• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well, it's argauble that statement could mean one of two things.
  1. Absolutely no character from Namco will get in the roster despite them working on the game.
  2. Just because they work on the game, they won't get comfy and add multiple characters on the roster, but they may still add a single character in.
I think it's likely they're going for option 2, since there already some elements in the game influenced by other Namco series, like the Soulcalibur based Final Destination.

Plus, Pac Man already had this ever since the original arcade.

But enough derailing lets go back to Ridley and the fact that he likes cookies.
...still i hope for option 1.5 (something between this 2 options). And he never looked like that in game itself even through it was possible.
And judjing by how he looks and behaves, would he really like cookies if he is a carnivore, just a scavenger or even a necrophag/necrovore/scavenger that east only corpses/whatever, i don`t remember how it was called, so, unlike omnivores like humans, he may not like them. So, he is a pretty unlucky guy. Poor Ridley.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I have a really bad 3D perception and i can't make 3D images in my head yet
omegaZ2 - Copy.png
....So a need something that looks like Oasis' comparisons...

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Just for fun, what would your reaction be if Ridley finally gets the playable status he deserves? For me, it'll just be a simple, "We won" amidst the wild celebration.

Oh okay, I'll be screaming my lungs out like the rest of you. :laugh:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
And judjing by how he looks and behaves, would he really like cookies if he is a carnivore, just a scavenger or even a necrophag/necrovore/scavenger that east only corpses/whatever, i don`t remember how it was called, so, unlike omnivores like humans, he may not like them. So, he is a pretty unlucky guy. Poor Ridley.
I think the term you were looking for was "carrion".

And yeah, Ridley's vulture-esque physique does make him seem like a scavenger more than a predator. He claims to have eaten the corpses of the inhabitants of Samus's homeworld after raiding it due to him being stuck there or something, so it seems that he may eat more than just carrion.

Though no one can ever dismiss a cookie. You just can't do that.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Just for fun, what would your reaction be if Ridley finally gets the playable status he deserves? For me, it'll just be a simple, "We won" amidst the wild celebration.

Oh okay, I'll be screaming my lungs out like the rest of you. :laugh:
I'd have to rub it in to the tooBigots that we were right all along. Sweet space pirate justice!

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

Can you guess the reference?:p

SCAN0170.JPG

Ridley: "Hey...look, it seems that the Faker is having trouble with some Metroids."

Roidley: "Not the Metroids! NOT THE METROIDS! AAAAAHHHH!"

Omega: "Ouch. that looks painful..."

Meta: "No kiddin'..."

Ridley: "Should we help him?..."

Meta and Omega: "...hmmm...Nah..."

Ridley: "Good answer....let's enjoy the show then..."

xD A random quick doodle and dialog that came to my head....

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I Tell you whats bull* we will more than likely have more 3rd party characters than bloody first party nintendo villians? LmAo....how wrong and bad is that! Im Tired of Villians always get kicked to the curb without Villians were would our goody too shoes be without the challenges we have gave them the courage they have gained from beating us and we very much moulded them into the people they are today.

Without Us Villians, Heroes would worthless.

Countless heroes hey we are even tosses aside for sidekicks!

Sidekicks: Luigi/Falco/Lucas/Diddy

And for so long people have stressed about female representation in Smash if you have atleast 4 of each criteria (full match of 4 players its enough just about)

Females now:
Samus/ZSS (Count as one i give you the benefit
Zelda
Palutena
Rosalina

Thats 4 Females! A full playable match is Sheik a female? we still have 4 !

You can have a full match of Sidekicks

And Ow...My....3rd parties...if Snake returns (i have nothing against snake)

Sonic
Megaman
Snake
Pacman

Full match of a criteria of characters THAT ARE NOT EVEN NINTENDO!

LmAo you could go as far to count WFT chars as a criteria

G&W
R.O.B
WFT
Chorus Men (if leak is fake insert new retro here)

Now To Villians.

Bowser
Ganondorf
???
???
???

Lmao......Sakurai dont be DekuScrub bro RealTalk

Bring back Event 51 from Melee redesign it with You
No Items
Vs. Ridley, K.Rool & Ganondorf
Or replace one with Mewtwo or whatever.

Also i dont consider DDD/MK/Wario as Villians.

TLDR:
Sakurai give us the BiG 3 and dont be a Scrub.
To put it more simply, heroes are only as powerful as villains make them to be, in the end.

Hm, I suppose it's likely that Smash Run will have bosses.
Is it bad I liked the SSE?
Without wanting to go much into it, I would have to say both yes and no to that question, but if you enjoyed it despite all its flaws, then all the more power to ya I guess.

With how the King Kihunter was shown in the direct, maybe it would be the Metroid boss of Smash Run instead of Ridley? It would fit since we already have Kihunters themselves as minor enemies in the mode.

I'd have to rub it in to the tooBigots that we were right all along. Sweet space pirate justice!
"But that makes you no better than them!"

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Alright *gulp* I've made a Ridley video. Pretty self explanatory. So ... have at it *hides under desk*

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Alright *gulp* I've made a Ridley video. Pretty self explanatory. So ... have at it *hides under desk*

Liked and subscribed great video.

Yes the wait for E3 is a hard one. Its funny cause I definitely think Ridley is playable but I wont have peace until I actually see him.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I live-commented on your video, @ RelaxAlax RelaxAlax .

--The video was obviously well-made and hilarious to boot.
--Good usage of quotes, Wikipedia text, general sources.
--Hang on, we get nothing from the quote, but the Sakurai quote is nevertheless counted as a con?
--There was a lack of mentioning the opinion-based nature of Ridley detractor arguments (he can never, ever happen because I know for a fact he'd be ruined or would ruin gameplay) compared to the more open-ended Ridley supporter ones (he could happen because XYZ, and I'd like him to happen because of these factors).
--I'll point out that Ridley detractors don't have a monopoly on the "his character would be diminished" opinion. I personally think that being a Dyna Blade boss clone or a potentially lackadaisical stage hazard that can only robotically tank punishment rather than defend against it, and who is at a level below that of playable characters, is an extreme insult to the character.
--Does the size argument hold? That depends on whatever developer is working on Smash at any given time. So long as any one developer can make Ridley work, he can work. Anyone can work, even Banana Fairy Fart Man.
--Interesting use of lesser-known height statistics, as well as the weight one.
--Appreciated the inclusion of the definition of teasing.
--Hey, I spy the source I gave you!
--Animation reminds me of Game Theory (this is a very good thing), with stuff like the "Krystal clear" pop-up.
--Ending analysis of the shadow was impressively logical.
--Comparison to intense Smash matches was well-done, if a bit obvious as a development tactic, and arguably cynical when done to a victimized fanbase over a prolonged time.

9/10, would bang recommend watching.

Last edited:

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

Very Nice Video...E3 2014 should be interesting....
Is it just me or is there a tear droplet on Ridley's Eye on the video?

Morbi

Scavenger
Very well executed; you presented the information in a very entertaining way, as someone who has seen the redundant and arbitrary arguments a plethora of times, it wasn't hard to watch. I would have spent a little bit more time on the implications of the Direct and allude to the correlation with the infamous "Samus' enemy may appear at any moment" reference. However, it was a nice video.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Some 40 days to go. At least it's easier to wait until E3 than it is to wait for the game, even if there is no Ridley announcement of any kind at E3.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I will be horribly upset if they made Ridley a stage hazard simply for the boss battle for the Metroid series. As time goes by, I get the notion that if he isn't playable they didn't really bother trying and slapped him as a boss instead.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I will be horribly upset if they made Ridley a stage hazard simply for the boss battle for the Metroid series. As time goes by, I get the notion that if he isn't playable they didn't really bother trying and slapped him as a boss instead.
If they did make a legitimate effort and just ran out of time before Ridley could be finished, or they initially tested him out but just couldn't find a feasible way to make him work, then I won't be too horribly upset.

But if Ridley was assigned a boss/hazard role yet again from the very start, then Sakurai clearly doesn't understand what the fans want for the dragon if he thinks all this hyping and teasing is the way to show his relatively low status in Smash 4.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Mind........blown

Even though you didn't talk about the point out the stuff we found in the shadow (size the jump animation the jerky movement )

That is by far the most valid points video i have ever seen well done......well done

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
If they did make a legitimate effort and just ran out of time before Ridley could be finished, or they initially tested him out but just couldn't find a feasible way to make him work, then I won't be too horribly upset.

But if Ridley was assigned a boss/hazard role yet again from the very start, then Sakurai clearly doesn't understand what the fans want for the dragon if he thinks all this hyping and teasing is the way to show his relatively low status in Smash 4.
That's kind of how I perceived the direct to be hinting at. That shadow really screw over Ridley from both sides of the fence, which is something they clearly made sure to show off as well as ensure no other information is shared on Pyroshepere.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

I was going to post this after watching it. Didn't realize you had a account.

I think your last point really sums everything up well. Nintendo knows what we want. This is clear from Mega Man and Little Mac's inclusion. I don't think there would be any other addition that would make people be really excited for this game save maybe K Rool. Ridley makes a ton of sense and would greatly drum up interest in the game. It would make people excited and then they would make other excited. We'll have to see, but good video.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

What a well put together video. You did a solid job of balancing out detailed information and analyses with bits of comedy that made the video much more enjoyable as a whole. I rather like the last point you make, as well. If Ridley is, in fact, playable, then creating suspense about his inclusion would result in fantastic amounts of hype for the game when he was finally revealed. Of course, Sakurai could just be presenting an example of a boss character in an "dramatically ominous" fashion, which at this point is perhaps the more likely scenario. However, I do think Ridley isn't ruled out just yet, and I think this video does a very good job at explaining why.

Last edited:

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
I was going to post this after watching it. Didn't realize you had a account.

I think your last point really sums everything up well. Nintendo knows what we want. This is clear from Mega Man and Little Mac's inclusion. I don't think there would be any other addition that would make people be really excited for this game save maybe K Rool. Ridley makes a ton of sense and would greatly drum up interest in the game. It would make people excited and then they would make other excited. We'll have to see, but good video.
I think Ridley will be playable, but this is the same Nintendo who thought we'd be excited over Cranky Kong at the VGAs, making it their big reveal. Even the choice to have Retro make a 2D sequel to Donkey Kong Country Returns over a new Metroid shows how out of touch they are with fans' desires. Hopefully Tropical Freeze's glacial sales in both Japan and the USA have knocked some sense into them.

I just feel that Nintendo has had it in for anything Metroid related ever since Other M. Anyway...

Sakurai, on the other hand, probably reads these forums (or the Japanese equivalents). As you said, Little Mac, Megaman, and his ZSS and Palutena teases, among many other things, show this. If he truly has 100% power of decision over who gets in to Smash Wii U/3DS, then we'll get Ridley. The worst case scenario would be Sakamoto personally putting the kibosh on the idea of playable Ridley.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I think Ridley will be playable, but this is the same Nintendo who thought we'd be excited over Cranky Kong at the VGAs, making it their big reveal. Even the choice to have Retro make a 2D sequel to Donkey Kong Country Returns over a new Metroid shows how out of touch they are with fans' desires. Hopefully Tropical Freeze's glacial sales in both Japan and the USA have knocked some sense into them.

I just feel that Nintendo has had it in for anything Metroid related ever since Other M. Anyway...

Sakurai, on the other hand, probably reads these forums (or the Japanese equivalents). As you said, Little Mac, Megaman, and his ZSS and Palutena teases, among many other things, show this. If he truly has 100% power of decision over who gets in to Smash Wii U/3DS, then we'll get Ridley. The worst case scenario would be Sakamoto personally putting the kibosh on the idea of playable Ridley.
Hey, I liked Tropical Freeze! And the point of malcontent wasn't over Metroid, but Zelda!

Ah well. Unlike F-Zero and MOTHER, Metroid still has a ton of potential that can and will be tapped in the future. I'm actually hoping to play as Zamus in a title and kick some enemies' faces in with rocket boots.

D

Deleted member

VGA was a train wreck in general, and people were getting excited with the thought of a new Zelda game, not a Metroid one. But that's not what this thread is about.

Last edited by a moderator:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Even the choice to have Retro make a 2D sequel to Donkey Kong Country Returns over a new Metroid shows how out of touch they are with fans' desires. Hopefully Tropical Freeze's glacial sales in both Japan and the USA have knocked some sense into them.

Remind me which series has consistently brought in glacial Japanese sales on consoles that weren't on death's doorstop?

Sakurai seemingly being oblivious about Ridley and Nintendo advertising the sequel to a game that had just finished selling more than the combined Metroid Prime trilogy are two completely different things.

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Are glacial sales good or bad? From the context it seems bad, but glaciers are huge. So that means huge sales as far as I'm concerned.

Is this a real saying?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Are glacial sales good or bad? From the context it seems bad, but glaciers are huge. So that means huge sales as far as I'm concerned.

Is this a real saying?
This one of the meanings I found online:
gla·cial
  • suggestive of the very slow movement of glaciers<progress on the bill has been glacial>

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
This is still Ridley related, but I have a somewhat off-topic question.

This is my bird (er, one of them). His name is Brazil, it's a name he's had since birth (younger me thought naming him after his country of origin was a good idea for some reason). But I've since grown to really hate that name as I never call him by it and he doesn't know it himself either, yet for the life of me I haven't really put much thought into giving him a new one.

So then, over the last several months I've grown quite attached to Ridley despite barely playing any Metroid, but the question is, should it be Brazil's new name? His attitude is rather aggressive like that of the space dragon, and Ridley just sounds like a cool name in general. Idk, what do you guys think?

Top Bottom