• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Those are qualities of something greater then a simple hazard, which as you've just pointed out Ridley clearly possesses. Things were different in the eras of the last three games as Ridley was still kinda "that recurring Metroid dragon thing" but it's undeniably evident that his role and popularity have risen to great degrees since then.

So if Sakurai thinks putting such a character in the same position as before in the face of changed status quo is sufficient and pleasing to his devoted fans, then obviously the man wasn't paying as much attention to fan requests as we were led to believe.
I agree wholeheartedly that Ridley's ridiculous popularity should earn him a playable spot. But you never know how Sakurai's mind works.

Relating to that, I have a sneaking suspicion that we're not going to get a lot of fan favorites beyond Mega Man and Little Mac. Call it paranoia, but that's what my gut is telling me.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I honestly don't care, I will find out soon enough. I prefer to be left in the dark to experience the enjoyment of discovery on my own. The most notable Smash Brothers memory for me would have to be my confusion and disdain at Ganondorf's silhouette. I thought it was ANOTHER anime swordsmen (after just unlocking Marth and Roy). However, I was beyond pleasantly surprised to find my favorite Nintendo character of all time staring back at me. So excited that I was jittery and lost, so I didn't even unlock him on my first try. Haha.
I can understand that.....I just wan't this whole Ridley thing off my chest. I'm very confident he will be playable but that small chance that he isn't will be in the back of my head torturing me until I know for sure. This for me is the only character I want on an insane level and Sakurai is playing with our emotions and...i.dont.like.it lol.

Morbi

Scavenger
I can understand that.....I just wan't this whole Ridley thing off my chest. I'm very confident he will be playable but that small chance that he isn't will be in the back of my head torturing me until I know for sure. This for me is the only character I want on an insane level and Sakurai is playing with our emotions and...i.dont.like.it lol.
I agree, I mean, a confirmation is obviously ideal. It actualizes the notion, makes it objective, shuts the detractors up. But as far as I am concerned, he is already playable. It is so utterly obvious that I am not even going to be excited when he is revealed. I mean, the only thing that would hype me up would be his game-play. His actually inclusion wouldn't do anything for me.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
To shut the Ridley detractors up would be really freaking sweet.

I used to not be bothered by them, but damn I can't believe someone could be so pretentiously mean about something like that.

When the Direct came around and Ridley was boasted by them as being disconfimed, the voice in the back of my head said:

"Oh, IT. IS. ON."

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I agree wholeheartedly that Ridley's ridiculous popularity should earn him a playable spot. But you never know how Sakurai's mind works.

Relating to that, I have a sneaking suspicion that we're not going to get a lot of fan favorites beyond Mega Man and Little Mac. Call it paranoia, but that's what my gut is telling me.
I can certainly understand such worries. I have two separate thoughts about what will happen. Either Sakurai has been storing up all the heavy hitters for E3, or he legitimately thinks two highly requested characters is enough and fills the rest of the roster with "unique and unexpected" newcomers.

I'm really hoping it's the former.

majora_787

Smash Hero
E3 is going to basically necessitate that everything ends. The demo will let people play on the Pyrosphere, and he will either be a boss or not. And if he's not a boss, then he's confirmed playable whether Sakurai announces him or not. Which I would imagine would force him to make the announcement. And then there's the slim chance that Pyrosphere is unavailable in the demo for some reason. I'd call that ridiculously incriminating in Ridley's favor.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Lol, there's another alternative to his confirmation you know.

What, you don't know?

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/titles/14866558073037299863/14866558073037300685

Edit: The truth could be posted, any day now. It would come as a surprise, you won't even see it.

But than again, the content shown isn't very "highlighting" at times.
I don't see it. Sakurai went outta his way to only show a shadow. Put Ridley's shadow in an angle we would never see in game. (SUPER zoomed in from an above angle and tilted to the left)

He wouldn't go through all that to just show him in a pic of the day. Sakurai clearly wanted to hide something about Ridley.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
To shut the Ridley detractors up would be really freaking sweet.

I used to not be bothered by them, but damn I can't believe someone could be so pretentiously mean about something like that.

When the Direct came around and Ridley was boasted by them as being disconfimed, the voice in the back of my head said:

"Oh, IT. IS. ON."
Exactly! I mean, I'd be fine if Ridley was deconfirmed(it'd suck, but eh) but then we'd never hear the end of it from them.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Exactly! I mean, I'd be fine if Ridley was deconfirmed(it'd suck, but eh) but then we'd never hear the end of it from them.
"Fool! Your hatred only makes us grow stronger!"

I'm pretty sure I used to be a neutral, leaning on negative supporter, but tons of arguments from both sides finally solidified my place here.

majora_787

Smash Hero
There aren't really even tons of arguments AGAINST Ridley. I mean what do we have?

1) While they showed Ridley, they mentioned other boss appearances.
2) All of the evidence in favor of Ridley is dumb / conveniently 100% irrelevant for no real reason.

That's not exactly compelling. I mean people can be pessimistic all they want, but there isn't actually that much. Beyond that, it's all what-ifs that hinge on incompetence and Ridley being the sole exception compared to every other character.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
At least we don't have too much longer to wait now, unless Sakurai keeps Ridley's fate unknown until release day. Man that would be aggravating.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
There aren't really even tons of arguments AGAINST Ridley. I mean what do we have?

1) While they showed Ridley, they mentioned other boss appearances.
2) All of the evidence in favor of Ridley is dumb / conveniently 100% irrelevant for no real reason.

That's not exactly compelling. I mean people can be pessimistic all they want, but there isn't actually that much. Beyond that, it's all what-ifs that hinge on incompetence and Ridley being the sole exception compared to every other character.
Everytime someone comes in here and says "Stage bosses are a completely new concept and Sakurai wants us to be excited about boss Ridley!"

I seriously wanna punch these people in the face.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
At least we don't have too much longer to wait now, unless Sakurai keeps Ridley's fate unknown until release day. Man that would be aggravating.
That seems unlikely, for many of the reasons @ majora_787 majora_787 pointed out. It would be very difficult for Sakurai to keep Ridley's role in the game secret at E3, especially with people actually playing the game itself. In some way or another, we're probably going to see the entirety of the Pyrosphere during E3. And if, for whatever reason, we see nothing of it, then it would seem very likely that something (or a lack of something) is being intentionally hidden.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
That seems unlikely, for many of the reasons @ majora_787 majora_787 pointed out. It would be very difficult for Sakurai to keep Ridley's role in the game secret at E3, especially with people actually playing the game itself. In some way or another, we're probably going to see the entirety of the Pyrosphere during E3. And if, for whatever reason, we see nothing of it, then it would seem very likely that something (or a lack of something) is being intentionally hidden.
You can never tell with crafty Sakurai. But in all likelihood we will see Ridley, and more then just his shadow.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Like I said, people seem to assume a massive level of incompetence. Not just in assuming it takes Sakurai, his team, and Namco SIX MONTHS or more to make a stage hazard that is so unfinished that they can't show it to the public, but also that they assume Sakurai goes and looks at one of the most requested nintendo characters who he has acknowledged in the past, and then goes "I bet in a game where people get to play as characters they don't normally get to play as, they would love to continue to not play as them. They'll be SO EXCITED."

That would be like if Capcom made a new MvC game, hyped Mega Man up by putting him in the background, and then went "HEY! You guys got MEGA MAN! Sure you wanted to play as him, but you're just excited to have him in the GAME! Right? RIGHT? :D"

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Like I said, people seem to assume a massive level of incompetence. Not just in assuming it takes Sakurai, his team, and Namco SIX MONTHS or more to make a stage hazard that is so unfinished that they can't show it to the public, but also that they assume Sakurai goes and looks at one of the most requested nintendo characters who he has acknowledged in the past, and then goes "I bet in a game where people get to play as characters they don't normally get to play as, they would love to continue to not play as them. They'll be SO EXCITED."

That would be like if Capcom made a new MvC game, hyped Mega Man up by putting him in the background, and then went "HEY! You guys got MEGA MAN! Sure you wanted to play as him, but you're just excited to have him in the GAME! Right? RIGHT? :D"
I believe at this point it was almost 9 months ago that we got the pic of the day of Pyrosphere.

EDIT: August 20th 2013 lol.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
9 months since we were told someone who was probably Ridley might appear on the Pyrosphere stage in any context whatsoever, and 9 months since people took that statement to actually mean anything in particular.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Capcom doesn't have "hardworking genius Sakurai" at the helm, although they, too, "add the characters you don't know you want." Bwa ha ha. . .

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
"Mega Man? Eh, screw that guy, we've got to have ROCKET RACCOON and HAWKEYE!"
Wish I could find that picture of Mega Man on the phone saying "Send Zero. I've got something bigger ahead of me." while holding his Smash Bros. invitation. That mitigates the frustration somewhat.

Assuming Ridley gets shafted again, it'll certainly be reminiscent of that whole debacle.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well its really strong that E3 is the momment of truth.

For me just like @LackadaisyAlax said, I will probably be the yellow ball either way.

And as for me if hes shown as a boss and he does not say hes not playable, its not over.

But i am confident from my research that Ridley will be playable at this point, and also reminding my self it does not proove he is playable.

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
You know, all my life when asked what super power I wanted, I would always answer shape shifting, because the ability to turn into anything was awesome.

Now, I'd wish to see the future so I could know if Ridley's playable or not. Strange how a series of events can alter your opinion so easily.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
You know, all my life when asked what super power I wanted, I would always answer shape shifting, because the ability to turn into anything was awesome.

Now, I'd wish to see the future so I could know if Ridley's playable or not. Strange how a series of events can alter your opinion so easily.
xD I also wanted the shapeshifting powers...

P2A571_0D469736E2A2A_002.gif

'....yay..."

xD sorry, I was bored....

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Everytime someone comes in here and says "Stage bosses are a completely new concept and Sakurai wants us to be excited about boss Ridley!"

I seriously wanna punch these people in the face.
If it ends out being true, you oughta punch Sakurai in the face instead.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Has anyone considered Ridley being a permanently airborne character?
And other places like 4chan refers to Ridley fans as Ridtards IIRC, so TooBigot is rather benign in comparison.
I hate how on 4chan and YouTube autism is a punchline.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

I entertained the thought. He would move like Mewtwo on the ground, only touching down when landing or crouching.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
I entertained the thought. He would move like Mewtwo on the ground, only touching down when landing or crouching.
The wingspan would be a little tricky to deal with. Ever since Prime, his massive wings have been a defining trait. Even Other M Ridley had a much wider wingspan than his Super Metroid incarnation.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
The wingspan would be a little tricky to deal with. Ever since Prime, his massive wings have been a defining trait. Even Other M Ridley had a much wider wingspan than his Super Metroid incarnation.
You probably heard me say this before, but unless he's facing the camera or turning, huge wings shouldn't affect his hitbox on a 2D battleground.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Okay let's see if we can get a gif of Charizard x flapping his wings, and compare it to brawl Ridley's wings flapping, to the shadow footage.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
SCAN0192.JPG

Based from @Dalek_Kolt's Hybridley design..... :3 I wanted to give it a shot, since I did not have anything to do....And maybe some details are missing because I forgot to see the first sketches of his design...

Sketchy as always...

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

I honestly feel as though that would actually be something unique to his character. I think it would be a pretty cool design choice, I saw a mod that did that, it looked decent enough.

Xigger

Smash Lord
If Little Mac can be a ground fighter weak in the air, Ridley can be an air fighter weak on the ground. I'd take it over a watered-down Ridley to match other characters any day.

On the flipside, obnoxiously tunnel-visioned Ridley fans/anti-fans are very annoying: if I were Sakurai I would tease Ridley's playable status to rile you up too. C'mon.

On another flipside, I would also like to see a flight comparison. Might as well make something new instead of waiting for daily pictures.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well, the long awaited "trauma" has arrived, everyone. Today's pic shows all!
Samus and Zero-Suit Samus facing off against and old enemy on Pyrosphere:

PONG!

Last edited:

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Well Sakurai did say he felt the series could use a shift in focus, so to speak. Seeing as how every other Smash Bros has had people be disappointed that highly-requested fan favorites are ignored in favor of weird or
Well, the long awaited "trauma" has arrived, everyone. Today's pic shows all!
Samus and Zero-Suit Samus facing off against and old enemy on Pyrosphere:

PONG!

Top Bottom