• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

So many assumptions of Ridley's size based on nothing but a ****ing shadow....

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
He's much smaller than Giga Bowser. He would work.
Okay, here's the difference: Giga Bowser was MEANT to be overpowered and stupidly big. Choosing a Giga Bowser-sized fighter in a balanced game of Smash? Not gonna happen.

I see no choppiness in the transition from one attack to another in Brawl Ridley. Every attack is well-choreographed, has a startup time, and a cooldown time. In all my time playing Brawl and watching Brawl bosses, the ONLY time I have seen them jump from one position to another in less than a frame is when they transition from normal to death animation.

Whereas with the supposed boss Ridley, he takes whatever pose he pleases without that pesky need to "telegraph attacks or movement ."

Frame.png

Note that these poses transition in ONE FRAME. Look how his tail teleports from hanging down to gliding behind him.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
The shadow is pretty indicative of a general size considering we can see where the shadow reaches on particular areas of the platform. I drew a direct comparison between Ridley's shadow and Bowser's shadow in the past, and they are VERY similar. Unless Ridley is like one of those comically tall tapdancers from Rhythm Heaven, he's not much bigger than Bowser because his shadow isn't much bigger than Bowser's unless you add on the full glory of his wingspan.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So many assumptions of Ridley's size based on nothing but a ****ing shadow....
Maybe the shadow was not Ridley's.
It was actually Kraid after going on WeightWatchers, painting himself purple, putting on cosplay wings, and strapping on a jetpack.

You never know with Sakurai.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Maybe the shadow was not Ridley's.
It was actually Kraid after going on WeightWatchers, painting himself purple, putting on cosplay wings, and strapping on a jetpack.

You never know with Sakurai.
But we only say a shadow; we don't know if the creature the shadow belonged to is purple.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
We saw the tail in a couple frames, which was purple.

Therefore Kraid cosplay.
Um... That tail tip was white. I think it had a little purple in it, but it was definitely white overall.

Therefore... Well, this isn't really going to go anywhere, is it?

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero

The thing with the shadow is, with Bowser's shadow outlined in green (I didn't bother trying to trace Ridley's shadow again)...

It is basically in the area of that orange triangle at its most spread out that we saw it, with the wings cropped off. So I mean Ridley is not some hulking massive thing. Roughly Bowser's size, definitely not Yellow Devil's size or anywhere near.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
But what about the people asserting that he COULD work as a character? Wouldn't they have the burden of proof?
----
Burden of proof depends who's making the bigger claim.
In most instances, the bigger claim is that something does exist/occur (for example, the teapot example I mentioned), but not necessarily. It depends on the context.
In Smash Bros-ian context, most characters could work as playable fighters in some way shape or form. (Sakurai could make a Bologna Sandwich a viable fighter!) In other words, it's accepted, unless otherwise proven, that the potentiality of a given character exists. So if you claim that there exists a character that does not follow in the same line, then you're making the bigger claim.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I see no choppiness in the transition from one attack to another in Brawl Ridley. Every attack is well-choreographed, has a startup time, and a cooldown time. In all my time playing Brawl and watching Brawl bosses, the ONLY time I have seen them jump from one position to another in less than a frame is when they transition from normal to death animation.

Whereas with the supposed boss Ridley, he takes whatever pose he pleases without that pesky need to "telegraph attacks or movement ."

View attachment 14051

Note that these poses transition in ONE FRAME. Look how his tail teleports from hanging down to gliding behind him.
Look at that.
Ridley being undeniably "choppy" as a boss. Most notably instances where he doesn't finish his roaring animation and goes straight into an attack.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
If there's any doubt that Sakurai isn't deliberately trolling about Ridley, he listens to this every morning. I know it's true because GameFAQs said so. :troll:

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Look at that.
Ridley being undeniably "choppy" as a boss. Most notably instances where he doesn't finish his roaring animation and goes straight into an attack.
Yeah, sorry, I don't see any split-frame shifts that inexplicably have Ridley in a completely different pose, save for the moment he dies.
Even so, the transition from normal to the start of his death animation is a lot more forgiveable than "tail hanging down instantaneously goes into a gliding motion" as we've seen so far.

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Look at that.
Your grasping at straws. There were moments were he sped up (Could be an intense mode thing) but nothing there looks choppy....

D

Deleted member

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Welcome to the world of Smash Bros fanbase speculation. May I take your order?
Do you happen to have Mewtwo available? If you don't, when can I expect one to be in stock?

Also, would you by any chance have Robin? That would be so nice.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
All I see is assumption and optimism.

Until we actually see the damn lizard, none of these "analyses" are going to sway me.
I can agree except for the shadow comparisons. Those are pretty accurate.

The wait isn't much longer till E3 so I'm sure we will see our lizard there.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
All I see is assumption and optimism.

Until we actually see the damn lizard, none of these "analyses" are going to sway me.
Alrighty then. In return, we won't allow the "Other boss character appearances" subtitle to sway us, as that has been the ONLY thing that keeps me from being a gibbering Ridley fanatic that cannot comprehend how anyone in their right mind could think he is a stage hazard.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I think Golden is just convinced that Pyrosphere changes sizes magically. Which is really the only way that shadow measurements would mean nothing at all. That awkward moment when a magically shrinking and expanding stage is more plausible than a fan favorite being playable.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, sorry, I don't see any split-frame shifts that inexplicably have Ridley in a completely different pose, save for the moment he dies.
Even so, the transition from normal to the start of his death animation is a lot more forgiveable than "tail hanging down instantaneously goes into a gliding motion" as we've seen so far.
Your grasping at straws. There were moments were he sped up (Could be an intense mode thing) but nothing there looks choppy....
.....and this is where I take my leave.
As idiotic as the Too Bigots' arguments were, they were right about certain aspects of supporters' level of denial.

All I can do at this point is wait until the inevitable crash of disappointment that has been set up and be pleasantly surprised if Ridley does end up being playable.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

The thing with the shadow is, with Bowser's shadow outlined in green (I didn't bother trying to trace Ridley's shadow again)...

It is basically in the area of that orange triangle at its most spread out that we saw it, with the wings cropped off. So I mean Ridley is not some hulking massive thing. Roughly Bowser's size, definitely not Yellow Devil's size or anywhere near.
Congratulations now I got a Bowser shadow.

So, I will get a dot version of that if accurate enough.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
As idiotic as the Too Bigots' arguments were, they were right about certain aspects of supporters' level of denial.

All I can do at this point is wait until the inevitable crash of disappointment that has been set up and be pleasantly surprised if Ridley does end up being playable.
You will be missed.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

I don't know, I think you're being a little too harsh. Even though I personally find Ridley less than likely at this point, I have to admit that the research done on the shadows is rather interesting. Unless you have a reason to believe that the analysis these Ridley supporters have been working on is illegitimate evidence, I don't see how you can justifiably brush it off as denial.

Also, you claim that Miis being a background detail has no effect on their chances, but Ridley maybe being a stage hazard is absolute doom?

D

Deleted member

I think Golden is just convinced that Pyrosphere changes sizes magically. Which is really the only way that shadow measurements would mean nothing at all.
No, genius. What I'm convinced of is that it's pointless to make an analysis using little consistent data.

But whatever. I'm just some ****** that thinks a wizard is casting a spell on the stage to change it's size to you, so there's no point in me saying anything.

EDIT: @ False Sense False Sense
Stage Boss (new hyped feature by Sakurai) =/= minor cameo of an established character.
Don't start that bile here.

Last edited by a moderator:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I think Golden is just convinced that Pyrosphere changes sizes magically. Which is really the only way that shadow measurements would mean nothing at all. That awkward moment when a magically shrinking and expanding stage is more plausible than a fan favorite being playable.
Speaking of magically changing sizes I wonder why Sakurai didn't give (What I believe to be) the playable Ridley in the direct a Super Mushroom. That would have really thrown us off his trail better instead of using purely odd camera angle trickery. :dizzy:

Its like he wanted to give us a fair chance to figure it out....

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I would like a Porky, a K. Rool, and a new Ganondorf, he's too similar to the Captain Falcon I preordered.

Also, is Snake and Mewtwo in stock?
Got it! Though, our Snake supply is running rather low. Would you rather have a Simon Belmont instead?

Do you happen to have Mewtwo available? If you don't, when can I expect one to be in stock?

Also, would you by any chance have Robin? That would be so nice.
Got it! Would you like a Roy with those?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Got it! Though, our Snake supply is running rather low. Would you rather have a Simon Belmont instead?

Got it! Would you like a Roy with those?
...I do like whips and monsters.

If Snake is out, I'll take the Assist Trophy Jeff instead, and Simon in order to fill out my Konami quota.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I seriously don't think a super mushroom is even involved. A Ridley half the size of that shadow I think would be too small.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
EDIT: @ False Sense False Sense
Stage Boss (new hyped feature by Sakurai) =/= minor cameo of an established character.
Don't start that bile here.
Well, I don't intend to dwell on the matter, but I do believe the transitive property is applicable here.

Stage Boss = Character in a non-playable role
Minor Cameo = Character in a non-playable role
Therefore, Stage Boss = Minor Cameo

It is also worth mentioning that Ridley's role as a stage boss (although heavily implied) is not definite yet. At the same time, the Miis do definitely appear as a background detail in their stage.

Again, I don't intend to dwell on this, but some of your previous statements and logic seem to be contradictory.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Stage Boss = Character in a non-playable role
Minor Cameo = Character in a non-playable role
Therefore, Stage Boss = Minor Cameo
Wat?

I guess Master Hand is a minor cameo then.

....and Bowser is a minor cameo in many Mario games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom