• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I tried drawing a Ridley once. It was so bad that millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. So I stopped.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Though seriously. Does anyone have the design for Dark Meta Ridley on hand or anything? I can look it up here real quick if not.

EDIT: This. This too.

I wish they used these more than I wish they used Meta Kraid.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Obviously this thread needs to start giving some artistic love to scrapped Ridley versions. ... Which is what. Dark Meta Ridley and Ridley-2? Maybe Mecha RIdley if we want to go down that road.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Obviously this thread needs to start giving some artistic love to scrapped Ridley versions. ... Which is what. Dark Meta Ridley and Ridley-2? Maybe Mecha RIdley if we want to go down that road.
Mecha-Ridley probably should count as an in-universe scrapped Ridley. Looks like Ridley hadn't installed flight. Or the ability to walk.

But hey, weapons of mass destruction take precedence over motor functions.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
I can see where you draw superficial similarities between the two cases, but I still have to disagree. With Retro, it seems to me as though a small, vocal minority of "True Retro Fans" have horribly unrealistic expectations for the studio. They believe Retro to be the second coming of Christ, and thus, the studio who will take on the glorious burden of resurrecting every Nintendo franchise outside of the Big Three, and even some within said three (a new Metroid, a new Star Fox, a new Startropics, a new Murasame Castle, a new Zelda, a new Mario Kart...). When it's Donkey Kong? "Oh, that's obviously just a joke of a side product, they're really working on resurrecting all of these other franchises instead as their main project." And outside of DKVine, there aren't many series supporters online to defend against such crap or to say they would like a sequel, even though its actual sales speak to the existence of quite a large mass of supporters who would like such a game.

Contrast Retro choosing DKC when presented with the choice between making DKC or Metroid with Sakurai choosing against Ridley in a franchise driven by fanservice, where he alone boasts about calling all of the shots ("I decide what goes into the game, no one else," says Sakurai), and the comparison is shallow at best IMO.
I agree it's a superficial comparison that largely depends on whether or not you believe that a substantially greater number of Nintendo fans wanted Retro to do something other than a DKCR sequel.

As far as obliviousness goes, Retro's refusal to use the Kremlings in two games in a row despite the poor response to the Tikis and, from what I've gathered, the seeming vast majority of DK fans wanting the Kremling crew back (and Retro knows this, too, since they've been asked about Kremlings in interviews, i.e. the "there won't be any crocodiles in this game" quote) would be more accurately comparable to the Ridley situation.

In both cases the game developer is not only willfully choosing to ignore the desires of the majority of fans, but (especially in the case of Sakurai and Ridley) actively taunting and tormenting them with how long they've dragged this out by throwing fans scraps of (false) hope for almost a year and refusing to outright disconfirm.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I agree it's a superficial comparison that largely depends on whether or not you believe that a substantially greater number of Nintendo fans wanted Retro to do something other than a DKCR sequel.

As far as obliviousness goes, pointing towards Retro's refusal to use the Kremlings in two games in a row despite the seeming vast majority of DK fans wanting them back (and Retro know this, too, since they've been asked about Kremlings in interviews, i.e. the "there won't be any crocodiles in this game" quote) would be more accurately comparable to the Ridley situation.

In both cases the game developer is not only willfully choosing to ignore the desires of the majority of fans, but (especially in the case of Sakurai and Ridley) actively taunting and tormenting them with how long they've dragged this out by throwing fans scraps of (false) hope for almost a year and refusing to outright disconfirm.
I actually kinda liked the lack of Kremlings in the recent DKC titles.

Up until the end of Returns, I expected the villains of the game to be hijacked Dr. Wily/Ganondorf-style by King K. Rool, and while Tiki Tong turned out to be a wooden Andross, I liked the creation of new villains rather than recycling the old.

And Tropical Freeze improved it further by replacing the planks of wood with goddamn metal ice vikings. I really want to see those ice vikings again, maybe fighting with or against the Kremling Krew.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
SCAN0171.JPG

Well, it did not came out exactly like the ballroom scene form the Beauty and the Beast.....and I used Fire Rosalina....Sketchy....

:3 It felt good being able to draw those two together again.....Rids and Rosie is best ship.....oh yeah...

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
View attachment 13191

Well, it did not came out exactly like the ballroom scene form the Beauty and the Beast.....and I used Fire Rosalina....Sketchy....

:3 It felt good being able to draw those two together again.....Rids and Rosie is best ship.....oh yeah...
...i saw it going differently...in my mind...Fortunately, not Ridley X Samus - thats the worst idea for crack pairing i ever heard of other than Jesus X...you know. Looks kinda cute and weird...and weird...
Mecha-Ridley probably should count as an in-universe scrapped Ridley. Looks like Ridley hadn't installed flight. Or the ability to walk.

But hey, weapons of mass destruction take precedence over motor functions.
Its was UNFINISHED machine that was built by Ridley himself or at least with his assistance...but still in his image and everything. It just wasn`t finished in-time before Samus arrived and destroyed him. Otherwise, he would be a lot faster, deadlier and invincible (i think his core was protected by glass because they were replacing it and didn`t wanted him to have incomplete parts or those that may become his weakness). Thats what i think at least. But about him being unfinished im sure.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I don't see why it was okay for Retro to make 3 Metroid games but they can't do that for Donkey Kong. Is DK somehow less of a series than Metroid?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I don't see why it was okay for Retro to make 3 Metroid games but they can't do that for Donkey Kong. Is DK somehow less of a series than Metroid?
Yep, totally. DK is total, complete garbage and must be shamed for being produced over Metroid.

Nah, only joking, the new Country series is awesome.

...i saw it going differently...in my mind...Fortunately, not Ridley X Samus - thats the worst idea for crack pairing i ever heard of other than Jesus X...you know. Looks kinda cute and weird...and weird...

Its was UNFINISHED machine that was built by Ridley himself or at least with his assistance...but still in his image and everything. It just wasn`t finished in-time before Samus arrived and destroyed him. Otherwise, he would be a lot faster, deadlier and invincible (i think his core was protected by glass because they were replacing it and didn`t wanted him to have incomplete parts or those that may become his weakness). Thats what i think at least. But about him being unfinished im sure.
Still, it says something about Ridley that his unfinished project had fully operational weapons systems but only rudimentary motor systems.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Technically, yes - its less popular and not "one of de mainh 3/4" and maybe sold less. But its not that much of a problem to me. Still, i want to shoot diddy kong in his face for some reasons.

AndreaAC

Oh, you mean going...far than being cute? if it is that, I would never do that with Ridley and Rosalina...and thanks :)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Technically, yes - its less popular and not "one of de mainh 3/4" and maybe sold less..
DK has sold almost as much as Zelda.

If there is a big four, it's Mario, Pokemon, Mii and Zelda.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Mii? Whats about Metroid? And Mii isn`t a franchise or something like that as far as i know.
Mii/Wii/DS games.

Stuff like Wii sports, Wii Play, etc.

Metroid, while successful, isn't a titan many people make it out to be. Kirby sells more than it IIRC.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Mii/Wii/DS games.

Stuff like Wii sports, Wii Play, etc.

Metroid, while successful, isn't a titan many people make it out to be. Kirby sells more than it IIRC.
...really?..my entire life is a lie?..then...does this means that mii may get more priority in SSB?..Well, i hope no. At least Metroid is more classic, right?

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

I did this a few days after Valentine

Ridley X Samus......Ridley X Rosalina
The Space Dragon can get lucky with the ladies.;)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Mii? Whats about Metroid? And Mii isn`t a franchise or something like that as far as i know.
Metroid is actually pretty damn niche, especially in Japan. It was never a big seller beyond the first game.

The Wii/Mii series is huge.

AndreaAC

I found that:

Maybe it already was posted, i don`t remember.
THIS IS SO AWESOME!

I wish I could eat this cereal every morning....a billion times better than Phazon Phlakes....

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ridley X Samus......Ridley X Rosalina
The Space Dragon can get lucky with the ladies.;)
To be honest, first one is absolute ice bull in my opinion. Who created it?!
Metroid is actually pretty damn niche, especially in Japan. It was never a big seller beyond the first game.

The Wii/Mii series is huge.
Oh well, at least we like it and its not something like Halo or Doom.
THIS IS SO AWESOME!

I wish I could eat this cereal every morning....a billion times better than Phazon Phlakes....
I would too. And its not as addicting and radioactive as Phazon Phlakes. I can even imagine commercial for them...can you imagine it too?

Last edited:

AndreaAC

To be honest, first one is absolute ice bull in my opinion. Who created it?!

Oh well, at least we like it and its not something like Halo or Doom.

I would too. And its not as addicting and radioactive as Phazon Phlakes. I can even imagine commercial for them...can you imagine it too?
I would love to see the commercial had "Eat it, or you will get promptly shot"

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I would love to see the commercial had "Eat it, or you will get promptly shot"
"Buy it and you will get 100% shots and stabs less. Or we will promptly shoot you"...yeah...sounds kinda lame in my version. And would Samus be in same commercial? And how does she plays SSBB with Ridley and other Nintendo characters?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
It's a huge shame Metroid doesn't sell as much it should. Honestly, Other M aside, it's a flawless series. F-Zero is another one as well.

I'm of the opinion that Super Metroid is actually the best game of all time and it's still unbeaten even with games like Resident Evil 4, Mario Galaxy and Metal Gear Solid 3 around.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Metroid Prime actually outsold the first game.
3 million vs 2 million.

Though yeah, actually, Metroid Prime did pretty damn well considering the install base of the Gamecube that time. (And with competition in Metroid Fusion, as well) Whereas Metroid was during an era where everything solid over a million lol.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

"Buy it and you will get 100% shots and stabs less. Or we will promptly shoot you"...yeah...sounds kinda lame in my version. And would Samus be in same commercial? And how does she plays SSBB with Ridley and other Nintendo characters?
Now that I think about it....how would Samus be on that cereal's commercial....."A cereal a day, keeps the hunter away"? I have no idea what I'm saying....xD

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

AndreaAC

...this will haunt me for a while.
And here is more images with Ridley in them:
[spoiler
[/spoiler]
I love these...i wish the artist that drew Omega had finished the sculpture she was making of him....and I'm in love with that SM Ridley sculpt....

Top Bottom