• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Morbi

Scavenger
It shouldn't bother you Morbid.

I was an avid Mac supporter and immediately though "Punch Out".
No, the Little Mac hind-sight bias doesn't really bother me. I have seen you vehemently supporting Mac, but nothing was objective at that point in time. The hind-sight bias circumstances that still bother me, to this day: Toon Link and Charizard. Toon Link because I was called delusional and incompetent despite providing a myriad of reasons for his inclusion, only to have everyone adamantly assert that he was obvious. Charizard, because everyone was okay with it, people actually think it is more ideal (contrary to what they thought when I introduced it using, again logic). The Rosalina one didn't bother me too much because I joined her supporting cast fairly late, I wasn't on board day 1 or anything like that. About a month before her reveal I was definitively supporting her.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Did they really?
Yes indeed. There's strong evidence in favor of the fact that Froakie was the most popular starter. For those not willing to click links:

https://twitter.com/yamamotoperoshi/...75602016022528

A street poll was held in Japan and people had to choose between the three Kalos starters and the Kanto starters. The results were:

Pokemon X and Y
  1. Keromatsu (Froakie) - 100pts.
  2. Fokko (Fennekin) - 94pts
  3. Harimaron (Chespin) - 37pts

Pokemon Red and Green
  1. Hitokage (Charmander) - 100pts
  2. Fushigidane (Bulbasaur) - 78pts
  3. Zenigame (Squirtle) - 58pts
So while Fennekin was pretty close, the evidence suggests more people chose Froakie, so more people wound up with Greninja. Coupled with his immediate popularity in competitive due to easy access to the Hidden Ability for it, Protean, and you have yourself a solid guess for the X/Y Representative, at least in Japan, anyway. I think it's fair they got Greninja, since we got Charizard, hands down the most popular Pokemon over here after Pikachu.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
There being crystal clear indicators of the Boxing Ring's Punch Out!! origin (the triple stars on the mat, the Sandman green light show) from day one is entirely different from Ridley being teased in a ridiculously ambiguous manner, with no one able to do anything but spew hypotheticals based on perception ("That shadow looks playable! Look closely!!").

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
So I went on Gamfaqs to see what they had to say about Ridley.

The results were nothing less than genius.

View attachment 14342

Yeah.
That last one is definitely not a 10 year-old.
And his answers...

I agree with you.

We need more real dragons.
He's not a dragon
He's too small :)
He's slightly bigger than Little Mac
Because you touch yourself at night
No my dad does
Ridley is to big!
As I said, he's only slightly bigger than Little Mac.
... *cringes* Yeah...

I think he should abort his mission immediately...

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Yes indeed. There's strong evidence in favor of the fact that Froakie was the most popular starter. For those not willing to click links:

So while Fennekin was pretty close, the evidence suggests more people chose Froakie, so more people wound up with Greninja. Coupled with his immediate popularity in competitive due to easy access to the Hidden Ability for it, Protean, and you have yourself a solid guess for the X/Y Representative, at least in Japan, anyway. I think it's fair they got Greninja, since we got Charizard, hands down the most popular Pokemon over here after Pikachu.
Apparently Bulbasaur was beating Squirtle, so that poll isn't "evidence," IT IS FABRICATION!

Just kidding, I just found that surprising.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Apparently Bulbasaur was beating Squirtle, so that poll isn't "evidence," IT IS FABRICATION!

Just kidding, I just found that surprising.
The fact that Charizard is still at the top of that poll doesn't surprise me. ;)

How does Charizard link to Ridley? They both have wings, of course!

Still on topic after all these years!

But did Japanese Smash Bros fans expect Greninja to be in Smash Bros?
If people have used Greninja loved him, I'd say at the very least a fair number of people were hoping for and expecting Greninja. I don't have exact numbers and, y'know, I'm not Japanese, but the street poll is the best evidence we have that Japan was clearly thinking about him.

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
So, what did I miss after I went to go slay dragons sacrifice people to the Blood God to improve Ridley's chances?

I also love that the only proof Ridley exists in SSB4 is his shadow, and 1 tail spike. It's like Sakurai wanted to be 100% conclusive on Ridley's fate!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I have no idea why it got resized, since I literally just took your picture, traced it, and reuploaded it. BUT SHRUG.

EDIT: Inb4 I resized Ridley.
I'Unno, resizing might happen if you just ctrl+v onto imgur. I uploaded the pic directly from my computer.

Hopefully you still have your thing...

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'Unno, resizing might happen if you just ctrl+v onto imgur. I uploaded the pic directly from my computer.

Hopefully you still have your thing...
I uploaded it directly. I'll try uploading it again.

EDIT: I had dragged and dropped the first time and uploaded the second time. The image is the appropriate size on my computer, but Imgur insists on shrinking it.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
You know I just thought of something. What if shadows don't move at the same frames-per-second as the models do?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Okay guys, let me ask an honest question:

Do you guys think Ridley will be a boss, or Ridley won't?

This has nothing to do with his playable chances directly.
I am almost definitely positive Other M Ridley, aka the Ridley that was shown via a shadow, is a boss.

Classic/Melee/Brawl Ridley could definitely be playable and still has a shot, especially if Masahiro Sakurai isn't just being a jerk (which he is... A lot!!!).

These 2 Ridleys are different characters after all, like Toon Link and Conductor Link, the playable ROB (aka the Ancient Minister) and the common ROBs (who die for said Minister's sins).

Really anyone counting out an scenario for Ridley at this point is being a fool, and deserves to be called as such.

The same goes for the people who are just out for likes to make garbage one liners insulting people with another point of view that many idiots eat up (you know who you are).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I am almost definitely positive Other M Ridley, aka the Ridley that was shown via a shadow, is a boss.

Classic/Melee/Brawl Ridley could definitely be playable and still has a shot, especially if Masahiro Sakurai isn't just being a jerk (which he is... A lot!!!).

These 2 Ridleys are different characters after all, like Toon Link and Conductor Link, the playable ROB (aka the Ancient Minister) and the common ROBs (who die for said Minister's sins).

Really anyone counting out an scenario for Ridley at this point is being a fool, and deserves to be called as such.

The same goes for the people who are just out for likes to make garbage one liners insulting people with another point of view that many idiots eat up (you know who you are).
You'll turn every post into a chance to call people idiots won't you?
In fact I'm not even sure why you're on this forum still if you seem to hate everyone here.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Does anyone know if that's how Ridley even flies in Metroid games? At least in his Other M fight, the wings were much less active, with two quick flaps to keep himself up in the air. It didn't have the flutter we see in the shadow.

It's probably nothing at all, but it's another bit to throw on the pile.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

I'm sorry, but I think we're either going to get Other M!Ridley playable, or no playable Ridley at all. Despite his intense popularity, Ridley is still just one of many Nintendo villains, and considering that Metroid is more or less represented by Other M in this game it makes sense for him to be based on his latest appearance.

I'll eat crow if we do end up getting a playable incarnation of Ridley that isn't Other M's.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You'll turn every post into a chance to call people idiots won't you?
In fact I'm not even sure why you're on this forum still if you seem to hate everyone here.
No, it's just absolutism is not a thing. It's all made up by people in the community trying to be Sakurai.

Just because various people believe in "rules" doesn't mean the development team did.

I remember back from 2002-2006 arguing over people whether or not 3rd party characters could ever be playable in smash bros!!!

Most people said no, no way. Look how that turned out. We've had 2 thus far playable, 1 who will be playable, and 1 more who all indications point towards will be playable.

Funny how different the world looks in a decade.

Unlike those people who used idiotic arguments, I kept an open mind about it. If you keep an open mind about thing and say "no way" to everything, chances are you won't be as shocked about everything, and you won't be so ANGRY when something is confirmed that breaks your silly little "rules".

===

As for my reputation, I am well-liked by all of the people I consider the best speculators, and honestly, those are the only people's opinions I really look to.

I'm not here to people please or kiss butt and say "oh why can't we all be right". I'm here to articulately debate and prove a point. And when all the past, present, and future evidence points at narrow-minded opinions as wrong (such as a playable being not playable and playable in different incarnations), I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade. I appreciated it when people I respect just flat out tell me the truth, instead of be all willy nilly about it.

This, to me, is clearly a spade. Anything can happen with this. Ridley can be playable and a stage boss, or not playable and a boss. My assumption could be wrong (I left it open that I could be wrong) and Ridley could be playable and not a stage boss, or not a stage boss or playable. The fact of the matter is people who discount things like this as not ever going to happen are almost definitely wrong, or at least they have been "up until now".

Regardless in all of this, there is a difference between being right because your logic was on point and you made a educated hypothesis, and being right because you got lucky and narrowed down to the right point. There's a distinction in all of this.

Granted I don't hate or even dislike people who post foolish things, only where this kind of behavior leads to, and that is bad behavior. I have no quarrel with merely foolish postings, but rather, what it leads to, and that's chaos, craziness, and bitterness, aka what we now call "The Smash Bros. community at GameFAQs".

Last edited:

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
I'm sorry, but I think we're either going to get Other M!Ridley playable, or no playable Ridley at all. Despite his intense popularity, Ridley is still just one of many Nintendo villains, and considering that Metroid is more or less represented by Other M in this game it makes sense for him to be based on his latest appearance.

I'll eat crow if we do end up getting a playable incarnation of Ridley that isn't Other M's.
In all fairness, Samus's armor is Other M's and Pyrosphere is from Other M yes, but the Metroid assist trophies are composite or native designs. I mean Dark Samus didn't have an Other M appearance to pull from, but Mother Brain and Metroid are more or less classic. Not much, but it's something.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm sorry, but I think we're either going to get Other M!Ridley playable, or no playable Ridley at all.
I remember someone saying "either ROB is a common enemy or he is playable. He can't be both!" back in the day.

It is wise to learn from past mistakes and beliefs that even I found myself believing.

Granted, you may be right, but there's no 100% way of knowing. I wouldn't wager on any potential newcomers at this point... except Pac-Man and Miis being newcomers (but that is only because of the Sal leak; if not for that, most of us would truly be logically clueless at this point, well except maybe we'd be more on the K. Rool bandwagon in terms of chances).
Well crowd taste delicious, or so I hear (especially from my cat who has eaten 3). :rotfl:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No, it's just absolutism is not a thing. It's all made up by people in the community trying to be Sakurai.

Just because various people believe in "rules" doesn't mean the development team did.

I remember back from 2002-2006 arguing over people whether or not 3rd party characters could ever be playable in smash bros!!!

Most people said no, no way. Look how that turned out. We've had 2 thus far playable, 1 who will be playable, and 1 more who all indications point towards will be playable.

Funny how different the world looks in a decade.

Unlike those people who used idiotic arguments, I kept an open mind about it. If you keep an open mind about thing and say "no way" to everything, chances are you won't be as shocked about everything, and you won't be so ANGRY when something is confirmed that breaks your silly little "rules".

===

As for my reputation, I am well-liked by all of the people I consider the best speculators, and honestly, those are the only people's opinions I really look to.

I'm not here to people please or kiss butt and say "oh why can't we all be right". I'm here to articulately debate and prove a point. And when all the past, present, and future evidence points at narrow-minded opinions as wrong (such as a playable being not playable and playable in different incarnations), I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade. I appreciated it when people I respect just flat out tell me the truth, instead of be all willy nilly about it.

This, to me, is clearly a spade. Anything can happen with this. Ridley can be playable and a stage boss, or not playable and a boss. My assumption could be wrong (I left it open that I could be wrong) and Ridley could be playable and not a stage boss, or not a stage boss or playable. The fact of the matter is people who discount things like this as not ever going to happen are almost definitely wrong, or at least they have been "up until now".

Regardless in all of this, there is a difference between being right because your logic was on point and you made a educated hypothesis, and being right because you got lucky and narrowed down to the right point. There's a distinction in all of this.

Granted I don't hate or even dislike people who post foolish things, only where this kind of behavior leads to, and that is bad behavior. I have no quarrel with merely foolish postings, but rather, what it leads to, and that's chaos, craziness, and bitterness, aka what we now call "The Smash Bros. community at GameFAQs".
Nowhere in my post did I ever try and say Ridley wasn't going to be playable, nor do I have any specific criteria for which characters get into Smash (because I honestly couldn't give less of a damn as long as they make sense), I was simply responding to this specific sentence;
Honestly that just seems entirely uncalled for.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Looking at the current pic of the day, I could easily picture Giga Mac and Ridley as drinking buddies. Or just chums who like to arm-wrestle with one another.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Honestly that just seems entirely uncalled for.
Go through the thread; you'll see that it is called for.

People give one-liner insults to make themselves look good and people who view things otherwise look dumb by degrading one group or another.

They should be called out as such, and they've been called out as such more lately, which I am pleased with that result.

And if you think that's too much, just stick around here a while, and you'll see exxxxxaaaaacccttttllllllyyyyy what I mean and you'll go "oh yeah that makes sense".

(it's a negative result of the like system IMO)

D

Deleted member

Go through the thread; you'll see that it is called for.

People give one-liner insults to make themselves look good and people who view things otherwise look dumb by degrading one group or another.

They should be called out as such, and they've been called out as such more lately, which I am pleased with that result.

And if you think that's too much, just stick around here a while, and you'll see exxxxxaaaaacccttttllllllyyyyy what I mean and you'll go "oh yeah that makes sense".

(it's a negative result of the like system IMO)
Ah, I misunderstood what you were saying in that post. My mistake.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I know this discusion about taking every descision of Sakuria's as the right one was pages back but I wanted to add something. Remember that no-one is inflailable. Sakamoto, creator of Metroid itself, let story go ahead of gameplay in Other M. Even Miamoto has made bad decisions. Sticker Star's extreme meh-ness in a otherwise excellent series was his fault.

Top Bottom