• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
We've talked about his voice, but what kind of expressions do you think Ridley would have? Some characters that were pretty boring in Brawl have gotten upgrades when it comes to emotive reactions (just look at smug Charizard here), so could Ridley get the same treatment?

I think Andrea's surprised Ridley art is a good start for when he gets hit. Maybe a menacing look with the most subtle of grins when landing a successful blow, and a proud glint in his eyes while in flight. Little things like that.
Well, since his face is kinda...well...frozen...maybe (as TVTropes call it) "Slasher Smile" and just "WTF" expressions? He never showed any emotions outside of the manga, but even then it was mostly "WTF" and "Slasher Smile".
Here's a question.

What would his Final Smash be? :yeahboi:
Maybe something like Link`s final smash? Or something like Snake`s final smash? Transformations for him would be kinda boring and this would mean he loses his legs, tail, wings and neck for no reasons other than using final smash.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Nah, he wouldn't have arms.

Birds, as far as evolution is concerned, have wings, which are homologous structures to mammalian forearms, as well as the front limbs of certain reptiles (namely crocodilians and lizards). Ridley's wings are not attached to his arms. The lack of feathers in his adult form kind of also imply he's not a bird. I doubt his bones are that hollow as well, given how often he crashes into things and comes out unscathed.

I'd say reptilian, over all. More specifically, inline with prehistoric pterosaurs. The only difference there is that Ridley has arms detached from his wings, which is likely attributed to his brutal hunting nature and intelligence that would allow the use of tools.
I thought the general consensus was that he was a dragon, since that's what his body structure resembles the most. And just because Ridley is in a sci-fi setting that doesn't mean he can't be one. Dragons, or dragon-like creatures, aren't limited to fantasy only.

Morbi

Scavenger
Well, since his face is kinda...well...frozen...maybe (as TVTropes call it) "Slasher Smile" and just "WTF" expressions? He never showed any emotions outside of the manga, but even then it was mostly "WTF" and "Slasher Smile".

Maybe something like Link`s final smash? Or something like Snake`s final smash? Transformations for him would be kinda boring and this would mean he loses his legs, tail, wings and neck for no reasons other than using final smash.
Ridley would climb out of a helicopter and fire grenades at other participants? I would not mind, but it just seems a little out of character.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
We've talked about his voice, but what kind of expressions do you think Ridley would have? Some characters that were pretty boring in Brawl have gotten upgrades when it comes to emotive reactions (just look at smug Charizard here), so could Ridley get the same treatment?

I think Andrea's surprised Ridley art is a good start for when he gets hit. Maybe a menacing look with the most subtle of grins when landing a successful blow, and a proud glint in his eyes while in flight. Little things like that.
Expressions? He'd be the most smug space-pterodactyl-dragon-pirate ever. Like, his expression would be one of your imminent demise. He knows he's going to kill you. Slowly, painfully as the blood drains from your charred corpse, he'd laugh and eat you.

In the off chance he's not smug, I'd imagine him being pissed off all the time from not being in the past 3 Smash Bros. He's still a bit upset for not being in the Villains of SSB Club.

Poor Greninja...the only amphibian in a set of reptiles. :laugh:
Yoshi has been described as amphibious before, I believe. However, all of them are cold blooded being reptilian and amphibious, unless you go by the theory that Dinosaurs, like Yoshi and Ridley(pterosaurs are close enough) are warm blooded, in which case, there is no connection between them other than theoretically hatching from eggs.

I wouldn't know if Ridley hatched from an egg, since I didn't play Other M.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ridley would climb out of a helicopter and fire grenades at other participants? I would not mind, but it just seems a little out of character.
No, just fly close to the screen and shoot fireballs similar to those he uses during his first battle in MP3.
A lot of text.
Well, i was mostly joking and who knows who exactly he is. Maybe neither. Its an alien space pirate dragon.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I thought the general consensus was that he was a dragon, since that's what his body structure resembles the most. And just because Ridley is in a sci-fi setting that doesn't mean he can't be one. Dragons, or dragon-like creatures, aren't limited to fantasy only.
This was under the assumption that Dragons fell under the Reptile category. :p

Yoshi has been described as amphibious before, I believe. However, all of them are cold blooded being reptilian and amphibious, unless you go by the theory that Dinosaurs, like Yoshi and Ridley(pterosaurs are close enough) are warm blooded, in which case, there is no connection between them other than theoretically hatching from eggs.

I wouldn't know if Ridley hatched from an egg, since I didn't play Other M.
Yoshi can't be an amphibian. Not only does a Yoshi lay hard-shelled eggs as opposed to gelatinous eggs, but in Super Mario Sunshine, Yoshi dissolved if he touched water.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
This was under the assumption that Dragons fell under the Reptile category. :p
True, for the most part. But since dragons are overall mythical creatures their anatomy can be wildly varied, such as some with feathers or fur. I've even heard about a few that give birth to live young (I think it was a board game?). So being a dragon doesn't automatically pertain to being a reptile, at least in the way that we classify them.

Morbi

Scavenger
I thought RIdley was officially based off of a Pterodactyl...
Maybe he was based on a pterodactyl dragon? Honestly; Ridley is a dragon to most, it just seems entirely pretentious to pretend that you don't understand why many allude to Ridley as a dragon.

Not you specifically Pacack. I just mean in general.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I thought RIdley was officially based off of a Pterodactyl...
Nah, he is a xenomorph with pteroSAUR`s head with teeth, wings and more reptilian look.
Just look at this wonderful image:

Its just a spinosaurus and xenomorphs` parts being used AND THATS ALL.
Ridley was based off xenomorphs from Alien movies and has Ridley Scott`s name.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Maybe he was based on a pterodactyl dragon? Honestly; Ridley is a dragon to most, it just seems entirely pretentious to pretend that you don't understand why many allude to Ridley as a dragon.

Not you specifically Pacack. I just mean in general.
Oh, I definitely understand. I just thought that was the official statement at one time.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Here's a question.

What would his Final Smash be? :yeahboi:
5:43

Immune to projectles
Double damage done to opponments
And temporary instead of until shot with a super missle
And ofcoarse immune to knockback as well

Oh and another hint of size is smaller if you don't blink in the video ridley fills the whole middle circle while he does not on the ssb4 version

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284

Immune to projectles

Oh and another hint of size is smaller if you don't blink in the video ridley fills the whole middle circle while he does not on the ssb4 version
I hope that in the event Ridley is playable that an alternate costume of his would be his Super Metroid appearance. His Other M form just seems...off. Maybe it's the head or the colors.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984

Immune to projectles
And ofcoarse immune to knockback as well

Not only that but the Super Smash Pyrosphere is much smaller then the Other M Pyrosphere.

I can't wait to see what tweaks Sakurai does to his design.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I may do those other request in a while....

R2A571_0D73CBF6CDEF6_001.gif

"..."

Ridley just needs to cheer up a little....

majora_787

Smash Hero
But didn't you know? Ridley is the only video game character who can't physically be resized. It is literally impossible. It's a ghost curse from awesome skeleton hell college or something. Ridley just somehow is not really a video game character, and can't be resized. Olimar is and can.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
But didn't you know? Ridley is the only video game character who can't physically be resized. It is literally impossible. It's a ghost curse from awesome skeleton hell college or something. Ridley just somehow is not really a video game character, and can't be resized. Olimar is and can.
I know it sucks.......so not fair.......

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Ridley can't be resized? Oh, lament! Guess we have to lock the thread now. Everyone, go home. No more Ridley thread. Obviously, he cannot be resized ever! The Acolytes of Lord Ridley have fallen! Despair!

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I never seen any good Humanizations of Ridley
Anyone got any?

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
:/ oh, I have seen some....but they look terrible.....in fact, I never liked the idea of Ridley being human.... :c It takes his uniqueness off.....and many other things....

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
:/ oh, I have seen some....but they look terrible.....in fact, I never liked the idea of Ridley being human.... :c It takes his uniqueness off.....and many other things....
Oh of course, RIdley is best as a Space Dragon.
But it can still be interesting to see what people can come up with.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Did you forget something

“Pic of the day. This dog is huge… Wait, no, the playable characters are small. the Smash Bros. series doesn’t always stay true to scale.” - SAKURAI, Masahiro

And did you see all metroid games with him in it he changed size almost everytime the most obvious is metroid prime 3

And were you lookig. A oblivianwolfs post and a couple of mine and some others we practicaly prooved ridley got shrunken from last time even the pyrosphere stage is shruken from the orginal

(Ps i think your saying ridley being smaller is impossible correct me if im wrong for me)

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284

Did you forget something

“Pic of the day. This dog is huge… Wait, no, the playable characters are small. the Smash Bros. series doesn’t always stay true to scale.” - SAKURAI, Masahiro

And did you see all metroid games with him in it he changed size almost everytime the most obvious is metroid prime 3

And were you lookig. A oblivianwolfs post and a couple of mine and some others we practicaly prooved ridley got shrunken from last time even the pyrosphere stage is shruken from the orginal
I found a way around the size dilemma.

Ridley doesn't shrink.
Everyone else got larger.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Ridley just somehow is not really a video game character
Which is exactly why he doesn't deserve to be in Smash.

am i doing this right?

Anyway, about his size: I'm pretty sure there's no denying that the Ridley we see is smaller than the one in Other M. The Pyrosphere Stage is smaller too though. Not sure that necessarily helps him since it's hard to tell from a skewed shadow whether or not he is 'playable size.' Honestly the shadow has been analyzed to death already and everyone seems to have their own opinion on it.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Dude, my bad. I totally forgot that.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Which is exactly why he doesn't deserve to be in Smash.

am i doing this right?

Anyway, about his size: I'm pretty sure there's no denying that the Ridley we see is smaller than the one in Other M. The Pyrosphere Stage is smaller too though. Not sure that necessarily helps him since it's hard to tell from a skewed shadow whether or not he is 'playable size.' Honestly the shadow has been analyzed to death already and everyone seems to have their own opinion on it.
Im ignoring the first part but

Yes everyone has different information on the shadow

And to help ridley yet again yes theres also a shrinking illusion for shadows as well but those are extremely rare from 1 light angle especially because the light source is the flowing lava which is a few inches higher than the arena itself so its a side light source

The shrinking one is only possible from a above view light

Top Bottom