• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Seems to be a majority.

Everyone who's rating Ridley's chances are spouting the same rhetoric about how they're "not blinded by the hype" and that our evidence and analysis is just us being delusional.

Personally, I haven't seen ANYONE try making a case that Ridley's a boss beyond 2-3 pieces of evidence, so in the long run, I think we've made better progress in figuring out Ridley.
I think the reason why is because most Ridley fans haven't bothered checking the website (Smashboards) after what happened on April 8, or at least RTC.

Also, most people were more favorable towards Ridley in the days that he was rated before then.

Ridley is still popular enough to be acknowledged so by Japanese fans, not to mention how well he's done in polling before SSB4 was officially announced.

Last edited:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I'm pretty sure most casual Nintendo fans recognize Ridley way before Mother Brain, and he's in more games, including every one Mother's in. Don't get me wrong, Mother is the villain, but most non-Metroid fans probably think Ridley is the main villain.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I think the reason why is because most Ridley fans haven't bothered checking the website (Smashboards) after what happened on April 8, or at least RTC.

Ridley is still popular enough to be acknowledged so by Japanese fans, not to mention how well he's done in polling before SSB4 was officially announced.
Speaking of which, I wonder what the few Metroid fans overseas make of this...

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
He's an orangutan, not a gorilla. There is no proper gorilla yet. One of few animals not yet covered in Pokemon.
Uhhh.

We've had a Gorilla Pokemon since third gen. Of course, it's a mix of sloth and gorilla, but gorilla is still gorilla.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Side topic, I think I'd actually enjoy a more maturely-done exploration of Samus's character in a more grounded sense. I could see the storytelling team behind Spec Ops: The Line working well with her, especially since she has many parallels with Capt. Walker. A dispatch to the ruined Zebes to mop up Space Pirate resistance signals and as she ventures deeper into the terminally-damaged world. She fights ever-increasing odds, much like her experience in Super Metroid, her power growing more fierce and her brutality increasing as anger builds at having to clear this out the third time. Twist final boss would be the dessicated and decayed remains of Mother Brain, that Samus wants to fight. She wants it to be real, to justify her power, her 'mission'.

Maybe she doesn't make it off Zebes this time. Not because she was killed. Because she's home now in her own little world of hell.

Dark Samus and SA-X were just the negative elements of her personality given anthropormorphic form. Samus remains a killer at heart. She works alone, doesn't speak to her opponents, and utterly destroys them with little thought otherwise. She's stared too long into the abyss, and civilization holds nothing for her anymore. The one that groomed her is dead, the other one treats her as a weapon more than a person. A third one she exterminates whenever it dares to come to power.

Last edited:

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Heh, one of GameFAQs's more vocal Ridley haters is moving the goal posts. Beforehand he cited the largeness of Ridley's shadow as a reason Ridley is not playable, along with taking the segment at face value as a reason. We've proven Ridley's shadow might actually be embellishing his size and he might be quite amicable in terms of size, and now he's saying "Oh but why does that mean that Ridley is playable? He might just be made smaller as a boss!"

Hilarious.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Seems to be a majority.

Everyone who's rating Ridley's chances are spouting the same rhetoric about how they're "not blinded by the hype" and that our evidence and analysis is just us being delusional.

Personally, I haven't seen ANYONE try making a case that Ridley's a boss beyond 2-3 pieces of evidence, so in the long run, I think we've made better progress in figuring out Ridley.
Just the too big argument: Doesn't change his chance and I can't understands that people bother so much.

Shadow in the direct: Change SIGNIFICANTLY his chance but it's from "probably" to a "can't tell you only what I think".

Is that so hard to understand? I feel like someone who wants to give a letmegooglethatforyou link. Just check before judging.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Just the too big argument: Doesn't change his chance and I can't understands that people bother so much.

Shadow in the direct: Change SIGNIFICANTLY his chance but it's from "probably" to a "can't tell you only what I think".

Is that so hard to understand? I feel like someone who wants to give a letmegooglethatforyou link. Just check before judging.
I'm just looking at the Rating chances thread for a general impression. And frankly, it's not good.
His wings stretch across the stage.
Yes. Yes they do.

Last edited:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I find it hard to believe that Ridley would have just randomly assaulted the colony for the evulz. It's more likely he was acting under MB's orders(given their nature as pirates, this isn't unreasonable). Therefore Samus would have every right to hate MB as much for ordering the strike that she(it?) knew would kill so many as the man(dragon) that actually pulled the trigger.
Acually Ridley is the only responsible for this, he wanted to steal the Afloraltite (an equivalent of fuel) of the colonny.
Back then, Mother Brain was still at the service of the Chozos.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I'm pretty sure most casual Nintendo fans recognize Ridley way before Mother Brain, and he's in more games, including every one Mother's in. Don't get me wrong, Mother is the villain, but most non-Metroid fans probably think Ridley is the main villain.
Ridley was also a boss in Nintendo Land same with Kraid. No Mother Brain in sight.

Lets also not forget this day.....Ridley represented Metroid on this day. Up there with classics like Bowser, Ganondorf, Wario, and Dr. Wily.

Nintendo knows who the true main villain of Metroid is.

http://youtu.be/ZY1220LQsX0?t=1m23s

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340

The problem is the Ridley haters bash the supporters more than any other wanted character, I'm pretty sure. And no, his chance is the same as it was before the direct, I believe, but people can be hopeful for their guy, same with your support for Paper Mario. The difference is people don't bash you or Paper Mario for saying you support him for the next Smash Bros.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm just looking at the Rating chances thread for a general impression. And frankly, it's not good.
And? RTC is not representative just check for Paper Mario I never rated him because of that. If I say 0% want because I don't care than it will lower the rating while I don't hate him. Arbitrary numbers are bad to represent chances.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Acually Ridley is the only responsible for this, he wanted to steal the Afloraltite (an equivalent of fuel) of the colonny.
I'll admit ignorance of the overall timeline. Still, MB's always been more threatening and intimidating. She's not one to go toe-to-toe directly unless either cornered or having an ace up her sleeve though, so that hurts her perception.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
The problem is the Ridley haters bash the supporters more than any other wanted character, I'm pretty sure. And no, his chance is the same as it was before the direct, I believe, but people can be hopeful for their guy, same with your support for Paper Mario. The difference is people don't bash you or Paper Mario for saying you support him for the next Smash Bros.
I just think his chances changed because before, I could say that he's popular and it was a "we have no hints therefore, we will pick our sides" type of thing (Paper Mario is this situation now). But after the direct, I can prove that both hazard OR playable is possible so we went trough a freedom of telling his fate (which is more positive considering he already had the popularity and potential) to a double meaning which one of the meaning is hazard.

Imo, I THINK he's playable but I cannot be sure because I can prove to myself that the opposite can happen with facts. You simply couldn't do that before because there wasn't evidences (the potd quote was too dubious to even change his situation).

EDIT: Thanks about Paper Mario. Some character actually would need this kind of support (like @ScatmansWorld25 for vaati).

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
And? RTC is not representative just check for Paper Mario I never rated him because of that. If I say 0% want because I don't care than it will lower the rating while I don't hate him. Arbitrary numbers are bad to represent chances.
Well, I'm also basing my assumptions off Reddit (who still think "too big" is a legitimate argument) and from word-of-mouth of Miiverse.

I never claimed I was a statistics expert, so why are you being so antagonistic toward my opinion?

I'll admit ignorance of the overall timeline. Still, MB's always been more threatening and intimidating. She's not one to go toe-to-toe directly unless either cornered or having an ace up her sleeve though, so that hurts her perception.
Not to mention that Mother Brain has legitimate size issues. Or at least when she actually has limbs.
There's a reason why there aren't any popular Mother Brain support threads, after all.

Last edited:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I just think his chances changed because before, I could say that he's popular and it was a "we have no hints therefore, we will pick our sides" type of thing (Paper Mario is this situation now). But after the direct, I can prove that both hazard OR playable is possible so we went trough a freedom of telling his fate (which is more positive considering he already had the popularity and potential) to a double meaning which one of the meaning is hazard.

Imo, I THINK he's playable but I cannot be sure because I can prove to myself that the opposite can happen with facts. You simply couldn't do that before because there wasn't evidences (the potd quote was too dubious to even change his situation).
It's all speculation until E3 either way. No matter how much people say he's playable or he's never gonna be in a Smash game, it doesn't affect his chances of being in. Only Sakurai and the developer team know at this point and time, because I don't buy any of the leaks that have occurred to this point, especially that ugly...thing that someone said was Ridley.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Personally I always saw Ridley and MB as co-leaders. MB is the brain (haha) who come up with the plans planning everything in the shadow while Ridley take care of the fields operations and goes solo for the most difficult ones (exemple : steal the baby Metroid and destroy Ceres) as space pirates strongest member.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Personally I always saw Ridley and MB as co-leaders. MB is the brain (haha) who come up with the plans planning everything in the shadow while Ridley take care of the fields operations and goes solo for the most difficult ones (exemple : steal the baby Metroid and destroy Ceres) as space pirates strongest member.
I don't see Ridley or MB as ones to share power though, and considering Ridley's heartbeat is a key for entry to MB's realm(M1, SM), that would suggest she has priority or at least significant influence over him.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I find it hard to believe that Ridley would have just randomly assaulted the colony for the evulz. It's more likely he was acting under MB's orders(given their nature as pirates, this isn't unreasonable). Therefore Samus would have every right to hate MB as much for ordering the strike that she(it?) knew would kill so many as the man(dragon) that actually pulled the trigger.
Actually, no. Mother Brain was not yet leader of the Space Pirates at the time Samus was orphaned by Ridley. When Samus first met Mother Brain, she was just a supercomputer that was used by the Chozo on Planet Zebes. Not only that, she monitored Samus's training in her power suit and gave advice on how to use it. They didn't get along with each other though; Mother Brain was social darwinist who thought little of "inferior beings" and disregarded Samus as someone who wouldn't survive the planet's harsh climate.

Mother Brain joined forces with the Space Pirates and became their leader when Ridley attacked the place. She decided to betray the Chozo because she wanted to bring order to the galaxy, disposing of them in the process.

The reason Ridley attacked K-2L, Samus's homeworld, was because he wanted to get control over the Afloralite, crystals that can be made into fuel gel.

In case if you ask, all of this information came from the Manga, which is considered canon.

...Oh, it looks like I was ninja'd.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well, I'm also basing my assumptions off Reddit (who still think "too big" is a legitimate argument) and from word-of-mouth of Miiverse.

I never claimed I was a statistics expert, so why are you being so antagonistic toward my opinion?
nah I know but just don't use ONLY RTC. I saw a lot of difference for other characters as well.

I'm not antagonist; I'm just saying that you shouldn't BASE your opinion about RTC but reedit I guess it's fine.

It's all speculation until E3 either way. No matter how much people say he's playable or he's never gonna be in a Smash game, it doesn't affect his chances of being in. Only Sakurai and the developer team know at this point and time, because I don't buy any of the leaks that have occurred to this point, especially that ugly...thing that someone said was Ridley.
Oh well if you're seeing this on this angle, I can tell this for every characters since Sakurai already decided the roster.

But by chance, I mean expectation. It's true that if indeed Sakurai did hinted towards ridley being playable OR boss, his fate would've already been decided before (if not how the heck would that even make any sense?).

What I'm saying is that I can legitimately expect to have 50% of me saying that ridley will be hazard but it doesn't change the fact that I can legitimately THINK he would be playable.

I just saw his situation different as you that's all.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
RTC can be fun at times, but I don't buy any of their predictions one bit. They said Rosalina had a 12% chance of getting in, and yet she's playable. I also seriously doubt they would've given Greninja a good rating had they gotten to it before the Direct.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Mother Brain is certainly a higher rank but Ridley is probably the raw power and brute force right-hand-dragon. He's a commander, and Mother is the admiral of the Pirates, if you will.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings

Not to mention that Mother Brain has legitimate size issues. Or at least when she actually has limbs.
There's a reason why there aren't any popular Mother Brain support threads, after all.
I dunno, I could see a MODOK-style situation with her working reasonably. Proportions'd be square on, regardless.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
RTC can be fun at times, but I don't buy any of their predictions one bit. They said Rosalina had a 12% chance of getting in, and yet she's playable. I also seriously doubt they would've given Greninja a good rating had they gotten to it before the Direct.
That is just one example of it. Seriously even the op advise to not take this as argument but rather a game (which it is after all). So you shouldn't take this seriously (again numbers aren't accurate enough to describe chances).

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
It does raise the question as to why he'd work for Mother Brain though. He clearly was already the Commander the Space Pirates, so what did he have to gain with siding with her? Ridley seems more like Wolf (only even more sinister and bloodthirsty) anyway, in other words an evil faction not connected with the "main" antagonist.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
It does raise the question as to why he'd work for Mother Brain though. He clearly was already the Commander the Space Pirates, so what did he have to gain with siding with her? Ridley seems more like Wolf (only even more sinister and bloodthirsty) anyway, in other words an evil faction not connected with the "main" antagonist.
Well, MB may have just been more powerful than he was. She usually is, in every appearance she makes. Ridley wouldn't dare cross MB even in Super.

EDIT: I think a fallacy folk are making is one of 'Asskicking = Authority'. Yes, Ridley is strong, and yes, we see him butcher and kill and destroy onscreen, but he's still not the total boss. This begs the question. What's MB doing that scares that into submission?

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
As I've said; not a statistics expert.

My expertise isn't on surveying everyone and their mother on whether Rids is playable or not: My thing is making scale models, looking at the stage, and occasionally bugging angelglory Wizardglory for bits and pieces of model parts.

THIS is my biggest contribution to the thread. Not some statistics I made up because I hang around toxic sites.

Mother Brain probably promised Ridley a basket of puppies or children for him to eat. But in all seriousness, if you're a bloodthirsty psychopath who loves killing, who could pass up the opportunity to do even more killing on a massive scale?

Ridley has no delusions of grandeur or universal conquest. He leads the Space Pirates on raids for supplies, but the true prize is the opportunity to slaughter everyone wholescale.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Heh, one of GameFAQs's more vocal Ridley haters is moving the goal posts. Beforehand he cited the largeness of Ridley's shadow as a reason Ridley is not playable, along with taking the segment at face value as a reason. We've proven Ridley's shadow might actually be embellishing his size and he might be quite amicable in terms of size, and now he's saying "Oh but why does that mean that Ridley is playable? He might just be made smaller as a boss!"

Hilarious.
You know what else is hilarious? Your avatar. And I love it.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Well, MB may have just been more powerful than he was. She usually is, in every appearance she makes. Ridley wouldn't dare cross MB even in Super.

EDIT: I think a fallacy folk are making is one of 'Asskicking = Authority'. Yes, Ridley is strong, and yes, we see him butcher and kill and destroy onscreen, but he's still not the total boss. This begs the question. What's MB doing that scares that into submission?
When MB actually beg Ridley for help when she is getting beaten, it's pretty hard to think that she is stronger than him =/

Maybe Ridley just accepted that she is more fit as a leader since she is smarter and have Chozo's knowledge and don't really care about the title as long as he can kill as much as he wants.

Sorry if I'm a little slow to answer, I'm playing Mario Kart 8 at the same time ^^

Last edited:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Maybe Ridley just accepted that she is more fit as a leader since she is smarter and have Chozo's knowledge and don't really care about the title as long as he can kill as much as he wants.
Maybe M1 was Ridley's initial decision to stick with MB, but there's zero debate that SM Ridley and SM MB would result in a hilariously one-sided fight which would end as soon as MB got tired of entertaining her pet dragon.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
AI/giant organic supercomputers being the final boss in Metroid is just kind of a thing that they don't really knock. Space Pirates corrupt ultimate source of knowledge/power, it in turn helps them, then turns out ruling/leading them, Ridley goes in as first/last line of defense, gets prematurely snuffed, final boss goes kerplode, planet blows up, Samus shoots at straggling pirates as she escapes. It's not just Mother Brain, you don't see anyone calling the Omega Metroid/Aurora Unit/Phantoon the main antagonist of their respective games. They just...stand in your way later than Ridley does.

If anything I'd say Ridley's not-death being tradition seems to be more important than him ever being the final boss. Not counting Ridleybot/Ice Ridley.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
When MB actually beg Ridley for help when she is getting beaten, it's pretty hard to think that she is stronger than him =/

Sorry if I'm a little slow to answer, I'm playing Mario Kart 8 at the same time ^^
LUCKY. Anyways, I think Mother was always the mastermind and Ridley respected her enough to not overthrow her. Ridley could easily kill her if he wanted to, though.

Top Bottom