Stadium 2, Bridge of Eldin, and Skyworld. Those are the first twelve stages revealed on the Dojo, minus Rumble Falls and WarioWare Inc. Also with the inclusion of Norfair.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think they are only playing FD on the Grand Final, everything else is on standard stages
Actually, it's Battlefield at the Grand Final. The stage announcements will come on the day of the tourney I think they said, so it seems like it'll be more than FD versions of every stage, otherwise they'd probably just have said FD-only by this point.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The Best Buy demo, not the tournament, is what will indicate if Ridley is playable. If they exclude Pyrosphere of all things from the demo in its entirety despite it being one of the stages we have seen the absolute most of for the longest time since last E3, that's extremely suspicious.

For reference, Brawl's demo contained Halberd, Battlefield, Norfair, Delfino Plaza, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, Smashville, Castle Siege, Pokemon Stadium 2, Bridge of Eldin, and Skyworld. Those are the first twelve stages revealed on the Dojo, minus Rumble Falls and WarioWare Inc. Also with the inclusion of Norfair.
I agree. If they go out of their way to hide the Pyrosphere throughout the entirety of E3 and all the Smash related events going on at the time, even if Ridley isn't announced as playable, I would read that as a big boost to his chances. They already strongly hinted that Ridley is a boss, and they know that Ridley is a requested newcomer. Their refusal to show that stage in its entirety would be incredibly suspicious. And this whole situation is suspicious enough as is.

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
I love how they cite Snorlax as some huge character when Snorlax are like. A little taller than Samus, and are smaller than Bowser OR Ganondorf OR Ridley or PROBABLY Donkey Kong.
According to the Pokedex, Snorlax is only 6' 11''. So yeah Bowser(16 feet in Super Mario 64), Ridley(going to be generous and say 15 feet lengthwise), and Ganondorf(8 feet) are all taller, and Bowser is definitely heavier. He destroys small asteroids with his jumps. However, I think it was mentioned somewhere that DK is around 5 feet 8 inches, so Snorlax is larger than him.

Why don't we have a gorilla pokemon?

Anyways, I think it'd be weird to have a lava/acidless Metroid stage. Wouldn't feel right. And I'd pay money to see Kraid in glorious HD, and not done horribly like Roidley.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
I'd love a new Metroid Stage for 3DS, but I'd flip a switch if Brinstar is a stage. I loved that stage, even if it was bad. At least it gives Nintendo a chance to redesign Kraid.
I indeed imagined yesterday how cool it would be, if Kraid's Lair would return.
If Ridley gets confirmed playable, we techniqually could have Samus, Kraid, Ridley and Mother Brain on one stage, at the same time. :awesome:

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
But what about the Final Destination version of Final Final Destination of Finality, which is just characters standing on a black screen with white lines marking the blast zones. No silly sensory overload on this version, for the true diehard players. Only scrubs play on FFDoF.

D

Deleted member

I agree. If they go out of their way to hide the Pyrosphere throughout the entirety of E3 and all the Smash related events going on at the time, even if Ridley isn't announced as playable, I would read that as a big boost to his chances. They already strongly hinted that Ridley is a boss, and they know that Ridley is a requested newcomer. Their refusal to show that stage in its entirety would be incredibly suspicious. And this whole situation is suspicious enough as is.
http://youtu.be/sSyLLcCd-Wo?t=58s

majora_787

Smash Hero
I still can't get over the fact that a real breathing human said Ridley is too big and can't be resized, and then cited Mario Kart, ANOTHER non-canon spinoff where everyone is downsized to drive karts, for Bowser's size.

What is life? Nothing I want to be apart of after that. Un-dead me after E3 happens, geeze.

LMxDoomguyx

Smash Rookie
I still want Ridley even though his chances arent looking as good as they once did with that recent video calling him a boss I still want to play as the Pirate King. Here is why I want Ridley and why I think Nintendo would be doing us all a disservice for not including him.

1. Metroid is arguably one of Nintendo's best franchises if not the best and the only character from Metroid to show up thus far is Samus (be it twice as both Varia and Zero suit thats still the same character). Metroid deserves more representation.
2. If not Ridley who could better be Samus arch enemy. You could argue Mother Brain or Dark Samus but they are confirmed as assist trophies and therefore out. They only other character that besides Ridley might work would be one of the hunters from either Metroid Prime 3: Corruption or Metroid Prime: Hunters which are far less interesting then Ridley way too obscure and Don't have the kinda personal connection for Samus' antagonistic relationship with Ridley. He killed her family remember that.
3. Ridley's size is irrelevant. No one is the size they are supposed to be. In past Mario games Bowser has been massive to the point where if he never made it into any of the super smash games past massive sizes such as his size in Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario Sunshine could have been cited as proof he's too large. Also keep in mind Ridley's size in the intro to Super Smash Bros Melee was about the same size as everyone else. Ridley was roughly Samus' size in the original Metroid. AND if he was just a tiny bit smaller in Brawl he would have been playable size(well in his base form Meta-Ridley not so much lol). Also consider Omar. He is the size of a bug in the pikmin games yet they changed his size to make him fit the game. Why not do the same with Ridley?
4. Ridleys size is not his defining characteristic. He is a central antagonist to the Metroid franchise. He is a ranking member of Space Pirate High Command, the ruling council of the space pirates. Baring Mother Brain who just wouldn't work as a character anyway he is the perfect Metroid villain. Every Nintendo hero should be represented by a villain as well. Mario has Bowser, Link has Gannondorf, Kirby has Dee Dee Dee who does Samus have no one. Ridley is more then just a mindless big brute, that quota has already been filled with the likes of Bowser and Dee Dee Dee. Ridley is the diabolical villain who made Samus an orphan. Even with out his often massive size he is still intimidating for his iconic alien pterodactyl appearance with draconian features. Making him smaller will not detract from his look.
5. Does size really matter? It may be disappointing to some to see Ridley scaled down but would that really make the character unplayable? If scaling him down makes him playable I say do it. If we didnt scale olimar up we would have never gotten him as a character at all. Ridley would still be able to fly, breath fire, claw, and do all his cool stuff even if he's smaller.
6. Even if they intend him as a boss development is not over they could still change things and make him playable.
7. Nintendo has stated they would make free dlc this generation this could be like Martian Manhunter in Injustice he might appear as a dlc character.
8. Stages change as wii have seen with conductor toon link. Maybe hes only a boss/hazard on the firepit so long as he is unselected and replaced with Kraid or someone if ridley is selected.
9. Saukura is a notorious troll and has liked to play with our expectations in the past maybe hes doing so now.
10. Ridley has great potential for cool alternate costumes which I'd like to see implemented better regardless.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I still want Ridley even though his chances arent looking as good as they once did with that recent video calling him a boss I still want to play as the Pirate King. Here is why I want Ridley and why I think Nintendo would be doing us all a disservice for not including him.

1. Metroid is arguably one of Nintendo's best franchises if not the best and the only character from Metroid to show up thus far is Samus (be it twice as both Varia and Zero suit thats still the same character). Metroid deserves more representation.
2. If not Ridley who could better be Samus arch enemy. You could argue Mother Brain or Dark Samus but they are confirmed as assist trophies and therefore out. They only other character that besides Ridley might work would be one of the hunters from either Metroid Prime 3: Corruption or Metroid Prime: Hunters which are far less interesting then Ridley way too obscure and Don't have the kinda personal connection for Samus' antagonistic relationship with Ridley. He killed her family remember that.
3. Ridley's size is irrelevant. No one is the size they are supposed to be. In past Mario games Bowser has been massive to the point where if he never made it into any of the super smash games past massive sizes such as his size in Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario Sunshine could have been cited as proof he's too large. Also keep in mind Ridley's size in the intro to Super Smash Bros Melee was about the same size as everyone else. Ridley was roughly Samus' size in the original Metroid. AND if he was just a tiny bit smaller in Brawl he would have been playable size(well in his base form Meta-Ridley not so much lol). Also consider Omar. He is the size of a bug in the pikmin games yet they changed his size to make him fit the game. Why not do the same with Ridley?
4. Ridleys size is not his defining characteristic. He is a central antagonist to the Metroid franchise. He is a ranking member of Space Pirate High Command, the ruling council of the space pirates. Baring Mother Brain who just wouldn't work as a character anyway he is the perfect Metroid villain. Every Nintendo hero should be represented by a villain as well. Mario has Bowser, Link has Gannondorf, Kirby has Dee Dee Dee who does Samus have no one. Ridley is more then just a mindless big brute, that quota has already been filled with the likes of Bowser and Dee Dee Dee. Ridley is the diabolical villain who made Samus an orphan. Even with out his often massive size he is still intimidating for his iconic alien pterodactyl appearance with draconian features. Making him smaller will not detract from his look.
5. Does size really matter? It may be disappointing to some to see Ridley scaled down but would that really make the character unplayable? If scaling him down makes him playable I say do it. If we didnt scale olimar up we would have never gotten him as a character at all. Ridley would still be able to fly, breath fire, claw, and do all his cool stuff even if he's smaller.
6. Even if they intend him as a boss development is not over they could still change things and make him playable.
7. Nintendo has stated they would make free dlc this generation this could be like Martian Manhunter in Injustice he might appear as a dlc character.
8. Stages change as wii have seen with conductor toon link. Maybe hes only a boss/hazard on the firepit so long as he is unselected and replaced with Kraid or someone if ridley is selected.
9. Saukura is a notorious troll and has liked to play with our expectations in the past maybe hes doing so now.
10. Ridley has great potential for cool alternate costumes which I'd like to see implemented better regardless.
Well said, and welcome to the cause fellow Space Pirate.

D

Deleted member

I'm arguing with a guy who Ridley isn't the main villain, that he is just a random boss and that his character is being big *sigh* /stay classy Miiverse

Ultinarok

Smash Lord

Indeed. All very true. Welcome to Smashboards. Feel free to get yourself acquainted with threads for all your wanted newcomers, because they probably exist. Also be sure to check out the pages for your favorite Brawl vets/mains. There's a lot of stuff you can contribute too. And show some pride in your mains by adding them to your info, along with a display pic. Just some friendly introductions.

That said, I don't think size has ever been his problem, the problem (that everyone always seems to not be able to express) is the awkwardness of his proportions: long, thin, with exaggerated and elongated nose, wings and tail. Hitboxes and programming for such a character in a fast-paced game is where the issue likely lies. Bowser is big, but his shape is all bulk. Its not hard to work him in (other than a sprinting animation, ending up in his hilarious Melee/Brawl one).

Last edited:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340

1. Yes, we love Metroid, but Japan doesn't so much. Metroid isn't nearly as big of a seller as Mario or Zelda, possibly even Kirby (granted all three have WAY more games, but still). Metroid is underrepresented though, I do agree. I also believe Samus/ZSS is the same because it's still Samus, playstyles don't matter to me on that front.
2. I actually thought Rundas would be an interesting character, but no one has the same backstory, and with DS confirmed as an assist trophy (I don't think anyone honestly thought Mama Brain was playable anyways), Ridley would be the go-to villain for Metroid, were they to do one. He killed her entire colony besides her, by the way, not just her parents.
3. We all know this, but the toobigots will NEVER agree with you there. However, until we get a confirmation, they're as right as we are for speculating because he's not confirmed yet/isn't ever confirmed.
4. Kirby's villains aren't DDD and MK. They're Marx, Dyna Blade, Magolor, etc. However, yes, every major Nintendo series has a villain. Ridley's a very iconic Metroid character, but that doesn't mean he's a shoe-in. Others have been left out before.
5. Size can be an issue if he is very large, meaning he has way more hitboxes and thus is easy to get destroyed by a faster character, even if he's not uber slow. That's part of the toobigot's argument, and that one actually has some merit. If I wanna play as Ridley, I wanna bash some skulls, not be a rag doll.
6. If he's implemented as a boss only, his development is more than likely done by now. If they're implementing him as playable, then he might have some tweaks before the release. You gotta figure that the 3DS version has to be g2g in just a few months. The major stuff should be done by now.
7. I don't want DLC for Smash, because then everyone's still gonna have hopes about their guy that didn't make the cut. I'd argue that it'd be way more deflating if they had DLC and Ridley still wasn't included after all the DLC. Double gut punch and heart ripped out if that does happen.
8. The Toon Link one makes perfect sense, though. As much as I love Kraid, I can't see him making it back in like that. I think if Ridley's selected, he just won't be there, period. Maybe the lava will be a hazard or something, but I can't see them randomly throwing in Kraid like that. It wouldn't feel right.
9. Like the GameFAQs post earlier, Ridley is in the same boat as Palutena, and most people think she's in. Sakurai did about the same thing with her, so we'll see.
10. This is what I'm hoping for most if he's in. You could be any Ridley you want: Super, Meta, Omega, X-Ridley, Other M, and probably Zero Mission.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
I'm arguing with a guy who Ridley isn't the main villain, that he is just a random boss and that his character is being big *sigh* /stay classy Miiverse
He isn't? He's subservient to Mother Brain in all appearances that he's not revived from the dead in. He just happens to have good PR. Mother Brain is the main villain of Metroid.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I wouldn't bother. There words won't change the inevitable of Ridley being playable. Just hold on a little longer till E3.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
He isn't? He's subservient to Mother Brain in all appearances that he's not revived from the dead in. He just happens to have good PR. Mother Brain is the main villain of Metroid.
She is so in three games (two ignoring Zero Mission), but Ridley is by far the most recurrent. He also has a significant impact on the plot of the series, since his actions were what lead to Samus become a space hunter.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I like a lot of the posts on this page and the last one when you further prove how this dumb argument doesn't matter. I like more the minority than the majority (implying I'm in the minority).

Hey that just occurred to me; ridley is popular but are toobigots minority or majority?

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I suppose it makes sense that the bounty hunter's archnemesis is a mercenary.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
I updated my post from yesterday a bit, since I was already half asleep and probably wrote bullsh*t.
If you like, read it and think about it. Otherwise: feel free to ignore it! :b:

Here are a bunch of thoughts I had with Pyrosphere's possible hazard, if there is one at least:

- It should have something to do with the lava, since normal has it and FD doesn't.
Also there are that "containers" at the side of the stage. They clearly are a new addition.
- Could it be a classic rising lava Metroid stage like Brinstar?
I do not think so, since the stage isn't vertical enough besides some platforms
- Could it have lava coming from the sides?
Could be, but why should it, since the lava has to rise from the underground and there're walls left and right.
In addition, we had something similar in Brawl's Norfair and probably more impressive

- Will either of the Other M lava bosses show up: Goyagma or Vorash?
- Here are their boss fights:

- What I basically can take from them is that:
- Goyagma can be defeated with Ice
-> When defeated, he blows up
- Vorash gets defeated, doesn't blow up, sinks into the lava
-> He could still be alive
- Also: the Lava level sinks when he is defeated

In that regard,
it's likely that Vorash could be Pyrosphere's stage hazard because:

- he might be still alive. Metroid is the King of reviving bosses.
- he lives in lava
- when the lava level is to low, he may want to go in an area were lava still flows, like Pyrosphere
- all the bosses are from different places of Pyrosphere, which probably are connected somehow

And that's how I imagine it could work:
- The level of Lava rises by time
- If the lava is near the platforms height, Vorash shows up, lurks out of the lava just like in Other M, and attacks
- Did you see the attack he performed a few seconds after 2:00? He glides over the platform like a seal on ice.
A pure horizontal attack, very fitting for the layout of the stage
-> This is were the platforms come in handy. You can avoid his attacks.
-> He also does an attack where he jumps out of the lava and attacks with it. You could hide under the platforms.
- The blue containers? Could be breakable.
Vorash could crash in them, when he'd perform his sliding attack and get stunned. Maybe even frozen, since we learned lava bosses are sensible for Ice attacks (like Goyagma is)
- When Vorash gets defeated, the lava sinks again, just like in the bossfight in Other M

If this idea is legit, we're able to check of some factors about Pyrosphere:
- The absence of lava in FD version makes sense. Vorash moves and lives inside it, even attacks with it.
- Blue containers would have a purpose to be there in the one or the other way
- It makes sense with the stages layout
- Sakurai would give us a unique, new boss fight,
that didn't happen either in Other M or in Dead or Alive Dimensions. He would surprise players, since everybody is expecting the one thing to happen. Surprising players is one thing he definitely loves to to.
- and most importantly: It makes sense to show a Pyrosphere AFTER the fight with Ridley took place
Ridley doesn't need to come back as a boss. Because Vorash will.

This is just an idea of mine. The only thing left is, that I don't know why the blue containers do look different in both versions. Why are they in FD's version at all? Maybe someone has a good thought regarding this.

Last edited:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
She is so in three games (two ignoring Zero Mission), but Ridley is by far the most recurrent. He also has a significant impact on the plot of the series, since his actions were what lead to Samus become a space hunter.
She makes few appearances because MB plays the long game. See AU313, Other M, Super Metroid with the "i'm totally dead lol not really" gambit pulled TWICE. Plus, Ridley is a commander, but not the boss of the Space Pirates. Mother Brain retains that title for the organization's entire lifetime. Fusion Ridley and Mecha Ridley don't count for obvious reasons.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I like a lot of the posts on this page and the last one when you further prove how this dumb argument doesn't matter. I like more the minority than the majority (implying I'm in the minority).

Hey that just occurred to me; ridley is popular but are toonigots minority or majority?
Seems to be a majority.

Everyone who's rating Ridley's chances are spouting the same rhetoric about how they're "not blinded by the hype" and that our evidence and analysis is just us being delusional.

Personally, I haven't seen ANYONE try making a case that Ridley's a boss beyond 2-3 pieces of evidence, so in the long run, I think we've made better progress in figuring out Ridley.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
She makes few appearances because MB plays the long game. See AU313, Other M, Super Metroid with the "i'm totally dead lol not really" gambit pulled TWICE. Plus, Ridley is a commander, but not the boss of the Space Pirates. Mother Brain retains that title for the organization's entire lifetime. Fusion Ridley and Mecha Ridley don't count for obvious reasons.
Even still, Ridley has greater connections to the main character than Mother Brain. So even though Mother Brain is the ever present mastermind behind it all, Ridley still maintains his status as Samus' nemesis through the entire series, even in games where Mother Brain is nowhere to be seen (Prime series).

Last edited:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, but being your series' Dragon(lol) doesn't mean you're suddenly the main antagonist. That's like saying Nemesis was the big bad guy in RE:3 when Umbrella/Wesker is definitely it.

EDIT: Prime was between M and M2 or SM? I forget the timeline, but either way, it was Mother Brain recuperating from being defeated in M1. She'd have likely sent Ridley on distraction runs(and probably didn't mean for him to get Phazon corrupted but Samus nuking DS probably meant Ridley got cleared up with a clean bill of health) to prevent Samus from finding her recovery spot. Then again, Ridley and the rest of the crew seem to have immortality clauses in their contracts to be able to survive planetary novas.

Side note, I will admit that Samus and Ridley are more alike than she'd care to admit. Both committed genocide, both are killers, both are merciless to their targets, even cruel. Samus is no hero, she, like Ridley, just has good PR. Remember SR388? As far as I recall, GF didn't ask Samus to do that, she went of her own volition.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
You see, villain and final boss aren't always interchangeable. The villain, or antagonist, is the counter to the protagonist; her archenemy, rival, a personal vendetta usually. Mother brain is the primary doombringer, yes. But for Samus, the real enemy is Ridley due to their history. Same with Wolf in Starfox, even though Andross is the ultimate enemy, and Seymour in FFX as another example, although Yu Yevon and the Final Aeon are the end bosses. Just because one foe is the final challenge doesn't make them the main antagonist; maybe for the player, but not the protagonist. Ridley is Samus' negative. Yes, you can call Mother Brain the real antagonist, but Samus isn't necessarily burning with hatred for Mother Brain; she fights her because she must. But Ridley? Now its personal.

Last edited:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
You see, villain and final boss aren't always interchangeable. The villain, or antagonist, is the counter to the protagonist; her archenemy, rival, a personal vendetta usually. Mother brain is the primary doombringer, yes. But for Samus, the real enemy is Ridley due to their history. Same with Wolf in Starfox, even though Andross is the ultimate enemy, and Seymour in FFX as another example, although Yu Yevon and the Final Aeon are the end bosses. Just because one foe is the final challenge doesn't make them the main antagonist; maybe for the player, but not the protagonist. Ridley is Samus' negative. Yes, you can call Mother Brain the real antagonist, but Samus isn't necessarily burning with hatred for Mother Brain; she fights her because she must. But Ridley? Now its personal.
I find it hard to believe that Ridley would have just randomly assaulted the colony for the evulz. It's more likely he was acting under MB's orders(given their nature as pirates, this isn't unreasonable). Therefore Samus would have every right to hate MB as much for ordering the strike that she(it?) knew would kill so many as the man(dragon) that actually pulled the trigger.

Last edited:
Top Bottom