• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I didn't notice this thread at first, i apologize for the other thread.

Anyway.

Ridley is in due to his animations in the direct.

Player controlled entities almost always have jerky-ish movement to cope with user input. Animations aren't super fluid.

Non-player entities however have the freedom to have completely fluid animations due to the developers having complete control over when and where it animates.

Ridley's shadow had jerky movements like any other smash character does. Namely, when the shadow flies in, stops for a moment, and then continues off screen. There is a very clear distinction between the "standing" animation and the "moving" animation. An NPC boss would NEVER behave that way. You can see a better indication of this by watching his tail closely. It almost WARPS into a different position when he goes from idling to moving again. That would never pass QA for a boss animation. If anything, Boss Ridley would have a much longer decelerating animation to transition between moving and idling, like boss ridley from SSBB.

Heres the shadow for your easy viewing: http://youtu.be/7xUWnQu2Grs?t=7m19s

And heres Ridley's boss fight in SSBB: http://youtu.be/iJP8TtY3eig?t=48s

Note the very fluid animation transitions in the boss fight versus the shadow. Shadow is jerky as all hell, especially right at the end where it looks like it spazzes out left and right. Boss Ridley's animations don't skip a single frame, whereas shadow skips a ton. Also, what kind of boss just floats in the stage, sits still, and then merrily flaps away without any sort of attack? They would have had to create a special string of animations that they will never use again JUST for the 10 second clip of shadow right after they showed Yellow Devil exactly the way he functions in the game. They haven't created a special in-game animation sequence for ANYTHING. All in-game vids have been rehearsed an recorded manually.

(for tail warping action, see 7:26 in the direct vid. It's so blatant I might cry)
That's 2 in a row I thought I was the only one that caught this as well

I noticed a really big jerk on his tail when he started to move again

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Of course he did, giving how Shokio is a big Metroid fan, he actually loves Ridley.

He just hates how shrinking Ridley would make him look stupid.

Edit: space error, oops :^)
Oh, I thought he didn't want Ridley because he thought Ridley couldn't be resized.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I have a question!

Did Sakurai reveal Ridley as a Boss on Brawls Dojo? And if so can someone link me to it?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Just make his 'beak' bend down, change his tail spike, and make him overall darker, and Other M Ridley will look pretty badass. I hate how light Purple he was. D:
You`ve asked for it:
Tail spike is still unchanged because its kinda impossible without screwing up the model.

@ Angelglory Angelglory , make his beak bent downward, replace spike with his classic edged spike, remove all of those spikes on his limbs and head, make his eyes orange and just make him anorexic. That is all we need for a perfect Roidley.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
He does look cooler now, that's for sure. ^^ Still kinda silly since it IS the Other M one, but better. Kudos~
At least they made Nightmare, Mother Brain and Queen Metroid more menacing than before without making them silly in some way (well, maybe Nightmare`s real face and Queenie`s hoses on the back that leak if she hits the wall is)...right?
Remove the spikes and lengthen his legs.
Seriously, those legs are Bowser--proportioned...
Actually, they aren`t THAT short and bulky, they just posed in such way:

See? They are as long as his body is if posed like that. Also, this effect is created by his long arms and giant wings. But they still need to be thinner and longer.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
At least they made Nightmare, Mother Brain and Queen Metroid more menacing than before without making them silly in some way (well, maybe Nightmare`s real face and Queenie`s hoses on the back that leak if she hits the wall is)...right?

Actually, they aren`t THAT short and bulky, they just posed in such way:

See? They are as long as his body is if posed like that. Also, this effect is created by his long arms and giant wings. But they still need to be thinner and longer.
Okay, maybe I exaggerated, but look at this:

The legs are like twice the length of his body.

Also, those spikes really look unnecessary. I can't imagine that they make Ridley more aerodynamic...

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Okay, maybe I exaggerated, but look at this:

The legs are like twice the length of his body.

Also, those spikes really look unnecessary. I can't imagine that they make Ridley more aerodynamic...
I looked at his original model with one of his legs jerked up at 180 degree and it IS 2x longer...nearly...but anyway they are bulky to make it easier to carry objects using them while spikes just make him more intimidating/menacing, reducing amount of creatures that will dare to threaten him. I think so...maybe its just because of the same thing that gave Dilophosaurus from Jurassic Park his frill and venom (genetic code being incomplete and messed up). And Ridley doesn`t really neads long legs on the ground...but it looks a lot better, i agree. Still, i think Roidley can make more bada$$ poses because of his proportions (longer legs would help him, but not at the 2x bigger than body ratio).

Last edited:

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Ridley would never be able to fly with wings that size. Most large birds have wing spans at least three times bigger than their own bodies. (I'm talking about Brawl Ridley here.)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ridley would never be able to fly with wings that size. Most large birds have wing spans at least three times bigger than their own bodies. (I'm talking about Brawl Ridley here.)
Yes, of course he wouldn`t. But he is from Metroid franchise, which basicly says: "Laws of Physics, be d*mned!" or something like that. Even worse since its a NINTENDO`s franchise. At least that what makes Roidley better - he is more realistic, but they still messed some thing up like making him skinny, but bulky instead of making him anorexic, which would make it easier for him to fly since he would weigh less and just be more aerodynamic as far as i know.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

As you can tell, that's never been an issue for Ridley. He's just too badass to give a **** about physics. :shades:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Maybe he's like the titans from Attack on Titan; in which despite his huge appearance, he's actually relatively lightweight.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
We only found out about Boss!Ridley when Brawl came out in Japan and pictures started popping up.
If this is true then he never hyped him or teased anything which means that it's not normal his situation now. This really makes me wonder if it was because his role would change. But, again, this is just speculation so you can't tell for sure but it does leave some doubts.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I find it kind of awkward how idolized the EXACT Super Metroid design is. Screw weird Classic Ridley, Meta Ridley, Meta Ridley II, Omega Ridley, Green Ridley, Other Ridley, and Crapley-X when we could make every Ridley look like he is on his death bed, I guess?

And really, I always assumed Roidley looked messed up on purpose (Note: I don't mean issues with how his model or textures look in-game as opposed to official art, I mean biologically how messed up he looks) since he was supposed to be some accidental cloning of the original Ridley that I can only imagine those clowns messed up somehow. But that's probably just me.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I didn't notice this thread at first, i apologize for the other thread.

Anyway.

Ridley is in due to his animations in the direct.

Player controlled entities almost always have jerky-ish movement to cope with user input. Animations aren't super fluid.

Non-player entities however have the freedom to have completely fluid animations due to the developers having complete control over when and where it animates.

Ridley's shadow had jerky movements like any other smash character does. Namely, when the shadow flies in, stops for a moment, and then continues off screen. There is a very clear distinction between the "standing" animation and the "moving" animation. An NPC boss would NEVER behave that way. You can see a better indication of this by watching his tail closely. It almost WARPS into a different position when he goes from idling to moving again. That would never pass QA for a boss animation. If anything, Boss Ridley would have a much longer decelerating animation to transition between moving and idling, like boss ridley from SSBB.

Heres the shadow for your easy viewing: http://youtu.be/7xUWnQu2Grs?t=7m19s

And heres Ridley's boss fight in SSBB: http://youtu.be/iJP8TtY3eig?t=48s

Note the very fluid animation transitions in the boss fight versus the shadow. Shadow is jerky as all hell, especially right at the end where it looks like it spazzes out left and right. Boss Ridley's animations don't skip a single frame, whereas shadow skips a ton. Also, what kind of boss just floats in the stage, sits still, and then merrily flaps away without any sort of attack? They would have had to create a special string of animations that they will never use again JUST for the 10 second clip of shadow right after they showed Yellow Devil exactly the way he functions in the game. They haven't created a special in-game animation sequence for ANYTHING. All in-game vids have been rehearsed an recorded manually.

(for tail warping action, see 7:26 in the direct vid. It's so blatant I might cry)
This is a very cool find.

Not enough to confirm he's playable but definitely enough to make those who are adamant about him being a boss re-think their ways.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I find it kind of awkward how idolized the EXACT Super Metroid design is. Screw weird Classic Ridley, Meta Ridley, Meta Ridley II, Omega Ridley, Green Ridley, Other Ridley, and Crapley-X when we could make every Ridley look like he is on his death bed, I guess?

And really, I always assumed Roidley looked messed up on purpose (Note: I don't mean issues with how his model or textures look in-game as opposed to official art, I mean biologically how messed up he looks) since he was supposed to be some accidental cloning of the original Ridley that I can only imagine those clowns messed up somehow. But that's probably just me.
Well, it does look cool. And unlike Samus's Power Suit redesigns, Ridley is kinda biological, so it makes little sense for him to drastically change appearance game to game.

My personal favorites are Zero Mission Ridley, Meta Ridley, and Brawl Ridley, though.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros
That is true. Mother Brain looked Epic in the opening (so wanted to battle her), Nightmare was as creepy as he should be, and Queen Metroid looked cool. Though, not Final Boss cool. :/
Ugh. I don't Think I've ever felt I want a new game for a franchise as much as I want a new Metroid right now. :( I miss it. Prime style, Super Metroid style, both would be wonderful.

@ C CrossoverMan
Yeah, as you should know, Ridley has never needed massive wings to fly. Though, do note that this was mainly because giant wings in the older/smaller games would take up too much of the screen. But that doesn't change the fact that he often has puny wings. And that's one of the things I love about Ridley.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Mugshots​

Bulked up head, curved beak, added that thing on the sides of the mouth, added a little spike on his chin like Brawl Ridley (will most likely nix it later though.)

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

:) well the SM design of him was the first one I saw...so I like it...

I like all the designs of Ridley.... SM, ZM, MP1, MP3 and Brawl...just keep Roidley and his pokemon evolution away and I'm fine...

I wonder if Ridley...or Roidley...is going to walk in two legs....if he is in the game...

Metroid_Prime_3_Trilogy_Version_Walk-Through_Part_.gif

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'd assume he probably does. Ridley can do two legs, four legs, and no legs as he pleases.

Though I still cannot fathom how someone can hate Other Ridley on literally every level and then like that garbage Fusion unthawed, but whatever.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I'd assume he probably does. Ridley can do two legs, four legs, and no legs as he pleases.

Though I still cannot fathom how someone can hate Other Ridley on literally every level and then like that garbage Fusion unthawed, but whatever.
It's simple, actually. Other M has become one of those games that 'you have to hate', really. Everything about it has to be hated. It was so horrible in so many people's opinions, that Everything about it is, and that will spread to others, who will, like humans do, 'follow the leader', and thus, Other M Ridley is severely hated.

Now, I didn't hate Other M, and I don't hate Ridley's form in it. But I do Think it is a pretty bad version of him. I am, however, ok with the Fusion version of him, since he is pretty much a virus monster there, so it's ok for him to look overly monstery~

Morbi

Scavenger
It's simple, actually. Other M has become one of those games that 'you have to hate', really. Everything about it has to be hated. It was so horrible in so many people's opinions, that Everything about it is, and that will spread to others, who will, like humans do, 'follow the leader', and thus, Other M Ridley is severely hated.

Now, I didn't hate Other M, and I don't hate Ridley's form in it. But I do Think it is a pretty bad version of him. I am, however, ok with the Fusion version of him, since he is pretty much a virus monster there, so it's ok for him to look overly monstery~
Unless you are a hipster that hates to conform.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Yeah that is what I see happening too.

Even more morbid I can see this happening when Smash 4 3DS is released:
"Ridley is being saved for as Day 1 DLC for the Wii U version is released. Yep. Sakurai is trolling us."

Newsflash: Sakurai is not trolling Ridley fans. He really is a too bigot.
Are you Sarcastic or?

Really?

majora_787

Smash Hero
But it gets to the point where people reject obvious reasons for Other M RIdley to look different from the original and then embrace the festering Yu-Gi-Oh monster reject and I just. Bleh. He doesn't even look more monsterey, he just looks blue and sounds terrible and annoying.

Though I guess the power of the Other M Hate Meme is too great. :Y Well, whatever works.

Morbi

Scavenger
Are you Sarcastic or?

Really?
Honestly; the predominant reason I didn't support Ridley prior to the Direct was based on the notion that I didn't believe he would work (well) on the 3DS. So I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai made Ridley an exclusive to Wii U. It seems plausible/logical to me personally, the only issue is that he already confirmed that the rosters would be the same. So I suppose I am all in for playable Ridley, no turning back now!

AndreaAC

:/ i guess it is because...well, Ridley-X appeared way before Roidley....and mostly everyone believed that it was the corpse of the Original one that got infected (it is his SM sprite) and some of the features like the tail and beak resemble more to the Original...even if it got a little bit....uglyfied?...by the X....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Roidley is a clone. Why all of his haters think Roidley is Ridley, they are just as the same person as SA-X is Samus
a. I'm not a hater.
b. The clone is essentially Ridley reborn, considering the clone retained the memories of the original. It would be like saying Uprising Medusa is not the same person as the NES Medusa because she's not the original.
c. SA-X is an X-Parasite that took Samus' form. It isn't comparable to a legitimate clone/rebirth. The only "Ridley" that isn't really Ridley (other than the Ridley Robot, obviously) is Neo Ridley for the same reason as SA-X.

Regardless of if they decided to make a Smash original "Giga Ridley," they still have the option of Other M Ridley, a cloned version of Ridley who isn't the original.
Sure comparing him to Giga Bowser like that is faulty, but it's still the idea that there was both a playable Bowser and a boss version of Bowser that is valid.
See point above about the clone.
Aside from that, it isn't a valid comparison regardless due to the circumstances. It's better to not use the comparison and instead go with the Aku example.

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I like every Ridley in their own way. But the first Ridley I saw and met, was the Super Metroid one. He's the original for me. Ah, I remember being so Young, playing Super Metroid. It took forever to get to the final Boss, and I didn't dare enter the Final Room where Mother Brain was, cuz' she and her Music scared me so much.
I also remember that area near the end where, you jump down, and lava rises super fast. I HATED that room, so scary. D:

AndreaAC

A true Ridley fan loves; or at the very least, enjoys each and every incarnation of Ridley!
Um...you mean the Original Ridley and his other appearances, right?......because....you know that I do not consider Roidley and his evolution related to the Original.....

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
But it gets to the point where people reject obvious reasons for Other M RIdley to look different from the original and then embrace the festering Yu-Gi-Oh monster reject and I just. Bleh. He doesn't even look more monsterey, he just looks blue and sounds terrible and annoying.

Neo-Ridley looks sick and dying, his back is bent unnaturally, his neck looks like it's snapped under the weight of his massive head. His screams sound like he's in pain, and his body is locked in place in what is frankly the least comfortable looking pose imaginable...

Given he's supposed to be a virus controlled and mutated re-animated corpse... it's kinda fitting, and I personally find it to be a great design for what it is... he'd be terrible as a fully functioning, intelligent but monstrous space pirate leader, but given Ridley-X is meant to be a deformed faximely of his former life I actually really like the design...

Roidley isn't terrible, but it doesn't have justification or a creepy back-story... it's a clone that's buff, randomly pupates and is hard to take seriously as a villain...

Neo-Ridley is scary because it's unnerving and diseased
Ridley is scary because he looks vicious, cunning and frankly demonic
Meta-Ridley is scary because he looks vengeful and dangerous
Roidley is scary because he's big, spikey and kinda angry

For me these all tap into some primal fear, but the last one is far more surface level, and more like a generic video-game boss... a pretty good generic boss, but nothing more.

Still Roidley would be the best design for Smash Bros. in my opinion, so I'll except Generi-dley if it gets him in the game.

(I didn't notice that Generidley is a double pun on Gene-Ridley too untill I wrote it, but given he's a clone I might just keep it up...)

Last edited:

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo doesn't really have a chance of returning anymore because we already got 4 Pokémon and we will probably only have 5, last being Jigglypuff because she is from the original 12, everything else, I agree, (except maybe Ike being cut)
:4charizard::ivysaur::squirtle:-:ivysaur::squirtle:+:4greninja::mewtwopm:=:4charizard::4greninja::mewtwopm:. Mewtwo still has a large chance. And lets go back to discussing Ridley and not pokemon, unless its Ridley Related.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Though I guess the power of the Other M Hate Meme is too great. :Y Well, whatever works.
You know, I haven't really seen many people "embrace" for Ridley-X. Not much hatred either. He's just sorta...there.

I think its the whole cloning idea that turns people off. It implies that its creating an identical copy of someone, with only one or two minor changes, like gender or lifespan.

I'm just gonna assume that Roidley is the penultimate metamorphosis to Super/Zero Mission Ridley, and that a beautiful butterfly is underneath those muscles.

AndreaAC

I'm just gonna assume that Roidley is the penultimate metamorphosis to Super/Zero Mission Ridley, and that a beautiful butterfly is underneath those muscles.

I should draw Roidley with butterfly wings.......

Morbi

Scavenger
:4charizard::ivysaur::squirtle:-:ivysaur::squirtle:+:4greninja::mewtwopm:=:4charizard::4greninja::mewtwopm:. Mewtwo still has a large chance. And lets go back to discussing Ridley and not pokemon, unless its Ridley Related.
I just thought that this post was really funny as that user hasn't posted in hours.

Also; to tie in Pokemon with Ridley, I honestly wouldn't mind if Ridley was just a costume for Charizard. Not playable, not a stage-hazard, not a boss, not an assist trophy, not a cameo... just a costume. Charidley?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Wait, didn`t trailer kinda confirmed that Ridley looked exactly like Roidley in Other M, just grey...ish instead of puple? I mean they created a really complex model of Mother Brain for ~15 seconds, so, why not Ridley?
And its not muscles, its his bones being wide/thick because his ribs is still clearly visible. And i don`t hate him. At all. Maybe his beak is bad, everything else is good enough for me.
I just thought that this post was really funny as that user hasn't posted in hours.

Also; to tie in Pokemon with Ridley, I honestly wouldn't mind if Ridley was just a costume for Charizard. Not playable, not a stage-hazard, not a boss, not an assist trophy, not a cameo... just a costume. Charidley?
Kinda...unless Charizard is bad or isn`t fun to play as. Anyway, separate Ridley will always be better.
Mugshots​

Bulked up head, curved beak, added that thing on the sides of the mouth, added a little spike on his chin like Brawl Ridley (will most likely nix it later though.)
Now i kinda regret about starting to work on him for MUGEN so early using my version of his model...why you didn`t tried to do this before?! Looks a lot better tham my version.

Top Bottom