• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
That teaser site is likely fake. According to Whois.com, a Domain Name Registration site, the domain link is registered with a Hotmail account. This is certainly not what Nintendo would use, they would go through official means and register the domain in the company's name. So this is just basically most likely a hoax, the registrant is a fan trying to trick everyone into thinking this is a teaser towards a character reveal.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I haven't played Prime 3 or Other M, so I'll take your word on their contender status for most linear, but I can't imagine them being nearly as bad as I remember Fusion to be in that regard.

Like I said, I enjoyed Fusion, it's just not what I was looking for in a Metroid game. It wasn't a memorable game, really, and its attempt to infuse the game with story did it no favors. The cutscenes took me out of the game in almost every case. I don't think people really HATE Fusion. I think in the case of my argument, hate was a bad word to use. Dislike would've been better, but too late now, eh? Besides, Fusion's so old at this point that you're not going to see anyone really complain about it, and Other M kinda took Fusion's place as most disliked Metroid in the series.

I never really touched the Prime games. I played Prime 1 all the way through, tried to play Prime 2 and got turned off half-way through by the stupid plot. Didn't bother with Prime 3. I never touched Other M 'cause I don't have a Wii, but I have a friend who does, and has Other M, so I might well try it now just to formulate my own opinion about it.

I agree Prime 1 pulled it off well, but that's 'cause they segmented the silly story with long stretches of genuine gameplay and exploration, which I find genuinely amusing since Fusion kinda launched right alongside Prime 1, or close to it, right? I honestly can't recall. Either way, I think they let it get to their head with Prime 2. Anyway, I liked the Metroid games with a minimum of story. Anything more story-wise than Super Metroid's intro is too much for a Metroid game, in my honest opinion. So, I'll concede that I can't speak for everyone, but I think a lot of points people will agree with me on.

All I want is a Metroid game that tells me what I'm doing in the intro and then lets me tackle it any way I want and discover ways to deviate from the normal sequence of events. The games that don't are just a storytelling device pretending to be a Metroid game.

But, I'll agree this isn't really for this topic, so I guess I'm done here.
1) Having played Fusion relatively recently I would consider it far more linear than any metroid except for Other M.
2) I don't know why people love Fusion and hate Other M now, 80% of the time for the exact same reasons, but I'm going to be 100% alone in that irk.
3) I generally don't need plot in my Metroid myself. Just exploration on an alien world and stuff to do.

But yeah I dunno. Doesn't matter a whole lot here.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Imagine If Ridley's voice sounded like

yes this is just an excuse to show a cool song, what of it?

Death never looked so vibrant
Tall like a tyrant, but coloured in violent

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Imagine If Ridley's voice sounded like

yes this is just an excuse to show a cool song, what of it?
The combination of Ragyo's hair and funky music makes me laugh so hard

But yeah synthesized funky rapping Ridley is obligatory. How can nobody else see this?

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
The thing is though what makes you so sure Smash 4 Ridley's tail size would be the same as Other M Ridley?
Other M Ridley's tail is proportionately the skinniest tail Ridley has ever had. If Sm4sh Ridley's tail is thicker, then "Ridley is too small" would once again be a legitimate complaint of mine. And you know how well THAT went. If Sm4sh Ridley's tail is skinnier, then I imagine that would look silly. Like claiming a string attached to your pants makes you a lion or tiger.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So the deal with the leaks for anyone not up to date:

The pictures are supposedly of the character selection screen, namely the demos at Best Buy and the Smash Invitational. Each franchise is grouped together. There are two spaces in between Samus and Pit, one obviously being reserved for ZSS. The last pic the leaker gave out has a character between ZSS and Pit whose name ends with "y" and is supposedly grouped with the Metroid franchise.

Whether this is real or not of course remains to be seen, seems like too much of a tease to only just catch the "y" to me, but we'll see I suppose.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So what do you guys think of Ridley's portrait? Oh... yeah... there wasn't one.
Even when there are supposed leaks abound we still don't get to see him. If this is real I'm going to laugh in stitches over how damn coincidental and typical that is.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I would **** my pants if that icon really was Ridley's. I mean, who else has their name end with the letter 'y'?

You don't need to tell me, I just want to dream...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Btw, you can actually see that Player 2 has selected what's supposedly Ridley, and that there's a Metroid icon down with Player 2's selected character in the corner.

People haven't actually killed it yet either.

I hate to get too hyped up guys... but this could be happening I guess?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Please let this be like the Palutena leak.

Please...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I would **** my pants if that icon really was Ridley's. I mean, who else has their name end with the letter 'y'?

You don't need to tell me, I just want to dream...
Some would be saying Anthony is a possibility, but look at how much space the Y character's name takes of the black bar and compare it to Villager's name at the black bar. It's obviously not a very long name since it doesn't reach the edge of the bar, and Anthony's name is only one letter short of Villager's, thus it has to be Ridley.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Some would be saying Anthony is a possibility, but look at how much space the Y character's name takes of the black bar and compare it to Villager's name at the black bar. It's obviously not a very long name since it doesn't reach the edge of the bar, and Anthony's name is only one letter short of Villager's, thus it has to be Ridley.
So...Does this mean you think he's playable again?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Sorry to be a downer, but I do think the leak is fake. There seem to be a number of inconsistencies with it that discredit it, I think.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So...Does this mean you think he's playable again?
Well, I've certainly gotten an enormous dash of hope. We'll see, it's soon 3AM where I am so I'm heading to bed, but I might just stick around up 'till E3. No promises yet though.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Sorry to be a downer, but I do think the leak is fake. There seem to be a number of inconsistencies with it that discredit it, I think.
Wasn't the 4Chan post that leaked it deleted afterwards? The pictures are probably fake, true, but I can't help but think that they're real because of that.

I think the only way we can find out if it's 100% genuine is when the demos for SSB4 are available at Best Buy.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Wasn't the 4Chan post that leaked it deleted afterwards? The pictures are probably fake, true, but I can't help but think that they're real because of that.

I think the only way we can find out if it's 100% genuine is when the demos for SSB4 are available at Best Buy.
I suppose so, but I still think the obvious flaws in the images strongly indicate it to be nothing more than a nice looking fake.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
1) Having played Fusion relatively recently I would consider it far more linear than any metroid except for Other M.
2) I don't know why people love Fusion and hate Other M now, 80% of the time for the exact same reasons, but I'm going to be 100% alone in that irk.
3) I generally don't need plot in my Metroid myself. Just exploration on an alien world and stuff to do.

But yeah I dunno. Doesn't matter a whole lot here.
Fusion is very tightly focused with pretty amazing level design and satisfying controls. Other M is not.

People do complain about the linearity, but I rarely see any denial about it being an actual good ACTION game. Linearity isn't Other M's only (or biggest) problem.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You'd be regarded a hero (or a villain) if you pointed those obvious flaws out. ;)
Well, for one, there are multiple player 3 spots, it looks like. There's no hand cursor on the P1 token. Marth is shown on what appears to be the Player 2 screen when the P1 cursor is over him. Marth isn't in one of the pictures despite the P1 cursor being over him both times.

How's that?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Well, for one, there are multiple player 3 spots, it looks like. There's no hand cursor on the P1 token. Marth is shown on what appears to be the Player 2 screen when the P1 cursor is over him. Marth isn't in one of the pictures despite the P1 cursor being over him both times.

How's that?
To be fair, for the first point, that could be CPU level as that's consistent between all four screens. Similarly, Marth is in the Player One screen as its directly below Lucario while the second one is below Marth. In the second screen, it starts with the one below Marth, and you can see two more to the right of it.

The hand cursor is a good point though.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I Always take leaks with a lot of salt

But that doesn't mean I can't have a favourite~

majora_787

Smash Hero
Fusion is very tightly focused with pretty amazing level design and satisfying controls. Other M is not.

People do complain about the linearity, but I rarely see any denial about it being an actual good ACTION game. Linearity isn't Other M's only (or biggest) problem.
That's a very interesting thing to call it. I wasn't aware we were playing the "Sugarcoat things in nice-sounding BS" game. Are we all going to get around in a circle and talk about how Sonic 06 is just "Eccentirc in its programming and is a unique perspective into game design, combined with a challenge of an abnormally strict timeframe"? No? Of course not, that would be ridiculous.

EDIT: The number in the corner of the boxes could be CPU level. Marth is in the first character box. And the lack of cursors is strange but COULD be because it is handled via touch screen on the Wii U tablet or something. It's something we will just have to wait on.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
That's a very interesting thing to call it. I wasn't aware we were playing the "Sugarcoat things in nice-sounding BS" game. Are we all going to get around in a circle and talk about how Sonic 06 is just "Eccentirc in its programming and is a unique perspective into game design, combined with a challenge of an abnormally strict timeframe"? No? Of course not, that would be ridiculous.
Are you normally this unpleasant?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Is that normally the word you use for people who have a different opinion from yours?
Did I say anything that dismisses your opinion to get that reaction out of you? Or did I need to say "imo" to make sure everyone knows I'm just telling my opinion?

What's your problem?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
WE GET IT, YOU DON'T LIKE FUSION, DON'T NEED TO MAKE A BIG DEAL ON IT, GEEZ.

Seriously man, it's okay to have a different opinion than that of the majority of people, but Christ. Do you really have to be such a snark to someone who's giving legitimate points on why they think a game you consider bad to be not that bad?

Last edited:
Top Bottom