• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Koopaul

Smash Champion
One of the things I'm not looking forward to is the gloating from Ridley detractors.

Any other character gets deconfirmed, no one gloats and says "Haha! Told you so!" Well maybe a few. But Ridley has a ton for some reason.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
@andimidna
According to your Signature, I Think we now know the effects of Ganondorf's and Mewtwo's attacks. That Purple effects they Always have. Just realised that. Neat. :)

Anyways, Ridley. I hope Pichu is back, for the cheere fact that I can beat up Ridley with him. :3

majora_787

Smash Hero
Mewtwo doesn't really have a chance of returning anymore because we already got 4 Pokémon and we will probably only have 5, last being Jigglypuff because she is from the original 12, everything else, I agree, (except maybe Ike being cut)
Is this the made up rule of "Pokemon can't have 6 characters even though it had 6 in Brawl" accompanied by the "Pokemon can't have more characters than Mario does even though it did in Brawl" rule and the insanely misinterpreted "If they're in the original 12 they are automatically safe forever no matter what" mindset? Well that's nifty.

But this is a thread about Ridley and none of that really has any bearing here.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
@andimidna
According to your Signature, I Think we now know the effects of Ganondorf's and Mewtwo's attacks. That Purple effects they Always have. Just realised that. Neat. :)

Anyways, Ridley. I hope Pichu is back, for the cheere fact that I can beat up Ridley with him. :3

@ Koopaul Koopaul
The bigger something is, the more hate it will get. Ridley is big, and his support is gigantic. Some feeds on that, just like loads of people feeds on hate about MLP.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Mewtwo doesn't really have a chance of returning anymore because we already got 4 Pokémon and we will probably only have 5, last being Jigglypuff because she is from the original 12, everything else, I agree, (except maybe Ike being cut)
To be honest, i kinda don`t want her to return and would prefer to have Mewtwo instead even through im not one of his supporters. But who said 5 is max amount of characters? Pokemon franchise already had 6 in Brawl.
And if Pichu will be confirmed and Mewtwo and Ridley (especially Ridley) won`t, then im gonna blow something up and rip out someone`s brain and spinal cord. Why? Because Pichu is a pathetic clone (litteraly, since he hurts himself and is even lighter than him) while Mewtwo and Ridley (especially Ridley) aren`t..
One of the things I'm not looking forward to is the gloating from Ridley detractors.

Any other character gets deconfirmed, no one gloats and says "Haha! Told you so!" Well maybe a few. But Ridley has a ton for some reason.
And that is a mystery that won`t be solved unless Ridley will be a playable character. No, really, WHY RIDLEY AND NOT TOAD OR PAC MAN?!

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So I've been looking over some of the Brawl Bosses.

With the exception of Porky, the bosses tended to stay in designated "safe zones", consisting of either the dead center of the stage or the edges. Even Tabuu's teleport spam attack ended with him in the center.

I'Unno, maybe this could be used to compare what we know of Shadow Ridley at the moment.

Alternately, you could talk about objectively how good/bad Ridley was as a Brawl boss.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So I've been looking over some of the Brawl Bosses.

With the exception of Porky, the bosses tended to stay in designated "safe zones", consisting of either the dead center of the stage or the edges. Even Tabuu's teleport spam attack ended with him in the center.

I'Unno, maybe this could be used to compare what we know of Shadow Ridley at the moment.

Alternately, you could talk about objectively how good/bad Ridley was as a Brawl boss.
Personaly, i think that his Brawl boss battle was just a Dyna 2.0.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Yeah, the way Shadow Ridley moves is just one of the things that seems off for him if he was a Boss. I'd feel he would act more like Brawl's normal Ridley. This one stops suddenly, hovers, then flies forward again. He looks controlled to me. :p

Also, I like the boss battles in Brawl, but there's still such a shame there were only a very few actual franchise bosses.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah, the way Shadow Ridley moves is just one of the things that seems off for him if he was a Boss. I'd feel he would act more like Brawl's normal Ridley. This one stops suddenly, hovers, then flies forward again. He looks controlled to me. :p

Also, I like the boss battles in Brawl, but there's still such a shame there were only a very few actual franchise bosses.
And his animation looks choppy/chopy/not-so-fluid/not-very-smooth. Maybe its just because of the version of video i saw, i don`t know.

And few actual franchise enemies. Or you meant SSB-original bosses?

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
There were 4-5 Nintendo bosses, and 3 Nintendo unique bosses. That is basically what is being said. Which isn't the best ratio, considering.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
And his animation looks choppy/chopy/not-so-fluid/not-very-smooth. Maybe its just because of the version of video i saw, i don`t know.

And few actual franchise enemies. Or you meant SSB-original bosses?
No, that shadow Always looks pretty choppy. ^^

And yeah, I meant, too many Smash-made Bosses. I mean, there were only 3 ones, but it felt lacking with only Petey Piranha, Rayquaza, Ridley, Porky and MetaRidley as Nintendo bosses. And only Goombas, Koopas, Hammer Bros, and Bullet Bills (pretty much) as enemies. Oh well, I still really liked the SSE. But I love Smash Run's massive amount of enemies~

But anyways. If Ridley is playable, I guess Pyrosphere will be his Home Stage. I hope Samus' Home Stage will be her Spaceship. That'd be e Epic stage.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
No, that shadow Always looks pretty choppy. ^^

And yeah, I meant, too many Smash-made Bosses. I mean, there were only 3 ones, but it felt lacking with only Petey Piranha, Rayquaza, Ridley, Porky and MetaRidley as Nintendo bosses. And only Goombas, Koopas, Hammer Bros, and Bullet Bills (pretty much) as enemies. Oh well, I still really liked the SSE. But I love Smash Run's massive amount of enemies~

But anyways. If Ridley is playable, I guess Pyrosphere will be his Home Stage. I hope Samus' Home Stage will be her Spaceship. That'd be e Epic stage.
So, was it because of the original video`s framerate or Ridley has choppy animations?

Yeah, why not Underworld enemies, Space Pirates, Kremlings and Dreamland enemies? That was kinda dissapointing.

With Mii boblehead or whatever its called just as a homage to the Prime 3 ship with Meta Ridley being in the background or being a boss for this arena, shooting at the players, ramming at high speed, using bombs and just physical attacks. Yes, it is Ridley boss, but its Meta Ridley, incarnation of him that won`t be a playable character before Ridley will be.
And still i would prefer Lower Norfair to be Ridley`s home stage. With a lava hazard again, but in a bit different way - each time lava rises, arena will heat up and fighters would need to move to the area blocked by door (metroid door, one that must be hit to open it) which will be covered by grey blast shield (i think i messed up the names) after some time, locking unfortunate fighters in the hot area, which will damage them each second without flinching of course. After some time, lava would lower, lowering temperature too. The stage itself would be large to allow that...i can dream, right? That would be a good stage...better than any of the previous metroid stages. Super Smash Flash 2 or Super Smash Bros Crusade team, please, make it happen!

I noticed that no one bringed up SSBC fan game (or i just forgot about that) which has Ridley as a playable character and he works well. Unfortunately, game itself has not the best sprites, AI likes to taunt at player if he is far away from him and few glitches and issues that is easy to spot when they occur. There is also Super Smash Flash 2 fan game with a lot better sprites, animations and gameplay, but it unfortunately lacks Ridley (at least for now)...unless expansion characters will be made with Ridley being one of them.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I noticed that no one bringed up SSBC fan game (or i just forgot about that) which has Ridley as a playable character and he works well. Unfortunately, game itself has not the best sprites, AI likes to taunt at player if he is far away from him and few glitches and issues that is easy to spot when they occur. There is also Super Smash Flash 2 fan game with a lot better sprites, animations and gameplay, but it unfortunately lacks Ridley (at least for now)...unless expansion characters will be made with Ridley being one of them.
LOL, I just took a look at this, and he looks completely fine and proportional.
It's actually kind of hilarious how easy it would be to make it work, and how wrong his detractors are.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
It's actually kind of hilarious how easy it would be to make it work, and how wrong his detractors are.
But still i would prefer him to be in SSF2...but i think they won`t add him because SSBC team already did...duh...but i still hope for the best (ridley being in ssb4/project m AND in ssf2).
Its gonna be EVEN MORE hilarious when Project M or SSB4 developers will make him work. If not in SSB4, then at least Project M will show that its not impossible to make him work, its just Sakurai or someone else out of the developers team not wanting him (thats only if he is a boss in SSB4). But as few users already said here, Hope for the Best, Expect the Worst or something like that.
And this is going to be their fate if he is confirmed or fate of someone who will post something beyond stupid here (or at least first thing i will do if he is in any of those 3 games):
Roidley and Pyrosphere? Reminds me of something...not the original Geothermal Power Plant area of course...and its a nearly perfect size for Ridley, don`t you think so? And a good idea for Down Throw.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I still want him in more than any other character (besides pipe dream characters).

I hope to god that Sakurai's trolling is exactly what it looks like, and that he's just hyping up the eventual reveal. I hope to god.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I still want him in more than any other character (besides pipe dream characters).

I hope to god that Sakurai's trolling is exactly what it looks like, and that he's just hyping up the eventual reveal. I hope to god.
MAH BOI! Hoping for your favourite (but not pipe dream) character is what all true supporters strive for! (Hoping for) Ridley in Smash 4 AND analyzing things about him is what all true Ridley supporters strive for! *laughs*
It indeed looks like trolling, but still expect the worst outcome and if Sakurai wasn`t trolling (i doubt it), then this falcon punch into the face will feel like just a punch in the face.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
MAH BOI! Hoping for your favourite (but not pipe dream) character is what all true supporters strive for! (Hoping for) Ridley in Smash 4 AND analyzing things about him is what all true Ridley supporters strive for! *laughs*
It indeed looks like trolling, but still expect the worst outcome and if Sakurai wasn`t trolling (i doubt it), then this falcon punch into the face will feel like just a punch in the face.
Honestly, Ridley is one of the last true Nintendo All-Stars remaining. He needs to be in.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Proportional, but small. Thats almost an Human-sized Ridley.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Honestly, Ridley is one of the last true Nintendo All-Stars remaining. He needs to be in.
I and everyone here agrees with it. Everyone who doesn`t think so and think he doesn`t seserves must be promptly shot. No offence here, but he seriously as important as Medusa/Hades, Ganondorf, Bowser, DDD and Wario is to their series.
Proportional, but small. Thats almost an Human-sized Ridley.
Looks about as big as the Ridley from the Melee intro, and the Ridley from the original game (if not bigger). He looks fine.
I would prefer him to be a little bit bigger (somewhere near Bowser and Ganondorf big).

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
So, what would people's reactions be if the playable Ridley is the one from the first Metroid? That Blue Flie-looking thing?

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Wouldn't care that much, but my biggest concern would be his smaller movepool to draw from.
I would care, in that he simply isn't Ridley-Epic in that form. Would still main him, of course. ^^

And well, not necessarily. He can still do things newer Ridleys does, if Sakurai wants him to. But really, of the existing Ridleys, I do Think the Other M one is the one most fit for Smash. Unless they make their own design, which would be Epic.

fuljak

Smash Rookie
I didn't notice this thread at first, i apologize for the other thread.

Anyway.

Ridley is in due to his animations in the direct.

Player controlled entities almost always have jerky-ish movement to cope with user input. Animations aren't super fluid.

Non-player entities however have the freedom to have completely fluid animations due to the developers having complete control over when and where it animates.

Ridley's shadow had jerky movements like any other smash character does. Namely, when the shadow flies in, stops for a moment, and then continues off screen. There is a very clear distinction between the "standing" animation and the "moving" animation. An NPC boss would NEVER behave that way. You can see a better indication of this by watching his tail closely. It almost WARPS into a different position when he goes from idling to moving again. That would never pass QA for a boss animation. If anything, Boss Ridley would have a much longer decelerating animation to transition between moving and idling, like boss ridley from SSBB.

Heres the shadow for your easy viewing: http://youtu.be/7xUWnQu2Grs?t=7m19s

And heres Ridley's boss fight in SSBB: http://youtu.be/iJP8TtY3eig?t=48s

Note the very fluid animation transitions in the boss fight versus the shadow. Shadow is jerky as all hell, especially right at the end where it looks like it spazzes out left and right. Boss Ridley's animations don't skip a single frame, whereas shadow skips a ton. Also, what kind of boss just floats in the stage, sits still, and then merrily flaps away without any sort of attack? They would have had to create a special string of animations that they will never use again JUST for the 10 second clip of shadow right after they showed Yellow Devil exactly the way he functions in the game. They haven't created a special in-game animation sequence for ANYTHING. All in-game vids have been rehearsed an recorded manually.

(for tail warping action, see 7:26 in the direct vid. It's so blatant I might cry)

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068

Anyway.

Player controlled entities almost always have jerky-ish movement to cope with user input. Animations aren't super fluid.

Non-player entities however have the freedom to have completely fluid animations due to the developers having complete control over when and where it animates.

Ridley's shadow had jerky movements like any other smash character does. Namely, when the shadow flies in, stops for a moment, and then continues off screen. There is a very clear distinction between the "standing" animation and the "moving" animation. An NPC boss would NEVER behave that way. You can see a better indication of this by watching his tail closely. It almost WARPS into a different position when he goes from idling to moving again. That would never pass QA for a boss animation. If anything, Boss Ridley would have a much longer decelerating animation to transition between moving and idling, like boss ridley from SSBB.

Note the very fluid animation transitions in the boss fight versus the shadow. Shadow is jerky as all hell, especially right at the end where it looks like it spazzes out left and right. Boss Ridley's animations don't skip a single frame, whereas shadow skips a ton. Also, what kind of boss just floats in the stage, sits still, and then merrily flaps away without any sort of attack? They would have had to create a special string of animations that they will never use again JUST for the 10 second clip of shadow right after they showed Yellow Devil exactly the way he functions in the game. They haven't created a special in-game animation sequence for ANYTHING. All in-game vids have been rehearsed an recorded manually.

(for tail warping action, see 7:26 in the direct vid. It's so blatant I might cry)
Suddenly you make me think he's in. Nice observing!

I don't care if he's in, either way. I love me Metroid, but two Samus' is satisfying to me.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984

Anyway.

Great post I agree completely.

ib4 "Ridley boss not finished yet" nonsense.

D

Deleted member

Whatever what Ridley's fate will be, what is sure is that Sakurai's teasing will have left scars on Ridley supporters.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I go to sleep, 2 pages are added to this thread, goddamn we work fast!
Btw, why are people using the Gematsu Leak as proof Ridley isn't in? It could be false and he had a lot of luck in E3(not buying Pokemon from X and Y) or it could be true and there would be more than those Newcomers(he never mentioned Rosalina)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
If RIdley gets confirmed, my favorite thing won't even be Ridley being playable. It will be Shokio struggling to remove any evidence that he ever doubted Ridley for a second so he can look good.
O remind you about that shokio said he trolled us he knew the whole time ridley could be resized on his review about the direct

PlasticBag

Smash Apprentice

This whole parade of "Ridley for Smash" has been going on since Melee. People will gloat about it, and the Ridley Supports will just cling to hope for Smash 5.

It's going to be an ongoing never ending cycle.

Far as I'm concerned, Miiverse will have a field day with this.

Last edited:

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Hey guys, I'm messing around and editing Other M Ridley's model to look improved. Aside from fixing his flat ass head, any reccommendations?

Chase

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I'm messing around and editing Other M Ridley's model to look improved. Aside from fixing his flat *** head, any reccommendations?
Make his skin a little less royal purple and bit more like the Super Metroid sprite coloring. That color looks good on any incarnation of Ridley and it is the color I associate with him. Also make his wings a bit more tough-looking, they looked flimsy to me in Other M, like they wouldn't be able to support Ridley's weight.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think I've found my wife.
Is this the made up rule of "Pokemon can't have 6 characters even though it had 6 in Brawl" accompanied by the "Pokemon can't have more characters than Mario does even though it did in Brawl" rule and the insanely misinterpreted "If they're in the original 12 they are automatically safe forever no matter what" mindset? Well that's nifty.

But this is a thread about Ridley and none of that really has any bearing here.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Just make his 'beak' bend down, change his tail spike, and make him overall darker, and Other M Ridley will look pretty badass. I hate how light Purple he was. D:

Top Bottom