• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Please take a minute and read this to yourself out loud, so I don't have to tell you how silly it sounds. We hardly have a glimpse of how it's acting, and they could've scripted any one of it's actions for that specific shot. All the clips in this direct were carefully planned.

You can't compare other bosses in the series because these bosses are going to work differently, they are going to be fought during normal matches. This calls for different behaviors. If you're looking for an argument to convince yourself the Ridley they showed was not a boss, this isn't the one.
Well, fine, it didn't seem to work the way the other bosses worked from what little we could see. Probably there is more to the boss than what we currently know (assuming this is, of course, a boss fight).

So yeah, I can kind of see what you mean, but it's still kind of an odd behavior imo.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Okay, Ridley, or at least OM Ridley, is more then likely a stage boss/hazard.

With that in mind, and assuming he doesn't end up playable in any way, shape, or form, why would Sakurai go through all this hype for what will essentially be disappointment? Some say that he thinks the fans would be happy with such a result, yet Ridley was already a boss in Brawl, and surely Sakurai would have seen the upset fanbase at that time

Surely Sakurai isn't that dense, though he's proved me and many others wrong before...

majora_787

Smash Hero
I honestly think this "Other M Ridley is a stage hazard but we could get X other Ridley" is kind of ridiculous and is the part where we're straying into ridiculous levels of hopefulness here. There are things going on that definitely show Other M Ridley COULD be playable and it was more or less a trick to make us think one thing while another happens later.

It's like Ganondorf being a semi-clone vs Ganondorf having a new unique moveset. One is a bad idea and one is something people would generally prefer. But they're both likely outcomes at this point and it could go either way.

Ridley being an awkwardly poor boss in a bad situation vs Ridley being playable is more or less in the same situation, except Ganondorf obviously isn't being hinted either way.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I know how many Ridley supporters for smash there are. Would it hurt to have another join the fray? Well, here I am!

I know there has been lots of rage regarding the newest nintendo direct but I say do not let it get to you!

I fully believe that if Sakurai's intent was to show off Ridley he WOULDN'T have shown a shadow. It looks like Meta Ridley to me...

Oh and there is also that HE IS TOO BIG stuff. Personally, I think they can resize him to make him manageable.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ridley already seems to be a sufficient size for playability based off his shadow. But hi. Welcome. :p

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Yeah, it does seem like he could be playable with that size. Wait.. are you saying the shadow is Ridley? I am pretty sure I did not see any purple wings.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeah, it does seem like he could be playable with that size. Wait.. are you saying the shadow is Ridley? I am pretty sure I did not see any purple wings.
The shadow is pretty obviously RIdley at this point. The question is mostly if it was the shadow of a boss Ridley despite the other stage hazard, small size, and stange behavior.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Okay, Ridley, or at least OM Ridley, is more then likely a stage boss/hazard.

With that in mind, and assuming he doesn't end up playable in any way, shape, or form, why would Sakurai go through all this hype for what will essentially be disappointment? Some say that he thinks the fans would be happy with such a result, yet Ridley was already a boss in Brawl, and surely Sakurai would have seen the upset fanbase at that time

Surely Sakurai isn't that dense, though he's proved me and many others wrong before...
I think Shrooby said it best, I honestly think if Ridley is a hazard he believes he's doing a service to the fans by putting him in the role of 'boss hazard' that he's been hyping up, and then teasing us along the way. I don't know why that'd be his mindset considering it's clear that we want him playable and a hazard is not what we want out of the character (no matter how special he considers it to be), but he has done weirder things.

It's one of the reasons why I'm so hesitant about this, I'd like to believe he's not stringing us along for a lackluster conclusion, but after the direct I honestly wouldn't put it past him to do just that.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
After the subject of the lava plume being gone from the FD version, it's pretty apparent that with or without Ridley, this is a lava stage far more likely than not. Though it seems kind of weird that they would have something that invasive WITH a boss, but it's definitely possible.
Plot twist: the lava itself is the boss.

JediLink

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure Sakurai knows that when people like a character, they want that character to be playable. That's why he made that troll post about Waluigi; he knew people were going to be disappointed.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
To me, Other M Ridley seems like it's going to be the playable version right now. The question is, will the other versions of Ridley be a boss/alt costume, or not show up?

I was so hoping for the Super Metroid Ridley to be playable too. *hopes for alt costume*

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm pretty sure Sakurai knows that when people like a character, they want that character to be playable. That's why he made that troll post about Waluigi; he knew people were going to be disappointed.
It seems like when it comes to shooting down characters, he's not afraid to do so.

He even outright stated that Waluigi was a try hard, basically a harsh word of advice towards the people that supported Waluigi.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Even though Yellow Devil works the same as other bosses do? And really, moving slowly and unaggressively isn't "bad boss behavior for the Smash series because other smash bosses didn't do it". It's objectively bad boss design. Take literally any boss you have ever fought. Now imagine instead of the actual fight, they walk slowly over to you, dry hump against you lazily / pick you up and hold you in a warm embrace and do nothing else.

Is that boss battle better or worse than it was before? And that's not even accounting for the weird treatment and the fact that Ridley is really small for a boss appearance. That's just looking at behavior that was definitely taking place.

In literally no setting is slow, languid, docile behavior from a strangely small boss ever a good idea. This isn't a "smash thing". And no, this doesn't prove the Ridley in the footage is not a boss; It proves that he is either playable or an awful boss.
How does Yellow Devil work the same way as other bosses? Other bosses aren't part of the game sometimes, and not others. They are the focus of the fight. Yellow isn't always there, he comes, moves around, throws some attacks. He's a hazard, not a main dish.

You can't take a single clip of a shadow of a boss and from there claim that because it looked a little slow, the whole boss fight is a little slow, and therefore he can't be a boss or he's a bad boss. This is self fulfilling garbage from someone who doesn't want Ridley to be a boss, and throws together arguments on the fly. You're blowing the arguments you're making way out of proportion. Did the shadow look a little weird? sure. There are a million reasons that could be the case. But start using tougher logic on your arguments, don't argue random crap just because you don't want Ridley to be a boss, it hurts the people who have found good arguments by giving naysayers things they can argue against well.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
How does Yellow Devil work the same way as other bosses? Other bosses aren't part of the game sometimes, and not others. They are the focus of the fight. Yellow isn't always there, he comes, moves around, throws some attacks. He's a hazard, not a main dish.

You can't take a single clip of a shadow of a boss and from there claim that because it looked a little slow, the whole boss fight is a little slow, and therefore he can't be a boss or he's a bad boss. This is self fulfilling garbage from someone who doesn't want Ridley to be a boss, and throws together arguments on the fly. You're blowing the arguments you're making way out of proportion. Did the shadow look a little weird? sure. There are a million reasons that could be the case. But start using tougher logic on your arguments, don't argue random crap just because you don't want Ridley to be a boss, it hurts the people who have found good arguments by giving naysayers things they can argue against well.
Well, he telegraphs his moves like a Brawl Boss. And though the disassembly is a ***** to dodge, its smoothly animated enough to give a little warning as to what its about to do like a Brawl boss. And it dies after enough damage like a Brawl boss.

Just because it lacks an obvious health bar and dies in a fiery explosion doesn't mean the rules established for a good, fun Smash boss battle have changed.

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
"They could scale him down like Bowser! See?"

I'm kidding.
My god, that made me laugh waaay harder than it probably should. Will never be unable to see that part without thinking of Ridley now if I ever watch Toy Story again.

Edit: This picture also immitates how I feel about Other M Ridley being playable instead of Super Metroid/Brawl Ridley.

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
That could certainly be possible. The only other metroid rep I can see taking his place is Sylux. Dark Samus is an assist trophy after all.

CCD23

Smash Cadet
After the subject of the lava plume being gone from the FD version, it's pretty apparent that with or without Ridley, this is a lava stage far more likely than not. Though it seems kind of weird that they would have something that invasive WITH a boss, but it's definitely possible.
I agree.

Also, something that I haven't seen anybody mention recently, is the amount of bosses that will appear as hazards on stages. The Smash Bros. Direct video seemed to imply that there might be more beyond Yellow Devil and "Ridley's" shadow. Regardless of whether Ridley is a boss or not, one boss seems ideal as they seem pretty disruptive to the flow of the fight. Two or more bosses seem excessive to me (especially if one really is on a stage with rising lava.) This sort of tilts the scales in favor of Ridley being included as a playable character in my opinion. I understand that different bosses will have different attacks, patterns, etc., but still. Thoughts?

Last edited:

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Why is the Super Metroid/Brawl Ridley so praised? Zero Mission Ridley is far superior and will always be Ridley's best design.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I agree.

Also, something that I haven't seen anybody mention recently, is the amount of bosses that will appear as hazards on stages. The Smash Bros. Direct video seemed to imply that there might be more beyond Yellow Devil and "Ridley's" shadow. Regardless of whether Ridley is a boss or not, one boss seems ideal as they seem pretty disruptive to the flow of the fight. Two or more bosses seem excessive to me (especially if one really is on a stage with rising lava.) This sort of tilts the scales in favor of Ridley being included as a playable character in my opinion. I understand that different bosses will have different attacks, patterns, etc., but still. Thoughts?
My guess is there will be at least two per version, since that is the only way for bosses to legitimately be plural. And I am assuming the Dark Emperor or whatever is also a boss.

But I also don't think EVERY STAGE has bosses; most stages probably have FD versions, but bosses probably aren't horribly common yeah.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
SCAN0146.JPG

DAMN...i had to do this quick little sketch....i find that Substitute plushie TOO ADORABLE....

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Why is the Super Metroid/Brawl Ridley so praised? Zero Mission Ridley is far superior and will always be Ridley's best design.
I think it's because Zero Ridley's differences from Super Ridley are kind of subtle, so most would view them as interchangeable maybe??

I think Other Ridley took a lot from Zero Ridley, actually. MAN did they miss the mark though. But like the pattern on the wings, the more downward facing and flat back of his head, the LANK. The little designs on the shoulders I think?? and maybe those KNEE SPIKES inspired the additional spikes on Other Ridley. Even if he doesn't have any on his knees...

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I think its because Super Ridley is so similar to Zero Ridley that fans just choose to lump them together as a single design. And they have a point, Zero Mission Ridley looks less like a brand new redesign and more of an update of Super Ridley with the art design of Fusion.

As for Brawl Ridley, I think its because its the only "official" 3D Ridley that isn't cybernetically enhanced or a steroid-ridden clone.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
This gives me a reason to repeat this once more and remind everyone of the objectiveness of my (and your's too, I guess) opinion.
Zero Mission Ridley DA BEEESS

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I want to say that the OP addresses a really great moveset and shows great potential as a character. By the way isn't Ridley like the most requested character in Japan atm? It would be shocking if he is not playable.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
I'm going to come back to this thread and feed off everyone's tears in here once you all realize he's not playable.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Every design of the Original Ridley are the best (ZM,SM/Brawl, Meta,Omega)....Roidley is just...outrageous...

Last edited:
Top Bottom