• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I took a stab at the theoretical Playable Ridley/Ridley hybrid design that's been floating around.

Also, I struggle in vain to draw actual people.
other m.png

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Wat?

I guess Master Hand is a minor cameo then.

....and Bowser is a minor cameo in many Mario games.
Not exactly. I was just using the terminology Golden provided. While being a boss is not necessarily a minor cameo, I would say that they are equal in value, in terms of Smash, at least. That's the idea behind the transitive property, after all. The key point in this case is that both are instances of a character appearing in a non-playable role. I am arguing that neither instance, on their own, is any more of a de-confirmation than the other.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Wat?

I guess Master Hand is a minor cameo then.

....and Bowser is a minor cameo in many Mario games.
I don't think a stage boss can compare in terms of cameo-sity to a long standing villain relationship like Bowser.

As for Master Hand, it can be argued that he has a minor role, thus a minor cameo, but that's subjective. Subjectiveness tends to get a bit messy.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Not exactly. I was just using the terminology Golden provided. While being a boss is not necessarily a minor cameo, I would say that they are equal in value, in terms of Smash, at least. That's the idea behind the transitive property, after all. The key point in this case is that both are instances of a character appearing in a non-playable role. I am arguing that neither instance, on their own, is any more of a de-confirmation than the other.
I don't think a stage boss can compare in terms of cameo-sity to a long standing villain relationship like Bowser.

As for Master Hand, it can be argued that he has a minor role, thus a minor cameo, but that's subjective. Subjectiveness tends to get a bit messy.
Uhh, I don't see how either appearance could be considered a "minor" one. Both Ridley (assuming stage hazard) and Master Hand play a bigger part than a background character like Dedede in Dreamland (now that could be said to be a "minor cameo").

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Uhh, I don't see how either appearance could be considered a "minor" one. Both Ridley (assuming stage hazard) and Master Hand play a bigger part than a background character like Dedede in Dreamland (now that could be said to be a "minor cameo").
As I said, I am not claiming that boss characters are minor roles. The point I was trying to convey was that, in terms of Smash, both roles are instances of a character being in the game in some form that isn't that of a playable character. Neither can really be said to be more damaging to a characters chances than the other on their own.

Again, I am not saying that bosses are minor roles. I hope that is clear at this point.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
As I said, I am not claiming that boss characters are minor roles. The point I was trying to convey was that, in terms of Smash, both roles are instances of a character being in the game in some form that isn't that of a playable character. Neither can really be said to be more damaging to a characters chances than the other on their own.

Again, I am not saying that bosses are minor roles. I hope that is clear at this point.
I do understand, but then simply say that instead lol.

Wording it the other way sounds completely ridiculous.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
So one thing that makes me feel better is seeing Mega Charizard X's flight pattern being very similar to the flying we see Shadow Ridley do.

(Can we call it Shadow Ridley?)

However, Mega Charizard X is a Final Smash. Do we have any footage of regular Charizard flying?

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Yeah, have a fifth player (or less if less people are playing) control him on the Gamepad in the Pyrosphere stage. That'd be sick!

I was about to say that maybe a Giants mode could work. Just have giant characters facing off against each other. Not like in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, where they'd mix normal and Giant characters into the same battle. A Giant mode could open up some possibilities. But I definitely don't see it happening...haha.
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Sakurai said that there wouldn't be any gimmicks with the Gamepad. And controlling something on a stage isn't the same as having a playable character. People want Ridley as a 100% playable character independent from any stage, not a "half-playable, full-stage hazard that you can control on one stage" compromise, making him "half-playable" would be rubbish.

I always find it funny when people say "He's like twice the size of Bowser". Yellow Devil is twice the size of Bowser. And this Ridley is, if ANYTHING can be said with significant levels of certainty, a good amount smaller than the Yellow Devil.
Ridley's meant to be, from indication of sprites, twice as big as Samus. Samus is 6'3" (in her Varia suit), so Ridley would likely be 12'6" tall in his natural crouching state (his height when standing up doesn't matter since he's always crouching). Bowser's official height is over 9' tall (9'3" I think the exact measurement is), so that would make Ridley only a few feet taller than Bowser in Ridley's natural crouching stance, for his sprite forms. So if Yellow Devil is twice as big as Bowser, that would make him 18'6"? Much bigger than Ridley. Of course, since Smash Bros. messes around with sizes, Yellow Devil is probably much bigger than that canonically.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I think the important thing we're all forgetting isn't whether we think Ridley can work, but if Sakurai thinks he can work. It isn't looking too good for us on that front. What we saw of Pyrosphere isn't encouraging either. It's a shame, he'd make a great addition.
Thats exzactlt what i mean that if Ridley aint playable majority of people would think its because impossible or hes too BiG or scaling issues.

Thats a reasonable assumption yes but they will claim it as fact.

Unless Sakurai backs that if Ridley doesnt make it as

Playable no one can ''

say its because ________ thats fact......''

Im saying this because its inevtible thats what people/haters are gonna say.

This whole debate is if anything far from actually if Ridley can/cant/will be playable its just a big argument and people will keep fueling it because of people claiming there opnion is a fact or what i said above the fact of reason why he aint playable.

Its your opnion im sorry we dont share the same opnion or that some people cant see how he can work others can.

Did you think Captain Falcon/Fox/R.O.B could work before?
you say this when you havent even seen his potential

Posture/Stance/Animations/Size.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I think the important thing we're all forgetting isn't whether we think Ridley can work, but if Sakurai thinks he can work. It isn't looking too good for us on that front. What we saw of Pyrosphere isn't encouraging either. It's a shame, he'd make a great addition.
Remember my "Change of heart part" in my posts.

He said ridley is impossible back in the reveiw. But he also said villager cut from brawl because of not a fighting character. And that namco received no special benifit.

And look now villager was a succesful fighting character. Then a little bit later the S flag which is moat likely a assist trophy based item. And the galaga aliens from namco. Both of them = sakurai letting namco stuff in smash bros 4

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Remember my "Change of heart part" in my posts.

He said ridley is impossible back in the reveiw. But he also said villager cut from brawl because of not a fighting character. And that namco received no special benifit.

And look now villager was a succesful fighting character. Then a little bit later the S flag which is moat likely a assist trophy based item. And the galaga aliens from namco. Both of them = sakurai letting namco stuff in smash bros 4
He never said Namco wouldn't get any content in Smash, he said they wouldn't receive special treatment over other 3rd party companies. That turned out to be a fat lie though, as there seems to be quite some Namco representation stretching to multiple franchises, while Sega and Capcom are still kept to one franchise only.

Also, I wouldn't cling too hard to Sakurai changing his mind once. Remember that he seemingly still doesn't fancy Sukapon at all, judging from his comments about fighting game characters in Smash at least, some characters are simply doomed to never appear because of his bias. Sakurai himself is also an AC (perhaps he became so after Brawl?), but I'm still not seeing anything that'd point towards him being a Metroid fan with him making up all kinds of stuff for both Samus' movesets on his own instead of drawing from the game, not to mention ripping off a stage from DoA.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Ironically, I finally first saw Frozen along with its Let it Go song shortly after the Smash direct.

What's this crusade you speak of?!

Probably easier. Would look sillier on him though IMO.

If you're talking about the character discussion thread, gee, I wonder why?
Super Smash Bros. Crusade - It's a fangame and Ridley is in it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Isn't Brawl Meta Ridley about the same size as Brawl normal Ridley? Unless Meta Ridley is significantly smaller than normal Ridley, then they would both be the same size, AKA larger than Yellow Devil.
Meta Ridley is smaller than regular Ridley in Brawl I'm fairly certain. With his wingspan he takes up more space than than Yellow Devil yes, but not if we count that out, and I'd almost count it out since they don't have hitboxes iirc.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Something funny I noticed, but its probably a coincidence:

In Zero Mission, the first boss, Kraid, has 3 eyes and no canon intelligence to speak of.

The second boss, Ridley, has 2 eyes and is smart enough to build a robot.

The third boss (and final boss in the original), Mother Brain, has one eye, and is, well, a gigantic brain, intelligence is without question.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon

The thing with the shadow is, with Bowser's shadow outlined in green (I didn't bother trying to trace Ridley's shadow again)...

It is basically in the area of that orange triangle at its most spread out that we saw it, with the wings cropped off. So I mean Ridley is not some hulking massive thing. Roughly Bowser's size, definitely not Yellow Devil's size or anywhere near.
I'm contesting this on the basis that Mother Brain's shadow proves it's impossible for Bowser's shadow to be on that spot of the stage. That particular area of the stage is already shaded darker than other parts of the floor. I myself have had to look at it carefully.

I already have stated once before to not forget Mother Brain's shadow. You guys really are way WAY WAY too focused on just Ridley's shadow. You received other information. Use it.

(And personally, I think some of you guys really are going off the deep end with this speculation. I haven't commented much about it simply because I just flat out don't agree with some of it.)

Look at that.
Ridley being undeniably "choppy" as a boss. Most notably instances where he doesn't finish his roaring animation and goes straight into an attack.

Sorry Golden, but I have to contest this as well. Firstly, the fact that the battle is in Intense Mode does count for something. Ridley noticeably speeds up between certain transitions, and it can look slight jerky. However transitions between his actions for the most part are very consistent. It begins at a pre-chosen frame and shifts to a very similar pose on the next frame. It isn't always perfect, but the effect still remains rather smooth. Parts such as the tail and wings are far more active and thus are more prone to less-than-smooth transitions, but that can't be helped.

This shadow on the Pyrosphere however is significantly jerky. The transitions it makes hardly even attempt to share similarities between whatever actions are being performed.

I won't say it's proof that Ridley isn't a boss hazard, but the Ridley battle in Brawl really isn't good evidence against such a possibility.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

In Zero Mission, the first boss, Kraid, has 3 eyes and no canon intelligence to speak of.

The third boss (and final boss in the original), Mother Brain, has one eye, and is, well, a gigantic brain, intelligence is without question.
Blind Boss Confirmed! :troll:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I'm just not really convinced that assuming Sakurai is trolling everyone is really good evidence. My issue with the argument, okay, Sakurai didn't mention Ridley by name. Okay and? It's not like Sakurai talked about several bosses before showing the Ridley shadow, he could of simply been reference a boss that would recongizable without having to directly say anything about it for the purpose of dramatic effect or to leave it as ambigous. There is no evidence currently that proves that Sakurai is trolling or Sakurai is making things up about the boss character situation.

That's really my main problem with this situation, speculation is fine in absense of evidence. Now that some evidence has been provided from a direct store, even if it wasn't 100% clear is hard to ignore. Yet, most of the theories I see now are clinging to any theory that pushes away or just plan ignore from the evidence that was provided. At this point the likelyhood of Ridley is far lower then it was though I see some people admitting that. There seems to many more that seem to be liternally denying that fact. To me that is a bit concerning in general.

In the end if it really was a massive troll, I will be willing to admit I was wrong about the situation, but currently I'd rather follow the available evidence that is available then cling to random theories.

majora_787

Smash Hero
If that's not Bowser's shadow, then please point it out to me. This is the original picture. I'm serious, if that's not Bowser's shadow then I have no idea where it is.

EDIT: Also that's funny, with utilizing basic observation skills being "random theories". Random theories are things like "Ridley in the rocks" or "What if an Alfonzo switch is involved". A lot of things going on here are legitimate observation of ACTUAL facts, not an ambiguous situation that you refuse to acknowledge as an ambiguous situation. You not wanting to acknowledge what is there doesn't mean everyone else is crazy for seeing something what you're ignoring for the sake of pessimism.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Hey, as long as we're talking qualifying Ridley arguments, here's a picture of why I believe Ridley didn't grab Pikachu.
tail.png

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Hey, as long as we're talking qualifying Ridley arguments, here's a picture of why I believe Ridley didn't grab Pikachu.View attachment 14065
I thought this was known. Yes that is Ridley's tail.

This also shows that shadows do stretch out alittle bit the lower they are to the ground. His tail being lower then his body.

See Greninja's shadow is stretched out but Charizard's isn't.

Its possible that Ridley's right foot is just lower to the ground then his left foot but its really hard to say. I mean it could make sense cuz Ridley's flying pose almost always has one leg higher then the other as seen here.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Sooo....the next boss will have no eyes and stump Bill gates, Albert einstein & Steven Hawkins in Intelligence?

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I agree with you. The thing that makes it tricky is we never see the grab or see the let go.
Yeah I see what you're saying. I think i'll respond to your other post though. This is simply the way I'm looking at it.

I thought this was known. Yes that is Ridley's tail.

This also shows that shadows do stretch out alittle bit the lower they are to the ground. His tail being lower then his body.

See Greninja's shadow is stretched out but Charizard's isn't.

Its possible that Ridley's right foot is just lower to the ground then his left foot but its really hard to say. I mean it could make sense cuz Ridley's flying pose almost always has one leg higher then the other as seen here.
Now, for all I know, this could be wrong. But, if you look at where Charizard's shadow ends up, it takes up about roughly 1/6 of the shape in the middle of the stage. It's not that big of a shadow really.

Compare this to Ridley's shadow:
ridley.png

Again, this is debatable, as anything is. But that is a LARGE wingspan. Charizard takes up roughly 1/6 of the shape in the middle of the stage. Ridley, or at least his wingspan...almost goes half the length of the stage. That's quite a difference.

Granted, we can't really tell where Ridley is positioned as far as how high he is above the stage. But by no means is he close to Charizard's size. Mind you, Charizard isn't as large as Bowser, but this is still quite a bit of a difference in size.

This is just something I'm pointing out. It might not mean anything. Nobody knows right now I suppose. But my point stands on the fact that the Boss Characters, such as the Yellow Devil, are meant to be much larger than the playable characters, likely to give the players a better chance of hitting them or what have you. Clearly, Ridley's shadow is much, MUCH bigger than Charizards, and I'm even acknowledging that Charizard is not the biggest in the game. But he's certainly not Pikachu either.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Yeah I see what you're saying. I think i'll respond to your other post though. This is simply the way I'm looking at it.

Now, for all I know, this could be wrong. But, if you look at where Charizard's shadow ends up, it takes up about roughly 1/6 of the shape in the middle of the stage. It's not that big of a shadow really.

View attachment 14067
Again, this is debatable, as anything is. But that is a LARGE wingspan. Charizard takes up roughly 1/6 of the shape in the middle of the stage. Ridley, or at least his wingspan...almost goes half the length of the stage. That's quite a difference.

Granted, we can't really tell where Ridley is positioned as far as how high he is above the stage. But by no means is he close to Charizard's size. Mind you, Charizard isn't as large as Bowser, but this is still quite a bit of a difference in size.

This is just something I'm pointing out. It might not mean anything. Nobody knows right now I suppose. But my point stands on the fact that the Boss Characters, such as the Yellow Devil, are meant to be much larger than the playable characters, likely to give the players a better chance of hitting them or what have you. Clearly, Ridley's shadow is much, MUCH bigger than Charizards, and I'm even acknowledging that Charizard is not the biggest in the game. But he's certainly not Pikachu either.
Forgive me for falling back on speculation on how Ridley could work, but a frakking huge wingspan probably wouldn't affect Ridley's hitboxes or chances. As long as he doesn't use them as attacks, they could theoretically be Palutena temple-long wings, the only complaints being some background/foreground clipping and being partially camera obscuring.

After all, its a 2D battlefield, so his wings can easily be stored in the foreground and background, or have both in the background when he's facing the camera.

However, I also understand that an awful lot of characters DON'T stand perfectly in profile, so that one or even both wings could be a potential hitbox. As a character, he would need to keep them folded when idling or turning around.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984

View attachment 14067

Here is Smashoperatingbuddy123 Ridley with no wings.

His body alone is as thick as Charizard (See the dot comparisons of Smashoperatingbuddy123 old post) and not much taller.

His wings are big though I'll give you that but I'm sure Sakurai can make it work.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Forgive me for falling back on speculation on how Ridley could work, but a frakking huge wingspan probably wouldn't affect Ridley's hitboxes or chances. As long as he doesn't use them as attacks, they could theoretically be Palutena temple-long wings, the only complaints being some background/foreground clipping and being partially camera obscuring.
If the wings didn't have hitboxes then that's poor design. Visuals are an important aspect of fighting games, and if a significant part of a character's model doesn't have a hitbox in all his animation then it'd be unnecessarily confusing and problematic. There is absolutely no reason you can hit every other body part but not his wings unless they were insignificant.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
If the wings didn't have hitboxes then that's poor design. Visuals are an important aspect of fighting games, and if a significant part of a character's model doesn't have a hitbox in all his animation then it'd be unnecessarily confusing and problematic. There is absolutely no reason you can hit every other body part but not his wings unless they were insignificant.
You mean like Charizard's? His wings have hitboxes but you can't hit all of it and look at the tail hitbox. Ridley would be the same and its not like Ridley's wings will be pointing straight out all the time. They will most likely be folded when not flying. Why are people making a big deal outta the wings??? I honestly don't get it.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
You mean like Charizard's? His wings have hitboxes but you can't hit all of it and look at the tail hitbox. Ridley would be the same and its not like Ridley's wings will be pointing straight out all the time. They will most likely be folded when not flying. Why are people making a big deal outta the wings??? I honestly don't get it.
It is an important matter in regards to Ridley's design, in most of his designs his wings do make up a decent propertion of his form even compared to a character like Charizard and would be required for consideration if he were playable. So it's a fair thing to discuss whether your for or against his inclusion..

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
As I've said, Smash Bros is a 2D fighting game. Ridley could theoretically stick his wings into the foreground/ background straightened out instead of either directly behind him (drastically increasing his hitbox) or diagonally behind him a la Charizard, (making his hitbox much smaller than it appears)

Just imagine a typical fighter like Mario or Ganondorf, if they carried a ten-foot polearm whose ends jut into the foreground and background at all times. The only time it would pose a "false hitbox" issue is when turning around. And since Ridley can fold his wings...

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
As I've said, Smash Bros is a 2D fighting game. Ridley could theoretically stick his wings into the foreground/ background straightened out instead of either directly behind him (drastically increasing his hitbox) or diagonally behind him a la Charizard, (making his hitbox much smaller than it appears)

Just imagine a typical fighter like Mario or Ganondorf, if they carried a ten-foot polearm whose ends jut into the foreground and background at all times. The only time it would pose a "false hitbox" issue is when turning around. And since Ridley can fold his wings...
Actually now that you say that look here. Ridley's doesn't seem to go all the way up with his wings. Its like he half flaps his wings. Interesting..... ;)

http://youtu.be/fb35vh33Mb8?t=59s

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

Uh there is a hitbox there, a pretty big one. If you try to hit his wings you'll still still be able to hurt him. The tail really isn't a significant body part that you'd try to hit in comparison.

D

Deleted member

Facts about Ridley:
-He appears in the game

That's it, no one can jump into conclusions yet, either he is a boss or playable character will be revealed at E3, while I'm convinced he's playable, I can't call it a fact, it's just my opinion and I hope I'm right. Now, if you think he's a boss, don't come here saying he is without a doubt a boss, because you could turn to be wrong

Top Bottom