• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

PlasticBag

Smash Apprentice
I hate to be that person, but people are looking way too much into the shadows argument.

No matter what people want to say, the fact is that he's been explicitly hinted as a boss (well, Other M). There is no denying it, Other M Ridley is a boss and we do have to accept that. The ONLY way he is EVER going to be playable is if Ridley receives a twin-scenario role; which could happen, but probably won't.
They completely ignored you. lmao

Morbi

Scavenger
I hate to be that person, but people are looking way too much into the shadows argument.

No matter what people want to say, the fact is that he's been explicitly hinted as a boss (well, Other M). There is no denying it, Other M Ridley is a boss and we do have to accept that. The ONLY way he is EVER going to be playable is if Ridley receives a twin-scenario role; which could happen, but probably won't.
That isn't objectively true; in order for that scenario to become fact beyond a reasonable doubt, we would need more than an ambiguous allusion. You can accept whatever you find to be the case, but "we" are not obligated to accept anything definitively until we have more than a hint.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
The only reason I'm going with the shadow argument is to argue the exact opposite of what's being argued in here. Because really, they can't prove anything.

Wait until E3. If he gets revealed, then he gets revealed. He doesn't? I think it's curtains for Good ol' Riddles
Curtains? Hardly. He could always be an unlockable. We've survived too long for this- I don't think it's worth giving up until we have the game in our hands.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
As usual, won't be beating around the bush on any shadow speculation/hopes, but

Lord Ridley requests all our fellow space pirates join him in a moment of silence!

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/culture/Alien_creator_H.R._Giger_is_dead.html?cid=38569780
DAAAYUM... R.I.P.

Will be a dark awkward day when we have this kind of moment of silence for Ridley Scott.

So Batman and C.O.D. Soldier are technically viable? The 12 year olds will be elated.
Don't make me pull a 100+ freeflow combo with explosive gel and bat swarms on your arse! >:
j/k

Super Smash Bros. Crusade - It's a fangame and Ridley is in it.
Was a rhetorical question. Crusade is garbage though; might as well be playing with Ridley on Mugen.

I really wish this TooBigot term could just die.

Might as well start others "shadow believers" or something.
Nah dude, believing in clouds is where it's at.

And other places like 4chan refers to Ridley fans as Ridtards IIRC, so TooBigot is rather benign in comparison.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
The only reason I'm going with the shadow argument is to argue the exact opposite of what's being argued in here. Because really, they can't prove anything.

Wait until E3. If he gets revealed, then he gets revealed. He doesn't? I think it's curtains for Good ol' Riddles
hdf.png

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Curtains? Hardly. He could always be an unlockable. We've survived too long for this- I don't think it's worth giving up until we have the game in our hands.
That is the spirit; I am not going to give up until Sakurai looks me in the eye and says, "I am sorry, I really am a troll, all of those forum members were correct, I am nothing more than a troll. Ridley is a stage-hazard, get over it *****."

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I actually enjoy the term, I feel like it is fairly creative. I mean, the misconception derives from the fact that most fallaciously assert that ALL Ridley detractors are "toobigots" when in actuality there are a plethora of reasons to denounce Ridley as a playable character.
It's not necessarily the context of the term itself, I just feel like using a term to describe individuals who just believe in a pretty insignificant thing to be an inconsiderate and rude thing to do. I always get the impression that it's used in an insulting matter.

4chan is a ****ty place but I figured no one takes it seriously.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Guys there is one more thing but i didnt wanna bring up because its extremely absurd and very few have brang it up but not seriously.

But seeing how Absurd this whole thing is anyway ima say it and i wouldnt really put it past Sakurai to do it tbh.....well now i wouldnt......

Its De-Bug......

The game is still in development we all know this he even said ''some things are subject to change''

This is the sole reason why i dont dabble into the Shadow theory too much.

Some of the stuff we have been shown may never be able to be replecated in game when we have it they have freedom of design and angles.

Example: during the direct when he announced Wire frame mac punching bowser for a few seconds the camera went into a 1st person type view like from punchout....will we be able to do this?

When you get the game and play on oyrosphere will you be able to get that EXACT angle by pausing that the Shadow Ridley clip had?

Why in gods name would you make two versions of the same stage just to hide a character? Mac?

Would you put it past Sakurai to stage that Shadow Clip.

Theres no audio we didnt see Ridley it could have been unfinished PURPOSELY for all we kbow it could have been frigging a bunch of jumbled scrap in shape ''MissinGno'' lol.....

Some on stated that during the direct somewhere when Metagross was summoned on Pyrosphere and dine Earthquake it hit all the characters? Who summoned him?

How can Pikachu be alone on Pyrosphere?
training mode?

Another character is standing on the otherside of the stage unseen?

I dunno........
E3 or Bust imo
I honesly donr know

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I would rather just wait for Project M to create Ridley as a fighter than just play Crusade. Crusade's an OK game, but I would prefer it if I can play as the Space Pirate Commander on a console game, instead of a computer.

And it would be better simply because it won't have ridiculous choices for characters like Goku, Shadow, or Crash Bandicoot.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I'd be careful about putting too much stock in hope. It's usually a good way to cause things to come crashing down.

Morbi

Scavenger
Guys there is one more thing but i didnt wanna bring up because its extremely absurd and very few have brang it up but not seriously.

But seeing how Absurd this whole thing is anyway ima say it and i wouldnt really put it past Sakurai to do it tbh.....well now i wouldnt......

Its De-Bug......

The game is still in development we all know this he even said ''some things are subject to change''

This is the sole reason why i dont dabble into the Shadow theory too much.

Some of the stuff we have been shown may never be able to be replecated in game when we have it they have freedom of design and angles.

Example: during the direct when he announced Wire frame mac punching bowser for a few seconds the camera went into a 1st person type view like from punchout....will we be able to do this?

When you get the game and play on oyrosphere will you be able to get that EXACT angle by pausing that the Shadow Ridley clip had?

Why in gods name would you make two versions of the same stage just to hide a character? Mac?

Would you put it past Sakurai to stage that Shadow Clip.

Theres no audio we didnt see Ridley it could have been unfinished PURPOSELY for all we kbow it could have been frigging a bunch of jumbled scrap in shape ''MissinGno'' lol.....

Some on stated that during the direct somewhere when Metagross was summoned on Pyrosphere and dine Earthquake it hit all the characters? Who summoned him?

How can Pikachu be alone on Pyrosphere?
training mode?

Another character is standing on the otherside of the stage unseen?

I dunno........
E3 or Bust imo
I honesly donr know
This is precisely the reason that I don't buy into the "shadow" theory. I always avoid referring to it under every circumstance when supporting Ridley for this very reason.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
That would beg the question as to why Sakurai would keep Ridley, one of the top 5 requested characters, as an unlockable, instead of revealing him outright so people got more hyped and bought the game.

That wouldn't make sense to me.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I know its insanely! Cheap and dastsrdly so nasty that its absurd to think its possible but it is!

The whole thing could hsve been staged/De-Bugged.

But we have no facts just assumptions so in this case its fair game to bring up.

Im not even saying i 100/ believe this is what he has done i just brang it up because its possible.

I dunno what to believe.

LmAo that all the Lighting/Zoom/Angles dont mean crap and the whole thing was de-bugged and at E3 the Alfonzo thing is true or worse he shows Hazard Ridley and his body doesnt look nothing like the Shadow.

But hey he never showed Ridley anyway before and he said thibgs could change.

Jackass proof?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Like most people, I feel that it's E3 for Ridley or he's not playable.
I'm pretty much 60/40 on the Ridley situation. There's a ton going in his favor but one cannot deny that he was shown off in the boss portion of the Direct, purposefully hinting him as a boss.
So whatever happens, I probably won't be surprised.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
That would beg the question as to why Sakurai would keep Ridley, one of the top 5 requested characters, as an unlockable, instead of revealing him outright so people got more hyped and bought the game.

It makes sense from a logical point, really. Ridley, always playing the antagonistic role, just fits best as an unlockable. Like Mewtwo or Ganondorf.

Morbi

Scavenger

It wouldn't be entirely logical, but sometimes game enjoyment should be prioritized over sales. I mean, everyone already knows that Smash is going to be the best selling Wii U title without bundles. I highly doubt Ridely, a character many already suspect to be de-confirmed (as they do not have a grasp on what de-confirmations are), would up the ante on sales; he is just one character. We will get our hype during E3, there is no single character that can sell the game in the same way that Snake or Sonic could.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It makes sense from a logical point, really. Ridley, always playing the antagonistic role, just fits best as an unlockable. Like Mewtwo or Ganondorf.
Mewtwo I can understand, but IIRC Ganondorf was a last-minute addition that Sakurai had said "was lucky to get in Melee".

I agree that if characters like Ridley or K. Rool aren't confirmed to be playable at E3, then that would make me really concerned about their chances. There are already other highly-anticipated characters that have a really good chance of appearing, like Pac-Man or Palutena.

Ridley (and K. Rool for that matter) could be an unlockable character, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I guess in my view he is either playable or he's not as these things were decided by the development team months ago. Whether revealed or unlockable it will be the same result in the end. Our 'support' isn't going to change that now.

Xhampi

Smash Lord

Doesn't make less sense to me than Sakurai trying to hype a stage boss when said boss is requested as a playable character and nothing else =/

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Doesn't make less sense to me than Sakurai trying to hype a stage boss when said boss is requested as a playable character and nothing else =/
That just depends how our view on Ridley differs from Sakurai and the development team. Maybe a boss or a stage hazard is all they see, I admit it's not a fun prospect but a possible one.

Morbi

Scavenger
Wait.......you always thought he would be playable though...you been saying?

or did you think Alfonzo Rids u mean?
No, I mean that his shadow is irrelevant to his chance as a playable character. I am an adamant Ridley supporter, I don't think we are going to get an Alfonzo moment, albeit it is entirely possible.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
It wouldn't be entirely logical, but sometimes game enjoyment should be prioritized over sales. I mean, everyone already knows that Smash is going to be the best selling Wii U title without bundles. I highly doubt Ridely, a character many already suspect to be de-confirmed (as they do not have a grasp on what de-confirmations are), would up the ante on sales; he is just one character. We will get our hype during E3, there is no single character that can sell the game in the same way that Snake or Sonic could.
Well i always expect one super awsome character thats last or 2nd last unlockable there tend to be bad guys?

Imo Ridley being kept secret is Scraping the bottom of the last barrel pretty much because of what Scoholis said but ofc its possible so whatever.

Wasent Wolf not revealed till after release of brawl?
Wolf suprised the hell out of me i was shocked to see him and im not even a starfox guy.

Plus were would that leave K.Rool if we say this is true? Not in? E3 Reveal?

Hes secret too?
And Pacman/Palutena are gonna push the game for E3?

Not even Shulk could do it.
Sure its gonna sell tones anyway but i dunno.....

And dont underestimate just one character.

20121221_234806.jpg

But.....yh.....Ridley is no Mewtwo.......
K.Rool could pull it of talking worldwide hype.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Eesh, you post one Gfycat and everyone goes mad.

Anyhow, what I took away from the scene is that in order to better set up Ridley as a boss, the normal, not FD, version of Pyrosphere was selected. Ridley landed on the platform offscreen, then jumped to give off the impression that he can float in the air for a ridiculous amount of time.

And according to my crack team of shadow analyzers, the shadows of the platforms would be JUST out of sight of the camera for that particular shot.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
That just depends how our view on Ridley differs from Sakurai and the development team. Maybe a boss or a stage hazard is all they see, I admit it's not a fun prospect but a possible one.
Even then he could have at least tried to go easy on his fans, like with every other character who get discomfirmed immediatly, by avoiding to leave Ridley's fate hidden for 7 months after the Pyrosphere reveal to finnaly giving us only a simple "other boss may appear on other stages" and a 10 second video of his shadow leaving his fate heavilly hinted but not confirmed yet.

He could just have said :
“Out of the blue, here’s a new stage–the Pyrosphere from Metroid: Other M! Ridley could appear as a boss at any second to wreak havoc…” back in August and it would been over there, plain and simple, no false hope, no doubt and a full year to get over it, instead we will have to wait for E3 of all places to see Ridley discomfirmed as a boss, disappointing Ridley's fans, one of the biggest fanbase in the west after 10 months of dancing around the subject and only a few months before the game's release, yaaay ?

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Even then he could have at least tried to go easy on his fans, like with every other character who get discomfirmed immediatly, by avoiding to leave Ridley's fate hidden for 7 months after the Pyrosphere reveal to finnaly giving us only a simple "other boss may appear on other stages" and a 10 second video of his shadow leaving his fate heavilly hinted but not confirmed yet.

He could just have said :
“Out of the blue, here’s a new stage–the Pyrosphere from Metroid: Other M! Ridley could appear as a boss at any second to wreak havoc…” back in August and it would been over there, plain and simple, no false hope, no doubt and a full year to get over it, instead we will have to wait for E3 of all places to see Ridley discomfirmed as a boss, disappointing Ridley's fans, one of the biggest fanbase in the west after 10 months of dancing around the subject and only a few months before the game's release, yaaay ?
Sigh.........
(Speaking in General)
(Simple Mind)

1. Hes hyping a stage hazard boss / Stage hazard boss's has never been done before it would be pretty crap if all the bosses were not very iconic/popular i guess he would wanna push the motion by adding a popular well known boss.

They maybe a Pokemon boss and King Boo.

2. Wasent boss's one of the last things to be revealed during brawl development?

Would make sense why Ridley has been kept secret all along.

Seems like Characters/Stages/Items get revealed first.

Then later on Boss's/ new features/modes/ gameplay mechanics.

Not everything has to be super complex and needs hours of specualtion and analysis majority of the time what is at face value/what you assume/ your instincts are right most of the time.

If boss's are some of the last things revealed during Smash Development can you see why Ridley why has been held off?

But why he was teased......god knows...maybe #1.

Maybe he is just simply hyping a stage boss.

It could be seen in many ways look at it in a open mind and not a competetive one you can come up with various reasonable conclusions.

Could have been a cliffhanger as in ''stay tuned we will have more on this''

You know to let people know there still is secret stuff in this game we dont know.

Like someone said not everyone knows who Ridley is
the shadow clip breathes specualtion because its secret that = Intrest = Hype.

( now i need to stab myself for typing this)

Im just tryna give you a reason or tryna make you understand how we got the short end of the stick.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
That Ridley VS Samus only Species Swapped Picture is still on it's way but until then here is thing

LittleOnes.PNG

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

You mean like mewtwo in melee when he did not reveal mewtwo before the release of that.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
You mean like mewtwo in melee when he did not reveal mewtwo before the release of that
I see Mewtwo either at E3 or Secret again.

We live in a very different world now (gaming wise too) compared to melee times.

Secret juicy hype crisp chocolate ice cream fingers are stuff of the past unfortunatly.

Games spoil themselves and hardly keep anything secret anymore...hell! Look what they done with MK8 Praticly revealed the whole game before its even released...by idea imo now people know to buy it or no.

I know MK is a casual game but i was shocked still....(very bad roster)

Sm4sh is not really a competetive game not saying they will reveal everything at E3 but anythibg can happen i got a few reasons why they would and the wouldnt.

*Bottom Line*
i doubt we will ever get a wet pants super chocolate fingers moment like Melee Mewtwo reveal again......i sure hope we do!

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
If we didn't know anything whatsoever, no Pyrosphere stage, no shadow, nothing even remotely hinting towards him, then the situation wouldn't be nearly as unusual. But since all that is there, let's look at what we know about other bosses/hazards that we do know of.

Yellow Devil: We've seen this guy clear as day from the very beginning. His exact role wasn't fully known till a good while later, but it was pretty obvious to everyone he wouldn't be a playable character.

Dark Emperor (Find Mii II): While we can't say for sure if this acts as a stage hazard (though it wouldn't be a stretch to assume so), it was still shown fully since its first appearance. Granted Sakurai didn't mention it by name, but he did ask if everyone knew what it was.

Ridley?: So we know Ridley is in the game, and we know that he appeared during the stage boss section. But the difference between him and the other two is that Sakurai has been incredibly secretive with his reveal. Months have gone by with us aware of his presence yet all we've gotten is a silent, nameless shadow. Many say that he's being hyped as a stage hazard, but one must ask, why? Sure if this was Ridley's first appearance in Smash then it'd make perfect sense to drum up the fact, but we've already seen him throughout the series, plus he's already acted as a boss in the last game twice. So why spend such a long time hyping up what is basically a reprising role?

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I see Mewtwo either at E3 or Secret again.

We live in a very different world now (gaming wise too) compared to melee times.

Secret juicy hype crisp chocolate ice cream fingers are stuff of the past unfortunatly.

Games spoil themselves and hardly keep anything secret anymore...hell! Look what they done with MK8 Praticly revealed the whole game before its even released...by idea imo now people know to buy it or no.

I know MK is a casual game but i was shocked still....(very bad roster)

Sm4sh is not really a competetive game not saying they will reveal everything at E3 but anythibg can happen i got a few reasons why they would and the wouldnt.

*Bottom Line*
i doubt we will ever get a wet pants super chocolate fingers moment like Melee Mewtwo reveal again......i sure hope we do!
Pretty much this.

This isn't 2002 its 2014 times have changed. People don't like being in the dark anymore. We wanna know if our favorites are in the game. A character on Ridley's level will be shown at E3 I'm sure of it.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
If we didn't know anything whatsoever, no Pyrosphere stage, no shadow, nothing even remotely hinting towards him, then the situation wouldn't be nearly as unusual. But since all that is there, let's look at what we know about other bosses/hazards that we do know of.

Yellow Devil: We've seen this guy clear as day from the very beginning. His exact role wasn't fully known till a good while later, but it was pretty obvious to everyone he wouldn't be a playable character.

Dark Emperor (Find Mii II): While we can't say for sure if this acts as a stage hazard (though it wouldn't be a stretch to assume so), it was still shown fully since its first appearance. Granted Sakurai didn't mention it by name, but he did ask if everyone knew what it was.

Ridley?: So we know Ridley is in the game, and we know that he appeared during the stage boss section. But the difference between him and the other two is that Sakurai has been incredibly secretive with his reveal. Months have gone by with us aware of his presence yet all we've gotten is a silent, nameless shadow. Many say that he's being hyped as a stage hazard, but one must ask, why? Sure if this was Ridley's first appearance in Smash then it'd make perfect sense to drum up the fact, but we've already seen him throughout the series, plus he's already acted as a boss in the last game twice. So why spend such a long time hyping up what is basically a reprising role?
My theory is because even boss Ridley is still Ridley. He's a very popular and prolific character. Unlike the Yellow Devil and Dark Emperor who are mere obstacles, Ridley is Samus' arch-enemy, and the most famous character in the Metroid series besides Samus herself. I think his overall popularity is what's kept him hidden for so long.

As for the idea that Other M Ridley is the boss and the original Ridley is playable, I'm sorry, but I just can't see it. If I remember correctly, the original Ridley never appeared in Other M. It's very possible that OM Ridley is just how he has always looked in that particular artstyle. He's had minor changes in appearance in just about every Metroid game, and they'll most likely just go with how he looked in Other M since most of Smash Bros 4's Metroid influence comes from it.

I agree that he should be playable, and I would love him to be. But I'm just trying to be realistic here. He was heavily implied to be a boss. While it's not a 100% deconfirmation, the odds are not in his favor.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Pretty much this.

This isn't 2002 its 2014 times have changed. People don't like being in the dark anymore. We wanna know if our favorites are in the game. A character on Ridley's level will be shown at E3 I'm sure of it.
I honestly don't care, I will find out soon enough. I prefer to be left in the dark to experience the enjoyment of discovery on my own. The most notable Smash Brothers memory for me would have to be my confusion and disdain at Ganondorf's silhouette. I thought it was ANOTHER anime swordsmen (after just unlocking Marth and Roy). However, I was beyond pleasantly surprised to find my favorite Nintendo character of all time staring back at me. So excited that I was jittery and lost, so I didn't even unlock him on my first try. Haha.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
My theory is because even boss Ridley is still Ridley. He's a very popular and prolific character. Unlike the Yellow Devil and Dark Emperor who are mere obstacles, Ridley is Samus' arch-enemy, and the most famous character in the Metroid series besides Samus herself. I think his overall popularity is what's kept him hidden for so long.
Those are qualities of something greater then a simple hazard, which as you've just pointed out Ridley clearly possesses. Things were different in the eras of the last three games as Ridley was still kinda "that recurring Metroid dragon thing" but it's undeniably evident that his role and popularity have risen to great degrees since then.

So if Sakurai thinks putting such a character in the same position as before in the face of changed status quo is sufficient and pleasing to his devoted fans, then obviously the man wasn't paying as much attention to fan requests as we were led to believe.

Top Bottom