• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
This is still Ridley related, but I have a somewhat off-topic question.

This is my bird (er, one of them). His name is Brazil, it's a name he's had since birth (younger me thought naming him after his country of origin was a good idea for some reason). But I've since grown to really hate that name as I never call him by it and he doesn't know it himself either, yet for the life of me I haven't really put much thought into giving him a new one.

So then, over the last several months I've grown quite attached to Ridley despite barely playing any Metroid, but the question is, should it be Brazil's new name? His attitude is rather aggressive like that of the space dragon, and Ridley just sounds like a cool name in general. Idk, what do you guys think?
Call him Jacques.

Nah, but seriously, Ridley's a pretty cool name. Or Falco, either/or.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

This is my bird (er, one of them). His name is Brazil, it's a name he's had since birth (younger me thought naming him after his country of origin was a good idea for some reason). But I've since grown to really hate that name as I never call him by it and he doesn't know it himself either, yet for the life of me I haven't really put much thought into giving him a new one.

So then, over the last several months I've grown quite attached to Ridley despite barely playing any Metroid, but the question is, should it be Brazil's new name? His attitude is rather aggressive like that of the space dragon, and Ridley just sounds like a cool name in general. Idk, what do you guys think?
If it tries to bite you every time you get near....maybe xD I would call it Altair or Falco....

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

If you want too name him ridley go ahead and just to point out falco is a aggressive bird

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

If you do call him Ridley, I'd give him the nickname "Rids".

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon

DOO EEET

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
If you do call him Ridley, I'd give him the nickname "Rids".
That's actually what I was thinking. :bluejump: And @ AndreaAC AndreaAC he actually does bite if I do/hold/wear something he doesn't like (which is a lot) and just refuses to get along with anyone besides me. Heck, he even challenges the dog (a German Shepard). Though he's a total sweetheart towards my female cockatiel (Leah) and is buds with the male budgie (Popsicle) that live together with him. Kinda reminds me of when we shipped Ridley with Rosalina...

I'm still thinking though. Falco feels too obvious, and I barely know anything about AC... But thanks for the input at any rate guys. :)

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
That's actually what I was thinking. :bluejump: And @ AndreaAC AndreaAC he actually does bite if I do/hold/wear something he doesn't like (which is a lot).

I'm still thinking though. Falco feels too obvious, and I barely know anything about AC... But thanks for the input at any rate guys. :)
EDIT: Nvm, Assassin's Creed. Not Animal Crossing.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well one things for sure my reaction might like this at 0:34

If ridley is confirmed playable (but again i think its a 55/45 chance for ridley to be playable)

(Im posting this again if ridley is confirmed plus a few more gifs and videos)

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
That's actually what I was thinking. :bluejump: And @ AndreaAC AndreaAC he actually does bite if I do/hold/wear something he doesn't like (which is a lot) and just refuses to get along with anyone besides me. Heck, he even challenges the dog (a German Shepard). Though he's a total sweetheart towards my female cockatiel (Leah) and is buds with the male budgie (Popsicle) that live together with him. Kinda reminds me of when we shipped Ridley with Rosalina...

Ridley is the only acceptable name for a flying animal. I think it'd be a good name, at least.

AndreaAC

Aww...how cute! Then the name is perfect! xD It has a lot of common with Ridley...

92A571_0D5A44F5C158A_001.gif

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Dare I ask, what could be worse than Jesus X Hitler?

As to not stray off topic, I think the Ridley X Rosalina ship has some charm as to not be overly creepy. Helps that AndreaAC posted a "cute" picture.
Oh, you know...

Harry X Voldemort, Claus X Lucas, pretty much any Tingle ship...

Hell, I run a Dalek X Pony crack ship on the side just for kicks.

You know what, I've made up my mind. His name is now Ridley. Maybe he'll become the mascot of the thread even. Birdly...
You totally cribbed that name off my Griffin version of Ridley.

Ah well, Birdley's still a cute pet name/mascot.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Damn you, assaulting my mind to such possibilities! Then again, I did ask for it.
Years from now, when I reminiscence about my internet days, there will always be that constant reminder that my very first ship was of a Space Nazi and a pink horse.

Shipping: Not even once.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
Remind me which series has consistently brought in glacial Japanese sales on consoles that weren't on death's doorstop?

Sakurai seemingly being oblivious about Ridley and Nintendo advertising the sequel to a game that had just finished selling more than the combined Metroid Prime trilogy are two completely different things.
They are both symptoms of Nintendo being out of touch with what fans currently want.

Nintendo should know that Ridley was and is the most wanted and talked about potential Newcomer for Smash 4 by a good margin. Nintendo should also have known that just about 0% of the people who avidly follow video games were expecting or hoping for Retro's heavily secret game to be a DKCR sequel.

In the couple years leading up to Tropical Freeze's reveal you'd read so much hype online about how awesome Retro's secret project was going to be and how it was going to be the Wii U's quintessential graphical showcase. Most people thought it would be a beautiful new 3D Metroid, an epic StarFox reboot that would do for Star Fox what DKCR did for Donkey Kong, or an entirely new IP. A game like that could've been a great system seller. I'm sure you're aware of the crying (as your gifs point out) that happened when Tropical Freeze was revealed. The customers were not satisfied.

The desires of the vast majority of core Nintendo fans changed between the time Donkey Kong Country Returns came out and the time that Tropical Freeze was revealed. People were foaming at the mouth for Retro – one of Nintendo's best studios and known for their graphic prowess and ability to create 3D worlds – to make a new Star Fox, a new F-Zero, or a new Metroid after the tragedy of Other M. Nintendo was oblivious to the fact that most people wanted Retro to tackle a franchise they hadn't worked on before, or to save the Metroid franchise.

So I'd say Nintendo's obliviousness towards fans' overwhelming support for playable Ridley is a misreading of the majority desires of their customers. They see that people love Ridley and want him in Smash, but they may very well be missing the fact that everyone wants him to be playable, and would be very disappointed if he were merely another boss, or, worse still, demoted to stage hazard.

D

Deleted member

They are both symptoms of Nintendo being out of touch with what fans currently want.

Nintendo should know that Ridley was and is the most wanted and talked about potential Newcomer for Smash 4 by a good margin. Nintendo should also have known that just about 0% of the people who avidly follow video games were expecting or hoping for Retro's heavily secret game to be a DKCR sequel.

In the couple years leading up to Tropical Freeze's reveal you'd read so much hype online about how awesome Retro's secret project was going to be and how it was going to be the Wii U's quintessential graphical showcase. Most people thought it would be a beautiful new 3D Metroid, an epic StarFox reboot that would do for Star Fox what DKCR did for Donkey Kong, or an entirely new IP. A game like that could've been a great system seller. I'm sure you're aware of the crying (as your gifs point out) that happened when Tropical Freeze was revealed. The customers were not satisfied.

The desires of the vast majority of core Nintendo fans changed between the time Donkey Kong Country Returns came out and the time that Tropical Freeze was revealed. People were foaming at the mouth for Retro – one of Nintendo's best studios and known for their graphic prowess and ability to create 3D worlds – to make a new Star Fox, a new F-Zero, or a new Metroid after the tragedy of Other M. Nintendo was oblivious to the fact that most people wanted Retro to tackle a franchise they hadn't worked on before, or to save the Metroid franchise.

So I'd say Nintendo's obliviousness towards fans' overwhelming support for playable Ridley is a misreading of the majority desires of their customers. They see that people love Ridley and want him in Smash, but they may very well be missing the fact that everyone wants him to be playable, and would be very disappointed if he were merely another boss, or, worse still, demoted to stage hazard.
The inclusions of Mega Man and Little Mac say otherwise. Nintendo does listen to a degree, but they're a business first and foremost. With how well DKCR sold, it's really one of the most logical steps to create a sequel in order to try and capitalize off of that success, rather than make a new game for Metroid, where it's most recent game was largely criticized, or Star Fox, which hasn't had any sort of real game since the DS, as sad as I am to admit. Tropical Freeze might not have gone as planned, but just have a little faith that Nintendo knows that the fans want Ridley as playable, they aren't completely oblivious, as you apparently make them out to be.

AndreaAC

SCAN0054 - Copy.JPG

I think this is all my Ridley and Rosalina stuff.....it started with the blue sketch...I drew it when Rosalina got confirmed

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
WFT doesn't seem like a character that'll pay off for me like G&W or ROB. She may be unique but alas won't know till I try her myself

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
The inclusions of Mega Man and Little Mac say otherwise. Nintendo does listen to a degree, but they're a business first and foremost. With how well DKCR sold, it's really one of the most logical steps to create a sequel in order to try and capitalize off of that success, rather than make a new game for Metroid, where it's most recent game was largely criticized, or Star Fox, which hasn't had any sort of real game since the DS, as sad as I am to admit. Tropical Freeze might not have gone as planned, but just have a little faith that Nintendo knows that the fans want Ridley as playable, they aren't completely oblivious, as you apparently make them out to be.
Sorry, I didn't mean to say that Nintendo is always oblivious, or even that they are oblivious most of the time. I'd say the opposite: I don't think Nintendo is oblivious overall. Those were just two particular instances where Nintendo was possibly oblivious.

And I still think Nintendo is indeed quite aware that we want Ridley playable, and not just a boss/hazard. My post above is more of a "what if" scenario if for some reason Ridley isn't playable. Again, I truly believe he will be.

AndreaAC

:3 Well...it seems that i want to draw a Ridley and Rosalina thing....it has been a while....

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

I can see where you draw superficial similarities between the two cases, but I still have to disagree. With Retro, it seems to me as though a small, vocal minority of "True Retro Fans" have horribly unrealistic expectations for the studio. They believe Retro to be the second coming of Christ, and thus, the studio who will take on the glorious burden of resurrecting every Nintendo franchise outside of the Big Three, and even some within said three (a new Metroid, a new Star Fox, a new Startropics, a new Murasame Castle, a new Zelda, a new Mario Kart...). When it's Donkey Kong? "Oh, that's obviously just a joke of a side product, they're really working on resurrecting all of these other franchises instead as their main project." And outside of DKVine, there aren't many series supporters online to defend against such crap or to say they would like a sequel, even though its actual sales speak to the existence of quite a large mass of supporters who would like such a game.

Contrast Retro choosing DKC when presented with the choice between making DKC or Metroid with Sakurai choosing against Ridley in a franchise driven by fanservice, where he alone boasts about calling all of the shots ("I decide what goes into the game, no one else," says Sakurai), and the comparison is shallow at best IMO.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Pfff I wish I could draw Ridleys. I'd probably draw dumb stuff though if I could, like Dark Meta Ridley or something. That's a cool design, yo.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Pfff I wish I could draw Ridleys. I'd probably draw dumb stuff though if I could, like Dark Meta Ridley or something. That's a cool design, yo.
Yeah, I was trying to do a Steampunk Meta Ridley.

Cool in concept, but I dunno where to start.

Top Bottom