• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I expect that he's just hyping up his appearance as a hazardous stage boss. I don't know why he'd do such a thing because there really isn't anything special about that; he had a similar role in Brawl and DoA. It could be because he's a popular character, but that popularity is behind him being playable; does Sakurai not understand this?
He dedicated quite a few Pic of the Days and a good few minutes of the Direct to the Yellow Devil. It's not too much of a stretch to think that he sees the title of "stage boss" or whatever as fairly prestigious.
"He just couldn't work as a fighter. This is good enough for all his fans though, right? You get to fight him every time you're on Pyrosphere! *laughs*"
I agree with you that it isn't special at all. As would probably many others, but, not to sound so pessimistic, that doesn't really matter in the end.

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
Did anybody get that tingle in the back of their throat when Ridley's shadow graced the Pyrosphere floor? The kind of feeling you get when horrible news hits you? :o
I was watching the Direct with a friend of mine. While I'm a huge Ridley fan and he knows this, he's rather lukewarm when it comes to Ridley. He thinks he would be kind of cool, but just has no attachment to the character. When they were just showing general stage footage at the beginning, I was chanting, "no Ridley, no Ridley, no Ridley..." When he was shown, I immediately bursted out with something like, "NO! Not Ridley... DAMN!" My friend just kind of shrugged.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think we will see Ridley as playable. No doubt Sakurai is being a troll. The way the "boss" Ridley's shadow moves is too controlled not to be controlled by someone.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Here, Ridley is moving at a comparatively snail-like pace, casually grabs Pikachu, and continues on his merry way as if he was picking the mouse up to go get ice cream together (hmm, AndreaAC, get on that).
xD Alright....i will get to it in a few moments....

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I expect that he's just hyping up his appearance as a hazardous stage boss. I don't know why he'd do such a thing because there really isn't anything special about that; he had a similar role in Brawl and DoA. It could be because he's a popular character, but that popularity is behind him being playable; does Sakurai not understand this?
Which I don't think makes a lick of sense since Japanese gamers really dgaf about Metroid to begin with so seeing Ridley as a stage hazard wouldn't exactly please them.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Well, this Smash seems to be a bit more internationally focused, given the japanese fans also dgaf about Little Mac.

Not to mention the Directs taking place during hours convenient to people in the West.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
@WingedSnagret i did it REALLY quick....i'm kinda tired after a trip i had...so i did it before i take a nap....it looks really sketchy

SCAN0145.JPG

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Did anybody get that tingle in the back of their throat when Ridley's shadow graced the Pyrosphere floor? The kind of feeling you get when horrible news hits you? :o
I was dreading him being shown during the stage montage and figured he was safe after not showing up there...then, when the shadow footage came up, I audibly let out an "Agh..."

You hear that, Nintendo Treehouse members? Facebook arseclowns taunting us about "other monsters"? One of our favorite villains appearing as an out-of-character stage hazard does not please us. In fact, it angers and disappoints us.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I was dreading him being shown during the stage montage and figured he was safe after not showing up there...then, when the shadow footage came up, I audibly let out an "Agh..."

You hear that, Nintendo Treehouse members? Facebook arseclowns taunting us about "other monsters"? One of our favorite villains appearing as an out-of-character stage hazard does not please us. In fact, it angers and disappoints us.
Be careful. Watch they reveal Gangplank Galleon as a stage ... with K. Rool making a special boss appearance!

*shivers*

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Sakurai talked about "Other boss character appearances as stage hazards" that would be like Yellow Devil.

If Ridley isn't the boss hazard for Pyropshere, then who is?

What would be the point of even showing Pyrosphere if there was no boss hazard on it?

Still hoping that Ridley is playable and that something else is the boss hazard. It's not out of the realm of possibility for it to be Meta Ridley or a Ridley clone, but...

Not sure what Meta Ridley has to do with the Pyrosphere from Other M.

-----

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
"Other boss appearance"

Try thinking about that a little more.
It's not like people are ignoring this, it's just a matter of why Sakurai was incredibly vague about it. It's still really likely that Ridley is just a boss character but the way it was done is exceedingly different from how Sakurai usually goes about these things. We have examples going back to 2007 that show that this is out of the ordinary for him.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
The only possible troll I can envision is Sakurai clarifying that the boss in the Pyrosphere is a Ridley CLONE.

It'd be like showing us R.O.B. in subspace emissary but wait, Ancient Minister was THE R.O.B.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I think the problem is that it shouldn't act like that IF it's indeed intended to work as a boss/obstacle. Due to the way it behaves, it doesn't appear to match the usual behavior found on other bosses through the series. Hence why it's likely it isn't AI controlled at all.
Please take a minute and read this to yourself out loud, so I don't have to tell you how silly it sounds. We hardly have a glimpse of how it's acting, and they could've scripted any one of it's actions for that specific shot. All the clips in this direct were carefully planned.

You can't compare other bosses in the series because these bosses are going to work differently, they are going to be fought during normal matches. This calls for different behaviors. If you're looking for an argument to convince yourself the Ridley they showed was not a boss, this isn't the one.

Wait, you could grab Master Hand!?
Just in case you aren't being as sarcastic as I normally am, my response is - no, the master hand grabs you

if you are, though, then my response is - Only in Soviet Russia

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Sakurai talked about "Other boss character appearances as stage hazards" that would be like Yellow Devil.

If Ridley isn't the boss hazard for Pyropshere, then who is?

What would be the point of even showing Pyrosphere if there was no boss hazard on it?

Still hoping that Ridley is playable and that something else is the boss hazard. It's not out of the realm of possibility for it to be Meta Ridley or a Ridley clone, but...

Not sure what Meta Ridley has to do with the Pyrosphere from Other M.

-----
I know some people mentioned that the Final Destination Pyrosphere level got rid of the pouring lava while other Final Destination levels weren't touched. Leads me to believe the the lava will rise up high enough for something to come out of the lava and attack.....I think its obvious that they would use the Vorash assuming Ridley isn't the hazard.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wasn't there another boss in Pyrosphere in Other M?
No. For all we know they could pull a whole Toon Link/Alphonzo thing on the stage and replace Ridley with Phantoon when Ridley's in battle though. Who knows? I will say though if Metroid does get another character and it ends up being Anthony or Adam, I can see Ridley fans swimming across the Pacific to go after Sakurai.

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice
No. For all we know they could pull a whole Toon Link/Alphonzo thing on the stage and replace Ridley with Phantoon when Ridley's in battle though. Who knows? I will say though if Metroid does get another character and it ends up being Anthony or Adam, I can see Ridley fans swimming across the Pacific to go after Sakurai.
I thought there was a sort of monster that you fight like you're fishing.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The Pyrosphere actually refers to a broad area of the Bottle Ship in Metroid: Other M. Basically covers all the "fire" areas.

The room specifically chosen for the stage is the Geothermal Power Plant. Only Ridley is fought in that room.

Other bosses in the Pyrosphere are Goyagma, Vorash (fish thingy) and Rhedogian (bug boss you fought in several other places).

Update with pic links.

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The only possible troll I can envision is Sakurai clarifying that the boss in the Pyrosphere is a Ridley CLONE.

It'd be like showing us R.O.B. in subspace emissary but wait, Ancient Minister was THE R.O.B.
...Hm.

I hadn't thought about how much of a misdirection that was back then...

I guess the difference is not a lot of people were really expecting R.O.B. to begin with, so it could sort of FLY UNDER THE RADAR, but Ridley is a hugely requested character so Sakurai must know what pulling that kind of move would do to our collective balls in his grasp...

I swear to goodness if Sakurai reveals Ridley and says all cute-like, "Hm? How can there be two Ridleys at once on Pyrosphere? Don't worry, that Ridley is actually a clone." I'm gonna.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well, to be fair, most of the Ridley boss fights have been clones: Fusion, Prime, Prime 3, Other M and that doesn't even include the mechanical Ridleys in Zero Mission and Nintendo Land. As the series has noted, Ridley is a monster that refuses to die.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I think many a person mistranslates why we have faith in Ridley, we're not saying he's not going to be a boss, there's clear proof that Other M Ridley is indeed a boss, but what we're saying is that there's more than one Ridley to take the place of a playable character, and since Zero Suit Samus is a Zero Mission style with only the decals of the Other M suit...I don't see why I can't ask for a Super Metroid Ridley with some Other M aesthetics. I mean c'mon, the only character from Metroid that's purely from Other M is Samus. If we're talking practical, the most amount of character representation for Metroid goes to Zero Mission (Mother Brain and Zamus) opposed to Other M (Just Samus)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Will have to wait and see so far it looks like its impossible to conclude ridley is playable nor is deconfirmed

It's either E3 (for a special case) if not shown at that looks like we are waiting till after the 3ds release for are result (by not shown I mean not shown as playable nor as a boss hazard or a health bar boss)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

It never hurt anyone to be optimistic. Until I hear the words "Ridley's a Stage Hazard" I'll continue to support Ridley. This is coming from someone who suffers from heavy Clinical depression people, you should be better at doing this than I am. Hope never hurt anyone, just don't think it's going to be entirely the way you want in case it does indeed not happen.
If Ridley is a stage hazard, it better be the Other M incarnation. At least that way, THE Ridley may still have a playable chance.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Please take a minute and read this to yourself out loud, so I don't have to tell you how silly it sounds. We hardly have a glimpse of how it's acting, and they could've scripted any one of it's actions for that specific shot. All the clips in this direct were carefully planned.

You can't compare other bosses in the series because these bosses are going to work differently, they are going to be fought during normal matches. This calls for different behaviors. If you're looking for an argument to convince yourself the Ridley they showed was not a boss, this isn't the one.
Even though Yellow Devil works the same as other bosses do? And really, moving slowly and unaggressively isn't "bad boss behavior for the Smash series because other smash bosses didn't do it". It's objectively bad boss design. Take literally any boss you have ever fought. Now imagine instead of the actual fight, they walk slowly over to you, dry hump against you lazily / pick you up and hold you in a warm embrace and do nothing else.

Is that boss battle better or worse than it was before? And that's not even accounting for the weird treatment and the fact that Ridley is really small for a boss appearance. That's just looking at behavior that was definitely taking place.

In literally no setting is slow, languid, docile behavior from a strangely small boss ever a good idea. This isn't a "smash thing". And no, this doesn't prove the Ridley in the footage is not a boss; It proves that he is either playable or an awful boss.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Out of curiosity, has anyone else noticed the heat particles coming from beneath the Pyrosphere? The regular version of the stage seems to have visible heat particles coming from under the actual stage, although the final destination version does not. I guess this ties into the whole lava fall thing that was discussed earlier. Also, the clip with Ridley's shadow has heat waves, so...

I apologize if I'm not offering anything new or helpful, I just thought I'd share a detail I noticed.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I feel like it's not very clear how Omega Ridley survives and comes back as his original self in Super Metroid.

I think the popular idea is that the POWER OF PHAZON heals his body after being defeated by Samus, but he does seem to uh, explode. I guess you're just not supposed to think about it to much.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Out of curiosity, has anyone else noticed the heat particles coming from beneath the Pyrosphere? The regular version of the stage seems to have visible heat particles coming from under the actual stage, although the final destination version does not. I guess this ties into the whole lava fall thing that was discussed earlier. Also, the clip with Ridley's shadow has heat waves, so...

I apologize if I'm not offering anything new or helpful, I just thought I'd share a detail I noticed.
After the subject of the lava plume being gone from the FD version, it's pretty apparent that with or without Ridley, this is a lava stage far more likely than not. Though it seems kind of weird that they would have something that invasive WITH a boss, but it's definitely possible.

Top Bottom