• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Metroid, while successful, isn't a titan many people make it out to be. Kirby sells more than it IIRC.
Metroid seems like its a huge franchise for Nintendo but it's only the online fans that make it seem that way. In reality Donkey Kong sells much better than Metroid, but DK's online voice is smaller.
The reason? Donkey Kong has general mass appeal, while Metroid only appeals to a certain audience.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton

Not sure if this has been posted here but it really should be put in OP.

This covers pretty much everything and while I still have my doubts, This certainly gives me more hope for the guy.

he is by FAR the most deserving character not playable in Smash.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I think so too. He is one of the 3 classic franchises and still has only 1 person to represent it as a playable characters while Mario, LoZ, Pokemon and Fire Emblem has at least 3 characters, with former 3 having villains playable already (at least pokemon franchise HAD mewtwo)...while Ridley still murders out of anger because he is still not representing his franchise.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
Alright *gulp* I've made a Ridley video. Pretty self explanatory. So ... have at it *hides under desk*

Really well made video. Not just good arguments and the way they're presented, but also impressive editing, comedy timing ect. I can see you go places in the future if you continue to make videos, good job man!

......although, I still try to figure out why the original message links me to Nicolas Cage screaming at bees, while the video proper appears when quoted. Oh well

Edit: It appears to have been a glitch and everything works properly now. Still, was amusing while it lasted

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I can't believe how much some were overestimating Metroid series' sales last couple pages or so, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Pretty much what Koopaul said though. Much as it's my favorite franchise, I can see why it only appeals to a specific audience.

Late on seeing that 14 minute video, but I suppose it did make me lighten up a little more on the whole situation. If something gets me to do that, then it's a job ****ing well done.

And glad to hear how the naming of your new bird turned out WingedSnagret. lol

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Not sure if this has been posted here but it really should be put in OP.

This covers pretty much everything and while I still have my doubts, This certainly gives me more hope for the guy.

(yes i know this isn`t really his post, but im too lazy to go back and find it no matter how far should i go) Great video, nearly all arguments are there and...Ridley Gangnam Style?! What it does here?! Anyway, im happy to see one of my animations being used somewhere other than Mugen fights.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
*Singing* Happy Birthday to me! Happy Birthday to me! Happy Birthday to me! Now please Mr. Sakurai show Ridley at E3!!!!

I don't normally make Birthday wishes but this one time feels appropriate. I wish for playable Ridley in SSB4. :colorful:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
*Singing* Happy Birthday to me! Happy Birthday to me! Happy Birthday to me! Now please Mr. Sakurai show Ridley at E3!!!!

I don't normally make Birthday wishes but this one time feels appropriate. I wish for playable Ridley in SSB4. :colorful:
Happy birthday to you and may your dreams come true! Especially the last part since its not only your wish...
Also, i made few images not related to ridley, but kraid instead:
And videos with Ridley:

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Does this count as a birthday gift

http://www.shacknews.com/article/84290/super-smash-bros-tournament-at-e3-to-be-playable-at

Its news about E3 and best buy is giving a demo version of ssb4 in june
Wouldn`t 3DS version be released already or they will give us demo version 1/2 months before the final release?
And by the way, maybe someone could search Ridley in game`s files or something like that? It is possible since someone already ripped few models from 3ds games, but i don`t know whenever or not its legal...but we of course won`t do anything beyond that. Or it will be a large spoiler then?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So I'm watching an LP of Other M.

As stupid as Samus's little confrontation with Ridley was, did any other games ever explain why Ridley is such a personal opponent for Samus?

If not, looking at the games objectively without knowledge of the manga or supplemental backstory, up until Other M, Ridley was just a big, scary-looking reoccurring boss to connect the Metroid games to each other.

D

Deleted member

That's part of your lack of immagination. Fact is, Samus looks after her Other M design, and Pyro Sphere comes from Other M to. Pyro Sphere could also easily be a sort of 'home stage' to Anthony Higgs. He's the most likely Metroid newcomer. Easily.
Link, Zelda and Ganondorf's design also come form Twilight Princess as well as Bridge of Eldin and Midna didn't get in. I don't see how this helps Anthony Higgs.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So I'm watching an LP of Other M.

As stupid as Samus's little confrontation with Ridley was, did any other games ever explain why Ridley is such a personal opponent for Samus?

If not, looking at the games objectively without knowledge of the manga or supplemental backstory, up until Other M, Ridley was just a big, scary-looking reoccurring boss to connect the Metroid games to each other.
Because:
1. He killed her mother right in front of her.
2. He and his troops killed all of her friends and everyone she knew on her homeworld.
3. He ate her mother and many other corpses and told that to her.
4. He attempted to kill her numerous times.
5. He stole Baby Metroid.
6. He desecrated part of Zebes, which is something none of the space pirates did, by destroying few statues and placing a lot of his own, basicly giving them a bird/finger.
If no manga or manual is used, then its just because of 4, 5 and 6.
Oh, about big characters still working in fighter games, i found screenshots with this 2 characters i mentioned few days ago:
Feral Chaos:

Biollante:

And she can get even bigger!

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
It did help Sheik.

And am not happy with it.
Why? Wanted someone else instead of Sheik or something else?
And Anthony?! Really? He appeared ONCE, isn`t really important and is remembered mostly as a MBD, doesn`t deserves to be 2nd person/character to represent metroid franchise at all (i would like to have Rhedogian or Desbrachian more than him...you know what, i want them!) and there is more important characters than him (even Sylux is more important) and the most important point is that HE IS NOT RIDLEY, 2ND MAJOR CHARACTER AND 2ND MOST IMPORTANT INDIVIDUAL CHARACTER in metroid universe. I hope you were joking.
I think im starting to enjoy writing text like that...

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Because:
2. He and his troops killed all of her friends and everyone she knew on her homeworld.
6. He desecrated part of Zebes, which is something none of the space pirates did, by destroying few statues and placing a lot of his own, basicly giving them a bird/finger.
Yeah, as totally awesome as Ridley is, a lot of his character and deeds take a backseat to the game itself, leaving only the manga and manual.
I would argue that it wasn't until Prime that Ridley began separating himself from other reoccurring bosses like Zelda's Gohma or Mario's Boom-Boom., and was finally solidified as a major character in-game. Prime 3 helped by resurrecting the thing twice, and Other M lifted Ridley from the pages of backstory into the realm of cutscenes. Tons and tons of cutscenes.

So many cutscenes devoted to talking about Ridley and how dangerous he is.

Loathe as I am to admit it, Other M's emphasis on the Ridley subplot has probably solidified his place on the roster.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Anthony Higgs is only ever talked about for the sole merit of him being a nice guy and the only good thing about Other M.

He's absent from over half the game, he plays a minor role, and everything he can bring to the game Adam can bring tenfold. There's nothing to back up Anthony at all, he's a minor character in a single game in the franchise, he'd be by far and wide the character who deserved to be included the least in Smash Bros' history, even less than someone like Pichu and Jigglypuff who both were at least actually very relevant for their time. As I've always said it's Ridley or bust for Metroid, no Metroid character will get in before him, and no Metroid character will get in after him (unless Dark Samus somehow returns in the Metroid franchise.) If Anthony was ever included it'd simply be another sign pointing towards Sakurai not understanding Metroid as a franchise.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah, as totally awesome as Ridley is, a lot of his character and deeds take a backseat to the game itself, leaving only the manga and manual.
I would argue that it wasn't until Prime that Ridley began separating himself from other reoccurring bosses like Zelda's Gohma or Mario's Boom-Boom., and was finally solidified as a major character in-game. Prime 3 helped by resurrecting the thing twice, and Other M lifted Ridley from the pages of backstory into the realm of cutscenes. Tons and tons of cutscenes.

So many cutscenes devoted to talking about Ridley and how dangerous he is.

Loathe as I am to admit it, Other M's emphasis on the Ridley subplot has probably solidified his place on the roster.
And he was confirmed as being as dangerous (or even more dangerous) as/than metroids themselves. He is a totally bada$$ guy that doesn`t even needs magic or unnatural super powers to be such. And still i like his OM boss battle more than any of the previous boss battles and it can become even more awesome if sense move isn`t used since its kinda broken. Just gameplay and graphics (and few soundtracks) of this game was awesome, better than prime games in my opinion (never played prime games, through), but plot and lack of music kinda destroyed it in eyes of metroid fans. Excluding Ridley would be like excluding Kind Ghidorah, Sephiroth, Bowser, Ganondorf or Ken from Godzilla games, Final Fantasy Dissidia thing, Mario games, LoZ or Street Fighter respectivly (i believe this word means what i think about and not something else).
And i fully agree with @ MasterOfKnees MasterOfKnees .

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why? Wanted someone else instead of Sheik or something else?
And Anthony?! Really? He appeared ONCE, isn`t really important and is remembered mostly as a MBD, doesn`t deserves to be 2nd person/character to represent metroid franchise at all (i would like to have Rhedogian or Desbrachian more than him...you know what, i want them!) and there is more important characters than him (even Sylux is more important) and the most important point is that HE IS NOT RIDLEY, 2ND MAJOR CHARACTER AND 2ND MOST IMPORTANT INDIVIDUAL CHARACTER in metroid universe. I hope you were joking.
I think im starting to enjoy writing text like that...
Sheik appeared only once to. And yes I wanted Impa
That's not the same thing. Sheik and Zelda were transformed characters in Melee, so it made sense that they would show up together.
Not with that Phantom Down B. And them being separated...

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Sheik appeared only once to. And yes I wanted Impa

Not with that Phantom Down B. And them being separated...
There was no one more important than her during Melee days since she represented Ocarina of Time.

He was talking about Brawl, not 4. In Brawl, they didn`t cut her because it was a unique thing to her (transformation during the match without needing the smash ball) and she already was in Melee. Mewtwo got cut because of time or Lucario (i think because of the former). Dr.Mario got cut because he was a clone. Young Link got replaced because he was a clone (still, they replaced him with yet another clone) and to represent another game of the franchise. Pichu got cut because it was a PATHETIC clone of Pikachu.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't see how as a Ridley supporter you wouldn't be upset about this. Sheik got bull****ted in 3 times. Ridley bull****ted out 2 times.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I don't see how as a Ridley supporter you wouldn't be upset about this. Sheik got bull****ted in 3 times. Ridley bull****ted out 2 times.
He wasn`t that important during Melee (he appeared in NES Metroid, Super Metroid and Prime 1 only and nothing confirmed anything between him and Samus, he was just a regular reocurring boss) and we ARE upset he wasn`t in brawl because he already was confirmed as important and being murderer of Samus` parents and destruction of her homeworld was his fault.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sheik and Ridley are apples and oranges. Sheik has been included as playable before, and probably will stay that way fro Smash tradition. Ridley has never been playable, and very well may not be in this one.

They're two separate characters in two separate situations. There's no comparison to be made.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Sheik is simply a character who during her time of relevancy was lucky enough to get into Smash, and has proven to be popular enough to keep on appearing. Jigglypuff is in for exactly the same reason, and we've got Greninja who has something to prove this time around too. Ridley is a different ballgame, he's a widely recognized and very popular character who's getting neglected constantly, likely for some bull**** reason. Sheik has a reason to stay, Ridley has a reason to get in, but one of these things aren't being fulfilled. Not everything can be compared to Sheik.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
He wasn`t that important during Melee (he appeared in NES Metroid, Super Metroid and Prime 1 only and nothing confirmed anything between him and Samus, he was just a regular reocurring boss) and we ARE upset he wasn`t in brawl because he already was confirmed as important and being murderer of Samus` parents and destruction of her homeworld was his fault.
Prime hadn't even come out yet, neither had Fusion. He had literally only appeared in two games. But by the time Brawl came out, he had appeared in six games total.
IMO, he should have been in, I just don't think that Sakurai was fully aware of the level of fan demand.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sheik is simply a character who during her time of relevancy was lucky enough to get into Smash, and has proven to be popular enough to keep on appearing. Jigglypuff is in for exactly the same reason, and we've got Greninja who has something to prove this time around too. Ridley is a different ballgame, he's a widely recognized and very popular character who's getting neglected constantly, likely for some bull**** reason. Sheik has a reason to stay, Ridley has a reason to get in, but one of these things aren't being fulfilled. Not everything can be compared to Sheik.
All evil in the world can be compared to Sheik! :4sheik:

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Sheik wasn't a bad choice but one I assume they included to help ease the thought of Zelda being included. She was a damsel in distress who wasn't really all that as far as fighting goes. Since Sheik and Zelda were the same person, let them become one.

Ridley was given the stink eye in Brawl for a boss and what looks to be the same thing in Sm4sh.

D

Deleted member

Because:
Oh, about big characters still working in fighter games, i found screenshots with this 2 characters i mentioned few days ago:
Feral Chaos:

Biollante:

And she can get even bigger!
I don't think Biollante's bigger between the two pics; I think that Titanosaurus is just smaller than Mechagodzilla.
The only character that can change sizes naturally (meaning, without Critical Mass, which every monster can obtain) is Jet Jaguar if I recall.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I agree it's a superficial comparison that largely depends on whether or not you believe that a substantially greater number of Nintendo fans wanted Retro to do something other than a DKCR sequel.

As far as obliviousness goes, Retro's refusal to use the Kremlings in two games in a row despite the poor response to the Tikis and, from what I've gathered, the seeming vast majority of DK fans wanting the Kremling crew back (and Retro knows this, too, since they've been asked about Kremlings in interviews, i.e. the "there won't be any crocodiles in this game" quote) would be more accurately comparable to the Ridley situation.

In both cases the game developer is not only willfully choosing to ignore the desires of the majority of fans, but (especially in the case of Sakurai and Ridley) actively taunting and tormenting them with how long they've dragged this out by throwing fans scraps of (false) hope for almost a year and refusing to outright disconfirm.
I don't know if I'd say Retro listens to nothing from the fans...we got back additional Kongs, David Wise, water and ice levels, and no more godawful blowing mechanic in Tropical Freeze, although it's unknown whether they took those suggestions from fans or were already going to do them anyway (like how I theorize Sakurai would have always put in Palutena because of bias). The Kremling comparison is quite similar to the Ridley one, though, in that Retro conceals their final boss in a silhouette, playing on fans' hopes that it's K. Rool and not some generic one-off walrus like it appears to be, only for the latter option to eventually happen. Sakurai is doing that with Ridley, albeit with playable and stage hazard being the two possibilities instead.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Is BaganSmashBros the guy who makes Godzilla videos using Unleashed models and MMD.
Nah, it was MMDCharizard. I am the guy that makes mugen characters using models. And even those videos aren`t serious. Maybe you`re talking about someone else`s videos, i don`t know.
I don't think Biollante's bigger between the two pics; I think that Titanosaurus is just smaller than Mechagodzilla.
The only character that can change sizes naturally (meaning, without Critical Mass, which every monster can obtain) is Jet Jaguar if I recall.
I didn`t meant she can do that just when she wants to, i meant she can become even bigger by using Critical Mass from crystals. And she is bigger than she was in her movie. And Titanosaurus is bigger than MG as far as i know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom