• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

ender_idk

Smash Journeyman
I must admit, the only Metroid game I've ever played is Super Metroid (got it during the 30 cent Wii U virtual console deal), and I've barley played it. I beat the plant boss (forget its name) and that's about it. Love the music though.

Same here actually...... ._.

(Well except that I got it on the wii before i even got a wii u)

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't think that Ridley will be a boss if he is a playable character.
And vice versa.

I think both scenarios are pretty likely.
I'm not one of the "playable Ridley and boss Ridley can coexist" guys.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
And vice versa.

I'll be honest, I can see Sakurai doing 'playable Ridley and boss Ridley' 'cause he's an enormous troll.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I think the whole Ridley is a stage boss thing is an illusion.
What?

Do go on.
And vice versa.

Elaborate if you want. I respect your opinion, by the by. I'm being neutral on this; I want some honest answer
Ridley will be a boss.

Just like Bowser.
but isnt bowser playable

Morbi

Scavenger
No, Ridley will not be a boss character. The only way that would be possible is if he was both a boss and a playable character, which doesn't seem too likely.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
No, Ridley will not be a boss character. The only way that would be possible is if he was both a boss and a playable character, which doesn't seem too likely.
Well, unless he is a boss and nothing else.

Not everyone here shares your confidence in a playable Ridley.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Sakurai's known to be a big troll, but he doesn't always lie. Even after coming back here and joining in on the speculation, I'm still pessimistic about what's going to happen.

I've already decided to only get the 3DS version, because that way I won't have to encounter stage hazardly.

Morbi

Scavenger
Sakurai's known to be a big troll, but he doesn't always lie. Even after coming back here and joining in on the speculation, I'm still pessimistic about what's going to happen.

I've already decided to only get the 3DS version, because that way I won't have to encounter stage hazardly.
I can't imagine Ridley not being on the 3DS version in some form or another. He is too big to not be included.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I share his confidence, I've become 100% sure of his status
I'm not so confident. There were a ton of people just like you that were 100% confident that Ridley would be playable in Brawl, and we all saw how that turned out. This feels like history repeating itself.

Huh. Deja vu.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
What?

Do go on.

Elaborate if you want. I respect your opinion, by the by. I'm being neutral on this; I want some honest answer

but isnt bowser playable
I think Sakurai is misleading us on purpose. Alot of people ask "What will the curveball character be revealed at E3 that nobody sees coming?" and my answer would be Ridley. Most consider him deconfirmed so what better way to shock the people then to mislead us to believe Ridley is nothing more then a stage boss that way he(Sakurai) can shock the world come E3.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Probably shouldn't be on here, but...

If Ridley is indeed in Smash, I'd like him in this way.

I want little birdie for Smash. When he deals enough damage he'll turn into adolescent Ridley. Then turn into clone Ridley. The bodies of previous stages of the growth cycle will be able to be picked up and thrown. After three hits they'd dissipate.

That's all I'm gonna post here. Haha.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm not so confident. There were a ton of people just like you that were 100% confident that Ridley would be playable in Brawl, and we all saw how that turned out. This feels like history repeating itself.

Huh. Deja vu.
What would really seal it is if Mewtwo were excluded from SSB4 somehow.

Morbi

Scavenger

Huh. Deja vu.
No offense; those people didn't have any reason to believe Ridley was playable, we have logical reasoning to support our argument this time around.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Okay guys, let me ask an honest question:

Do you guys think Ridley will be a boss, or Ridley won't?

This has nothing to do with his playable chances directly.
I'm on the it could go either way or even both side, aka the "I don't know what to think anymore so let's wait for E3" side

D

Deleted member

Huh. Deja vu.
Well, there are some differences this time:
-Not mentioning Ridley by name
-Listening to western audiences
-Had the chance to be deconfirmed
-The shadow analizy concluding that he is at playable size
-Almost no competition that he needs to surpass
Yeah, this convinces me

I want little birdie for Smash. When he deals enough damage he'll turn into adolescent Ridley. Then turn into clone Ridley. The bodies of previous stages of the growth cycle will be able to be picked up and thrown. After three hits they'd dissipate.

With transformations removed, there is no reason to do so(I also don't want him to be a gimmicky character)

Last edited by a moderator:

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
I said this in the backroom and i might as well say it here in public. Ridley is going to be a stage boss for Pyrosphere.

I basically outed anyone saying he MAY be and he MAY NOT be... I wanted people to say: YES he will be playable, or NO he will not be playable. I respected anyone who opposed my stance, but people who were all like: ohhh lets just wait and see...

we are speculators, it is now about 3 weeks away... It is time for you to prove your mettle as a speculator and make a stand for one side or the other, otherwise you'll be that guy who said, "I knew it" for whichever happens.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

Seems to me that would count as a Transforming character.
Which means the idea is not long for this world nor the next, but at least it died quickly.
Really quickly.

Morbi

Scavenger
I said this in the backroom and i might as well say it here in public. Ridley is going to be a stage boss for Pyrosphere.

I basically outed anyone saying he MAY be and he MAY NOT be... I wanted people to say: YES he will be playable, or NO he will not be playable. I respected anyone who opposed my stance, but people who were all like: ohhh lets just wait and see...

we are speculators, it is now about 3 weeks away... It is time for you to prove your mettle as a speculator and make a stand for one side or the other, otherwise you'll be that guy who said, "I knew it" for whichever happens.
Ridley IS going to be playable. I am 100% confident; however, it doesn't mean much coming from me. I have been adamant about his imminent reveal since the Direct offered "direct" evidence. I was actually surprised that so many cowards jumped ship when we actually finally got something objective to support him.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
No offense; those people didn't have any reason to believe Ridley was playable, we have logical reasoning to support our argument this time around.
None taken, but a lot of what we have about Ridley this time isn't much better than nothing. We have a shadow. That's not particularly convincing to me, but I know lots of others are more easily swayed than I am. I prefer conclusive evidence. Comparing shadows is cool, don't get me wrong, and that shows how passionate people are about gathering evidence that Sakurai's an enormous troll, but we don't need shadow comparisons to prove Sakurai loves to rattle the cage.

Well, there are some differences this time:
-Not mentioning Ridley by name
-Listening to western audiences
-Had the chance to be deconfirmed
-The shadow analizy concluding that he is at playable size
-Almost no competition that he needs to surpass
Yeah, this convinces me
I've been on the Ridley topic long enough to know what the differences are, but Sakurai only listened to western audiences once. Everyone rushes to say 'Mega Man!' but both Japan AND America wanted Mega Man. Little Mac was purely western demand, especially if you consider that one topic as a decent enough sample size to show no-one in Japan asked for Little Mac.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ridley and I want him playable as much as everyone else currently here does.. but I'm a man of evidence, logic and reason. You know who else has their shadows scrutinized whenever that stuff comes up? The Loch Ness Monster.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I believe that Sakurai could be messing with us and showing us a playable Ridley in the Direct rather than a boss.
He moves as if someone is controlling him, I feel.
Also, I think lava may be the hazard rather than Ridley.

But Ridley was teased as a hazard so...

I don't think a Ridley will be given the Alfonzo treatment, is what I mean. It's one or the other.

D

Deleted member

Ridley IS going to be playable. I am 100% confident; however, it doesn't mean much coming from me. I have been adamant about his imminent reveal since the Direct offered "direct" evidence. I was actually surprised that so many cowards jumped ship when we actually finally got something objective to support him.
I remember how so many people jumped ship after the Direct, but then, we started analizing shadows and stuff, now, look at this, we are more confident than before :)

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I remember how so many people jumped ship after the Direct, but then, we started analizing shadows and stuff, now, look at this, we are more confident than before :)
Don't even need the shadow to tell us that.

....And 9 Months later that "second" never came...Only a shadow...

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
So let's make a quick resume of all arguments against him and their counters
-"Ridley was shown at the boss section" He was shown in the yellow devil section and his comment was vague as it could mean a) Hazardly could appear in the pyrosphere or b) Ridley, who is a boss character like bowser and ganondorf, may appear in other stages, as playable
-"Sakurai may have not shown ridley because he is incomplete" Sakurai didn't have a problem in showing the phantom slash and the super leaf when they were incomplete, this argument is a bit funny because a lot of things he has shown is still in development, aka, incomplete
This is the way I see the situation: Sakurai made his homework and knows that ridley is one of the biggest controversials characters in gaming story and decied to reveal him in an unexpected way, he first teased people with a multi meaning commentary, then showed his shadow before he showed the FD version of the pyrosphere so that would make people not notice the lack of lava in that version I'm almost sure that Ridley will be revealed when he is about to show the boss hazards, something like this
"I'm going to explain another boss now (shows ridley in battlefield) but first let me show you our new metroid newcomer
Ridley would be unexpected and would make hype, and that's a winning combination

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Well, while I still hold reservations for the sake of safeguarding against a bad outcome, if I had to pick I side I'm believing we'll see Ridley on the playable field, and not any of that "playable boss" nonsense, I mean as a character in the actual roster, where he rightly should be.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Misleading and lying are not the same.

Saying Zero Suit Samus is deconfirmed....Now thats lying. Ridley's situation isn't the same.
Yeh. I think Sakurai basically is orchestrating a scenario to throw notice at Ridley but also question as to whether he'll be playable and/or assumption that he won't, but he's not LYING since he hasn't actually confirmed Ridley to be anything. Implications are implications, and you can imply one thing and say/do another. Especially given the nature of what we've seen.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
My stream skipped over the Ridley section so when my friend messaged me "Ridley deconfirmed," my heart skipped beats throughout the rest of the Direct. Sakurai couldn't have really deconfirmed Ridley with at most 15 seconds that I missed. He at least deserves more than that. Then I went back to the Yellow Devil section after the recording was uploaded and went to see Ridley's deconfirmation. I saw the shadow. After Zero Suit Samus being cut I saw the shadow. After Psuedo-Palutena's trophy I saw the shadow. After ****ing Greninja's trailer I saw the supposed deconfirmation I was having a crisis of faith over, and all I could think in regards to the entire situation?

Louie G.

Smash Hero

Fine, in that case I will take my side.

Ridley will be a playable character in Super Smash Bros 4.

There's a lot going in Ridley's favor: all that's going against him is that darned shadow.

I'm still not 100% but I may as well.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm acknowledging that either outcome is possible, but if I were asked to bet money I would bet on Ridley's playability.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Hell even I predicted Phantom being a move. At the time there was a definite pattern implying it would be a move and not an assist trophy, but noooo. I was craaaazy, it was so obviously an assist trophy. Until of course it wasn't an assist trophy. Then it was sooooo obviously a move and was never an assist trophy. :p Hindsight is wonderful.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Hell even I predicted Phantom being a move. At the time there was a definite pattern implying it would be a move and not an assist trophy, but noooo. I was craaaazy, it was so obviously an assist trophy. Until of course it wasn't an assist trophy. Then it was sooooo obviously a move and was never an assist trophy. :p Hindsight is wonderful.
Well, do you think Ridley is playable?

Top Bottom