• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Once upon a time, in the land of FanFiction, this happened...

Ridley X Samus is cute and all.....but after a while....

and this, Ladies and Gentlemen, is how the "Ridley is too Big" meme started.:chuckle:

Ridley is too Big?....THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID:troll:
22A571_0D7272753F1C4_000.gif

"GOD DAMN IT!!! THOSE MEMORIES HURT! MAKE IT STOP!"

Poor Rids....

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I have been doing speculating since 2001. I bet VERY VERY VERY strongly that we are getting Stage Hazardley.

Our efforts would be best spent trying to influence a game we could actually have an impact on (Project M) as opposed to having endless debates about something that would be clear to most people about the character's role actually is.

But I digress. Most of these people have not been around for the pre-Melee days or even pre-Brawl days, so they don't understand how history is once again unfolding in nearly the same way.

I understand the pain of you guys not wanting to have to wait another six years for the possibility of Ridley being playable, however, keep in mind that once Ridley is shut out this time, he is going to have more detractors than ever, especially considering Sakurai may specifically address why Ridley was not playable this time around due to the fact he was among the single most wanted newcomers. If Sakurai says something like "Ridley just wouldn't work" most Smash Bros. fans (like thoughtless lemmings) are going to take what he has to say as gospel.

That is why it is imperative to get a team of talented individuals (the Project M team) to develop Ridley as one of their newcomers. It is to show that a quality playable Ridley could work, and that Sakurai is not infallible.

Again, during pre-Brawl I was lambasted for a number of things only to be vindicated in the end.
What were these things?

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Gonna have to agree with @ ChronoBound ChronoBound

I kept saying like some others that ridley wouldn't a hazard, sakurai was trolling or something along those lines, now its most likely that he is indeed a stage boss.

Just here to say, you were right.

Good luck with your PM endeavors.

/Flies away to escape the ridley madness

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I've done faaaar more lurking than posting, but I'd take you up on that.

Ridley in SSB4 as a playable character, my account rests on it.
He won't do it cause he knows Ridley still has a chance. He knows its a risk.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Not to derail the topic, but why in hell would we cut Ike and leave Lucas? @ ChronoBound ChronoBound

Chrom can have his own move set and remain different from the 2 other FE reps while Lucas is always going to be clone bait

Back on topic, Ridley for SSB4/Project M is a win win to me

Last edited:

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
I wonder why it seems so very important for Ridley detractors to crush the dreams of those of us who still maintain hope. Oh well :p trying to remain realistic and whatnot, but I still find it hard to believe that Sakurai's decision-making process is so flawed as to pass up the chance to make Ridley - arguably the most fan-requested and important Nintendo character to not yet be playable in any Smash game - finally a playable character. This stage hazard/boss nonsense, if it turns out to be confirmed, will feel like a really bitter slap in the face. I mean yeah, he'll be in the game, and in theory we should be happy about just getting that but quite honestly, Ridley deserves more. If Fire Emblem (a series, in my own personal opinion, which is far less important than Metroid) has already had 3 (and most likely a new 4th) representatives to its name in Smash, Ridley should make an appearance now before the window closes for good. As others have said, Project M is an excellent backup plan for a playable Ridley and the people in charge of it have done incredible work. But it just isn't the same. Ridley - and in a sense, the Metroid franchise as a whole - could use the vindication brought by a second playable rep of Ridley's stature (and I don't mean physical stature... yuk yuk).

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I wonder why it seems so very important for Ridley detractors to crush the dreams of those of us who still maintain hope. Oh well :p trying to remain realistic and whatnot, but I still find it hard to believe that Sakurai's decision-making process is so flawed as to pass up the chance to make Ridley - arguably the most fan-requested and important Nintendo character to not yet be playable in any Smash game - finally a playable character. This stage hazard/boss nonsense, if it turns out to be confirmed, will feel like a really bitter slap in the face. I mean yeah, he'll be in the game, and in theory we should be happy about just getting that but quite honestly, Ridley deserves more. If Fire Emblem (a series, in my own personal opinion, which is far less important than Metroid) has already had 3 representatives to its name in Smash, Ridley should make an appearance now before the window closes for good. As others have said, Project M is an excellent backup plan for a playable Ridley and the people in charge of it have done incredible work. But it just isn't the same. Ridley - and in a sense, the Metroid franchise as a whole - could use the vindication brought by a second playable rep of Ridley's stature (and I don't mean physical stature... yuk yuk).
Yeah I'm not a fan of the "Your setting yourself up for disappointment he isn't gonna be in the game" crowd. We're all adults here we can handle it if it comes to that.

I personally think Sakurai wants people to think Ridley has no shot that way when he is revealed everyone's minds will be blown. Ehhh....Were all just repeating ourselfs at this point though. Hurry up E3....

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Sakurai has shown that he isn't pulling punches with character deconfirmations, especially when you put the poisonous jab he threw at Waluigi fans into account. So Ridley's fate still being in the air even after he "appeared" sticks out like a sore thumb.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
There is a limit to the amount of newcomers that can include with the Clone Engine.

The Clone Engine allows up to seven newcomers to Brawl. Already Mewtwo and Roy have been added in.

Mewtwo himself is not a clone, so that dispels the notion that Clone Engine characters have to be "clones" of existing characters on the roster. However, Mewtwo's model likely used Lucario's as a base.

Ridley would obviously be a completely new character. However, his initial base would probably be Charizard or Bowser.

I think though if there is a big enough outcry, the team will include Ridley even if they have decided all the slots (probably will dump whatever character is the furthest from completion though). I also think that Ridley would definitely be their most challenging and daunting addition.
That is worrisome. Not that I think it'll happen, but it'd be great if Project M released multiple versions of the game, each with different newcomers added in. I'm sure far more people would care to play as Ridley and whoever else misses out on SSB4 than f**king Shadow and Lyn, or whoever else was allegedly leaked by a disgruntled insider a while back.

Shaboba

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1760-9183-5135
Ehhh....Were all just repeating ourselfs at this point though. Hurry up E3....
Yeah no kidding, unfortunately I think that's all we can do until we get something more concrete, is just rehash everything we already know and drive ourselves crazy (or crazier, haha)

Zynux

Smash Lord
And, as I try to clam down my blood level as I type this, what better way to hype this mechanic up then the Big Bad himself from Metroid?
Totally meant to say calm, not clam haha. I refuse to fix it even if my life depends on it.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sakurai is completely unaware of Ridley's presence in Dead or Alive, given the severe lack of attention and care given to Metroid in Smash games so far.

If he is aware, and is still copying DoA, then I don't know what to say.
Dead or Alive Dimensions was released in 2011, even before he started development on Smash 4. Not only that, but it was one of the early launch titles for the 3DS (the 15th game to be released I think), was promoted during the 3DS official reveal, and with the whole Pyrosphere/Ridley thing was during the time when Other M infamy was still pretty high. He even developed a game for the handheld, which was obviously Kid Icarus: Uprising.

I find it very hard to believe he had no knowledge of it. I would sooner believe we could create a machine to make anime characters come to life before I would believe he had no knowledge of anything involving Dead or Alive: Dimensions.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Gematsu/SalRomano's leaks. I doubt we are going far beyond 50 slots (I cans see 52 characters being the maximum we get).

Sakurai's wording ever since the original Pyrosphere unveil has also hinted at a Stage Hazard version of Ridley.
Now see here, I'm not denying that Ridley is a stage hazard, that much is obvious. But when I can beat up Bowser with Bowser and take out a whole unit of R.O.B.s with R.O.B. then Ridley grabbing Ridley and grinding him on the wall isn't really all that strange.

In case you missed that, Bowser made his playable Smash debut in Melee, at the same time he also made an appearance as a boss character.

R.O.B. made his playable Smash debut in Brawl, at the same time many of him were enemies in the Subspace Emissary.

And I'm saying that Ridley will make his playable Smash debut in SSB4... at the same time he terrorizes Samus on Pyrosphere.

Now I could be wrong, but that's just what my money is on, nothing more, nothing less.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Now see here, I'm not denying that Ridley is a stage hazard, that much is obvious. But when I can beat up Bowser with Bowser and take out a whole unit of R.O.B.s with R.O.B. then Ridley grabbing Ridley and grinding him on the wall isn't really all that strange.

In case you missed that, Bowser made his playable Smash debut in Melee, at the same time he also made an appearance as a boss character.

R.O.B. made his playable Smash debut in Brawl, at the same time many of him were enemies in the Subspace Emissary.

And I'm saying that Ridley will make his playable Smash debut in SSB4... at the same time he terrorizes Samus on Pyrosphere.

Now I could be wrong, but that's just what my money is on, nothing more, nothing less.
I agree he will be playable but I'm in the Ridley we seen in the direct was the playable Ridley boat. Super zoomed in and at an angle.

You can even see his freakin jump animation right at the end. (Slowed down gif)

http://smashboards.com/attachments/roidley_takeoff_shorted-gif.12399/

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Man, this thread is in a sucky time isn't it. We can't really do much with the shadow anymore since we've analyzed it to death, arguing about Sakurai's ethics just goes in circles, speculating movesets barely works since most are too busy worrying if Ridley's deconfirmed or not, and the fan art is being done by only two-three people and as such can only carry things for so long.

Ultimately we're all stuck here at a stalemate until E3 at the earliest.

At least with K. Rool, Palutena, and other likely characters there's optimism and general consistency without any major conflict with official status. It's almost as if Ridley fans are cursed or something...

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I agree he will be playable but I'm in the Ridley we seen in the direct was the playable Ridley boat. Super zoomed in and at an angle.

You can even see his freakin jump animation right at the end. (Slowed down gif)

http://smashboards.com/attachments/roidley_takeoff_shorted-gif.12399/
That is certainly stage hazard Ridley.

Remember, Giga Bowser was just a bigger Bowser with a slightly different design, he still had the same moves and animations, but was simply a boss, R.O.B. sentries were also the same way. Seeing as how stage hazards can actually be killed now, the Ridley hazard would be the same thing as Giga Bowser.

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
At least with K. Rool, Palutena, and other likely characters there's optimism and general consistency without any major conflict with official status. It's almost as if Ridley fans are cursed or something...
We must be cursed... cursed by the power of the Chozo ghosts! :lol: But I am sure when we find out ridley's status in smash completely, we will feel better and less bored.

D

Deleted member

So wait, now we're comparing Giga Bowser, a Smash-original monstrous copy of Bowser to the Ridley situation?
I think we've reached a point where it's gone too far.

EDIT: Only way Giga Bowser can be relevant to this is in the context of Pyrosphere Ridley being a "Giga Ridley" copy of plain ol' playable Ridley.

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
So wait, now we're comparing Giga Bowser, a Smash-original monstrous copy of Bowser to the Ridley situation?
I think we've reached a point where it's gone too far.
If Bowser can be both playable and a boss in the same game, why exactly can't Ridley do the same? Albeit in stage hazard form, though still under the "boss" label.

D

Deleted member

If Bowser can be both playable and a boss in the same game, why exactly can't Ridley do the same? Albeit in stage hazard form, though still under the "boss" label.
Because outside of Brawl, where Giga Bowser is Bowser's Final Smash, Giga Bowser is a separate entity formed from powering up the copy Bowser trophy. A Smash-original entity. Hence the Smash Bros. symbol instead of the Mushroom.

Unless Ridley goes through the same deal and has a "Giga Ridley" version of himself as a separate individual, it isn't the same situation.
The situation you're giving would be the same as Aku's in Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion XL, where he's a boss and a playable fighter as a smaller size. It's the same individual.

D

Deleted member

I'm going to laugh so much at everyone who tought Ridley wouldn't be playable when E3 comes, just like when everyone tought T.Link was cut

Because outside of Brawl, where Giga Bowser is Bowser's Final Smash, Giga Bowser is a separate entity formed from powering up the copy Bowser trophy. A Smash-original entity. Hence the Smash Bros. symbol instead of the Mushroom.

Unless Ridley goes through the same deal and has a "Giga Ridley" version of himself as a separate individual, it isn't the same situation.
The situation you're giving would be the same as Aku's in Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion XL, where he's a boss and a playable fighter as a smaller size. It's the same individual.
Roidley is a clone. Why all of his haters think Roidley is Ridley, they are just as the same person as SA-X is Samus

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

Regardless of if they decided to make a Smash original "Giga Ridley," they still have the option of Other M Ridley, a cloned version of Ridley who isn't the original.
Sure comparing him to Giga Bowser like that is faulty, but it's still the idea that there was both a playable Bowser and a boss version of Bowser that is valid.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am very curious what is going to happen when Ridley is shown off as a stage hazard? Will people here STILL believe that he is going to be playable?

"Nah Sakurai is trolling us."

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
If we can get two Links (well three if you count the Conductor one), two Zeldas and two Samus why the hell we cant get two Ridleys in the game. If Sakurai is trolling for trolling and nothing to back up his statement as making the best game with highly request characters like Dixie Kong, King K. Rool and a f...ing Wars character I will lose the respect for the man, one thing is to troll the fans and other one is f... them and paint a f... you signal and play with their hopes, to crush them for more than 7 months that is derespect.

.n_n.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I am very curious what is going to happen when Ridley is shown off as a stage hazard? Will people here STILL believe that he is going to be playable?

More than likely, yes. Although at that point the common belief will be that regular Ridley is playable while Other M Ridley is a hazard.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
More than likely, yes. Although at that point the common belief will be that regular Ridley is playable while Other M Ridley is a hazard.
Yeah that is what I see happening too.

Even more morbid I can see this happening when Smash 4 3DS is released:
"Ridley is being saved for as Day 1 DLC for the Wii U version is released. Yep. Sakurai is trolling us."

Newsflash: Sakurai is not trolling Ridley fans. He really is a too bigot.

D

Deleted member

If we can get two Links (well three if you count the Conductor one), two Zeldas and two Samus why the hell we cant get two Ridleys in the game. If Sakurai is trolling for trolling and nothing to back up his statement as making the best game with highly request characters like Dixie Kong, King K. Rool and a f...ing Wars character I will lose the respect for the man, one thing is to troll the fans and other one is f... them and paint a f... you signal and play with their hopes, to crush them for more than 7 months that is derespect.

.n_n.
TOON LINK AND THE CONDUCTOR LINK ARE THE SAME PERSON RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE.
But you make a good point, logic never has really applied in Smash, and there is more than 1 Ridley. I'm going to continue to remain skeptical until he is actually revealed though.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

Nah, if Sakurai outright states that Ridley is a stage hazard, we'll just admit defeat...

... and then, as soon as Sakurai turns around, W͇̬̣̟͌ͤ̇̈ͧͫͣE̘͎͍̜ͅ ̰̹̔R̠̬͖̥̩̰̲̐ͮ͐̋ͧ̉ỈͩP̾̓ͧ͗̚͞ ̵̬̇̀̾̌͊H̩̟͇̝̩Į͋̍̒S̝͍̗̜̥͉͟ ̶͚͍͗̆ͯ̅̇ͥSͮͯ͒͆͌̃̋͡P͇̣̪̝̟͒ͣͣĪ̴͖͉̻̞̻̱̽̐͌̎̄̐ͅN̵̤̝͊Å̷ͯL̸̖̱̖͉̳ ͙̣͉̓̋ͮ̚ͅC̫̯̫ͪ̈́́̇̂ͤO̜̥͈̟̹͓̬̕R̵͍̹̂̀ͮ̊̔͊̂D̨͍̘͙̩̗̈̽ͤͥ̇̊ ̥ͭ͛̍ͦͩ̀͢O͚̞͕͌F̼͎̍ͣ̉͌̚͝F̨̿̈́̓!̼̘̮̟̘̘̯͛͑̂ͩ!̢̳̇̊̃̀̿̿̍!̠̙̼̯͓͈̄͐ͤͣ͝

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nah, if Sakurai outright states that Ridley is a stage hazard, we'll just admit defeat...

... and then, as soon as Sakurai turns around, W͇̬̣̟͌ͤ̇̈ͧͫͣE̘͎͍̜ͅ ̰̹̔R̠̬͖̥̩̰̲̐ͮ͐̋ͧ̉ỈͩP̾̓ͧ͗̚͞ ̵̬̇̀̾̌͊H̩̟͇̝̩Į͋̍̒S̝͍̗̜̥͉͟ ̶͚͍͗̆ͯ̅̇ͥSͮͯ͒͆͌̃̋͡P͇̣̪̝̟͒ͣͣĪ̴͖͉̻̞̻̱̽̐͌̎̄̐ͅN̵̤̝͊Å̷ͯL̸̖̱̖͉̳ ͙̣͉̓̋ͮ̚ͅC̫̯̫ͪ̈́́̇̂ͤO̜̥͈̟̹͓̬̕R̵͍̹̂̀ͮ̊̔͊̂D̨͍̘͙̩̗̈̽ͤͥ̇̊ ̥ͭ͛̍ͦͩ̀͢O͚̞͕͌F̼͎̍ͣ̉͌̚͝F̨̿̈́̓!̼̘̮̟̘̘̯͛͑̂ͩ!̢̳̇̊̃̀̿̿̍!̠̙̼̯͓͈̄͐ͤͣ͝
Out my friend. You can't rip something in someone's body off, you rip it out.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
TOON LINK AND THE CONDUCTOR LINK ARE THE SAME PERSON RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE.
But you make a good point, logic never has really applied in Smash, and there is more than 1 Ridley. I'm going to continue to remain skeptical until he is actually revealed though.
Isn´t Toon Link and the Conductor Link different incarnations of the character in separate eras, making both of them completely unique characters?

.n_n.

D

Deleted member

Isn´t Toon Link and the Conductor Link different incarnations of the character in separate eras, making both of them completely unique characters?

.n_n.
You're forgetting that Alfonzo takes the head of the Spirit Train if Toon Link is being played on the stage, implying that they are indeed the same person (in Smash 4 anyway).

Top Bottom